Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Arquinsiel posted:

BFG kept going for a surprisingly long time given how confusing it was for Jimmy 12 year old to play. Gorkamorka, Mordheim, and to a lesser extent Necromunda all benefitted hugely from being playable on regular terrain, but also with easily available figures.

ETA since I forgot earlier:
I love that they just went "oh yeah, and she's Kal Jericho's mom" with that figure for absolutely no reason.

BFG produced some of the best gaming moments I can remember, even if its gunnery tables seemed to be a pen and paper attempt at recreating the Dreyer Fire Control Computer. I wonder if BFG's longevity had something to do with the backing it had from senior developers and execs-- plus a lot of older gamers seemed to have liked it, and GW wasn't quite so heavily oriented towards the 12 year olds with mum and dad's money demographic as they were later in the 2000s.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Fearless posted:

BFG produced some of the best gaming moments I can remember, even if its gunnery tables seemed to be a pen and paper attempt at recreating the Dreyer Fire Control Computer. I wonder if BFG's longevity had something to do with the backing it had from senior developers and execs-- plus a lot of older gamers seemed to have liked it, and GW wasn't quite so heavily oriented towards the 12 year olds with mum and dad's money demographic as they were later in the 2000s.

As someone who was in Workshop at the time - we really, really were.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

ETA since I forgot earlier:
I love that they just went "oh yeah, and she's Kal Jericho's mom" with that figure for absolutely no reason.

For all I know the comic where she shows up has something to do with that. Or the model inspired the comic. No idea when they came out in comparison to each other.

In other news: gently caress UPS.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They pretty much just decided it around when the miniature was released IIRC.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I finished Penitent earlier, and apart from being taken aback by its frankly staggering plot revelations I also found myself thinking that one particular part of the book could be a huge bitch for some translators. After all, not in every language does the word for "eight" come first in an alphabetised list of numerals. It doesn't in French, for example, where "deux" precedes "huit". Seems like this would be tricky to work around at best. :v:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Re: Penitent

Not sure about the plot revelations of Penitent. I mean, it's likely Valdor has been chilling out with a secret plan for/with the Emperor and that's why all Chaos are going insane because he may have found a way to finally wake/heal the Emperor. The Inquisitors find themselves having to fight alongside Valdor and maybe even the Emperor if he's somehow existing in the Immaterium this entire time. Valdor was the most loyal to the Emperor and was his right-hand man, even beyond his Primarch "sons". He's not going to be some rando bad guy or third party without 10 more books explaining it. He disappeared because the Emperor tasked him with a contingency plan like the Primaris marines.

I'm hoping this finally just moves the plot of the Emperor waking after 30 some years (10,000).

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Given that Penitent is set some centuries before the current timeline*, it's safe to say that whatever its ending is setting up, it isn't going to be a galaxy-shattering event despite having all the potential for it.

The next book Pandaemonium has basically two options: 1) nothingburger, everything that's being set up fails, although in a suitably epic and tragic fashion; 2) the conflict results in the creation of some long-term assets (people, artifacts, knowledge, whatever) that are going to lay dormant for a few centuries and may come back into play whenever the main plot requires them.

I just hope if it's #2, that they do have a plan to actually bring back those assets. The Fulgrim clone plot has always annoyed me because it should be a big loving deal but it's likely to just stay buried in Solemnace forever since it was just a plot device for a (relatively) side characters. Come to think of it, the Glandhounds from the same series also have the same problem. Treating the thing in Penitent the same way as those in Fabius Bile's books would be a lot worse.

* Preempting the mandatory "but warp nonlinear timeline fuckery": it's a useful cheap excuse for side stories like BFG2's fleet or the Grey Knights' adventures, but you can't have the main Imperium plot hinge on random time travel throwing $VERY_IMPORTANT_CHARACTERS from the distant past into the current day.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
I think BFG was successful (for a given quantity) because its players loved the wonky but very lore correct way the factions played. Choas played more like modern ships, Imperial Navy played like WW1 ships, Eldar were a pain in the arse etc.

Its biggest problem was that the Chaos ships were underpointed and some matchups were just unfun. Playing Orks against Eldar was as fun as dropping bricks on your feet.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
At least Armada makes the factions fun. Ramming with a full fleet of Ork ships using the big red button never gets old.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Reminder the new Carcharodons book as well as the new HH primarch short story anthology both release tomorrow (midnight tonight from Amazon). The regular edition of Luther goes on pre-order, and tomorrow the Bandai White Scars action figure goes on sale for one week only on the GW site.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Cooked Auto posted:

My penultimate Warhammer painting dream is getting a crack at doing the Jena Orechiel figure from that line. But it is so much a pipedream because it's an I54 model.

I looked it up out of curiousity and wow, it's not just some extremely expensive thing to buy, there's just none of them left? If someone found one unpainted in their attic they could make a lot of money.

What was your ultimate painting dream?

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 26, 2021

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

NihilCredo posted:

* Preempting the mandatory "but warp nonlinear timeline fuckery": it's a useful cheap excuse for side stories like BFG2's fleet or the Grey Knights' adventures, but you can't have the main Imperium plot hinge on random time travel throwing $VERY_IMPORTANT_CHARACTERS from the distant past into the current day.

I present Exhibit A, the extremely profitable MCU, your honour.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

If you're in the US you can snag a White Scars figure here too:
https://p-bandai.com/us/item/N2584054001001

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Brendan Rodgers posted:

What was your ultimate painting dream?

Oh yeah, that means second. I actually forgot. :v:
In that case I'd say a Forgeworld Vulture, or even a Thunderbolt.
Or everything on my GW wish list. Which is quite hefty by now.

Arquinsiel posted:

They pretty much just decided it around when the miniature was released IIRC.

Ah, that is kinda sudden I'll admit.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

D-Pad posted:

Reminder the new Carcharodons book as well as the new HH primarch short story anthology both release tomorrow (midnight tonight from Amazon). The regular edition of Luther goes on pre-order, and tomorrow the Bandai White Scars action figure goes on sale for one week only on the GW site.

Should I try to get a copy of Red Tithe along with the new Sharkmarines book?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Azubah posted:

....dammit why do I have to be responsible.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Bro good looking on that figure, I had totally missed that they are doing another one. Looking forward to the traitor side as well, a world eater would be sick

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Azubah posted:

I'm kicking myself I didn't get the first three Bandai figures. They are expensive on eBay now. I don't collect figures, but I'm a sucker and recently bought the Mcfarlane SoB and Space Marine artist proof editions and now I want the others too. I wonder if they have a one limit per person on the scar? The Salamander/Fist figures are going for over double retail on eBay, not a bad investment to pick up a few extra...

MariusLecter posted:

Should I try to get a copy of Red Tithe along with the new Sharkmarines book?

My understanding is this new book is not a direct part of the series of the other two shark boy books so it might give you more background on the chapter but it isn't necessary.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Azubah posted:

How is this a 100 bucks and the McFarlane ones were like, 20 bucks

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How is this a 100 bucks and the McFarlane ones were like, 20 bucks

It's GW getting in a laugh at big plastic Gundams exposing their price gauging.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Just finished the new Blood of the Emperor primarch anthology. It was pretty good, worth buying. Short though. We finally get to see some Horus origin story that clears a few things up.

The Magnus story was probably my favorite. Brooks and Wraight both have good stories too. Alpha Legion and Death Guard.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
I just finished re-reading the Ravenor omnibus in anticipation of re-reading Pariah and then starting Penitent -- actually, am finishing up Magos before starting Pariah -- but something confuses me that either I'm missing or was a thread that seems dropped somewhere among the Ravenor books:

In the first Ravenor book, when they leave Eustis Majoris and board the Hinterlight, Harlon Nayl takes Zael to visit Bequin, who is being kept in stasis in a room on the ship. After things go bad for them in Firetide at the end of the first book, the Hinterlight is too damaged to travel for awhile (and Cynia Preest is potentially unwilling to work with them any more), and so Ravenor and crew end up leaving the Hinterlight and going on Unterworth's ship. So far as I can tell, Preest and the Hinterlight don't get mentioned again until the very end of Ravenor Rogue, and so what happens to Bequin's body on the Hinterlight? The ending of Ravenor Rogue is pretty fresh in my mind, and I don't recall Preest saying anything about it when she suddenly shows up again with Ravenor, who has traveled on to her ship through the door from the Wych House. Am I correct in concluding that it's just never mentioned again in the Ravenor trilogy? Am I mis-remembering something in Pariah (which I last read when it came out) that explains what happens between Nayl visiting Bequin in stasis and the end of the Ravenor series?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

McCoy Pauley posted:

I just finished re-reading the Ravenor omnibus in anticipation of re-reading Pariah and then starting Penitent -- actually, am finishing up Magos before starting Pariah -- but something confuses me that either I'm missing or was a thread that seems dropped somewhere among the Ravenor books:

In the first Ravenor book, when they leave Eustis Majoris and board the Hinterlight, Harlon Nayl takes Zael to visit Bequin, who is being kept in stasis in a room on the ship. After things go bad for them in Firetide at the end of the first book, the Hinterlight is too damaged to travel for awhile (and Cynia Preest is potentially unwilling to work with them any more), and so Ravenor and crew end up leaving the Hinterlight and going on Unterworth's ship. So far as I can tell, Preest and the Hinterlight don't get mentioned again until the very end of Ravenor Rogue, and so what happens to Bequin's body on the Hinterlight? The ending of Ravenor Rogue is pretty fresh in my mind, and I don't recall Preest saying anything about it when she suddenly shows up again with Ravenor, who has traveled on to her ship through the door from the Wych House. Am I correct in concluding that it's just never mentioned again in the Ravenor trilogy? Am I mis-remembering something in Pariah (which I last read when it came out) that explains what happens between Nayl visiting Bequin in stasis and the end of the Ravenor series?

IIRC, Alizebeth Bequin's body went missing something like 50 years after the Ravenor trilogy, and her being mentioned in Ravenor was more to explain what happened to her after the Eisenhorn Trilogy when she was found alive but unconcious.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I had the same confusion on my latest reread. It's mentioned once then never again. I figured maybe it was mentioned in one of the short stories that I skipped in this reread.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

About halfway through the new shark boys book and it's pretty good. I wasn't expecting much because this is a new BL author, but I like it a lot. The carcharodons are a super interesting chapter, which I knew from the other books, but this author does a great job of conveying the weirdness and menace of them.

Also there is a stealth assault by Astartes wearing only loincloths using surfboards.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
loving sold!

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

D-Pad posted:

About halfway through the new shark boys book and it's pretty good. I wasn't expecting much because this is a new BL author, but I like it a lot. The carcharodons are a super interesting chapter, which I knew from the other books, but this author does a great job of conveying the weirdness and menace of them.

Also there is a stealth assault by Astartes wearing only loincloths using surfboards.

Yeah, the Carcharadons seem kind of like a person's made up chapter where "they got a chapter master that's bigger than any marine ever, and he's older too" and "they've secretly got the biggest fleet", but the gimmick is actually pretty cool where they travel between populated areas, the ocean of space, and have been fighting the tyranids who also hang out between the galaxies.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If the Sharks ever get an audio book they need Cali Surfer Dude accents.

Also The Invaders space marine chapter is meant to be a parody of United States foreign intervention after I looked them up and I refuse to believe otherwise.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

D-Pad posted:

I had the same confusion on my latest reread. It's mentioned once then never again. I figured maybe it was mentioned in one of the short stories that I skipped in this reread.

Thanks. I just finished Perihelion, and have just "The Magos" left to read, and unless it's mentioned in that one, then no, it's not in any of the other short stories collected in that book.

It just seems weird that it's presented as having some significance in Ravenor -- Nayl makes a special trip -- and then by the end of the book it's just forgotten about.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/tv-shows/Street-Sharks/

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Arcsquad12 posted:

Also The Invaders space marine chapter is meant to be a parody of United States foreign intervention after I looked them up and I refuse to believe otherwise.

The new space sharks book, "silent hunters", does have an audio book release on blacklibrary.com. I can't confirm if they have Cali Surfer Dude accents but I sure do hope so.

Miguel Prado fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 29, 2021

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

just get Jermaine Clement to do all the voices.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'm a fan of books that drop you right into a setting and let you work it out through context so I enjoyed Legion, right up until the sudden and unsatisfying ending which is somewhat of an Abnett trademark.

Yeah I actually really like scifi where you gotta use context clues to figure things out. It can add an alien atmosphere that I really enjoy

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

McCoy Pauley posted:

Randalor posted:

IIRC, Alizebeth Bequin's body went missing something like 50 years after the Ravenor trilogy, and her being mentioned in Ravenor was more to explain what happened to her after the Eisenhorn Trilogy when she was found alive but unconcious.

D-Pad posted:

In the Ravenor books, I've always thought "and then her body just went missing at some vague point" was kinda weird. There's a small line in Penitent about this that could be significant or could just be nothing:

Penitent posted:

(Warning: this quote comes from near the end of Penitent. It doesn't give away the spoilers people are freaking out about, but it gives away, by implication, some stuff.)

'You look so alike,’ it said. I did not understand. The xenos being was not the first to make such a remark, nor, I thought, would it be the last time I would be told such a thing. But the implication was that, somehow, this creature had known Alizebeth Bequin, or was at least familiar with her likeness. How could that be? All along there had been hints that Gideon Ravenor had had some dealings with aeldari kind in the past. This suggested a long and complicated involvement.

There's an explanation for this that's perfectly banal: The eldar saw Bequin's body at some point off-screen when the body was in stasis, and this throwaway line is nothing more than another fill-in-the-gaps reminder to the reader about Ravenor's past dealings.

But... that being said, my totally-out-there Penitent theory is that Bequin 1.0 is still alive.

Even if Bequin 1.0 isn't actually alive, my gut tells me that "oh and then she finally died off-screen and they made pariahs with her DNA" isn't all the pay-off that Abnett is going to pull or draw out from that hanging plot line. There's something *else* that happened there. Seems weird to me to keep her alive for three books and then kill her off screen, since, if the pay-off was always just using her DNA, there are easier ways to do that which don't also offer some hope of her awakening. (Why would her body even need to be in Ravenor's care at all?)

Maybe Bequin's hanging out in Pandemonium. Maybe it just has to do with more revelations regarding what exactly Ravenor's been doing with the Eldar and filling in the gaps of what happened to her body beyond "it disappeared off-screen, don't worry about it." (Maybe Ravenor asked for their help? A mix of Pontius Glaw-type stuff and wraithbones?) There's something about the context and that line that makes me think it's at least a little more than just a throwaway reminder that Ravenor hangs out with the Eldar.

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 29, 2021

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Google says Mortis will be available for us plebs april 13. Is this bullshit? Amazon doesn't show it at all for me.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

DirtyRobot posted:

In the Ravenor books, I've always thought "and then her body just went missing at some vague point" was kinda weird. There's a small line in Penitent about this that could be significant or could just be nothing:

There's an explanation for this that's perfectly banal: The eldar saw Bequin's body at some point off-screen when the body was in stasis, and this throwaway line is nothing more than another fill-in-the-gaps reminder to the reader about Ravenor's past dealings.

But... that being said, my totally-out-there Penitent theory is that Bequin 1.0 is still alive.

Even if Bequin 1.0 isn't actually alive, my gut tells me that "oh and then she finally died off-screen and they made pariahs with her DNA" isn't all the pay-off that Abnett is going to pull or draw out from that hanging plot line. There's something *else* that happened there. Seems weird to me to keep her alive for three books and then kill her off screen, since, if the pay-off was always just using her DNA, there are easier ways to do that which don't also offer some hope of her awakening. (Why would her body even need to be in Ravenor's care at all?)

Maybe Bequin's hanging out in Pandemonium. Maybe it just has to do with more revelations regarding what exactly Ravenor's been doing with the Eldar and filling in the gaps of what happened to her body beyond "it disappeared off-screen, don't worry about it." (Maybe Ravenor asked for their help? A mix of Pontius Glaw-type stuff and wraithbones?) There's something about the context and that line that makes me think it's at least a little more than just a throwaway reminder that Ravenor hangs out with the Eldar.

I would not be surprised at all if Bequin 1.0 is alive in Pandaemonium and her involvement is critical in the resolution of the King in Yellow plotline.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

There's a simpler explanation: this Eldar has run into Grael clones before, which is why he calls her that and recognizes her.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Given (Pariah, Penitent, other Abnett works) that one of his Gaunt's Ghosts books remarks that Eisenhorn meets a horrible end, it would not surprise me if Original Alizabeth touches Eisenhorn without a limiter and he goes poof like a psyker is supposed to when they touch an unshielded blank.

VanSandman fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 29, 2021

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I think in the original eisenhorn books they touch or something and he just feels really sick or revolted.

Should be roughly around the point where they first meet and she doesnt know what she is and he isn't positive shes a blank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Im an idiot and cant make spoilers work properly

Nuclear War fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 29, 2021