Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flatluigi posted:

also believe me when i say this is an entirely serious response: the invisible man vs invisible stan match is genuinely fascinating to watch and shows exactly how much a good crowd and a good ref can add to a match

and the finish still owns

One of the lamest things I have ever stood through and we couldn't imagine it was still going on after a friend took a smoke break so we didn't have to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
maybe it just comes across better on youtube? i rewatched it with some friends who had never seen it before recently and everyone really enjoyed it

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Kosmo Gallion posted:

What is the perfect wrestling match?

It doesn't necessarily be the best match ever, but what are some matches that are perfectly booked, taking into account the wrestlers ability, the time, the location, the booking etc?

I'm watching Cena vs Umaga Last Man Standing and my god does it own.

Okada vs Suzuki outside in a downpour. Not Okada's best match but perhaps his greatest performance

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Kosmo Gallion posted:

It doesn't necessarily be the best match ever, but what are some matches that are perfectly booked, taking into account the wrestlers ability, the time, the location, the booking etc?

Brock vs. Goldberg at Mania 33 is one of the best 5-minute matches ever

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Benne posted:

Brock vs. Goldberg at Mania 33 is one of the best 5-minute matches ever

i feel the same way about the survivor series match

EDIT: as "one of the best squash matches ever", swapping the 5-minute bit, obviously

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Tanahashi vs Okada from Wrestle Kingdom 9. It wasn't the end of their story, but this particular match played perfectly on their previous encounters, Tana's increasing desperation to remain the Ace of the company, and Okada breaking down in the entryway after the match because he still couldn't beat Tanahashi on the biggest stage just yet. Plus it made the catharsis when Okada finally beat him the next year even better, 4 years to the day after Okada first challenged Tanahashi at Wrestle Kindom 6

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

mike bailey vs drew galloway bola

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

flatluigi posted:

maybe it just comes across better on youtube? i rewatched it with some friends who had never seen it before recently and everyone really enjoyed it
Live, I had a blast, but I did think that Bryce should have toned down how often he was pantomiming the exact move after he established what the invisible men were doing.

Also, the first thing that came to mind for this topic was, for me, Adam Page, John Silver, and Alex Reynolds vs. MJF, Santana, and Ortiz from Dynamite is Brody.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Daniel Bryan Vs Cena at Summerslam 2013 is perfect bell to bell. The call backs to their velocity max, the slapping, the debut of Bryan’s Busaiku knee. Just a flawless face vs face match and the best WWE style match ever to me.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Eat My Fuc posted:

Daniel Bryan Vs Cena at Summerslam 2013 is perfect bell to bell. The call backs to their velocity max, the slapping, the debut of Bryan’s Busaiku knee. Just a flawless face vs face match and the best WWE style match ever to me.
My favorite thing about that match is that it's basically worked like Bryan vs. KENTA from the Manhattan Center...with Cena as KENTA.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

davidbix posted:

My favorite thing about that match is that it's basically worked like Bryan vs. KENTA from the Manhattan Center...with Cena as KENTA.

I forgot how long KENTA has been good. He’s somewhat underrated for all he’s given,

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

There was a hilarious picture of two people in a ring, one was upside down flying through the air and the other had their head turned looking at them, but I can't remember who they were or what it was from. Ring any bells?

*edit*

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Suzuki vs Styles.

Arbite fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 22, 2021

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Well, it is the best match ever, but Okada/Omega 4 was also the perfect capstone to the most dominant title reign in decades.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Arbite posted:

There was a hilarious picture of two people in a ring, one was upside down flying through the air and the other had their head turned looking at them, but I can't remember who they were or what it was from. Ring any bells?

*edit*

Suzuki vs Styles.

?

edit: just reread your post and it doesnt match the description. oh well, pic is still funny.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
is it brock's ssp botch?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Goldberg squashing Lesnar a few years ago was possibly the biggest feel-good match I've ever seen. Goldberg comes back, cuts that promo about seeing excited kids around the world, and feeling like a superhero again. He talks about his son seeing him stand in a ring for the first time. He responds to Brock's challenge, saying how, maybe, he has one more rear end-kicking, one more spear, one more "DEVASTATING JACKHAMMER" in him. Brock, not only are you next, "you're LAST!"

One more match. Grey-faced wrestledad Goldberg returns after 12 years for one more match against the guy who's been effortlessly squashing everybody for years.

And Goldberg just Goldberg'd Brock, easily. Shoves him down, spears him twice, Jackhammer, pin in 90 seconds. Performing for his kid for the first time, he became that superhero, demolishing Brock Lesnar like it was a Nitro squash.

And then he never wrestled again, and especially didn't almost kill himself suplexhammering a guy with a dumb mask.

Shine fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 23, 2021

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

hey at least he dropped a nazi on his head and made a mockery of the saudi propaganda show

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Bryan vs Batista vs Orton at Wrestlemania 30 is the perfect match to me. Tons of drama for various reasons, and there's always a thought in the back of your mind that Vince is gonna pull a fast one on the crowd, making every near fall that much more nerve-wracking. Everyone plays their part.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Joe Vs Kobashi always feels like something that shouldn't be possible but through some act of god it happened

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Michaels/Undertaker Hell in a Cell.

MassRafTer posted:

Jumbo vs Misawa.

Also this.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Also worth a mention is Jushin Liger's first retirement match at last year's Wrestle Kingdom. It was perfect for what it was, a whole bunch of Liger's friends and enemies throughout his career (with a combined age of 407, Taguchi really dragged the average age down) turning back the clock one last time and putting in performances nobody was expecting. Plus hearing Liger's music for one of the last times really got to me, he had that music before I was even born :cry:

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

It feels wrong to include anything Chikara did in a "perfect match" discussion, but the 6-man tag between Team AAA (Drago, Fenix, and Aerostar) and the Gentleman's Club (Drew Gulak, Chuckie T, and allegedly Pete Dunne as the Swamp Monster) is the platonic ideal of a proper wrestling promotion interacting with Chikara's goofiness. It's also a really good match in its own right and one that I show to people new to watching wrestling.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why don't people just step on Bianca's braid?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Why don't people just step on Bianca's braid?

hair pulling etc is illegal

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

But 'stomping' hair is not the same as 'pulling' hair, so by Loophole Logic it should be fine.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

hair pulling etc is illegal

Technically she's the one that's pulling her own hair.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They used to step on Irwin's tie all the time.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Have her hair ever been used to choke someone?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

disaster pastor posted:

Michaels/Undertaker Hell in a Cell.

I watch this every third month or so and it always holds up.

The match rules, of course, but it's also some of the best set pieces Kevin Dunn (??? !!!) ever got filmed. Early stretches inside the cell with the camera behind Undertaker's broad shoulders while he stalks HBK like a serial killer. Camera dudes in super-close range during the beat down. Camera dudes taking bumps. The long, slow shot of Kane strolling to the ring. Perfect visual storytelling.

e: another "perfect match" nominee: Becky/Charlotte, last woman standing, Evolution. Charlotte as relentless terminator who finally, just barely, can't get up one more time. Every booking issue you'd ever have with her, acted out in the match itself, but with a happy payoff for once.

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 22, 2021

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

D.N. Nation posted:

I watch this every third month or so and it always holds up.

The match rules, of course, but it's also some of the best set pieces Kevin Dunn (??? !!!) ever got filmed. Early stretches inside the cell with the camera behind Undertaker's broad shoulders while he stalks HBK like a serial killer. Camera dudes in super-close range during the beat down. Camera dudes taking bumps. The long, slow shot of Kane strolling to the ring. Perfect visual storytelling.

e: another "perfect match" nominee: Becky/Charlotte, last woman standing, Evolution. Charlotte as relentless terminator who finally, just barely, can't get up one more time. Every booking issue you'd ever have with her, acted out in the match itself, but with a happy payoff for once.

Something about the shots of them fighting on top of the cage are very cool.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

oh yeah, forgot about the BLOOD DRIPPING ONTO THE CAMERA LENS. Rad stuff.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Some of the CIMA/Magnum TOKYO matches back in the Toryumon days were drat near perfect.

Defiant Wrestling had a fantastic Ricochet/Ospreay match in the semifinals of their World Cup tournament in I think 2017. I even showed that match to some non-fans and they were riveted.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I'm like a broken record with this, but my pick is British Bulldog vs. Warlord at WrestleMania 7. You start off with two wrestlers with limited ability who for some reason have fantastic chemistry and bring out the best in each other.

Then you give them a really basic story: British Bulldog's two characteristics are that he's British and he's super strong. Now he's up against a heel who is bigger and seemingly stronger than him, threatening to make him straight-up obsolete. Bulldog has an uphill battle pulling off his finisher because it means lifting up the massive Warlord. He has an even bigger uphill battle with Warlord's full nelson finisher because if it gets locked on, he's probably not going to be able to power out. Great. It's a simple storyline that can build towards a single PPV match.

Plus I love the dynamic of "big, strong face takes on someone bigger and stronger, therefore having to change up his strategy," which is why Sheamus vs. Big Show was a fun series. It leads to 8 minutes of Bulldog playing up his speed and the two working off each other exceptionally well. When Warlord goes for the full nelson, Bulldog is able to power out, BUT it's not as clear-cut because Warlord wasn't able to fully lock it in and use the hold at its strongest. Bulldog hits his running powerslam and wins and you have an entirely solid bout.

It ended up being a little too good, as WWF kept having them face off at PPVs after that. SummerSlam was a six-man tag, they were on opposite teams at Survivor Series and then they had a not-quite-as-good rematch at Tuesday in Texas.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
What was the origin of "Bork Laser"? I want to say it was something to avoid a copyright takedown, but I don't know the specifics.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

What was the origin of "Bork Laser"? I want to say it was something to avoid a copyright takedown, but I don't know the specifics.

I think it's just a silly typo that caught on

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

sticklefifer posted:

It was that, yeah.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it came from people putting up wrestling videos on youtube with code names. i think wrestling in general was called "cheese souffle" or maybe that was code for WWE or something. i'm sorry i don't know.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

was it before youtube? I'm sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

bork laser