Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Hollismason posted:

What's the efficacy of Moderna after 2nd dose 1 week? I really wanna eat out at a resteraunt.

Just wait another week or two. You're literally one step from the finish line, don't stop now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rolo posted:

Anyone on the vax develop mild tinnitus?

Hoping it’s vaccine related and not my life of being an idiot catching up to me.

Yep, several people in CSPAM got ringing in their ears

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

The confidence interval for >65 was -1405% to 94%. Not a typo.

Yeah looking at the data they recruited people 18-55 for the majority of their studies and only threw in a handful of people older at the end. Like out of 24k participants only something like 660 were 65+ and since there were only two cases of COVID in that cohort the result was "who the gently caress knows". Zero of those 65+ participants were in the group where they discovered the altered dosing schedule was more effective.

What the gently caress Oxford lol. Like there seems to be enough real world data now showing it works in 65+ people but how do you bungle that poo poo so badly in a vaccine for a disease that is especially lethal to old people.

For comparison 42% of Pfizer's participants were over 55.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 19, 2021

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Has there been any word on J and J supply line are they still on target for delivering 20 million doses in March?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Phew ok. It feels more mild than yesterday when my symptoms peaked but I’m also majorly afraid of tinnitus after working around airplanes most of my life.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Hollismason posted:

What's the efficacy of Moderna after 2nd dose 1 week? I really wanna eat out at a resteraunt.

Going out for a 7 course meal of soup and jello?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
21 hours in and I can hardly even feel the microchip

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Rolo posted:

Hoping it’s vaccine related and not my life of being an idiot catching up to me.

Yep. About 5 minutes after receiving Pfizer, I had tinnitus for a very brief amount of time (like a minute or two). It's apparently a known side effect: https://www.drugdiscoverytrends.com/tinnitus-reports-grow-amid-covid-19-vaccinations/

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So now that everyone in my house including me is fully vaccinated, is it safe for me to do my food delivery gig job again?

y’know until I get a real job

or while working a real job

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Got dose 1 of pfizer today, zero effects and I didn't even feel the needle, did I get pranked

Free band-aid though!

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Well, I’ve already got tinnitus (15 years) and various things basically hurt all the time (5+ years), I may not even notice vaccine effects whenever I eventually get it. Yay I guess. Would be nice not to be worried all the time though.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

redgubbinz posted:

Got dose 1 of pfizer today, zero effects and I didn't even feel the needle, did I get pranked

Free band-aid though!

Same thing happened to me, I barely felt anything on the injection site the next day and had pretty much no effects. I thought maybe I had some brain fog or fatigue but I'm pretty much always in some level of fatigue so hard to say if it was related to the shot or not. Hopefully the next one is just as easy.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

redgubbinz posted:

Free band-aid though!

My worst symptoms hit about 18 hours in.

I did have the same experience where the shot itself barely hurt at all. One of the easiest ones I’ve ever had and I don’t like shots.

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
There should be a reality TV Show called COVID Island, and its a pure island, no COVID and 12 people land there and have to find the one of them who has it, and they cant leave until they do,

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Shot number 2 had the same weird thing ~48 hours in where my aches/hot-cold switches got not as bad but all the sudden I got really nauseous. Fun.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

explosivo posted:

I'm pretty much always in some level of fatigue

same

I’m finally seeing a doctor about it next week

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

redgubbinz posted:

Free band-aid though!

No lollipop?

You definitely got pranked.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I. M. Gei posted:

So now that everyone in my house including me is fully vaccinated, is it safe for me to do my food delivery gig job again?

y’know until I get a real job

or while working a real job

'Safe' is a relative concept here. Even if you've waited the recommended amount of time after the final shot (2 weeks after the 2nd shot, etc) when the vaccine should be at full efficacy it's not 100% protection, there's still a small chance you could catch it. If you did it would almost certainly be a very mild case and it's very very unlikely that you'd end up in hospital and so far it seems unlikely that you'd get any longterm effects, and it's also unlikely that you'd pass it along to anyone else in your house but not 100% certain. There's already been several reported cases of people catching the virus after their 2nd jab, the odds are super super low but it's still a possibility.
If you did catch it there'd be a chance that you might pass it on to someone outside your household so you should keep wearing masks.

If those odds are acceptable to you then you could consider it 'safe'

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
We also have essentially zero real world data on how the mRNA vaccines perform against the escape mutants most prevalent in SA and Brazil but which are definitely present in the US. Almost certainly better than the vaccinee serum experiments suggest, but how they compare to JnJ under those circumstances (~59% reduction of severe illness and likely much more reduction of critical illness/hospitalization/death, but small studies) is still a mystery.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
The gift that keeps on giving...

quote:

A cohort of scientists from across the world believe that there is a growing body of evidence that Covid-19 can cause diabetes in some patients.

Prof Francesco Rubino, from King’s College London, is leading the call for a full investigation into a possible link between the two diseases. Having seen a rise in both type 1 and type 2 diabetes in people who have caught coronavirus, some doctors are even considering the possibility that the virus ‒ by disrupting sugar metabolism ‒ could be inducing an entirely new form of diabetes.

Rubino first realised the possibility of a link during a tea party with colleagues over Zoom where anecdotal cases were being exchanged.

Rubino and others set up a registry to start pooling and analysing these reports. The principal investigators of the registry which has received reports from more than 350 individual clinicians who suspect they have encountered one or more cases of Covid-induced diabetes — have said the numbers were hard to ignore.

“Over the last few months, we’ve seen more cases of patients that had either developed diabetes during the Covid-19 experience, or shortly after that. We are now starting to think the link is probably true – there is an ability of the virus to cause a malfunctioning of sugar metabolism,” said Rubino.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/19/doctors-suggest-link-between-covid-19-and-diabetes

quote:

Twelve months of Covid-19 has reversed 12 years of global progress against tuberculosis, worse than previously estimated.

The pandemic has resulted in nearly a 25% decrease in diagnosis and treatment around the world, according to research published on Thursday by a coalition working to end TB.

Due to the impact of the Covid pandemic on services, the number of people diagnosed and treated for TB in the worst-affected countries has dropped back to 2008 levels, said Stop TB Partnership’s executive director, Lucica Ditiu. A modelling study published last year estimated a setback of five to eight years.

“Twelve years of impressive gains in the fight against TB – including in reducing the number of people who were missing from TB care – have been tragically reversed by another virulent respiratory infection,” said Ditiu.

“I hope that in 2021, we buckle up and smartly address, at the same time, TB and Covid-19 as two airborne diseases with similar symptoms.”

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/mar/19/fight-against-tuberculosis-set-back-12-years-by-covid-pandemic-report-finds

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah but I don't think this has anything to do with the vaccine

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SchnorkIes posted:

We also have essentially zero real world data on how the mRNA vaccines perform against the escape mutants most prevalent in SA and Brazil but which are definitely present in the US. Almost certainly better than the vaccinee serum experiments suggest, but how they compare to JnJ under those circumstances (~59% reduction of severe illness and likely much more reduction of critical illness/hospitalization/death, but small studies) is still a mystery.

The vaccine sera experiments vary widely, too.

Feingl‐ding and others are panicking over this paper that shows reduction of twenty to forty fold, but this paper shows less than eight fold.

The first chart has slick graphic design, but the second study is really interesting. It looks at which particular antibodies are generated, which areas of the spike they bind to, and how the mutations prevent binding.

Note that AstraZeneca in this chart is their monoclonal antibody cocktail, not vaccine serum.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

Platystemon posted:

The vaccine sera experiments vary widely, too.

There seem to be a lot of immunologists who think the non-antibody immune responses (T cells, B cells, etc) are pretty important as well.

I don't think they are considered in this kind of study because they're much more difficult to deal with than antibodies.

The second one at least mentions them:

quote:

How previously infected or vaccinated individuals respond to these new variant vaccines will be the subject of intense study over the coming months, as there is a general reckoning that the current problem is not over. However, even if antibody responses to the new variants are not able to prevent infection, they may moderate severity. In addition, T cell responses to spike may not be disrupted by the mutational changes and be able to limit spread to the lower respiratory tract and prevent severe disease.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

7of7 posted:

There seem to be a lot of immunologists who think the non-antibody immune responses (T cells, B cells, etc) are pretty important as well.

I don't think they are considered in this kind of study because they're much more difficult to deal with than antibodies.

T and B cells are a big part of why SARS and MERS patients still have immunity.

E: I think but I’m not sure that it has also translated to resistance to SARS2: The SARSening but I can’t find that article right now.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

7of7 posted:

Yeah they seem to be crucial which is why I'm getting tired of seeing breathless tweets about serum studies lol, not the hunt serum studies aren't interesting and important

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

Hey buster, the rule says covid can't travel farther than three feet. It's a virus so it doesn't know how to break the rules. Those kids are totally safe.:pseudo:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SchnorkIes posted:

Yeah they seem to be crucial which is why I'm getting tired of seeing breathless tweets about serum studies lol, not the hunt serum studies aren't interesting and important

I really, really want to see Janssen sera studied. The original trials had the intriguing result that

quote:

neutralizing activity against this variant of the B.1.1.7 lineage was approximately 9-fold lower at 28 days and 3.3-fold lower at 70 days compared to the neutralization of the reference SARS-CoV-2 Victoria 1/2020 strain. Between 28 and 70 days after vaccination the neutralizing activity against the reference strain also increases. Thus, not only do Ad26.COV2.S elicited antibody titers increase over time, these data also imply maturation of the immune response with improved variant coverage

That’s from their briefing to the FDA’s VRBPA committee, page thirty‐nine.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

21 hours in and I can hardly even feel the microchip

It takes a while to download the update unless you're in an area with 5G

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

The ringing in the ears is the 5G frequency tuning process.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

redgubbinz posted:

Free band-aid though!

I got my first dose of Pfizer on Tuesday. I did not feel the needle, and didn't have not really had any noticeable side effects a few days later.

My arm was sore the second day, but that's pretty cleared up as of today.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

The confidence interval for >65 was -1405% to 94%. Not a typo.

I've only had one course in research statistics but I'm pretty sure if your confidence interval includes "0" that means the result isn't statistically significant at whatever confidence level you chose.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Rolo posted:

In case you weren’t given this info when you got your shot (I wasn’t) there is a side effect tracker at

http://vsafe.cdc.gov

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
U.K. has a site that they are asking people to report side effects to - don’t think it matters you are in another country because they are only really interested in the batch numbers and what happened.

https://coronavirus-yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Fallom posted:

I've only had one course in research statistics but I'm pretty sure if your confidence interval includes "0" that means the result isn't statistically significant at whatever confidence level you chose.

It’s not great, but in practice it’s probably an artifact from clamping the maximum efficacy to 100% while allowing for an unbounded negative efficacy (ie in theory a vaccine could increase infection/hospitalization rates by many orders of magnitude). A confidence interval is just a standard way to express the variance of the probability curve, 95% tends to be standard for research, but you could just as easily use some other metric or interval. I would be more interested in something like P(<25%) vs P(25-75%) before discarding the results offhand.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.
Something I've been curious about and can't find any conclusive science on is how the efficacy of a vaccine as measured in a population translates to efficacy on an individual level. When people discuss how effective the vaccines are, it seems like the assumption is that a vaccine that is 90% effective means that any single person who is vaccinated has a 10% chance of still catching the disease. Is that actually an accurate assessment of how immunity works, or is it the case that 90% of the people who get the vaccine are fully immune, and 10% of people who get the vaccine end up with no protection?

The numbers play out the same on the population level of course, but I still find the question interesting. Anyone have any insight?

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
95% of cats infected with Feline Coronavirus just get a kitty cold, the remaining 5% develop a pneumonia-like condition that is fatal in 90% of the cases it occurs in. I knew someone who adopted a kitten who died a couple months after of just that.

Improbable things happen, sometimes you just win the anti-lottery.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
finally got my appointment for the first dose next week, can't wait to see twitch chat emotes IRL with the microchip upgrade

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:smith: spouse is on a plane and totally unvaccinated and says it's assholes to elbows in there

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Got moderna yesterday, girlfriend got pfizer.

Both of us have been kinda loopy today and I feel like I'm having serious hay fever, and my injection site is sore as gently caress.

Sounds a lot like a mild case my coworker had a few weeks ago. Kinda lovely but COVID took my maternal grandparents from independent living to a nursing home in November, so gently caress that poo poo.

Edit: oh yeah, they tried to deny me my shot because the health insurance company I've been with since 2019 transposed my birthdate as x/xx/2019 vs. x/xx/1986, and I had to lie about not having health insurance as a result. I bitched everyone out, got my shot, and my insurance company apologized to me when they fixed it 4 hours later. It's nice to know I was throwing money in a loving hole, you know.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Jokes on them. I already got the beetus.

Saw this in a gun store a few weeks ago. emailed and they sent me a picture of it.
I thought it was amusing.