Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Not Gundam but the 30mm (30 minute mission) kits are cool and give a good idea of how modern kits work. Both are from Bandai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Given the RG Evas exceptionally high quality I don't know why you'd go for a much older HG Eva kit.

currently building the new RG eva 01 and agreeing with this. the engineering on this kit is incredible

https://twitter.com/kuvosa/status/1370918933130190849

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Kuvo posted:

currently building the new RG eva 01 and agreeing with this. the engineering on this kit is incredible

https://twitter.com/kuvosa/status/1370918933130190849

I too got this kit and am currently in the middle of the legs cause I'm slow and lazy. They are so articulate and detailed, and unlike the RG Gundams with a snap out frame, this has legit engineering for the joints which I greatly appreciate.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Gaius Marius posted:

God I wanna do that up in Titans colors so bad

Honestly, the most difficult thing about building a Dendro is how much extra detailing makes it look better because of it's excessive "Big flat and bland" panels, and finding enough decent decals to break up the surfaces. I burned a ton of random sheets I had kicking around, including a P-Bandai Unicorn sheet, and bought a few sets of Stardust Memories decals. Loose-building the larger parts like the main hull, pods, etc helps with painting.

I also stuffed mine with LEDs and an arduino, so I have burning thrusters, a cycling i-field and a red glow coming from the side of the i-field. I've posted it before, and it's been updated so the i-field cycle animation looks smoother, but here's a vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOcZhGh2g5U

Recolouring it to Titans would be pretty easy. The only issue you'd run into is because of the size of the model, it'd need a decent hard topcoat to protect against chipping/scratches, because they would stick out like hell.

e. god, I forgot how stuttery and glitchy that old i-field anim was.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Bit much for a first-timer though.

What you want is the High Grade RX-78-02 Beyond Global. It literally exists to demonstrate all the snazzy new things Bandai kits can do.

So funny story - being in my mid 30s with two brothers close in age, we all watched Eva together in high school on borrowed VHS copies and they generally like crafting/modeling/lego/cars/etc. So for Christmas this year I gave them each one of the RG Evas (Units 00 and 02), keeping 01 for myself and some flat nippers. The next few days of constant texts about "what the gently caress is this" and "we're all going blind" and "holy poo poo how small is this piece" and "what the hell, the articulation is crazy" was an absolute blast. They both had a great time and powered through it that weekend.

So yes, starting with an RG kit first is being thrown into the deep end of the pool. But for many that's a whole lot of fun.

I too got this kit and am currently in the middle of the legs cause I'm slow and lazy. They are so articulate and detailed, and unlike the RG Gundams with a snap out frame, this has legit engineering for the joints which I greatly appreciate.

What really impressed me was how they dealt with muscles. The way the forearms and wrists work is really neat, as are the legs.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
The rib cage is also great. It's just so discomforting building what is essentially a living thing made from metal.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Most modern RG Gundams have left the snap out frame behind. The Sazabi, the Nu, and the Unicorn are basically palm sized RGs.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Puddin posted:

The rib cage is also great. It's just so discomforting building what is essentially a living thing made from metal.

Yeah, that's where the RG kits get creepy in the best possible way.

I just think there's a major gap in skill between the RG and the old HG kits. And I have weird tastes.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bandai really needs to step up for the next eva kit and provide a tiny homonculus that you fit the frame on

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Gaius Marius posted:

Bandai really needs to step up for the next eva kit and provide a tiny homonculus that you fit the frame on

So what you're saying is you want a HiRM Eva?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

chiasaur11 posted:

Most modern RG Gundams have left the snap out frame behind. The Sazabi, the Nu, and the Unicorn are basically palm sized RGs.

This is true, but a huge portion of the catalogue is still produced with them. You're going to run into them more often than not in the RG line until you get to the newer ones.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

This is true, but a huge portion of the catalogue is still produced with them. You're going to run into them more often than not in the RG line until you get to the newer ones.

It's just a shame it took loving up the Sinanju to learn the lesson that they don't need the standardized frame in every RG :sigh:.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Finishing up with the weapons and remaining stickers on my very first gunpla ever (stuck with the HG Mk 2) and outside of some super minor scratches when snipping and having one hell of a time putting stickers on at first... this actually wasn’t too bad at all. Kinda calming really.

Honestly I think I’ll build a few more so I can work on some stuff (namely snipping a bit better). I posted my order list a page or two back but I also impulse-bought the HG Moon Gundam because it looked nice so.. uh, I guess this will be my new hobby for a bit

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
The HG Moon Gundam's a fantastic kit, good impulse buy.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I did the Moon a while back, it's excellent.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Thoughts on the new Sunrise/Bandai franchise?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0vKPM52sgk

I'm liking the designs so far, and the fact that the kits are being designed by the god that made the G40 makes me hopeful for awesomness.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

More mecha is fine by me considering it's been like 5 goddamn years since we got a proper Au.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Xaerael posted:

I'm liking the designs so far, and the fact that the kits are being designed by the god that made the G40 makes me hopeful for awesomness.

Looks pretty rad. I'm digging the different knee and elbow designs.

I'm all for more Industrial Design kits. I absolutely loved the g40, I wish they did a Zaku as well.

It would be fun to kitbash these and Gundam kits together.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Still using the IBO level of extreme hourglass waist I see.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Xaerael posted:

i'll absolutely watch it and pray it doesn't disintegrate in the back half like every other promising mecha anime in the last 10 years I enjoyed.

I'm a lot more excited about this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSIIjQ_KX3o Gundam Build Real

Live action show streaming on gundam's youtube channel with a VR-Oculus lookalike take on Build shenanigans.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/House_of_Champs/status/1372728550210560000

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

More 30MS info

https://twitter.com/30msisters/status/1372745531173171211?s=20

And new 30MM kits, the Spinatia

https://twitter.com/30mmissions/status/1372722012922126340?s=20

https://twitter.com/30mmissions/status/1372723260694032388?s=20

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Looks like the Spinatia/o kits are just meant to be direct 30MM analogues for the 30MS line for cross-compatibility.

Also :lol: at the customizable body parts. Not surprised about that at all.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Looks like the Spinatia/o kits are just meant to be direct 30MM analogues for the 30MS line for cross-compatibility.

Also :lol: at the customizable body parts. Not surprised about that at all.

They listed the prices for the parts too. Mostly not too surprising, but the faces are pretty expensive since they come painted, rather than having decals, which also explains why the default kit costs about ten bucks more than a 30mm kit.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I was considering buying 3 Leo's and an RX-78-2 Revive... but I already have an RX-78-2 (the Origin) and a Leo full weapons Kit on the way. And I've... not yet really purchased a 'Dupe' kit. I dunno if I should. Especially because I'm still not set up for painting and they'd just be... duplicate kits, no real customization. And I don't really have to fear that the Leo will not be reprinted.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Onmi posted:

I was considering buying 3 Leo's and an RX-78-2 Revive... but I already have an RX-78-2 (the Origin) and a Leo full weapons Kit on the way. And I've... not yet really purchased a 'Dupe' kit. I dunno if I should. Especially because I'm still not set up for painting and they'd just be... duplicate kits, no real customization. And I don't really have to fear that the Leo will not be reprinted.

Get some 30MM kits instead. Even if you do buy more than one of the same kit, they sure won't be identical by the time you're done with them :shepspends:.

chiasaur11 posted:

They listed the prices for the parts too. Mostly not too surprising, but the faces are pretty expensive since they come painted, rather than having decals, which also explains why the default kit costs about ten bucks more than a 30mm kit.

They won't be painted, it'll almost certainly be Bandai's amazing layered-plastic printing technology.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Get some 30MM kits instead. Even if you do buy more than one of the same kit, they sure won't be identical by the time you're done with them :shepspends:.

They won't be painted, it'll almost certainly be Bandai's amazing layered-plastic printing technology.

Says "Employs tampo printing!" in the tweet, so it's definitely not just layered plastic. (Tampo printing also explains why three faceplates cost more than a full replacement body.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

Says "Employs tampo printing!" in the tweet, so it's definitely not just layered plastic. (Tampo printing also explains why three faceplates cost more than a full replacement body.)

Huh, fair enough :shrug:. I'd have thought a line like 30MS would be pretty ideal for them to put that tech into serious mass-production.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Onmi posted:

A Leo full weapons comes with far too many weapons for just a single Leo. Surely you recognize that lions are social creatures.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Onmi posted:

Yeah, if you have a full weapons kit on the way then no issue picking up another Leo or two. There's enough stuff in there to make at least three distinct Leo's. Dunno about grabbing the revive if you already have any Origin Grandpa though. I could see getting the G40 or Beyond Global versions though. They have enough differences between them and the Origin.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Rabbi Tupac posted:

Yeah, if you have a full weapons kit on the way then no issue picking up another Leo or two. There's enough stuff in there to make at least three distinct Leo's. Dunno about grabbing the revive if you already have any Origin Grandpa though. I could see getting the G40 or Beyond Global versions though. They have enough differences between them and the Origin.

So I have plans for Grandpas. So I wanna make a G-3, I want to make a "Hi-Nu" Grandpa, because I intend to do a Hi-Nu Grandpa, a RX-78-2 Nu, and when the Hi-Nu RG comes out, a Nu coloured Hi-Nu. And then I just want a Grandpa. And I don't know if I triple up on the Origin, or if I paint up a Revive and the Beyond Global. I like G40, but I kinda just... want it as its own thing.

Then again, I can't do it now, and again, there's like no chance the Revive is ever stopped being printed.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
My first came! i'm excited

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else in a Gunpla slump thanks to the pandemic? I used to find the most satisfaction working on a model in the evenings after having to spend the day at the office, but in month two of lockdown I realized I was much less stressed and needing to separate. I haven't really worked on anything since then.

The Spinatia/o actually looks really cool, though.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I rediscovered Gunpla because of quarantine. Built a Beyond Global kit last summer (first in 20 years) and somehow ended up with 13 in a display case today.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Huh, fair enough :shrug:. I'd have thought a line like 30MS would be pretty ideal for them to put that tech into serious mass-production.

It might be both. The eyes are definitely tampos, but the fleshy bits look like they may be using the layered plastic tech.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MJP posted:

Anyone else in a Gunpla slump thanks to the pandemic? I used to find the most satisfaction working on a model in the evenings after having to spend the day at the office, but in month two of lockdown I realized I was much less stressed and needing to separate. I haven't really worked on anything since then.

The Spinatia/o actually looks really cool, though.

Slumps happen, don't let it worry you too much. Losing interest in things you used to enjoy can be a signpost that you're depressed, or your interests might just be shifting. The Lego people call it a dark age, and I know some people have several in their lives, not just the big one between being a kid and being able to afford your own lego.

Phy fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 19, 2021

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

MJP posted:

Anyone else in a Gunpla slump thanks to the pandemic?

I can't justify paying pandemic shipping. I group-buy from HLJ with a friend to mitigate it, even. He finally pulled the trigger on getting our pile shipped but I guess it cost a ton and we're not going to do it again til things get back to normal. I say "I guess" cause the dude is terrible at collecting, I probably owe him a couple hundred bucks and every time I remind him he says "I'll figure it out tonight" then never does.
And on top of that my local is barely getting any kits in, I assume thanks to the pandemic, and what they do get in is all in the $200+ range. PG Extreme Grandpa (or whatever it's called), a whole heap of MG Nu Ver Ka Titaniums, etc. I'm not interested in the "luxury kits" at all.
I built a ton of poo poo in the first half year of the pandemic while my local still had decent stock in, but gently caress all since. My slump is not for lack of desire!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I go into gunpla hibernation every winter bc I'm kind of picky about painting the final product and I don't have adequate ventilation in my apartment without opening a window :(

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I'm not on a slump, I'm just unable to focus!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I swing wildly between bouts of productivity and bouts of staring at my painted parts going "ahh urghhh I don't want to scribe, I need new glue for these parts, I have to clear coat it all in one go" and putting things off.