Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

PurpleXVI posted:

That's even allowed over there? Here we have a blanket ban on recommending any contractors or tradesmen, because if they gently caress up, we could potentially be on the hook to some extent.

Yeah Lowes/Home Depot etc don't actually employ tradesmen, so when they offer free install on your flooring or window covering purchase or whatever they contract that stuff out to the cheapest contractors they can find. You won't find a lot of skilled contractors willing to work for those scraps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah Lowes/Home Depot etc don't actually employ tradesmen, so when they offer free install on your flooring or window covering purchase or whatever they contract that stuff out to the cheapest contractors they can find. You won't find a lot of skilled contractors willing to work for those scraps.

I had impact windows put in through Home Depot, and the installers were excellent. Cleaned up after themselves, did a superb job, took all the required photos for the inspector, and even put some custom trim up around my two sliding glass doors (and charged it to Home Depot as part of the installation cost.) Combined with the Home Depot volume pricing on the windows themselves (impact windows go on 20% sales in the off-season down here) and a bit of interest-free financing, I spent probably half to two-thirds what I would have anywhere else. I really couldn’t be happier with the whole project.

I also fully acknowledge that I lucked the gently caress OUT, and never expect to get that kind of experience through them again. I recommended that crew to a couple other people, and the one person that went through with it had the same experience.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah it's probably really location dependent too. I had a few rooms carpeted and went with the Lowes installers because it was such a small job, and they did just fine. A neighbor had a door and a few windows replaced, and went with installation from the same store, and the job was so bad they had to complain to corporate to get it remedied.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Slanderer posted:

Looked up that unit on the wall, and then the wiki page explained what's going on:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_recovery_ventilation

The duct going into the floor is probably the air intake from outside, and it's run underground for heat exchange.

The whole house looks to be super energy efficiency, which means it probably has weird odors and had a carbon footprint for manufacturing it that might not be offset by the carbon reduction from heating efficiency for a long while

The manual say that's the 'stale air from inside', and the outdoor air seems to be coming in/out via the insulated ducts. Is there a crawlspace or something below there? I'm wondering if the borrowed the HRV input to provide additional ventilation somewhere?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, crawl space underneath.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Wait a second, a brand new house in Manitoba with HRV that has a crawl space instead of slab or basement? Is that common in the area?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This is out in East Selkirk and a slab basement would just crack too much apparently with the way the ground is. So they have giant piles underneath and in our garage too after we paid extra there. Thankfully my FIL worked concrete his whole life or that would have been hosed as he told the guy to add them there too.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Vintersorg posted:

I read it first as crawl space undeath, which should be a bad homebrewed D&D adventure.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I once bought a window air conditioner from Home Depot that offered free installation for some reason, so hell yeah a guy came and lugged that sucker up the stairs and put it in for me.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

FCKGW posted:

Yeah I think they have windowless rooms because they have big fuckoff walk in closets and wine caves and cigar rooms and other places that don’t need windows and not because they’re human trafficking

:wtc:

Or they're doing the MCM thing of having all the windows on the rear or side so your pesky 1950s neighbors can't see into the front.

p sure Frank Lloyd Wright did it first, the design below is from 1921

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

My parents' house does that - it's basically a square, and the wall towards the garage has no windows. On the first floor, there's a garage in the way anyway, and on the second floor there was a long walk-in closet all along that wall. The rest of the house has a normal amount of windows. It honestly works fine, even after we removed most of the closet to expand one room with a bed nook and convert some hallway into a small office - it just means there are two rooms that only have windows on one of their two exterior walls. The living room has bookshelves on that entire wall anyway.

It's also a small Norwegian suburbian house from 1955 or so, hand-built (and designed) by my great-grandfather & family; they didn't really have the budget for human trafficking at the time.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Computer viking posted:

It's also a small Norwegian suburbian house from 1955 or so, hand-built (and designed) by my great-grandfather & family; they didn't really have the budget for human trafficking at the time.

:eek:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

“Found a steam room and a hot tub in my basement behind a wall during demo”

https://imgur.com/gallery/0lnSNIP

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Computer viking posted:

My parents' house does that - it's basically a square, and the wall towards the garage has no windows. On the first floor, there's a garage in the way anyway, and on the second floor there was a long walk-in closet all along that wall. The rest of the house has a normal amount of windows. It honestly works fine, even after we removed most of the closet to expand one room with a bed nook and convert some hallway into a small office - it just means there are two rooms that only have windows on one of their two exterior walls. The living room has bookshelves on that entire wall anyway.

If they'd spent some more money on human trafficking and less on the house, then they could have added on later.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Bad Munki posted:

On one hand, something terrible probably had to happen for them to just walled up like that

On the other hand, hey, free steam room

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The guy who said "I'd get some luminol and a uv light in there." has the right idea.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

The Glumslinger posted:

On one hand, something terrible probably had to happen for them to just walled up like that

There are only two reasons I can think of:

1) Literally haunted

2) There's a plaque on the hot tub that reads "B. S. Johnson".

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

GreenNight posted:

The guy who said "I'd get some luminol and a uv light in there." has the right idea.

Spare the mental horror. Just do several days of pressure washing those spaces. Then burn the house down.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

wesleywillis posted:

If they'd spent some more money on human trafficking and less on the house, then they could have added on later.

You know how it is - it's expensive being poor.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Re: Home Depot contractors.

I knew a guy who was a fantastic contractor (skill wise), but couldn't run the business side to save his life (couldn't quote, was bad at estimating time, couldn't manage finances, do his taxes for the business right, etc.) He ended up working for First General, and before that was an installer for Lowe's. Some people just need someone to adult for them while they have fun with tools. . . but yeah. Don't get big box contractors if you can avoid it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The Glumslinger posted:

Someone suggested that it was built without any permitting or inspection, and the sellers decided that it was easier to simply wall it up and hide it rather than try to deal with the headache of selling it unpermitted. Seems like that would be the best-case scenario for this.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

Uggh I hate it when the demo is actually the full version but with stuff walled out.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Uggh I hate it when the demo is actually the full version but with stuff walled out.

Just need to crack it, as in this case.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

Bad Munki posted:

The gently caress is a steam room? An erzats sauna?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

By popular demand posted:

I read it first as crawl space undeath, which should be a bad homebrewed D&D adventure.

Many years ago, shortly after moving in to our first home, my wife “heard noises” in our crawl space and was convinced that we had rats or some other animal down there. To make a point out of how ridiculous she was being, I got my suppressed .22 pistol out of the safe, made a show of loading it right in front of her, and ventured onward into the crawl space at 930pm on a Saturday because that is what counts for entertainment in suburbia when you don’t have kids yet.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That sounds like great entertainment for any time if you switch to a BB gun and have some drinks.
But yeah you don't want kids anywhere while this happens.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

devmd01 posted:

Many years ago, shortly after moving in to our first home, my wife “heard noises” in our crawl space and was convinced that we had rats or some other animal down there. To make a point out of how ridiculous she was being, I got my suppressed .22 pistol out of the safe, made a show of loading it right in front of her, and ventured onward into the crawl space at 930pm on a Saturday because that is what counts for entertainment in suburbia when you don’t have kids yet.

What the gently caress.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Loezi posted:

The gently caress is a steam room? An erzats sauna?

It's like a sauna but it uses heated water instead of rocks. Same temperature, but much higher humidity.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

So was it rats or what???

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Vintersorg posted:

What the gently caress.

Hi, welcome to America, we have guns here.

Honestly, not the gun I would've chosen (Mostly because I only have one gun), but a real solid choice. .22 doesn't have much power, so you're not going to damage much beyond the rat, and if I was potentially going to be crawling out of my crawlspace with blood on me, the suppressor would at least keep me from surfacing in a crowd of very interested cops.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ultrafilter posted:

It's like a sauna but it uses heated water instead of rocks. Same temperature, but much higher humidity.

Traditionally, you throw water on the rocks in a sauna.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Dareon posted:

Honestly, not the gun I would've chosen (Mostly because I only have one gun), but a real solid choice. .22 doesn't have much power, so you're not going to damage much beyond the rat, and if I was potentially going to be crawling out of my crawlspace with blood on me, the suppressor would at least keep me from surfacing in a crowd of very interested cops.

Your behavior is genuinely concerning.

nightchild12
Jan 8, 2005
hi i'm sexy

Dareon posted:

Tests show that .22lr will penetrate 4 or 5 interior walls or 3/4" of plywood, so it's not exactly safe to be shooting indoors or anywhere without a solid backstop.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
Wet noodles in this thread missed a chance to call him a bitch for not taking out a blunder bus to repel freeloaders.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Dareon posted:

And plenty of batshit crazy gun owners!

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

packetmantis posted:

I reiterate, as a gun-owning American.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

spiky butthole posted:

Wet noodles in this thread missed a chance to call him a bitch for not taking out a blunder bus to repel freeloaders.

Flamethrower for tunnel work. Obvs.

A pellet gun will take out mice. Not sure about rats or squirrels. A trap is more effective but way less interesting.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

stealie72 posted:

Flamethrower for tunnel work. Obvs.

A pellet gun will take out mice. Not sure about rats or squirrels. A trap is more effective but way less interesting.

A decent powered .22 cal pellet gun will take out rats no problem.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

packetmantis posted:

Genuinely confused about this statement, have I done... anything? My post was a shrug of tacit approval, are those somehow worthy of concern now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
To the vast majority of the rest of the world, someome thinking "better get my loaded gun" immediately after "heard a noise I don't recognize" is weird and scary.

That being said, a single mother friend was hearing weird noises under the floors at night in a rental house. She started finding dolls and toys hung on her fence shortly after. turns out there was a crawl space under a trap door under the porch that her landlord didn't tell her about and the homeless guy had broken in and had been living in there for weeks. But her first thought was to call the police and then move out, not grab her piece and start firing rounds into the floorboards.

Dillbag fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 23, 2021