Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Is snow melting fastee in a circle around the base of a sapling a sign of life? I've been worried about my fall plantings all winter.

Maybe? Trees do retain heat that helps melt snow but I'm not sure if they have to be alive to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Hi thread, it's been a while. I'm just dropping by because moments ago I was reminded of the time I decided to argue for multiple actual real-time minutes with a doctor of plant physiology over whether Poaceae were C3 or C4 during a loving thesis presentation, and I want to die with just as much burning desire right now as I did then.

Thank you for your time and thanks for choosing to visit hell, i'll be here all week and also probably forever.

Wallet posted:

Also found this gnarly, hairy little thorn covered weed. Anyone recognize it? I haven't seen it around here before but it might have been a hitchhiker with something else I planted. Looks kind of like some kind of thistle.

drat man, that looks like just the dirt nastiest little thistle. If it's just popping up in your yard chances are good it's invasive but if you want to let that bad boy fester for a couple years just to see how filthy it can get (you could maybe get a positive ID too idk), I wouldn't blame you.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ragtime All The Time posted:

Not sure of the species but am assuming it is a common juniper which I think is indigenous to the area but has been in decline over the past few hundred years.

The world’s most widespread woody plant is never a bad guess.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Here it is:

Will add an additional photo when awfulapp decides to stop crashing.

e:

Not sure of the species but am assuming it is a common juniper which I think is indigenous to the area but has been in decline over the past few hundred years.

bonus sphagnum moss and window cat:

My first general thougts with more later when I read up a little bit on the subject.

Your Juniper looks in pretty bad shape and has a very limited space for the roots to spread out.

I would be careful what you do with the soil around the roots in case by trying to relieve one problem you damage the roots and make the Juniper even more unhappy.

Mulching with park/chippings can cause problems with uptake of nutrients and exacerbate the problem.

Tea fertilizer is perhaps the key here to getting nutrients directly to the roots without disturbing them
I use one from Orus, or Wuxal that are very good for evergreens.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

treat posted:

drat man, that looks like just the dirt nastiest little thistle. If it's just popping up in your yard chances are good it's invasive but if you want to let that bad boy fester for a couple years just to see how filthy it can get (you could maybe get a positive ID too idk), I wouldn't blame you.

I'm idly curious about what the gently caress it is because even for a thistle it's loving out there, but I suppose I should just yank the hell thistle out before it opens a portal to an alternate dimension where the landscape is a sea of thorns and pubic trichomes in the middle of my garden.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Watch this space I'm Gunna grow wine caps

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wallet posted:

I'm idly curious about what the gently caress it is because even for a thistle it's loving out there, but I suppose I should just yank the hell thistle out before it opens a portal to an alternate dimension where the landscape is a sea of thorns and pubic trichomes in the middle of my garden.

I have a thistle that’s only slightly less eldritch and it’s still there because I can’t be bothered to put on the glove and yank it out.

I’ll get around to it before it sets seed. :effort:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

When I did a community garden 2 years ago the thistles didn't bother me too much, they were relatively easy to pull with leather gloves when young. I did have to deal with some kind of spiny solanum which was worse because it had fewer spines, but they were longer and much stiffer so they'd easily penetrate my gloves if I wasn't careful.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Jestery posted:

Watch this space I'm Gunna grow wine caps

I'm doing that too, plus some shiitake in logs hopefully. Got oak branches and oak chips in abundance around here after a nasty ice storm. Good luck!

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Wallet posted:

Yeah, no matter how impressively gnarly it is, it's most likely Canada thistle so that'd be a good idea. Water it up real good before you pull it to help you get as much root as possible

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Here it is:

Will add an additional photo when awfulapp decides to stop crashing.

e:

Looks like something is eating it unless that white is from something being sprayed on the foliage. Conifers get pale like that when aphids and other sucking insects suck the chlorophyll out.

ed: I should clarify, chewing insects aren't usually an issue unless the juniper is already weakened, so this is more of a symptom than a cause, but it'd probably still be a good idea to give the tree a hand in fighting off pests until it regains some strength

fuzzy_logic fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 16, 2021

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Just had to drag everything back inside for this last freeze, hope all the buds on everything outside keep it locked down!!

Looking forward to posting a big rear end spring update soon, we’ve got a bunch of poo poo that’s putting out blooms in the garden and I just scored 15 MYSTERY PLANTS for dirt cheap at the NCSU horticulture frat fundraiser, pickup in a couple weeks

This winter has been some endless bullshit, it’s so nice to see everything start to pop back to life, especially some plants that I thought had bit the dust (looking at you, trillium)

Edit: was inspired by wallets spreadsheet ans started cataloging all of the plants we’ve put in the ground. Lmao, not ready to come to terms with how many that actually turned out to be

Oil of Paris fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 20, 2021

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Inoculated 5 jars of popcorn and set up a mushroom bed , I wanna get it to be more "vertical" but I figure a bed is enough for now

Bed

Innoculation

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jestery posted:

Inoculated 5 jars of popcorn and set up a mushroom bed , I wanna get it to be more "vertical" but I figure a bed is enough for now

Bed

Innoculation

I’ve never heard of popcorn for inoculation before. That’s really cool. Wine caps are yummy and that looks like it’ll be a good spot for them if they get enough water under there.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Jhet posted:

I’ve never heard of popcorn for inoculation before. That’s really cool. Wine caps are yummy and that looks like it’ll be a good spot for them if they get enough water under there.

Just working with what I know from other , COMPLETELY LEGAL, Mushroom grows I have read about

The bed is at the bottom of the garden so any ground water naturally flows in that direction , we are entering the we season here and it's covered by the stairs so it shouldn't get too soaked I hope

Those stakes on the right have beans planted near them and there is a rogue choko engulfing the area in shade so I think it's a good choice

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Oil of Paris posted:

Just had to drag everything back inside for this last freeze, hope all the buds on everything outside keep it locked down!!

Looking forward to posting a big rear end spring update soon, we’ve got a bunch of poo poo that’s putting out blooms in the garden and I just scored 15 MYSTERY PLANTS for dirt cheap at the NCSU horticulture frat fundraiser, pickup in a couple weeks

This winter has been some endless bullshit, it’s so nice to see everything start to pop back to life, especially some plants that I thought had bit the dust (looking at you, trillium)
I just did my first real day of gardening poo poo yesterday (mulched about half of the beds and then wandered around in the woods hunting for big rocks for garden stuff since I can still see the ground). Somehow the rocks always look smaller once they're in the garden.

Last year I cut in some new beds by going at the grass with a shovel but I've got a really long one I want to put in this year so I think I'm going to try the mulch on top of cardboard thing and see if that can save me a ton of manual labor. Anyone actually done this?

I'm still waiting to see if my crepe myrtles made it or if they're dead back to the roots but I think everything else handled winter fine. I did lose the sweet Sempervivum 'El Toro' I got from Plant Delights last year but that's because they only sent me one head and it flowered before it offset :(. I want to get one of those new Gold Nugget ones that are crazy yellow/orange but I also don't want to get a single head that will fail to offset and make me sad so I may have to hunt for it locally.

Oil of Paris posted:

Edit: was inspired by wallets spreadsheet ans started cataloging all of the plants we’ve put in the ground. Lmao, not ready to come to terms with how many that actually turned out to be
:getin:

No one local is really stocking any plants yet around here but I think my first order of the season (from these guys who have a bunch of cold hearty succulents I haven't seen available elsewhere) is supposed to show up today.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 20, 2021

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Remember when I started up a humidity dome experiment? Here's some photos and a little vid from yesterday to show some progress
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSOPLA1FyqY

And here's some extremely high humidity plants I've got started

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

B33rChiller posted:

Remember when I started up a humidity dome experiment? Here's some photos and a little vid from yesterday to show some progress
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSOPLA1FyqY

And here's some extremely high humidity plants I've got started

love the power strip clamped vertical pincer-style directly over the aquarium, that’s a real pro-tier aquarist move if ever I’ve seen one

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

love the power strip clamped vertical pincer-style directly over the aquarium, that’s a real pro-tier aquarist move if ever I’ve seen one

Get fewer drips in it and subsequent gfci trips this way.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

B33rChiller posted:

Get fewer drips in it and subsequent gfci trips this way.

hope you don’t accidentally pull it down while doing a water change!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Houston, we have mycelium

Edit: additionally I'm growing some oyster mushrooms and oh boy are they aggressive

This is 3 days after spawn and 8 hours apart

Jestery fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Mar 22, 2021

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I've got my first crocus opening up so I think it's officially spring now :toot:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jestery posted:

Houston, we have mycelium

Edit: additionally I'm growing some oyster mushrooms and oh boy are they aggressive

This is 3 days after spawn and 8 hours apart

That's really wild how fast they grow! How long until they fruit?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Get hyphed

for content, a lone Fritillaria pudica in a field of herbicided poo poo.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm in the home stretch of my first batch of Manitoba maples syrup. I harvested 14 L of sap and I'm doing the final reduction into about 300 ml of syrup

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I think one of my barrel cacti has a really bad rust fungus outbreak. I’ve separated it from the rest of my plants, but now I’m scared that my haworthias and dwarf portulacarias are infected

I’ve gotta toss this little guy right?

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 23, 2021

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

I think one of my barrel cacti has a really bad rust fungus outbreak. I’ve separated it from the rest of my plants, but now I’m scared that my haworthias and dwarf portulacarias are infected

I’ve gotta toss this little guy right?

I have never dealt with it on cacti—neem oil should work on it (though there are a lot of different kinds of rust fungi apparently and for all I know it doesn't work on some of them). It's obviously going to be a bit tougher on a cacti since it isn't like you can remove the impacted leaves, but as long as it's separated it seems worth giving a shot.

Edit:

Bonus Gymnocalycium stenopleurum that decided to open up today.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 24, 2021

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

poo poo, anyone ID this? Looks some like fungus or disease on one of my lemons

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Looks like I’m around 190 unique taxa planted, many in multiples and I’m sure I’m forgetting a few lol

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

treat posted:

Get hyphed

for content, a lone Fritillaria pudica in a field of herbicided poo poo.

My brother saw all of our nodding fritillarias blooming a couple years back and said “why the gently caress you have all these emo flowers?” and I’ve never been able to think of them by another name since

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nosre posted:

poo poo, anyone ID this? Looks some like fungus or disease on one of my lemons

It’s possible it’s something like Botryosphaeria infection, but I think it’s just sunburn.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I have birthed my 9L oyster mushroom cake

There is some contamination, which is unsurprising. But it's looking well and I'm confident it will work out

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
ramps guy didn't ship this year since shipping times have been unpredictable, so I bought some bulbs and planted them. we'll see how they do.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

So my place (bay area, california) has an ancient wisteria vine in the front that I'm cool with.

I've gone ahead and murdered the other 4 that were growing around the house but I'm considering letting a little new shoot that I found in the back grow up and around my fence. Is this a terrible/horrible/no-good idea? I have v mixed feelings (and plenty of fears) about wisteria

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

El Mero Mero posted:

So my place (bay area, california) has an ancient wisteria vine in the front that I'm cool with.

I've gone ahead and murdered the other 4 that were growing around the house but I'm considering letting a little new shoot that I found in the back grow up and around my fence. Is this a terrible/horrible/no-good idea? I have v mixed feelings (and plenty of fears) about wisteria
The wisteria here is blooming now and I loving love it. Smells so good.

I'll hate it in 2 weeks.

Honestly it's not that hard to kill if you cut the vines and paint with undiluted roundup, especially if it's a youngish plant.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
There’s some nice native wisteria, especially the cultivar amethyst falls, much less vigorous and easy to control

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oil of Paris posted:

There’s some nice native wisteria, especially the cultivar amethyst falls, much less vigorous and easy to control

I think they might play well together on the same trellis. The native one is really pretty and blooms later in summer and not mid-spring like the exotic wisteria. Some friends have the native one and I can’t remember if it is fragrant or not but it does have really pretty flowers.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I think they might play well together on the same trellis. The native one is really pretty and blooms later in summer and not mid-spring like the exotic wisteria. Some friends have the native one and I can’t remember if it is fragrant or not but it does have really pretty flowers.

yeah I spotted the new shoot in my yard because it was blooming up in one of my trees and I was like "what is that enchanting flower?!" It's really lovely.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t hate wisteria (yet), but if I had a healthy mature vine, I would get rid of the younger shoot because there are several vines I would rather have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Tulip shoots are up, crocus blooms are out, and the bunnies haven't touched a single one! Makeshift chicken wire fence ftw!