Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

having dropped both in their early episodes before going back to them, i'd say Divers at least has a better start. ReRise is really committing their full series run to a story so it's a slower burn for everything vs Divers just kinda jumping around some fun episodic adventures and having lull periods before each cour coalesces into an overarching plot.

Divers isn't essential though, so you can skip through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shazaminator posted:

Yo, what are people’s opinions of Build Divers? Last proper Gundam I watched was IBO, loved season one but kind of fizzled out on the second one. I Ioved Build Fighters, but Build Divers looks very different- a bit too SAO at first glance - and although I’ve heard very good things about ReRise I don’t hear much about the original Build Divers. Is ReRise worth muddling through the first series? I absolutely love all the 00 Gundam variations on the wiki, for what it’s worth.

They're both kind of awful but the first Divers is absolutely wretched.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

dogsicle posted:

having dropped both in their early episodes before going back to them, i'd say Divers at least has a better start. ReRise is really committing their full series run to a story so it's a slower burn for everything vs Divers just kinda jumping around some fun episodic adventures and having lull periods before each cour coalesces into an overarching plot.

Divers isn't essential though, so you can skip through

The first few episodes of Divers are absolutely awful because they spend an absolutely ridiculous amount of time basically looking at the camera and explaining to the audience what an MMO is and how the rules of the MMO work. I'm reasonably sure they spend at least like three minutes in aggregate explaining what a quest is.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Midjack posted:

They're both kind of awful but the first Divers is absolutely wretched.

Counterpoint: ReRise is a master class in slow burn, character driven narrative that focuses on relationships between the characters and healthy resolution to trauma.

I haven't committed a ranking to paper, but ReRise is absolutely in my Top 5 Gundam.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The actual reason CG looks like poo poo and everyone reacts badly to it is that CG animation never gets the tweens right, hth

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Warmachine posted:

Counterpoint: ReRise is a master class in slow burn, character driven narrative that focuses on relationships between the characters and healthy resolution to trauma.

I haven't committed a ranking to paper, but ReRise is absolutely in my Top 5 Gundam.

You have a point, it was extremely satisfying to watch the protagonists get wrecked halfway through.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Re Rise understood that the build shows live and die by their characters, which is one of the main reasons try and the first build divers sucked so hard. Re Rise does a really good job of having each character go through an arc and it ties these character arcs and themes to the overarching plot and antagonist.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Kanos posted:

The first few episodes of Divers are absolutely awful because they spend an absolutely ridiculous amount of time basically looking at the camera and explaining to the audience what an MMO is and how the rules of the MMO work. I'm reasonably sure they spend at least like three minutes in aggregate explaining what a quest is.

it's just a different kind of annoyance to me. Divers paid off earlier by throwing out bones like Kyoya vs Rommel, Magee, intros for Tigerwolf and Shahryar etc. ReRise was busy being so painstaking about everything that all that time was spent with the mishmash team beating their heads against generic missions for boring NPCs with only Parviz pulling out any development. beyond that 1/4 point they were pretty even for me until Divers closed out the Break Decal arc. after that it's mostly carried by one-off eps.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!
Thanks for the input folks. I’ll just crack on with ReRise and see how it fares.

I have to say I’m really unsure on the Core Gundam, though, without any armour, with those stumpy legs and arms. The proportions are kind of halfway between a regular and an SD Gundam and my brain keeps trying to parse it as one or the other and it just feels weird.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Shazaminator posted:

Thanks for the input folks. I’ll just crack on with ReRise and see how it fares.

I have to say I’m really unsure on the Core Gundam, though, without any armour, with those stumpy legs and arms. The proportions are kind of halfway between a regular and an SD Gundam and my brain keeps trying to parse it as one or the other and it just feels weird.

There's a good reason for why it is what it is but it won't come up until way later in the series. As it is, think of it as...well, the core of the Gundam. A Core Fighter made Gundam. It's small because it needs to wear the armour parts.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Midjack posted:

You have a point, it was extremely satisfying to watch the protagonists get wrecked halfway through.

I mean, this is when most people who were chilly on ReRise in this thread sat up and started paying attention. The writers cashed in on the apathy pretty well. I think Par's speech in Seltzam's Deadline kinda presented the thesis of the series, and at least personally I think the show delivered on that thesis. Heck, the ending of that episode doesn't work without the midseason finale being what it is.

Blaze Dragon posted:

There's a good reason for why it is what it is but it won't come up until way later in the series. As it is, think of it as...well, the core of the Gundam. A Core Fighter made Gundam. It's small because it needs to wear the armour parts.

Yeah, the Core Gundam isn't really meant to operate on its own. Usually Hiroto brings one or more armor fliers with him, one as the primary armor and the other as his hot spare/base jabber. It's part of how they establish that Hiroto knows what the gently caress is up, and that he actually has experience informing how he does things.

I skipped Build Divers, but comparing it to BF and BFT, Hiroto is the only one of the protagonists who strikes me as having actual experience informing his actions.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Warmachine posted:

I skipped Build Divers, but comparing it to BF and BFT, Hiroto is the only one of the protagonists who strikes me as having actual experience informing his actions.

Probably because he is. Neither Reiji nor Sekai had any Gunpla Battle or even Gundam knowledge before their series began. Sei had the latter, but very little of the former. Riku's just a void of personality so there's nothing to be found there. Hiroto's the only one that's an experienced protagonist from day one.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Blaze Dragon posted:

Probably because he is. Neither Reiji nor Sekai had any Gunpla Battle or even Gundam knowledge before their series began. Sei had the latter, but very little of the former. Riku's just a void of personality so there's nothing to be found there. Hiroto's the only one that's an experienced protagonist from day one.

I checked a few profile things and it looks like Hiroto's been playing GBN for six years. KO-1's profile said GPD shut down four years before Divers, then two years between Divers and Re:Rise. Then again Hiroto doesn't look 11 at the farewell tournament, but maybe they didn't want to do another character design for him.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

wdarkk posted:

I checked a few profile things and it looks like Hiroto's been playing GBN for six years. KO-1's profile said GPD shut down four years before Divers, then two years between Divers and Re:Rise. Then again Hiroto doesn't look 11 at the farewell tournament, but maybe they didn't want to do another character design for him.

Didn't GBN already exist and have been a thing before Divers? I thought the point of it, at least from what little I watched of the first episode, was that Riku was new to the game, but it had already been established game at that point?

God drat it, now I'm watching GBD to answer this question.

edit: who tf just takes bites out of a tomato like it's a goddamn apple?

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 17, 2021

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Gbn existed prior to RIku showing up It's been around for a little while, as the break decal guy was pissed that the old system of fighting with actual kits was not used anymore

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So I don't want to watch Build Divers again, but the wiki page on KO-1 says the MMO was around for at least four years before Divers started. We see the moment the scene switched in Re:Rise episode 19 (presumably KO-1 was quitting just then), Re:Rise takes place two years after Divers, so that's a flashback to six years ago.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm just impressed that Gaius got a cel animation scene literally demonstration the exact complaint given about CG and responded to it with "No, but it's good there, because it's not CG."

It makes perfect sense in my head, the way CGI looks compared to Cels but I cannot for the life of me figure out a way to express my opinion correctly.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

Warmachine posted:

edit: who tf just takes bites out of a tomato like it's a goddamn apple?

This is my favourite question to show up in a Gundam thread

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Gaius Marius posted:

It makes perfect sense in my head, the way CGI looks compared to Cels but I cannot for the life of me figure out a way to express my opinion correctly.

That's totally valid and fair, but you gotta admit that was pretty funny

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ramadu posted:

That's totally valid and fair, but you gotta admit that was pretty funny

Yeah, pretty much.

CG has much more of a problem with impact than cell animation most of the time, yes. (Probably since if you're going to draw someone punching, drawing the feedback is part of the basic process, but if you're doing CG, you have to go to a bit more effort to have things deform and respond properly).

The thing is, a lot of people notice the real trend, and then extend it to assume it applies to all cases. There's really good looking CG (Spiderverse is one of the best looking animated films, period) and there's a lot of awful hand drawn stuff (Chargeman Ken), so treating CG as the problem rather than a tool that can be used well or poorly just feels like it lowers the level of discussion.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
IBO S2E2. All I must ask is who is the absolute unit with no eyes that talks to Hush? Dude is a literal brick.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

IBO S2E2. All I must ask is who is the absolute unit with no eyes that talks to Hush? Dude is a literal brick.

Dane. He's one of the main new hires in season 2, along with Zack and Hush. And yeah. He's absurdly huge, even by the standards of IBO, where a guy being 6 foot even is kind of short.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Shirobako up here in this thread.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

shirogundam

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

shirogundam

I mean, they did have an episode focused on Not!Ideon.

Also, in case anyone cares, the latest SD Gundam show finally resumed.

It's still somehow more boring than Build Divers.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ladies and gentlemen, they're making Gunpla real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-GP4PDnKH8

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Coming off of Divers's mediocrity, I was cautious going into ReRise and was pleasantly surprised at how good it became. I think what sealed it for me was how ReRise felt like it was written by someone who actually played MMOs. You get the obnoxious streamer obsessed with getting cheevos, the person playing their very first MMO and only wants to make friends, and the main character comes across as who's completely burnt out by the game due to the constant guild raids.

Midjack posted:

The way Freddie's brother tried in vain to shield a little kid seconds before they got vaporized by the space laser was a powerful moment. Same with how the laser impact caused this massive shockwave that damaged a huge portion of the planet.

Shazaminator posted:

He's just a little Gundam, just a little birthday boy. You're gonna bully a little Gundam on his birthday? :v:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

If zeon had won the one year war how long do you think it would have been until the zabis started killing each other

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Trick question, even without char or the white base up in their poo poo the Zabis would have started killing each other before the war was over

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Stairmaster posted:

If zeon had won the one year war how long do you think it would have been until the zabis started killing each other

Considering what Kycillia did to Sasro I'm surprised they lasted as long into the war without killing one another as they did.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Depends which Zabis are left.

Garma's pretty unlikely to try to kill his family members, for example, while Gihren views family as enemies who don't have the guts to kill you... yet.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Trick question, even without char or the white base up in their poo poo the Zabis would have started killing each other before the war was over

Yeah at the bare minimum Kycilia and Gihren would have tried to ambush and murder each other before the war was over in order to be the one in charge in the post-war era, win or lose. I don't think Dozle or Garma would kill their own family members - they're both too wrapped up in heroic fantasy and/or loyal to the family to do so. Had Degwin lived, he might have eventually tried to kill Kycilia or Gihren if he saw their lust for power becoming too dangerous.

After the Kycilia/Gihren blowup, it depends on who wins. Gihren would have absolutely continued the murder spree for as long as he felt he could get away with it just to remove potential threats to his own power, I think. Kycilia probably would have left the others alone provided they acknowledged her supremacy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Garma never had any real power and Dozle cared enough for his family to ignore how awful they all were. It's understandable those two got along so well. There's not much reason to see either of them as being particularly ambitious to the point where they would kill their own family, so they would probably just end up as pawns on either side of a Kycilia / Gihren civil war.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I just started victory Gundam and this poo poo sucks what on earth

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ramadu posted:

I just started victory Gundam and this poo poo sucks what on earth

Tomino was pissed Sunrise was bought by Bandai, and he was taking it out on Gundam in an attempt to destroy it.

It's not great.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Victory goes some places but it must be seen to be believed

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm gonna defend Victory somewhat: it has some really cool fights/designs despite the low budget, and a good soundtrack.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I can't exactly say I loved Victory but it definitely went to some ott places and had excellent mechanical designs. The whole bug theme theme for a lot of Zanscare's mobile suits plus the middle ages power of motorcycles is genuinely a high point. Also I love the V2.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I liked Victory enough but I'm also going to cherish my memories and never ever refresh them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm gonna defend Victory somewhat: it has some really cool fights/designs despite the low budget, and a good soundtrack.

I woulda posted both these if you hadn't already.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I can't exactly say I loved Victory but it definitely went to some ott places and had excellent mechanical designs. The whole bug theme theme for a lot of Zanscare's mobile suits plus the middle ages power of motorcycles is genuinely a high point. Also I love the V2.

Zanscare suit design is underrated as hell, The Zoloat, Zollida, Zolo, Gengaozo, and Shokew are top tier enemy suits in my books. The Rotors and Beam wires also lend themselves to breaking up some of the more stereotypical gundam combat.

Victory also has some of the legit coolest moments in the franchise