Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

weekly font posted:

:shrug: It's a shitpost but actually agreed on Rogue One and Solo even though I kinda forgot those movies existed.

And that's the point, there WAS no Snyder cut - it was also an unfinished chopped up mess until WB threw money at him to do what he wanted. You'd have to do that with Rise as well and I think that'd be neat to see. It's not like Star Wars is a franchise opposed to fixing poo poo in post 40 years down the line.

Buuuuuut I don't think there's enough money in the world to get half that cast back for reshoots.

He has a workprint like the Wolverine one with unfinished effects and different score. They tossed money at him to finish and he shot one new scene and cleaned it all up.

Rogue One was in that state as well. Solo had an unknown amount of shooting done and Disney didn't like what they saw so they made it more generic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If there was a work print unfinished version...that’s a cut of the film. Period

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

CelticPredator posted:

If there was a work print unfinished version...that’s a cut of the film. Period

This is arguing semantics at this point, but why not just literally releasethesnydercut then if it was a fully functional movie suitable for public viewing?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

weekly font posted:

This is arguing semantics at this point, but why not just literally releasethesnydercut then if it was a fully functional movie suitable for public viewing?

They shot an entire movie before joss came and shot a second movie. They just needed to finish the effects. There was a complete film. Zack had four hours of a full plot.

There is no alternate cut of TROS. There is potentially one for rogue one, but probably not as final as Snyder cut. There is probably not enough Lord and Miller footage for a Solo cut

weekly font posted:

Which is what makes it true...WAS is the operative word, like when the hashtag was picking up steam there was no Snyder cut.

If you didn't spend money to update and fix it you would be left with 75% of a movie and some workprint footage. It'd look like that leaked XMen Wolverine. I am very happy WB gave him the money to complete his film.

This isn’t accurate. Joss threw out 3.5 hours of finished footage to make his cut, reused the 30 minutes and then shot 90 minutes more. Zack continued to work from the original 4 hours and did not touch anything Joss did.

The two movies are two forks from a common (complete) ancestor. Most movies are not done this way.

AdmiralViscen fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 18, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ll let Zack himself explain.

zack Snyder posted:

Initially, says Snyder, Warner Bros. just wanted to release the raw footage on his laptop. “I was like, ‘That’s a no, that’s a hard no,’” he says. “And they’re like, ‘But why? You can just put up the rough cut.’” Snyder didn’t trust their motivations. “I go, ‘Here’s why. Three reasons: One, you get the internet off your back, which is probably your main reason for wanting to do this. Two, you get to feel vindicated for making things right, I guess, on some level. And then three, you get a lovely version of the movie that you can point at and go, ‘See? It’s not that good anyway. So maybe I was right.’ I was like, No chance. I would rather just have the Snyder cut be a mythical unicorn for all time.”

Snyder estimates that it cost around $70 million to undo Whedon’s redo. For that, HBO Max gets four hours of hotly anticipated programming—and the Hollywood comeback story of a lifetime. Snyder himself gets nothing. “I’m not getting paid,” he says. He was paid the first time, of course. This time, he wants creative control, and forgoing a fee helped. “I didn’t want to be beholden to anyone, and it allowed me to keep my negotiating powers with these people pretty s

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They shot 80% of Solo iirc, so there definitely is enough for it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I don't know if I'm wording this poorly or what, but all I was saying is that if Snydercut is successful I am not opposed to the fixing/re-editing/whateversemanticwordyouwanttonitpickonline other movies and the Disney Star Wars are great candidates.

It's infinitely better than smashing a new CGI gleepglop in front of the cam and calling it a special edition.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

weekly font posted:

Also you keep saying functional. A cut of a film doesn’t have to be ready to go. It’s just a cut of the film. First cut, final cut, ect.

In 2003 they released the Alien 3 assembly cut using rough footage with bad sound. It was a better film but it was unfinished. They went back and touched it up for the anthology release. Do you think the 2003 one doesn’t count as a cut or isn’t real?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't think JJ would be available but you do have to wonder if that sort of project wouldn't appeal to CT, the one you would really want anyway. Seems like a new social media movement in the making to me

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If not JJ, who would you get to direct CT's screenplay? Well, let me tell you about a certain director who hasn't been getting much work lately, but has a bit of cachet with star wars fans. He wears a lot of flannel and he lives in marin county, CA

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

They shot 80% of Solo iirc, so there definitely is enough for it.

Getting all the actors back in to redo 20% of a movie is a lot different than a bonus 4 minutes of content with a new character that wasn’t even supposed to be in the movie. If the Snyder cut was only 80% finished (as far as filmed footage, not post production) then I don’t think it would ever have come out.

TROS might as well be shooting the whole movie all over again, for all we know. There’s no reason to think there’s a complete alternate plot that’s shot and ready and just needs VFX.

I think Rogue One got cut up pretty late so there might be an actual alternate movie out there somewhere.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

CelticPredator posted:

Also you keep saying functional. A cut of a film doesn’t have to be ready to go. It’s just a cut of the film. First cut, final cut, ect.

In 2003 they released the Alien 3 assembly cut using rough footage with bad sound. It was a better film but it was unfinished. They went back and touched it up for the anthology release. Do you think the 2003 one doesn’t count as a cut or isn’t real?

Yeah I think there's a difference between something released as an add-on to a collector's box set and something released on HBO Max with a ton of publicity.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HBO Max put in the money for it and it seems to be paying off. People are talking about it and stuff.

It’s just the weird “it didn’t exist” thing I find frustrating. Because it did exist. The effects and music weren’t done, but it was a “cut” of the film.

And with Solo I think they could probably use some of Howard’s footage. Idk. Depends on how different they made theirs. Either way I’d like to see it.

Heck i would love if Johnson popped back into the editing bay to give TLJ another go through. I adore it but it’s got some iffy pacing in the middle.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Let Lord & Miller finish their vision of the Solo movie ... using Lego

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

CelticPredator posted:

Heck i would love if Johnson popped back into the editing bay to give TLJ another go through. I adore it but it’s got some iffy pacing in the middle.

I don't know how true it is cause I don't care enough to pay attention to studio drama but apparently TLJ was Johnson's first draft he was forced to film due to the time constraints? It's certainly a movie that feels that way.

Rise of Skywalker feels like a movie that had parts that weren't out of the treatment phase.

Davros1 posted:

not like there isn't precedent for Lego Star Wars do it Disney

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
TROS is a blend of first drafts, old, discarded finished scripts, studio notes on first drafts and last minute mandates requiring a new shot on the day. it's an impressively incoherent film.

Davros1 posted:

Come to think it, it's kind of weird that there hasn't been a high profile lego star wars film.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There was a Snyder Cut. Snyder himself admitted it, and he had shown it to many people. That's not for debate. Before HBO had announced ZSJL and the reshoots and effects work, people just wanted to see what Snyder had, regardless of the state. "There was no Snyder Cut" is patently false no matter the revisionist spin you try to put on it.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I'm luke snydercut i'm here to rescue you

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I remember them saying that Solo had maybe 11 days left before they wrapped filming. I don't know if 11 days is just a couple scenes or 40% of the movie. Lord and Miller moved on after getting fired and are probably better off never working for Disney again.

Rogue One getting an "Edwards Cut" of sorts is probably more easily done. Seems that most of the changes were done due to test audience reaction. Sucks that Disney killed his enthusiasm for blockbuster films. Godzilla KoTM would have been a lot better with him.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Detective No. 27 posted:

I remember them saying that Solo had maybe 11 days left before they wrapped filming. I don't know if 11 days is just a couple scenes or 40% of the movie. Lord and Miller moved on after getting fired and are probably better off never working for Disney again.

Rogue One getting an "Edwards Cut" of sorts is probably more easily done. Seems that most of the changes were done due to test audience reaction. Sucks that Disney killed his enthusiasm for blockbuster films. Godzilla KoTM would have been a lot better with him.

Now I am angry cause G'14 hit every single button that I want in a Godzilla movie. I know some people didn't like it and that's fair - it worked for me. And KoTM didn't - knowing Edwards could have continued his work makes me upset.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ingmar terdman posted:

I'm luke snydercut i'm here to rescue you

Aren't you a little short to be a cut?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Disney killing Edwards' love for big films is very sad.

The word "swashbuckling" was used on the previous page, and at this point, this franchise is such a mess they should just give it to the mad lad Gore Verbinski for a pirates-in-space story and go from there. Have some fun with it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Now I am angry cause G'14 hit every single button that I want in a Godzilla movie. I know some people didn't like it and that's fair - it worked for me. And KoTM didn't - knowing Edwards could have continued his work makes me upset.

Same. There's some great bits scattered through KoTM, but it basically actually has all the problems that people thought G14 had.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

well why not posted:

The word "swashbuckling" was used on the previous page, and at this point, this franchise is such a mess they should just give it to the mad lad Gore Verbinski for a pirates-in-space story and go from there. Have some fun with it.

Dune Drifter is an ultra-cheap, people-roaming-Iceland-in-paintball-gear sort of movie that just came out, and it's easily the best Star Wars sequel.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Snyder Cut has a lot of confusing arguments and assumptions because it became an especially stupid culture war flashpoint based on spiting imaginary bros above all else.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I don't think a filmmaker leaving mongo-budget films behind to do smaller work is bad, at all. The next film he makes will probably be good instead of 50% good

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Snyder Cut has a lot of confusing arguments and assumptions because it became an especially stupid culture war flashpoint based on spiting imaginary bros above all else.

:thunk:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
tired of all these snyder wars

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Detective No. 27 posted:

There was a Snyder Cut. Snyder himself admitted it, and he had shown it to many people. That's not for debate. Before HBO had announced ZSJL and the reshoots and effects work, people just wanted to see what Snyder had, regardless of the state. "There was no Snyder Cut" is patently false no matter the revisionist spin you try to put on it.

I'm reasonably certain Zack knew that it would seem rougher and shittier to the average viewer than they were expecting and therefore did not want to release it, so I would totally understand him or anyone else involved denying it existed. Releasing a 3.5-hour workprint is a bonkers idea that would damage the reputation of practically everyone involved.

Now the Lord and Miller cut we all know would be really awful, but I would see it in any state.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Everyone knew it was a fuckin workprint dude, people were expecting something that had unfinished effects and the occasional storyboard sequence, nobody thought WB would fork out cash to finish it. The idea that the Snyder Cut fans were a bunch of rubes who don’t know how filmmaking works and expected a complete film is something made up by weirdos on YouTube trying to get their dunks in to attract patreon dollars.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
You're somehow implying that the Snyder Cut superfans would be the only ones seeing it. Everyone would watch it, including the people who don't know anything, and those people tend to buy things from WB / Zack Snyder.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Glottis posted:

I'm reasonably certain Zack knew that it would seem rougher and shittier to the average viewer than they were expecting and therefore did not want to release it, so I would totally understand him or anyone else involved denying it existed. Releasing a 3.5-hour workprint is a bonkers idea that would damage the reputation of practically everyone involved.

Plus it may not have been legal. Movies use temp music from a bunch of different sources, so anything that WB didn't actually own would either need to have the rights cleared or removed/replaced. For example, the leaked Wolverine workprint was full of Transformers music, which Fox certainly wouldn't have had the rights to.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

These characters seem familiar somehow.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

I started laughing when I got to SHOWTIME FLANIGAN

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

https://twitter.com/troubledcosmos/status/1371911015068098562/photo/1

I thought he was a myth!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
For some reason I think Lewis Dumptruck would be better?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

sean10mm posted:

For some reason I think Lewis Dumptruck would be better?
That's Bigger Lewis

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

He goes by Biggie Lou and runs a grunge band out of Nar Shaddaa

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XHsNkgsPzM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU