Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Peachfart posted:

I don't know if I would go with 'best' but it is certainly several tiers above anything Wildbow has written.
It's not my fave but it feels like the highest overall quality of the ones that I've read

Except for typos; PracGuide is riddled with those

also like 80% of web serial authors don't know the difference between discreet and discrete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

VictualSquid posted:

This reminds me:
The Vainquier dude has a new story out: "Kairos: A Greek Myth LitRPG"
The title completely describes the gimmick. Writing is above average for a webnovel.

Everything that guy writes is self contained, well written, and interesting. I highly recommend.(except his very first story which he gave up on years ago, it was bad)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Wait he's doing The Perfect Run and then a new serial at the same time? Is that even legal?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

After Vainquier blew up he started writing full time, his Patreon votes on new stories for him to write.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Cicero posted:

Wait he's doing The Perfect Run and then a new serial at the same time? Is that even legal?

VoidHerald is, IMO, the best author on RR.

Sure, there's The Wandering Inn. There's Azarinth Healer. Authors that have a great story, and are successfully running strong with it.

VoidHerald consistently writes high-quality webnovels that he finishes. He's on-track to have multiple webnovels in the top 5 ranking list.
Of course, with Vigor Mortis's rise, he now needs to knock himself out of the top 5 to get there, but eh. He's got reach, and the ability to write a bunch of different things that aren't just "I hit this magic formula and I'm running with it"

The only other author I know that consistently finishes high-quality novels is Ravensdagger, but by pure numbers VoidHerald is better.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

OscarDiggs posted:

Im not argueing about quality. I've only read a few chapters and PGtE is leagues better then Worm by any metric.

And it's not a matter of how fun and interesting the characters are (which many appear to be).

I'm just, sick of the whole bad people doing bad things, thing. And if it's gonna be more then that then I doubt I'm gonna stick around for much longer.

PGtE is an antihero story. Cat's goals are semi-noble, but what she mostly accomplishes is piling up corpses. It's well written enough that I enjoy it even though it's not my favorite cup of tea.

Try Threadbare instead. It has adorable people doing nice things for good reasons.

Edit: Also try Cinnamon Bun. It has very cute people doing good and kind things. They also sometimes go on adventures.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 14, 2021

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Cicero posted:

Practical Guide to Evil is best overall web serial imo

I would definitely consider it the 'funnest' out of all that's out there; however, Into the Mire would be my pick for the most well written. Some of the imagery in there is gonna stick with me for a long time, though PGtE has been knocking it out of the park lately. The scene where Catherine's court is described by various villains like the crime out of Roshomon was vivid and especially Robber's death will probably stick with me until I croak. I too would like to pass hearing the wind.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Cicero posted:

Cinnamon Bun's author is doing four at the same time:

TBH I think their quality suffers from it somewhat.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cicero posted:

Practical Guide to Evil is best overall web serial imo

It has whatever it is that makes fiction "memorable" and easy to visualize. I can very easily remember many different moments throughout the story or summarize the events of the various arcs.

I'm usually very bad at mentally picturing things that I read, but I have extremely clear mental images of the various characters in PracGuide and can easily paint a mental picture of them during the scenes they're a part of. They all have very distinct "voices," and the nature of the setting lends itself to having a bunch of "larger than life" characters without it feeling tacky or unbelievable.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Selkie Myth posted:

There's Azarinth Healer. Authors that have a great story, and are successfully running strong with it.
...uh, these are meant to be two distinct things, right

or does AH introduce literally any story after the first, gently caress, what'd I read, hundred chapters

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

DACK FAYDEN posted:

or does AH introduce literally any story after the first, gently caress, what'd I read, hundred chapters

If there is one thing this thread has taught me it's that quality stories are very much subjective. I often dislike stories this thread loves, like TWI, and enjoy ones it hates, like Worm or Metaworld Chronicles.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
You can't just post that you have bad taste

I actually don't like TWI very much either; I honestly couldn't get past the first chapte for some reason. I think my favorite serial at the moment is probably Katalepsis. For a while it was actually Now You Feel Like Number None but that has more or less concluded at this point.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Oh, there's story arcs and an advancing overall plot.

Ilea randomly going on literal sidequests as a form of unwinding is entertaining.

It's still a 'stats/levels go up' LitRPG centered around someone who's one step above being a murderhobo.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Sampatrick posted:

Then probate me.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
over in the sf/f books thread someone posted that qntm's published his scp antimemetics stuff. https://qntm.org/scp has the links. it's good. i still have bad taste, but this isn't part of it.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Then probate me.

Preach. My taste in book quality varies drastically, and the floor is really really low

That said, I bounced off of Cinnamon Bun once before because idiots first Wonderland was not really interesting at all, but after skipping to where there are other actual characters holy poo poo does the quality spike. It was one of the most relaxing reads I've ever had.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Waiting way too long to introduce a second character is an oddly common problem in isekai stories. I don't hate the "wake up alone in the woods and figure out the world" intro but writing a story with no dialogue or just the MC talking to themself is hard.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Sampatrick posted:

I actually don't like TWI very much either; I honestly couldn't get past the first chapte for some reason. I think my favorite serial at the moment is probably Katalepsis. For a while it was actually Now You Feel Like Number None but that has more or less concluded at this point.

TWI's first chapter is definitely the roughest, except the chapter where the goblins all loving die. It is actually a shock to go back to the first chapter from the current stuff because not only is it way shorter, the writing has improved immensely.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Plorkyeran posted:

Waiting way too long to introduce a second character is an oddly common problem in isekai stories. I don't hate the "wake up alone in the woods and figure out the world" intro but writing a story with no dialogue or just the MC talking to themself is hard.

I often experience the reverse, where the literal second another character is introduced it all turns to poo poo Arifureta style.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Jade Mage posted:

That said, I bounced off of Cinnamon Bun once before because idiots first Wonderland was not really interesting at all, but after skipping to where there are other actual characters holy poo poo does the quality spike. It was one of the most relaxing reads I've ever had.
The later chapters become somewhat creepily fixated on discussing the sexual predilections and/or misadventures of the (very much underage) cast of characters. There's a dog person side character who sticks around for a few chapters and who keeps referring to one of the teenage girls as "the moist one" who "smells like she wants to mate." I refused to read any more of it after the newly introduced (and very much adult) owner of the airship "Beaver Cleaver" started relentlessly hitting on said group of ~16-ish year old girls, because the creep factor just seems to keep ramping up further and further.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Cardiovorax posted:

The later chapters become somewhat creepily fixated on discussing the sexual predilections and/or misadventures of the (very much underage) cast of characters. There's a dog person side character who sticks around for a few chapters and who keeps referring to one of the teenage girls as "the moist one" who "smells like she wants to mate." I refused to read any more of it after the newly introduced (and very much adult) owner of the airship "Beaver Cleaver" started relentlessly hitting on said group of ~16-ish year old girls, because the creep factor just seems to keep ramping up further and further.

Ouch, that's absolutely not where I was expecting the story to go after the description.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Cardiovorax posted:

I wouldn't say it's fixated, really.

The dog person (a Droll) bit is bad, even though it's played up for laughs, but it's also over three months and 60+ chapters between that and what I'm assuming you're talking about regarding the Beaver Cleaver's owner. There's a lot of references to Awen being a lesbian and interested in Broccoli in between (and a little bit before, that's what the Droll is talking about), but aside from the Droll bit it's basically hero worship since Broccoli was the one that helped Awen escape. Broccoli doesn't return the feelings because she's straight and is appropriately awkward about what to do about it, considering how naive she is. (They eventually talk about it, with no bad feelings.)

I'm guessing you mean Rosaline as the Beaver Cleaver's owner, because it was owned by a company until given over to Broccoli. Rosaline is Amaryllis's sister, and I don't think we know her age. She's often referred to as a girl or young woman, though she is very openly flirty and "scandalous." She also becomes Awen's girlfriend. Nothing about Rosaline bothered me, though I will say the fact that the Wand of Cure Hysteria (it's a vibrator, and neither Broccoli nor Awen know that or what that means) hasn't been conveniently forgotten about does. It thankfully doesn't come up that much.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, I suppose that would be the most charitable way to describe it, but personally, I thought it kept coming up far, far too regularly to be remotely comfortable by the time I decided I really didn't want to have anything to with that story anymore. The entire thing came across as nothing short of creepy, fetishistic, and frankly disturbingly underaged to me. A grown-rear end man in his late twenties shouldn't be writing horny fiction about teenage lesbians and their magical dildos for other grown adults. There's really no excuse for ever having a character who constantly keeps bringing up one of said teen girls' state of physical arousal and how it smells to him.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 18, 2021

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Horny definitely doesn't apply, at least to the whole story. The Droll and vibrator bits are bad, no disagreement, but they're the only things that are remotely "horny." Everything else (even the vibrator bit as things never pass euphemism, but it's still bad) falls into YA romance territory.

Edit: I should clarify my intent. I'm not saying you shouldn't be bothered by what's there. If it bothers you, you've got your reasons and you don't have to defend them to me. To me, though, you're taking things out of proportion and I just wanted to provide a little context so others could see for themselves. Maybe I'm not sensitive enough and am being more forgiving than I should be.

Onean fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 18, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It would only be Young Adult fiction if it was actually written for young adults, which I frankly do not agree or believe it was. Speaking from my own first-hand experience, there's really nothing remotely realistic about the story's portrayal of teenaged LGBT relationships in any part of how is written - and even if it were, there is no such thing as an acceptable amount of talking about a young girls state of "moistness" in a Young Adult novel in any case.

It has been a long time since I was a teenager myself. I don't want to read about this kind of thing in my light entertainment and I think the author really shouldn't be wanting to write about it, either. Honestly, I think this story is exactly the kind of thing that gives self-published writers a bad reputation and I don't plan to ever touch anything else the guy writes.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 18, 2021

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Cardiovorax posted:

what the gently caress

Onean posted:

The dog person (a Droll) bit is bad, even though it's played up for laughs, but it's also over three months and 60+ chapters between that and what I'm assuming you're talking about regarding the Beaver Cleaver's owner. There's a lot of references to Awen being a lesbian and interested in Broccoli in between (and a little bit before, that's what the Droll is talking about), but aside from the Droll bit it's basically hero worship since Broccoli was the one that helped Awen escape. Broccoli doesn't return the feelings because she's straight and is appropriately awkward about what to do about it, considering how naive she is. (They eventually talk about it, with no bad feelings.)

I'm guessing you mean Rosaline as the Beaver Cleaver's owner, because it was owned by a company until given over to Broccoli. Rosaline is Amaryllis's sister, and I don't think we know her age. She's often referred to as a girl or young woman, though she is very openly flirty and "scandalous." She also becomes Awen's girlfriend. Nothing about Rosaline bothered me, though I will say the fact that the Wand of Cure Hysteria (it's a vibrator, and neither Broccoli nor Awen know that or what that means) hasn't been conveniently forgotten about does. It thankfully doesn't come up that much.

what the gently caress

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Onean posted:

what the gently caress

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I clearly skimmed a bit too much in the dog person bit.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I clearly skimmed a bit too much in the dog person bit.

Or you may have skimmed exactly the right amount.

What the gently caress.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

That whole back and forth was both a lol and a :yikes:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Well, I guess I'm not sensitive enough, and am more forgiving than I should be.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
It's ok, when I was a kid I read a bunch of Xanth novels and all that poo poo went right over my head.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

Or you may have skimmed exactly the right amount.
It's this. I really just wish I had stopped reading it sooner.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

:yikes:

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Oh hey a bunch of new replies in the web serial thread, maybe beware of chicken upda...:yikes:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yyyyyeah, kinda sorry for even bringing it up, I just didn't want anyone to have a very unpleasant surprise. I was really surprised to see people recommend that serial here, because that's exactly the kind of poo poo that normally makes goons go "what the gently caress is even wrong with this guy" in a hurry. Hope that's okay with everyone.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Onean posted:

I want you to know that I read this at 5am this morning after far too little sleep and thought I was having a fever dream

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Yyyyyeah, kinda sorry for even bringing it up, I just didn't want anyone to have a very unpleasant surprise. I was really surprised to see people recommend that serial here, because that's exactly the kind of poo poo that normally makes goons go "what the gently caress is even wrong with this guy" in a hurry. Hope that's okay with everyone.

Your post was very necessary and im glad I now won't incidentally stumble on that poo poo. What the fuuuuuuuck.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
I read several chapters and it felt so innocent. I thought the point of this series was to be cute and not sexualized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
The wand of cure hysteria was just a cute joke that went over her head, that was good. And then it came back up and each time got a little worse.

Stray Cat Strut's the story where characters gently caress, and now I'm afraid to check their ages because I was thinking the protagonist and her girlfriend were definitely eighteen and now I'm thinking seventeen tops which isn't old enough to have some worm fanfic guy writing jokes about your sixteen-dicked tentacle sex robot.

I think I'm just going to move on from ravensdagger.