Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I think they might play well together on the same trellis. The native one is really pretty and blooms later in summer and not mid-spring like the exotic wisteria. Some friends have the native one and I can’t remember if it is fragrant or not but it does have really pretty flowers.

Very fragrant, and yeah it’d be a nice combo, as soon as the Asian wisteria is done blooming the native one would shortly thereafter kick off

I’m also with platystemon though; there’s a ton of other vines that would be a beautiful complement, especially in the Bay Area. Always jealous of no freeze climates hah

If you want something native, dramatic, and also have room for an aggressive climber, I recommend passionflower (passiflora incarnata) bc it looks like something you’d find on an alien world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Passionfruit is one of the ones I was thinking of, yeah. I like the flowers and foliage better than wisteria’s, and the fruit is nice. It can rival wisteria in aggression. It doesn’t smell like much, though.

Maypop (Passiflora incarnata) can take significant cold. The fruit is good but distinct from the more common, tropical P. edulis. They are dioecious, so you need a mail and female to get fruit. In the Bay Area, you might as well grow P. edulis for year‐round greenery and self‐fertility.

I saw Akebia quinata or ‘chocolate vine’ in the nursery the other day and I want one. I hear they’re locally invasive, but again, if wisteria is the benchmark here, that’s not a problem.

Chinese gooseberries, very successfully marketed by New Zealand as ‘kiwifruit’, is another edible option. Actinidia deliciosa is the commercial species. A. arguta is known as ‘hardy kiwi’ and has grape‐size fruit. Both are dioecious.

This last one I don’t see as a competitor to the others, but I want to give a shoutout to Apios americana as an underrated edible vine with nice flowers.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Platystemon posted:

It’s possible it’s something like Botryosphaeria infection, but I think it’s just sunburn.

I hope you're right, but sunburn is not so... localized, no? These spots have some sharply defined edges and some are quite interior to the plant. Like this one is in the bottom 3rd and right up near the trunk, which would be shadier than the rest

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hmm that does look more worrying.

Could it be leprosis?

There’s another gallery of affected plant material here.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Platystemon posted:

This last one I don’t see as a competitor to the others, but I want to give a shoutout to Apios americana as an underrated edible vine with nice flowers.

I have one of these in a hanging basket that's never really thrived (no flowers). I really need to figure out where to move it.

It's related to wisteria but grows more like passion vine. Maybe I could put the two of them together.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Ok yea that does look pretty close. Comparing this one in particular

with mine

And they have had spider mites in the past, which spread it apparently, so...

On the plus side, if it is this, looks like it just comes from the mite bites, so going ham on them and pruning the affected areas should clear it up

Thanks so much!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Platystemon posted:

I’ve never tried growing those but have seen it in the woods and the flowers smell amazing. Closest thing to the smell of rosewood I’ve found that isn’t rosewood.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Platystemon posted:

I saw Akebia quinata or ‘chocolate vine’ in the nursery the other day and I want one. I hear they’re locally invasive, but again, if wisteria is the benchmark here, that’s not a problem.

I just ordered some trifoliata a few weeks ago to try to grow on a trellis I put up last year because other than ivy (no way am I planting ivy) I couldn't find many evergreen/semi-evergreen options for shade and I like the foliage. Excited to see how they do. I can't find as much information about where trifoliata is invasive but I assume it's much the same as quinata.

Jestery posted:

I have birthed my 9L oyster mushroom cake

Is that normally how mushrooms get planted? I've never considered growing them intentionally but I'm always excited when a cool one pops up in my garden.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 26, 2021

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Is it feasible to grow one of these beautiful vines on a container trellis in 6a? I'd be happy to bring it in at the end of the season.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Chinese gooseberries, very successfully marketed by New Zealand as ‘kiwifruit’, is another edible option. Actinidia deliciosa is the commercial species. A. arguta is known as ‘hardy kiwi’ and has grape‐size fruit. Both are dioecious.

I bought some hardy kiwi fruits at the grocery several years back. They are quite tasty and have completely edible and smooth skins. So it really is like a grape-shaped mini kiwi.

Edit: they are pretty cold hardy too, up to zone 5-ish iirc. However I've read that they can have trouble with frost killing off early flower buds which can prevent fruiting for the year. Here's an OSU extension article about it if you're interested https://ohioline.osu.edu/factsheet/hyg-1426

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 26, 2021

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Hirayuki posted:

Is it feasible to grow one of these beautiful vines on a container trellis in 6a? I'd be happy to bring it in at the end of the season.

As a kid I remember having a passionflower that came back year after year in zone 6a. We had it in a big pot and cut it back every fall. We stored the stems and root ball in the green house over winter. The year we tried to leave it outside it died, so don't do that.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Bi-la kaifa posted:

As a kid I remember having a passionflower that came back year after year in zone 6a. We had it in a big pot and cut it back every fall. We stored the stems and root ball in the green house over winter. The year we tried to leave it outside it died, so don't do that.

You can definitely grow some varieties outdoors in zone 6/6a (some are good to 5) in the ground and they will come back each year though they may die back to the ground if you have an unseasonably cold winter.

Plants in containers are a different beast because there's far less soil to modulate temperature changes and a lot more surface area relative to soil. I believe the rule of thumb is that if you are growing something in a container that stays outdoors you want the plant to be hearty two zones below your actual zone (so e.g. for a container you're going to leave out in zone 6, you want a plant hearty to zone 4). You'll generally be fine one zone below your actual zone, but you need to be ready to do something about it if it stays near your zone's estimated minimum for a sustained period.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hirayuki posted:

The Apios americana/American groundnut is native to the entire eastern US and even southern canada and so should be fairly hardy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If anyone is getting Apios americana, get an LSU variety. Louisiana State University had a program to breed the things to produce larger tubers. Funding was cut, but not before progress had been made.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Wallet posted:

Is that normally how mushrooms get planted? I've never considered growing them intentionally but I'm always excited when a cool one pops up in my garden.

I would not call it traditional , but it is followed the general production techniques

It's generally a process of taking a spore or mycelium sample and innoculating/introducing progressively larger sterile amounts of spawn material. Sort of like bulking up a sourdough starter

As your amount gets larger it becomes more resistant to contamination and you can allow it to fruit in open air

Here I have effectively made a log/stump of straw for the mushrooms to grow on, aswell as put hardwood mulch down for it to spread throughout

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

If anyone is getting Apios americana, get an LSU variety. Louisiana State University had a program to breed the things to produce larger tubers. Funding was cut, but not before progress had been made.

The fate of many a great plant

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Ahhh poo poo yall, was drunkenly wandering the gardens and came upon two unlikely shoots, definitely thought they were dead from epic neglect but they made it. This is gonna look so cool in a couple years !!! https://www.plantdelights.com/collections/new-plants-added-march-26-2021/products/disporum-smilacinum-aureovariegata

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Idk who cares or who is close by JC Raulston Arboretum is having a big rear end plant sale next month. I big time doubt they ship but I’ll keep you guys informed. These sales are very much in the philosophy of the arboretum: find the prettiest and weirdest poo poo on earth and bring it back for rigorous testing :dafuq:

If you guys really want something from the list I will aid you. Just let me know best way. I’ll try to help but The Best Way is to join, which gets you entry to weird poo poo like this but also the epic plant giveaway

And yeah, I’m plugging for my boys hard, idgaf. This channel kept me sane thru Covid and has drat near inspired me to do some side hustle S a garden consultant. These lads have the best plant channel on the web imo. Not even gonna embed a link. Do it yourself your lazy piece of hahah

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Last post but in times like these I really respect the raulston arboretum in their desire to just get plants out there. Sell them for cheap, give them away, gently caress it, let’s do our members right. That’s very cool to me in this increasingly lovely world and I hope you guys keep them on your radar bc they’re always up to some wild poo poo (and I’ve learned the vast amount of my plant knowledge from their YouTube lol)

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT
Anyone have luck growing native California honeysuckle in a container? Mine has had the worst aphid infestation for months, after repeated treatments of insecticidal soap and just spraying the aphids off manually. (Doing aphid control and spraying on adjacent mint and sage too, which seem to be acting as reservoirs.)

Even the soap seems to be making it suffer too; I picked off the dead leaves to see where the aphids were continuing to damage, and 30-40% of the remaining, formerly green leaves are now dying. I'm tempted to get some Bt for the soil, if Bt for aphids even exists. I already killed a trailing Clinopodium through scale infestation and neglect, I don't want to kill this one too :(

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Oil of Paris posted:

And yeah, I’m plugging for my boys hard, idgaf. This channel kept me sane thru Covid and has drat near inspired me to do some side hustle S a garden consultant. These lads have the best plant channel on the web imo. Not even gonna embed a link. Do it yourself your lazy piece of hahah

I'm half a country away from NC but I'm checking out their channel on your say so—I see a lot of lectures that look like extremely my jam.

I've found a lot less good plant content on YouTube than I would expect but maybe I just don't know where to look. Succulent related channels, in particular, seem to all be people with 100 subscribers holding a camera four inches from their face that grow stuff in peat-with-a-sprinkle-of-perlite and give dubious care advice because they live somewhere drat near tropical where the local climate does all of the work for them.

What channels are people getting good plant learning from these days?

The only ones I currently follow (probably because someone posted them in the last thread) are:
  • Crime Pays but Botany Doesn't - Goes all over north/south America to look at weird native plants. Also talks to lizards, snakes, and racoons.
  • Summer Rayne Oakes - Does cool tours of botanical gardens, has a frankly unsettling number of houseplants.
  • HortTube with Jim Putnam - Gives a lot of (not always 100% up to date) practical advice from a landscaping perspective.

Oil of Paris posted:

Last post but in times like these I really respect the raulston arboretum in their desire to just get plants out there. Sell them for cheap, give them away, gently caress it, let’s do our members right. That’s very cool to me in this increasingly lovely world and I hope you guys keep them on your radar bc they’re always up to some wild poo poo (and I’ve learned the vast amount of my plant knowledge from their YouTube lol)

A bunch of the greenhouses attached to universities around here are a lot like this. You can get some really nice plants for a song when they do their annual plant sales. Unfortunately last year all of them got cancelled because they were all scheduled for right when the world shut down. I'm hoping they're back this year.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 27, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Wallet posted:

[*]Crime Pays but Botany Doesn't - Goes all over north/south America to look at weird native plants. Also talks to lizards, snakes, and racoons.

Tony’s awesome- he also got sent to New Caledonia in 2019, and I want to say a bunch of Oceania, but I can’t remember.

A botany association of some sort recently posted a video of him giving a lecture out of character, which I saw a few days ago, but they appear to have taken it down.

Wallet posted:

[*]Summer Rayne Oakes - Does cool tours of botanical gardens, has a frankly unsettling number of houseplants.

I like her channel, but her brand is literally “Brooklyn chicken keeper” and it’s hard not to go a little :rolleyes: sometimes.

I feel like there’s a bunch of channels that have a very similar vibe- Harli G comes to mind, although I have no clue if there’s any real copying going on anywhere with anybody, or who originated the idea of plant vlogging like that, etc.

Most of the other plant channels I currently follow are either bonsai-specific or orchid specific (hopefully gonna dive further into this huuuuuge mistake I’ve been making and get some vanda/catleya/oncidium genus multipacks with my tax refund)

You’re right about succulent-related stuff being a wasteland of phone videos, but it’s not like a lot of the most popular and successful plant channels are really all that substantive, for all that the production values might be better.

Like a third of them are people just showing off their collections and rattling off lists of plants they do/don’t like, a third of them are plant stores/people in plant sales giving boilerplate info, and a third of them look like an investment banker’s trophy wife’s business/hobby where she reads the Spruce out loud at the camera from an iPad in her giant living room.

And some of the most popular ones are all three!

It is fun to see how many plant tubers have, like, legit scary numbers of plants (like 300+ in a shared apartment, etc) and the subtle subculture of plant flexing online. Makes me feel normal.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I bought a medusa head cactus (euphorbia flanaganii) at an indoor plant sale because I'd never seen anything like it before, and now I am more invested in it than any plant I have ever had and all I want in my life is for it to succeed and be happy. I don't speak plant very well though so I'd love some advice about what I should be doing for it.

When I bought it I googled and saw that it wants at least 6 hours a day of direct sunlight and unlike most succulents it doesn't deal well without regular watering. At first I thought I might put it in my garden but after a couple of days sitting out there it looked really unhappy so I've brought it inside (I'd prefer it inside anyway where I can see it more often!). My house doesn't really get direct sunlight in so yesterday I bought it a little grow light. This is how it looks right now:

Questions:
-Does it need a bigger pot? It looks a bit cramped in the current one and it's hard to pour water on the soil rather than onto the plant.
-The internet tells me that a sign of it needing water is the branches(???) curling back in towards the centre. To me it looks like that's what's happening now but when I put a skewer into the dirt it does come back up damp so I also think it has enough water for now. Should I just ignore the internet telling me that or wait until it curls back even further?
-Some of the spines have gone brown rather than the green they are supposed to be. Is this from a week of not enough light or from overwatering or from something else that I should change?
-Should I leave the light on all the time or turn it off sometimes? Does "needs at least six hours of direct sunlight" translate to "needs six hours of grow light" or should I do longer?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Organza Quiz posted:

-Does it need a bigger pot? It looks a bit cramped in the current one and it's hard to pour water on the soil rather than onto the plant.
You should definitely consider going up a few inches if the plant is cramped. You may want to get one of those little squeeze bottles to get water under it because even with a more appropriately sized pot it's not always easy to get water in the pot with plants shaped like that. Getting water on the stems isn't going to hurt it, it just might make a mess.

Organza Quiz posted:

-The internet tells me that a sign of it needing water is the branches(???) curling back in towards the centre. To me it looks like that's what's happening now but when I put a skewer into the dirt it does come back up damp so I also think it has enough water for now. Should I just ignore the internet telling me that or wait until it curls back even further?
It's very hard to say how often you should water it without knowing what it's growing in and so on, but I would very much err on the side of watering it less rather than more. If it sits in moist all the time without getting to dry out the roots will rot. It will be much harder to kill it by under watering it than over watering it.

I would consider replacing whatever it's growing in with a gritty mix (there's more info about gritty mixes in the third post in this thread) when you replant it because it will greatly reduce your risk of rot.

Side note: They're stems in this case, not branches. A branch is a stem that grows from one of the nodes on another stem, basically/usually.

Organza Quiz posted:

-Some of the spines have gone brown rather than the green they are supposed to be. Is this from a week of not enough light or from overwatering or from something else that I should change?
I wouldn't worry too much about this unless they all start browning out. Those are actually modified leaves—the stems are photosynthetic so it isn't really relying on them.

Organza Quiz posted:

-Should I leave the light on all the time or turn it off sometimes? Does "needs at least six hours of direct sunlight" translate to "needs six hours of grow light" or should I do longer?
It will need time in the dark to grow and respirate correctly. Six hours of direct sun definitely does not translate to six hours of grow light. I don't know what bulb you have in there, but you probably want to get a timer and have it turn on for 14 hours a day.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 29, 2021

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Thanks! I will get some stuff on the weekend and try my hand at repotting.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

Tony’s awesome- he also got sent to New Caledonia in 2019, and I want to say a bunch of Oceania, but I can’t remember.

Yeah he definitely went to Australia at some point.

I didn't see all the New Caledonia stuff, but it was pretty neat since New Caledonia is fairly unique, ecologically. It's got a lot of fern diversity (including big tree ferns) and some early branches of flowering plants as well. It's also got Parasitaxus usta which is the only parasitic conifer. Just some wild poo poo on that island.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

{Chillernote: I snipped out a bunch for brevity's sake}
I like her channel, but her brand is literally “Brooklyn chicken keeper” and it’s hard not to go a little :rolleyes: sometimes.

It is fun to see how many plant tubers have, like, legit scary numbers of plants (like 300+ in a shared apartment, etc) and the subtle subculture of plant flexing online. Makes me feel normal.

I also enjoy SRO's channel, especially when she visits houses that have big solariums or are designed to act as greenhouses. It's pretty sad that a lot of the really nice places she visits, the residents are often so busy with other things, that they say they don't have any time with the plants, pay someone else to water them, or are just never around. They got the moneys for the nice stuff, but not time to enjoy it.

Regarding the subtle culture of plant flexing, to me at least, this forum flexes harder than most of the YTs I've seen. Some of you goons' collections / knowledge are downright intimidating!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

B33rChiller posted:

I also enjoy SRO's channel, especially when she visits houses that have big solariums or are designed to act as greenhouses. It's pretty sad that a lot of the really nice places she visits, the residents are often so busy with other things, that they say they don't have any time with the plants, pay someone else to water them, or are just never around. They got the moneys for the nice stuff, but not time to enjoy it.

You’ve touched on what bothers me better than I did— most plant YouTube isn’t very instructional or science-focused, and a lot of the most successful stuff is mainly just wealth porn.

I have the same problem with a lot of “green” YouTube/architecture YouTube/tiny home YouTube/etc. Like 70-80% of it is the sorts of people who both wanted and could afford to have an architect cover their 150 year old barn with tempered glass, or people who can afford to blow $100k loving around with learning how to do a Sprinter conversion in situ.

The other 20-30% is also untested unscientific crap, but at least it’s done on the cheap.

At least Plant YouTube seems to be over its “I just spent $800 on (variegated Instagram hotness)” phase.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
My local scrub turkey decided to help out and spread my hay/mycelium puck

Oh well, big rain predicted a week from now

I figure if I keep shoveling mycelium into the ground I'll get Mushrooms eventually

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Organza Quiz posted:

I bought a medusa head cactus (euphorbia flanaganii) at an indoor plant sale because I'd never seen anything like it before, and now I am more invested in it than any plant I have ever had and all I want in my life is for it to succeed and be happy. I don't speak plant very well though so I'd love some advice about what I should be doing for it.

When I bought it I googled and saw that it wants at least 6 hours a day of direct sunlight and unlike most succulents it doesn't deal well without regular watering. At first I thought I might put it in my garden but after a couple of days sitting out there it looked really unhappy so I've brought it inside (I'd prefer it inside anyway where I can see it more often!). My house doesn't really get direct sunlight in so yesterday I bought it a little grow light. This is how it looks right now:

Questions:

That’s a gorgeous E. flanaganii! I must add one to my....erm....stable

Wallet gave you some good advice- it looks like it needs a size-up or two. I’d also recommend putting it in unsealed terra cotta (available cheap at any nursery/garden store/home depot/etc). Euphorbias love containers that breathe and it’ll make water and moisture management much better.

Pot in a succulent mix of some sort, don’t overthink it. Euphorbias are pretty bulletproof as far as a lot of big succulents are concerned, they’re popular garden plants in the southwest.

I water all of my euphorbias between every two weeks and once per month (maybe even five weeks), depending on the temp/season, how much lighting they get, whether they’re outside in the summer sun and heat, and whether they’re stressed (usually you can tell because stressed euphorbias tend to rapidly drop all their leaves).

Once you’ve had enough time with your plant you’ll figure out how to read it well enough. If it’s in a consistent indoor location, you can probably expect to make sure it gets water every 21-28 days, 14-21 if it goes outside in the summer.

That said, always check your plant first. When in doubt, always go an extra week or two (you’ll notice if the plant gets really thirsty)

For watering, underwatering is always much better than overwatering.

A slightly wrinkled up succulent will always perk back up good as new if watered in time, but once a succulent becomes waterlogged and rot starts to set in you’ve probably lost some of the plant’s long-term aesthetic value, at minimum.

With euphorbias you want to check the firmness and rigidity of their flesh. If it’s soft and yielding, the stems are droopy, and the soil’s bone dry then it’s worth watering.

As for technique- I vastly prefer bottom-watering all of my plants. You want to really saturate the soil and avoid getting your plant too muddy, and top-watering often leads to unsatisfactory results in both categories.

Get yourself some plastic watering trays (the deep ones) at the hardware store for like 50 cents a pop. Or you can go to the dollar store and get plastic bowls/storage bowls/big tupperwares/etc. You’ll want to sit the pot in there for anywhere from 1 to 4 hours depending on its size (sometimes I get lazy and leave a plant overnight, but definitely no more than a few hours), until the soil is completely saturated, but never muddy. The pot should drain itself of excess water and be ready to go on a saucer relatively quickly after being pulled out of the water.

This is where the terra cotta really shines, as the porous material allows water to easily penetrate and soak the container and also allows the wet soil to then breathe and balance the pot’s internal humidity with the surrounding air. It becomes particularly helpful as the plant’s roots grow to fill the pot because the breathable ceramic allows air and water to easily reach all of the roots without wet spots or “dead zones” forming.

ZZ Raven, in terra cotta, having a drink

As for lighting, Wallet’s advice was also good. “6hrs direct” often assumes outdoor sun. Generally I’d say a $9 GE grow light bulb is plenty for one plant, you can set it on a timer to go on and off with the sun, or thereabouts (maybe move it back a few hours for your own benefit or whatever). It’s debatable how important photoperiodicity and faking seasons is for your plant, but if you’re worried you can always increase the amount of “daylight” in the summer months and decrease it in the winter. Or you can keep it consistent and probably be fine, but also don’t be shocked if your plant starts acting unpredictable wrt flowering and whatnot.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Mar 30, 2021

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Thanks! That's all extremely helpful. Once I've proven to myself that I can keep it alive I'm gonna try get a nice head-shaped planter so it can live its true snake hair destiny.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Organza Quiz posted:

Thanks! That's all extremely helpful. Once I've proven to myself that I can keep it alive I'm gonna try get a nice head-shaped planter so it can live its true snake hair destiny.

I vastly recommend a normal-shaped planter and an outer head-shaped container, for practicality’s sake.

What size pot is it currently in?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah that's probably more sensible. Circumference is 34cm!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Ok Comboomer posted:

You’ve touched on what bothers me better than I did— most plant YouTube isn’t very instructional or science-focused, and a lot of the most successful stuff is mainly just wealth porn.

I have the same problem with a lot of “green” YouTube/architecture YouTube/tiny home YouTube/etc. Like 70-80% of it is the sorts of people who both wanted and could afford to have an architect cover their 150 year old barn with tempered glass, or people who can afford to blow $100k loving around with learning how to do a Sprinter conversion in situ.

The other 20-30% is also untested unscientific crap, but at least it’s done on the cheap.

At least Plant YouTube seems to be over its “I just spent $800 on (variegated Instagram hotness)” phase.

Phytosexual doesn't take himself too seriously and has decent information most of the time. Also cheekbones.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

I'm not sure it really is based on the poo poo YouTube keeps recommending to me. I am happy that Instagram's eye seems to have mostly fallen off of succulents these days. I had to wait more than a year to be able to buy a decent sized Dioscorea elephantipes after Instagram turned them into unobtainium.

There's definitely a dearth of actually informative content–most of the good stuff I have found is just people showing off cool/interesting plants like Tony and Summer Rayne's better videos.

I'm afraid that people giving garbage advice unequivocally will always draw a larger crowd when it comes to plants. Most of the audience is searching for someone to give them a list of instructions for keeping a given plant alive and healthy: water x amount every x days, fertilize this often with this kind of fertilizer, make sure they get such-and-such hours of direct light, and so on. "Spend at least a few minutes a couple of times a week carefully observing each of your plants" is much better advice than anything you're going to get from someone giving you a list of precise care instructions without asking a bunch of questions about your conditions first, but when you're new to it that isn't nearly as comforting.

I would feel extremely irresponsible telling anyone else to follow my watering schedule: with a few exceptions my succulents in small pots (<7") get watered twice a week, larger ones once a week. I'm way too lazy to bottom-water all of these plants I have somehow accumulated—my spreadsheet says I have currently have 52 species of succulent (spread across ~40 pots) in my living room :stonk:—so I water from the top with one of these until water comes out of the bottom and then I do a second pass to get the substrate fully saturated. If someone who just got their first few succulents tried to follow that watering schedule without having the same conditions and medium, they would rot everything out within the first two weeks.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Everyone always prefers the advice that is clear, simple, and wrong to the advice that is technical, complex, and correct.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wallet posted:

I would feel extremely irresponsible telling anyone else to follow my watering schedule: with a few exceptions my succulents in small pots (<7") get watered twice a week, larger ones once a week. I'm way too lazy to bottom-water all of these plants I have somehow accumulated—my spreadsheet says I have currently have 52 species of succulent (spread across ~40 pots) in my living room :stonk:—so I water from the top with one of these until water comes out of the bottom and then I do a second pass to get the substrate fully saturated. If someone who just got their first few succulents tried to follow that watering schedule without having the same conditions and medium, they would rot everything out within the first two weeks.

Yeah I noticed you use a really nice looking porous gravelly looking medium (pumice?) that looks like what a lot of fancy succulent showing people use, whereas I use a combination of

1) miracle gro succulent mix (pillowy soft and super high in organics for a succulent soil, scrub tier poo poo that will get you snorts from 55 year old randos on plant forums, but the plants that like it loving love it), and it’s way nicer than:
2) the soil the plants came in (often poo poo, spent to hell, if you’re talking about the stuff I recently reused when separating some E. trigona). Mix it with #1.
3) mystery dirt. I don’t remember where it comes from but I have pots of the stuff. Don’t actually use mystery dirt, that one’s there mainly for laughs.

Anyway it means that I’m usually more in danger of overwatering than underwatering, which is excellent because I still can barely manage with all the plants I currently have.

TLDR: Your babies dine on grassfed filet mignon, my babies eat Mickey D’s every day.

Also I have like a hundred pots you guys, I literally dread the day I will have to move from this home. I may have to do some kind of giveaway/sale in the near future. I have too many euphorbia propagates.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

Also I have like a hundred pots you guys, I literally dread the day I will have to move from this home. I may have to do some kind of giveaway/sale in the near future. I have too many euphorbia propagates.

I have this problem too. I've taken pothos cuttings, I have big rear end monstera cuttings to deal with. I have 2 parts of a split aglomena that I've spent 2 years building back into a plant after my wife tried to murder it. I also may have given all my peppers of the 5 main Capsicum cultivars (they're indoors, they sort of count) a big prune and have started about a dozen more cuttings too. Basically, I'm going to put a post out on neighborhood groups so people can come and take some of this stuff off my hands. I am going to put some of the big monstera cuttings outdoors to grow and hopefully die in the winter next year. Or maybe the come back, but I don't have room for 2 giant monstera inside.

I also just moved house and yes, it is as terrible as you're dreading.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I avoid Miracle Gro just because every time I use it I suddenly have a fungus gnat infestation. I go with promix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Is it just here or has everyone suddenly learned about crown raising and gone way overboard? I swear they weren't doing this a few years ago. Every tree in town is uglier now.