Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Guy A. Person posted:

Lol and not only did they gently caress it up badly, they were so impressed with the coffee intern’s suggestion on how to gently caress it up that they made him a writer then bragged about it. What complete dunderheads

“We had an assistant named Dave Hill,” say Benioff and Weiss. “One day last summer he walked into our office and said, ‘You know that kid whose family gets massacred by the wildlings? The one who runs to Castle Black to let them know the wildlings are nearby?’

‘Yeah?’

‘Well,’ said Dave, ‘doesn’t it make sense that he’d stay at Castle Black and become a Night’s Watch recruit? Where else is he going to go?’

‘You’re right,’ we said. ‘That does make sense.’

‘And what if during the battle for Castle Black, he’s the one who ends up killing Ygritte?’

This year, Dave Hill is a writer on the show.”

https://winteriscoming.net/2014/08/12/idea-landed-dave-hill-writing-position-game-thrones-season-5/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

emanresu tnuocca posted:

“We had an assistant named Dave Hill,” say Benioff and Weiss. “One day last summer he walked into our office and said, ‘You know that kid whose family gets massacred by the wildlings? The one who runs to Castle Black to let them know the wildlings are nearby?’

‘Yeah?’

‘Well,’ said Dave, ‘doesn’t it make sense that he’d stay at Castle Black and become a Night’s Watch recruit? Where else is he going to go?’

‘You’re right,’ we said. ‘That does make sense.’

‘And what if during the battle for Castle Black, he’s the one who ends up killing Ygritte?’

This year, Dave Hill is a writer on the show.”

https://winteriscoming.net/2014/08/12/idea-landed-dave-hill-writing-position-game-thrones-season-5/

Holy poo poo, I thought the whole "promoted an intern based on his **brilliant** idea" thing was, like, a bit or something :stare:

What the gently caress

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Yeah, that reads like some darkly comic humor piece, or a brilliant troll. Not reality :gonk:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The hilarious stinger to that one is that Dave Hill then went on to write the only legitimately good episode of the final season, A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms. The one that basically serves as a series finale if you wanted to get right up to the edge without actually falling into the abyss.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

nine-gear crow posted:

The hilarious stinger to that one is that Dave Hill then went on to write the only legitimately good episode of the final season, A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms. The one that basically serves as a series finale if you wanted to get right up to the edge without actually falling into the abyss.

Basically GoT's Citadel DLC.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Well, that was actually the one written by Bryan Cogman who is the other dweeby friend/PA-with-no-prior-writing-experience that they promoted and kept as a writer till the end. Easy to confuse the two of them.

I agree that that was probably the best episode of the final season, it was the only one I recall being even slightly happy about watching, because it had some character moments in it that didn't feel like total and absolute and absolute bullshit - and yeah, the show permanently and irrevocably jumped the shark immediately following that episode.

This reminds me of that graph that compared every GoT episode (grouped by season) based on the total number of words of dialogue in each of them:

Kinda speaks volumes. A Knight of Seven Kingdoms of course had the highest WPM out of the season 8 episodes. I loving love how the SERIES FINALE had marginally more dialogue than The Long Night, which was a never-ending battle scene in the dark. :bravo:

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Words are wind anyway.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Words are for eighth-grade book reports.

BTW this whole 'themes are for book reports' thing isn't a parody either, nothing about Benioff being a total privileged goof who was completely lacking the qualification or skills for his extremely high paying job is hyperbole.

quote:

When I asked Benioff and Weiss if it was possible to infer any overall intentionality to the upcoming 10 episodes, they sneered. “Themes are for eighth-grade book reports,” Benioff told me.

http://grantland.com/features/the-return-hbo-game-thrones/

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Too bad they got canned from doing the Star Wars thing cause now I wanna see what they do without someone else’s work to copy directly from.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I think we can probably infer that if it was too dumb for Star Wars, of all things, then it was really REALLY dumb.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I want to see how bad Confederate would have been.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

Too bad they got canned from doing the Star Wars thing cause now I wanna see what they do without someone else’s work to copy directly from.
It's almost a pity Disney is too big and too competent to let the machinery process them. I'd kind-of love it if the space wizard series became a full-on gravity well for wide audience derision and Disney scrambles to get Avatar to fill in the gap somehow.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You just know it would have opened with a cultured southern gentleman and his black steward (who is really just a good friend in his emply, really!) watching some plantation owner viciously beat HIS slave and shake their heads at each other. "Good thing we are nothing like that, huh, Theobald?"

Either that or the same 'good' slaveowner being 'forced' to discipline a slave that tried to escape. He doesn't -want- to, you see, but the system expects it of him! He feels so bad about it! Might even break down crying once he is back in his study, then compose himself and walk out with his dignified facade up once more.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's such a stupid concept honestly. The south basically could not have won the war, likewise, Germany basically could not have won WWII. Yet somehow people are so fascinated by "what if the racists won" in both cases. I wonder why...

Make an interesting show, like, what if Sherman finished what he started and just burned down every city in the South, and instead of the rise of the KKK and Jim Crow, the South wasn't a shithole to this day.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
At least Man in the High Castle had a not-completely-stupid reason the nazis won.

Basically the americans and russians never smuggled out all the scientists and the domino effect was germany got the bomb first and went absolutely nuts with it, plus some sci-fi poo poo, so the comparatively tiny army was able to conquer the world.

They literally needed magic and insane amounts of luck to pull it off.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sephyr posted:

Either that or the same 'good' slaveowner being 'forced' to discipline a slave that tried to escape. He doesn't -want- to, you see, but the system expects it of him! He feels so bad about it! Might even break down crying once he is back in his study, then compose himself and walk out with his dignified facade up once more.
This scene was absolutely something they were envisioning getting accolades for from the award circuit.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

My favorite visual degradation over time were the OPs for all the TVIV threads. The OPs would hyperlink to posts made on the day of each episode premiere and were full of plot synopsis, character profiles, gifs and quotes, all that good stuff.

Now compare those early OP posts to the last seasons and you can see just how far the enthusiasm dropped off.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

ruddiger posted:

Now compare those early OP posts to the last seasons and you can see just how far the enthusiasm dropped off.

I love when a show is way past its prime and the season thread after the downward trend is locked in (GoT season 6, Walking dead season 3, etc) and the threads go from excited theory crafting and 90 posts a minute to like 10 people shitposting and sharing memes.

Or when some giant show like Westworld has a 2 page thread by the end of the season.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Invalid Validation posted:

??? I feel like making a new Star Wars thing gives you plenty of opportunities to copy directly from the work of others.
See: everything Star Wars for the last 35 years

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Punkin Spunkin posted:

??? I feel like making a new Star Wars thing gives you plenty of opportunities to copy directly from the work of others.
See: everything Star Wars for the last 35 years

And the one Star Wars movie that tried to move on from that formula in the tiniest baby step way possible caused people to throw such a tantrum over it being different that Disney produced an entire movie dedicated to erasing it and going "We're sorry, we're soooo sorry, here's Just More Star Wars, Again, please like us again, please, please, please like us again, we're sorry".

I didn't care one rip for their Star Wars movie and if it got made or not, I sure as poo poo wasn't gonna go see it. No, what I wanted was to see them face the public over it. I wanted to see LucasFilm Ltd. force them to go to ComicCon and do a panel for it and stay for the Q&A session. Because they ducked out of the final post-GoT ComicCon panel like a week before they were scheduled to show up to it and then the SDCC organizers rapidly curtailed the panel and spiked the Q&A part rather than force the actors to weather the brunt of the nerdrage that was intended for Weiss and Benioff, who were hiding in their mansions at that very moment instead.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

What's the Star Wars movie that was any different? They're all exactly the same thing over and over again. They stopped being any different after the second one. Like the real second one, not the new second one. Dear lord, Star Wars really is a mess and I hate that I like the first three movies. The literal first three, not the timeline first three. Ugh.....

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

nurmie posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought the whole "promoted an intern based on his **brilliant** idea" thing was, like, a bit or something :stare:

What the gently caress

Lol

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

What's the Star Wars movie that was any different? They're all exactly the same thing over and over again. They stopped being any different after the second one. Like the real second one, not the new second one. Dear lord, Star Wars really is a mess and I hate that I like the first three movies. The literal first three, not the timeline first three. Ugh.....

This is playing with matches.

nine-gear crow posted:

I didn't care one rip for their Star Wars movie and if it got made or not, I sure as poo poo wasn't gonna go see it. No, what I wanted was to see them face the public over it. I wanted to see LucasFilm Ltd. force them to go to ComicCon and do a panel for it and stay for the Q&A session. Because they ducked out of the final post-GoT ComicCon panel like a week before they were scheduled to show up to it and then the SDCC organizers rapidly curtailed the panel and spiked the Q&A part rather than force the actors to weather the brunt of the nerdrage that was intended for Weiss and Benioff, who were hiding in their mansions at that very moment instead.
:same:

I wasn't gonna see anything they made but I was really looking forward to seeing them get lashed to the Disney Shriking Tree the instant they failed to make anything less than perfection for an audience that is perpetually angry that they're not 8 years old anymore.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

At least Man in the High Castle had a not-completely-stupid reason the nazis won.

Basically the americans and russians never smuggled out all the scientists and the domino effect was germany got the bomb first and went absolutely nuts with it, plus some sci-fi poo poo, so the comparatively tiny army was able to conquer the world.

They literally needed magic and insane amounts of luck to pull it off.

The Americans and Soviets didn't smuggle out the pre-war German scientists, they left on their own accord after being shut out.

Even if they hadn't left, they still wouldn't have been allowed to work on it (you know, Nazis). And ultimately the German nuclear program was such a complete sideshow that the concept of them beating the Americans (even the British really) to the bomb is preposterous. They maybe, mayyyybe come up with a nuclear reactor for U-boats. Short of aliens or time travel they're unlikely to do better.

Disclaimer: I have neither seen nor read High Castle.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Does MITHC involve alternate dimensions and poo poo?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Does MITHC involve alternate dimensions and poo poo?

Yes

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

"Remember the slave boy who escaped the plantation with that cruel master?"
Yeah
"Well...wouldn't it make sense for him to seek out the good slave masters plantation and hide there with the other slaves? Then when the bad slave owner tries to kill the main character the slave boy shoots him in the back with a musket?"
You're right...that does make sense.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

Barreft posted:

What, wait really? No way, you seriously gotta watch the last two.

I'll even gift you something from here if you watch them and livepost it, well uhh $10 max I dunno I never gifted anyone anything :toxx:, you must watch it and die inside.

How can you skip the last two?? COURAGE.
C'mon man. no one wants to listen to me poo poo on the series non stop for hours. I died inside when Arya left the Guild - walking off a gut wound, killing the person who trained her because "it's dark", and I honestly don't even remember why Jaquen let her live with all their secrets when he literally worships the god of death. It was all just kind of poo poo - the character development was crap, they were clearly just rushing from major plot point to major plot point. I stopped enjoying it at all. I missed part of the winterfell epidsode, and when I read at work that arya aced him, I couldn't bring myself to finish the episode when I got home that night. For the first time in years I really felt just "free" of this stupid series and the books that I'll never get to read.

Speaking of "things that aren't going to be finished ever". One of my clients had a space fighting game they were promoting in 2015 or so, and when doing research, I came across Star Citizen. I don't know - maybe everyone else knows about this game, but when this NFT ( crypto art ) thing started happening, one of my first thoughts was "Oh I'll bet that one Star Citizen game could make use of this to ensure the ships they are selling are unique". what a loving rabbit hole. I spent pretty much all my saturday just reading and reading and reading about this game. Holy. Crap. That dude is an Absolute Fucker of GRRM proportions, but like... if you don't know about this game, you really need to read up on it. I started reading blog posts from 2015 and moving forward in time, not skipping ahead to find out how it all ended. It was like reading a true crime novel or something. I started somewhere around here: https://www.polygon.com/features/2015/8/31/9211969/what-the-hell-is-going-on-with-star-citizen and was super excited when it even tied in with SA drama! I started reading through the SA threads, and it felt like the bad thread right about when Feast came out.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

TERFherder posted:

I died inside when Arya left the Guild - walking off a gut wound, killing the person who trained her because "it's dark",

And after going back to the Faceless Men to let them know that she killed her teacher Jaqen says "now a girl is no-one."

It's such a non-nonsensical thing to say and the ONLY reason it is said is so that Arya could go "No, I'm Arya Stark of Winterfell and I'm going home. :smuggo:"

Beef Stew
Dec 27, 2009
Also it seems like they go out of their way to make the faceless men feel small as hell. Like seriously it feels like there's literally two people in the entire thing, and arya murdered one of them.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

emanresu tnuocca posted:

GoT was ultimately a commercial endeavor orchestrated by GRRM and didn't care about all these things people are raging on, not a single gently caress given.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Beef Stew posted:

Also it seems like they go out of their way to make the faceless men feel small as hell. Like seriously it feels like there's literally two people in the entire thing, and arya murdered one of them.

It's a general problem of long-running series. In Homeland the CIA is five people who do all the missions, including its director who still and mostly does field work.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Kuiperdolin posted:

It's a general problem of long-running series. In Homeland the CIA is five people who do all the missions, including its director who still and mostly does field work.

Would be less of a problem in animation, as you can then easily fill up the background with people, as long no-one says anything. :v:

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I need to find out more about Jojen Paste I bet with the pandemic and not being able to do anything GRRM has been holed up just typing away on Winds I'm sure the ASOIAF thread will have an update about the upcoming release date so I don't have to search google and have clickbait articles follow me for another ten years

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Now that COVID is over I’m sure he’ll release it after such a hard year hunkered down at home working.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

TERFherder posted:

Speaking of "things that aren't going to be finished ever". One of my clients had a space fighting game they were promoting in 2015 or so, and when doing research, I came across Star Citizen. I don't know - maybe everyone else knows about this game, but when this NFT ( crypto art ) thing started happening, one of my first thoughts was "Oh I'll bet that one Star Citizen game could make use of this to ensure the ships they are selling are unique". what a loving rabbit hole. I spent pretty much all my saturday just reading and reading and reading about this game. Holy. Crap. That dude is an Absolute Fucker of GRRM proportions, but like... if you don't know about this game, you really need to read up on it. I started reading blog posts from 2015 and moving forward in time, not skipping ahead to find out how it all ended. It was like reading a true crime novel or something. I started somewhere around here: https://www.polygon.com/features/2015/8/31/9211969/what-the-hell-is-going-on-with-star-citizen and was super excited when it even tied in with SA drama! I started reading through the SA threads, and it felt like the bad thread right about when Feast came out.

The thing is unlike GRRM, :crobear: has absolutely no focus or vision and the reason his project is not going anywhere is not a lack of will but a lack of competence.
If you haven't watched them already, the -goon made- Sunk Cost Galaxy videos are a great way to catch up with this insane project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGq4YEp8QUY

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

benioff and weiss would be a good fit for the wheel of times series

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

No that's a stupid reason. Nuclear physics was considered "jewish science" and Hitler was completely uninterested in it. They didn't have a lot of uranium and repeatedly failed to start a chain reaction with what they had. And lastly the german scientists actually had ethical qualms about using nuclear power for military use and silently agreed to develop it for civilian uses only (one of the german scientists became so distressed about the nuclear bombings of Japan that his colleagues feared he would commit suicide).

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The Nazis couldn't take over the world or defeat the US but the war could have easily ended with something other than total nazi surrender, and Europe could have looked very different today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Make a Kaiserreich series you cowards.