Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Yesterday I randomly picked up "There is no Antimemitics Division" by qntm. It's an SCP novel about the group tasked with handling phenomena that erase memories of themselves. It's pretty good, easily worth the $3.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I didn't know he'd published it. His antimemetics stuff is good, as someone who's only read a bit of SCP over the years.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

The antimemetics stuff is legitimately well done I think.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So I'm nearly done with the first volume of The Two of Swords. Read most of it in one day, so classic Parker. It really is a greatest hits of the kinds of things he's interested in, most of them having to do with music, the military, and saying "Quite" and "So that's all right then."

There's a scene which is very similar to a part of Sixteen Way to Defend a Walled City where a the military is making their way back to what they believe is safety, but everybody seems to have vanished. No farmers in fields, entire towns deserted. It's great for suspense, though I do feel he's used this trick before.

The switching POVs which bring us from a lowly farmboy to the emperor of one half of the Empire in ascending order is a nice trick. Really effective for showing the scale of the conflict and the different ways it affects everyone. And the way it switches before we get a chance to find out what happens to a certain character and his wife really layers on the suspense. I will be a bit disgusted if the wife ends up dead though, because Parker has not had the greatest track record of writing women.

We do get one woman as a POV character though, and she's probably the best of the bunch. Apparently she also becomes the sole POV for the last third of the narrative. So that's all right then.

He's great with economy of storytelling. If Parker was writing A Song of Ice and Fire the drat thing would have concluded in 3 books and still covered the same events. I've tried to figure out how he decides what to describe, and figured that he only depicts a scene as far as it reveals power dynamic or is irritating to the characters. In a desert? It's hot, there are 3 clouds of sand on the horizon that indicate the enemy. Done. Got a palace scene? It's really bright when a character enters which makes them have to hesitate to figure out if the emperor has already sat down. It's just enough, but I feel like if Parker was a novice submitting this to a writing group he'd be called out constantly for not establishing his setting enough.

Finally there are a few times where he needs to break away to do some world building info dumps. In the sections that work he makes them into mini-stories that are entertaining enough on their own to suffer through. Like the explanation of how a mysterious order was founded has its origins in a castle that was a mess of never-ending construction and expanding scope. That's a funny enough idea to sustain an info dump. There's a couple other instances that aren't so successful, where I skimmed.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

ulmont posted:

It's better than this recommendation. Read it, but don't expect Low Town to change your life.

Second. It's fun and gritty. The main character gets his rear end kicked a lot and is a growly murder man but it's an enjoyable ride.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

ulmont posted:

It's better than this recommendation.

I mean, i took the time out of my life to say it was fun on a dead comedy forum. :shrug:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Harold Fjord posted:

Yesterday I randomly picked up "There is no Antimemitics Division" by qntm. It's an SCP novel about the group tasked with handling phenomena that erase memories of themselves. It's pretty good, easily worth the $3.

Yes the antimemetics stuff is very good, even if you're generally sick of the SCP schtick. I'm glad he can make money off it.\

As a teaser of the tone there's this part about a containment chamber that you can't enter or leave without taking a huge dose of amnestics and having ALL evidence of what's inside it wiped from your mind and physical state. We finally get to see a character go inside, and it's just full of...Notes. Notes which say: "This is an inverse containment chamber. The phenomenon under 'containment' occupies every part of the world NOT inside this chamber. The moment you leave, you will be infected again. The only work that can be done against it happens inside this chamber. And you can't carry that work back outside or it will all be for nothing.

It's loving great.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 15, 2021

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
What other detective or mystery fantasy/sci-fi novels would people recommend?

Books/series I have that fit into what I’m looking for

Discworld Night Watch books
City of Stairs
Dresden Files
7 1/2 deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 15, 2021

coathat
May 21, 2007

Red Dust by Yoss

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

General Battuta posted:

Yes the antimemetics stuff is very good, even if you're generally sick of the SCP schtick. I'm glad he can make money off it.

Is it something you need familiarity with SCP to enjoy? Antimemetics Division sounds like my jam, but all I've read of SCP is a little of the wiki when someone linked an entry now and then.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I recently finished playing Hollow Knight and really want to read a novelization of that story. Which I know doesn't exist so I'm looking for the next best thing. Something where the world/universe/whatever feels alien and is focused on the immediate surroundings/area. Where the story follows a single character who has a purpose/goal but the story is about revealing more to the reader as opposed to the character from the book growing and learning. Anyone able to recommend something like that?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kestral posted:

Is it something you need familiarity with SCP to enjoy? Antimemetics Division sounds like my jam, but all I've read of SCP is a little of the wiki when someone linked an entry now and then.

Not particularly. It has a little bit of jargon but its a pretty bog standard thing if you know anything about SCP at all

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

nessin posted:

I recently finished playing Hollow Knight and really want to read a novelization of that story. Which I know doesn't exist so I'm looking for the next best thing. Something where the world/universe/whatever feels alien and is focused on the immediate surroundings/area. Where the story follows a single character who has a purpose/goal but the story is about revealing more to the reader as opposed to the character from the book growing and learning. Anyone able to recommend something like that?

The Book of the New Sun?

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

theblackw0lf posted:

Randall Garrett's Lord Darcy stories.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

theblackw0lf posted:

City of Stairs
Dresden Files

Admittedly, I dropped off like 4 books in, but Rivers of London sounds like that.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Paul Cornell's London Falling and its sequels fit with these as well.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

City of Stairs
Dresden Files

The City & The City by China Mieville.

I wish I could recommend Irontown Blues by John Varley because its prequel, The Golden Globe, is one of my favourite scifi books ever, but unfortunately it sucks.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

freebooter posted:

The City & The City by China Mieville.

Mieville's Kraken is also a pretty good supernatural mystery.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Really, most of UF that isn't paranormal romance does fit. Rivers of London would be another good tip.

Anyhow, for straight-up fantasy there's always the Garrett PI series by Glen Cook and the recently discussed Low Town by Daniel Polansky.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 16, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

nessin posted:

I know I recommend her a lot but this is what CJ Cherryh does and she does it really well. The first book of hers I read was Finity's End, knowing nothing about it, and it was amazing.

There's some of that in Ursula K Le Guin's 'Always Coming Home' too, though that might not be quite what you mean. Worth a look though. It's a far-future America where society has shifted and the main viewpoint character never explains anything because why would she?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

City of Stairs
Dresden Files

Seconding the Lord Darcy and Rivers of London recs. Paul Cornell's Shadow Police series is ... okay, but not great, IMO. If you really like Cornell and Aaronovitch, Mike Carey's Felix Castor series might also work for you.

Maybe Alfred Bester's The Demolished Man, although that's about a murderer trying to escape detection. You might also enjoy George Alec Effinger's Marid Audran series (When Gravity Fails et al.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Bridge of Birds and the other Li Kao books by Barry Hughart are pretty much fantasy-mystery stories, especially the second two.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

theblackw0lf posted:

City of Stairs
Dresden Files

Absolutely Felix Castor.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Girl with All the Gifts by MR Carey - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CO7FLFG/

The Book of Koli (Rampart #1) by MR Carey - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W54MPDZ/

American Gods by Neil Gaiman - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004YW4L5K/

Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FCKENQ/

The Dragon's Path (The Dagger and the Coin #1) by Daniel Abraham - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047Y16LC/

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

anilEhilated posted:

Anyhow, for straight-up fantasy there's always the Garrett PI series by Glen Cook.

I love Garrett, but if you go down this road treat it like Dune: start at the beginning and quit when you don’t like a book because it won’t get better.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

theblackw0lf posted:

City of Stairs
Dresden Files

Lois McMaster Bujold's World of Five God Series is essentially a fantasy mystery series especially the Penric and Desdemona stories.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Thanks for the recommendations so far everyone!

fez_machine posted:

Lois McMaster Bujold's World of Five God Series is essentially a fantasy mystery series especially the Penric and Desdemona stories.

I’m guessing I should start with Curse of Chalion?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

theblackw0lf posted:

Thanks for the recommendations so far everyone!

I’m guessing I should start with Curse of Chalion?

A lot of the mysteries centre on how the world works and reading in publishing order unfolds that element elegantly.

It even starts off immediately with it's own mini-mystery.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

What are good novellas/short stories that came out in the last year? I'm doing my Hugo noms and I realized that while I have my top five novels squared away, I haven't really gone through any shorter stuff. Anybody have recommendations or favorites for stuff that came out in the last year?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ulmont posted:

I love Garrett, but if you go down this road treat it like Dune: start at the beginning and quit when you don’t like a book because it won’t get better.

There's a really sharp drop at Red Iron Nights but it does pick up, and I think the series finishes on a strong note.

The Lord Darcy stories are very good.

The Chalion series through the Penric novellas are first rate, they'd establish her as a grandmaster even if the Vorkosigan saga hadn't happened. Since it did, she has two Hugos for Best Series instead of just one. Bujold is obviously having fun writing them; the Penrics are self-published ebooks, but people come around and throw money at her for the print rights. There's very little of the usual business hassle with agents, contracts, and publishers, she just writes what she wants to write. They're also a marvel of worldbuilding, especially the religious aspect. You could start with the Penric series, but the novels are too drat good to skip for long.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

theblackw0lf posted:

City of Stairs
Dresden Files

"Point of Hopes" and sequels by Melissa Scott and Lisa Barnett.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

Anyhow, for straight-up fantasy there's always the Garrett PI series by Glen Cook

I re-read the first one of these last year sometime and good gravy was there a lot of misogyny and violence against women that I had completely forgotten about.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

mllaneza posted:

There's a really sharp drop at Red Iron Nights but it does pick up, and I think the series finishes on a strong note.

The Lord Darcy stories are very good.

The Chalion series through the Penric novellas are first rate, they'd establish her as a grandmaster even if the Vorkosigan saga hadn't happened. Since it did, she has two Hugos for Best Series instead of just one. Bujold is obviously having fun writing them; the Penrics are self-published ebooks, but people come around and throw money at her for the print rights. There's very little of the usual business hassle with agents, contracts, and publishers, she just writes what she wants to write. They're also a marvel of worldbuilding, especially the religious aspect. You could start with the Penric series, but the novels are too drat good to skip for long.

I also quite like the scale. It is nice to have the stakes be personal, not world, or nation, and barely even city-scale. Cool to have a competent and powerful protagonist do competent and powerful things that don't require the Galaxy at Risk.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Almost forgot, the third book of the Lady Astronaut series is a locked room murder. I liked the first two books, but I really liked #3.

First book:
https://smile.amazon.com/Calculating-Stars-Lady-Astronaut-Novel-ebook/dp/B0756JH5R1/

The Relentless Moon is the mystery.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

theblackw0lf posted:

City of Stairs
Dresden Files

Last Policeman trilogy.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Teddybear posted:

What are good novellas/short stories that came out in the last year? I'm doing my Hugo noms and I realized that while I have my top five novels squared away, I haven't really gone through any shorter stuff. Anybody have recommendations or favorites for stuff that came out in the last year?

Empress of Salt and Fortune (I haven't read the second, but it's literally sitting on the entry table waiting it's turn)
Ring Shout
Half-God of Rain

Ghost of Sherwood and Heirs of Locksley were both real fun, but I'm not sure if they're Hugo Nom good.
Finna
Silver in the Wood and Drowned country maybe.

Um, I reviewed maybe a dozen towards the end of last year. Like October. Shouldn't be too hard to find, I don't post here too much.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Nebula shortlist just dropped.

Pretty solid list for novels, though I feel like everyone else liked The City We Became a lot more than I did. Piranesi is going to get my top vote, no doubt.

I enjoyed Midnight Bargain quite a lot, though I'm not sure I'd have picked it as one of my top 5 novels of the year.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

mllaneza posted:

I’d agree that it picks up and ends better than the last Black Company book, but I did not like the last Garrett book and there is a long dire slog in the middle that I can’t recommend powering through unless you were just buying each new one at the time.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Poor CL Polk (nonbinary afaik) is going to have shrug off a whole lot of "all women best novel slate" posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

General Battuta posted:

Poor CL Polk (nonbinary afaik) is going to have shrug off a whole lot of "all women best novel slate" posts.

Yeah, that's going to be unpleasant for them.