Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PJOmega posted:

I read the first mistborn because it was touted as a magical heist book and it really ended up being not that. Any suggestions in that vein? Lies of Locke Lamora similarly failed to deliver.

The Second Book of Swords by Fred Saberhagen is a magical heist against a massive underground temple treasury defended by secrecy, spells, dragons, and demons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

The Second Book of Swords by Fred Saberhagen is a magical heist against a massive underground temple treasury defended by secrecy, spells, dragons, and demons.

...do you have to read the first book to appreciate/follow the second book?

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
You don't but you should. Book of swords series is fun.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
https://twitter.com/M00000CH/status/1371211291801616390

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:drat:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Oh dear, the 2M subscriber Pixer/Harry Potter focused Carlin brothers channel are now promoting Rothfuss as good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ9B3_jMFkY

"In the second book there are some amorous situations to be aware of, they aren't like horribly explicate but they are there" :hmmyes:

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 26, 2021

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Write the book, Rothfuss.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

Oh dear, the 2M subscriber Pixer/Harry Potter focused Carlin brothers channel are now promoting Rothfuss as good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ9B3_jMFkY

"In the second book there are some amorous situations to be aware of, they aren't like horribly explicate but they are there" :hmmyes:

The man spends chapters and chapters loving in the second book

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Terror Sweat posted:

The man spends chapters and chapters loving in the second book

It’s like a major character “arc” development too. It’s actually very incel-esque that of all sudden women know “this guy is a sex haver”

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

It’s like a major character “arc” development too. It’s actually very incel-esque that of all sudden women know “this guy is a sex haver”

... which Rothfuss communicates by having a bawdy, saucy tavern wench notice Kvothe’s sudden Big Dick Energy after he returns from his intensive, magical Sex Boot Camp in Faerie.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Chicken Butt posted:

This is actually one of the most fascinating questions in literature. Some of the great literary works in history have been the result of a genius sitting down, writing something, and handing it over to be published, already a perfect jewel. Much more common, though, is the classic situation of a grizzled older editor with a good grasp of what sells, and what plays well with literary critics, guiding a young, neophyte writer to sculpt a promising but unruly mass of confusing plot, awkward metaphors, and under-realized characters into something sharp and memorable.

Which raises some interesting questions:
- Just how bad *was* the first draft of this Kingkiller monstrosity?
- How much heavy lifting did Rothfuss' editor, Betsy Wollheim, have to do to make The Name of the Wind coherent and entertaining?
- How bad was the first draft of The Wise Man's Fear??

Fortunately, for that last question, there is a detailed answer in Rothfuss' blog.

Edit: this blog post is also a must-read for an entirely gratuitous "Catgirl Threeway" cartoon, and a reference to his alleged role as "advisor" to a College Feminists group.

Interesting read from the blog. There's still some unaccounted for stuff like the referenced scene where Kvothu molests an underage sex trafficking victim though which, on top of being weird and disgusting, reads as drastically out of place. It wasn't edited to fit in with the rest of the book.

I do remember once reading a blog post from the woman who wrote The Princess Diaries. When her first book was accepted by a publisher it went into the editing process. It was a historical romance. The author recounted that her editor sent her back a print manuscript that was covered with notes about historical inaccuracies that needed to be corrected. Since it was the author's first book she felt deeply injured by this which resulted in her tearing all the notes off and sending it back as is. Apparently the book was published as-is with minimal edits and to this day it still gets dragged for being historically inaccurate.

Considering how prideful Rothfuss is about his writing """"technique"""" such as it is, I wonder if his editor tried to correct his mistakes but he refused to change anything. I suppose it could be a case of the publisher going "lol okay" and just letting it be published. It's not like the hardcore fans are particularly discerning so it doesn't impact sales in a negative way.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

HIJK posted:

Interesting read from the blog. There's still some unaccounted for stuff like the referenced scene where Kvothu molests an underage sex trafficking victim though which, on top of being weird and disgusting, reads as drastically out of place. It wasn't edited to fit in with the rest of the book.

I do remember once reading a blog post from the woman who wrote The Princess Diaries. When her first book was accepted by a publisher it went into the editing process. It was a historical romance. The author recounted that her editor sent her back a print manuscript that was covered with notes about historical inaccuracies that needed to be corrected. Since it was the author's first book she felt deeply injured by this which resulted in her tearing all the notes off and sending it back as is. Apparently the book was published as-is with minimal edits and to this day it still gets dragged for being historically inaccurate.

Considering how prideful Rothfuss is about his writing """"technique"""" such as it is, I wonder if his editor tried to correct his mistakes but he refused to change anything. I suppose it could be a case of the publisher going "lol okay" and just letting it be published. It's not like the hardcore fans are particularly discerning so it doesn't impact sales in a negative way.

I've heard the stories of famous authors/poets who submit their latest work but forget to add a letterhead, so it goes to a random editor who rejects it outright with notes like amateur, unpublishable etc. so there's probably a massive amount of nepotism and power of the gatekeeper that goes into getting a book published. Social factors probably weigh heavily in decisions as well.

Rothfuss comes up a lot as this fantasy god-emperor off two books, but N.K Jemisin got her first book published one year before Wise Man Fear came out, and wrote the Broken Earth trilogy in three years becoming the first person ever to win the Hugo three consecutive years in a row. Meanwhile she talks on twitter how she can't even get meetings to discuss tv/movie deals while Kingkiller was getting LMM and major studio buzz AND wasn't even able to quit her full time job until she set up a patreon AFTER almost finishing her second book trilogy.

I'm not qwhite sure what the difference is, but I'm sure r/kingkiller would have a ton of "well actuallies" primed and ready if they just didn't ban the questions on principle alone. At this point I wonder how much of the attention he gets is just an institutional presumption that he's a "good fantasy writer" based on....certain characteristics.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The demographics for typical fantasy reader might be changing but I think Kingkiller is much more marketable to the type of people reading fantasy, especially 10 years ago, than Jemisin’s work.

Kingkiller doesn’t actually challenge its readers in any way. A work that comforts and offers a power fantasy to readers will sell much better than one that discomforts them.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 27, 2021

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I was just going to say that if you want to read about teenage sex with gods and magic then the first book of the inheritance trilogy is vastly superior and not even particularly challenging, though the second one is better.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

pentyne posted:

I've heard the stories of famous authors/poets who submit their latest work but forget to add a letterhead, so it goes to a random editor who rejects it outright with notes like amateur, unpublishable etc. so there's probably a massive amount of nepotism and power of the gatekeeper that goes into getting a book published. Social factors probably weigh heavily in decisions as well.

This made me laugh, makes complete sense.

quote:

Rothfuss comes up a lot as this fantasy god-emperor off two books, but N.K Jemisin got her first book published one year before Wise Man Fear came out, and wrote the Broken Earth trilogy in three years becoming the first person ever to win the Hugo three consecutive years in a row. Meanwhile she talks on twitter how she can't even get meetings to discuss tv/movie deals while Kingkiller was getting LMM and major studio buzz AND wasn't even able to quit her full time job until she set up a patreon AFTER almost finishing her second book trilogy.

I'm not qwhite sure what the difference is, but I'm sure r/kingkiller would have a ton of "well actuallies" primed and ready if they just didn't ban the questions on principle alone. At this point I wonder how much of the attention he gets is just an institutional presumption that he's a "good fantasy writer" based on....certain characteristics.

Ouch, poor Jemisin. She's put in a lot of work, she deserves better than that. If Rothfuss's crummy work can get this much acclaim then why not her? :v: Gee I wonder...

Rothfuss must have some serious charisma or something going on, even with the geek social fallacies in play. He networks a lot and launders money through his charity and being friends with all sorts gives you a lot of pull.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wasn't he like buddies with the owner of a publishing house or something?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
In 2013 during a speech Jemisin pointed out 10% of the voting members of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America tried to vote in an extreme alt-right libertarian as their president.

Here's a selection of his beliefs

quote:

I am not actively attempting to take away anyone's "most basic rights". Jemisin has it wrong, it is not that I and others do not view her as human (although genetic science presently suggests that we are not all equally homo sapiens sapiens

those self defense laws have been put in place to let whites defend themselves by shooting people, like her, who are savages engaged in attack white people

unlike white males she excoriates, there is no evidence that a society of NK Jemisins is capable of building an advanced civilization

Also known as Vox Day, and an actual advocate for the 14 words, it took her standing up to him to actually result in the SFWA being willing to expel a hardcore racist eugenics arguer and literal Nazi from their ranks.

Honestly reading up more about this and seeing what actually goes on only makes me angrier that Rothfuss is so popular and has managed to go almost 15 years without working or putting in effort on anything besides what hobby he drifts to as a result of a measly two books and a cult of anticipation over him being the next Great Man author.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
It's unfair, but at the end of the day it's an argument about which of two untalented writers deserves more accolades.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

porfiria posted:

It's unfair, but at the end of the day it's an argument about which of two untalented writers deserves more accolades.

were you so excited to take a shot at Sanderson that you didn't realize people were talking about NK Jemisin

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Patware posted:

were you so excited to take a shot at Sanderson that you didn't realize people were talking about NK Jemisin

No.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

I can't tell if the bit is you think her books suck or you are trying to discount the fact that a female poc fantasy writer had/has an insanely lovely time in the industry compared to white guy of (in your opinion) equal talent.

"Unfair" doesn't quite carry the weight of pointing out a successful author being told by a peer that her race is fundamentally inferior and she had to publicly call out a 2000 member org to their face before he was kicked out.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Mar 27, 2021

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
if Rothfuss can get 15 years of dick sucking, tv show deals, mindless praise, thousands of dollars, and 0 oversight for books about his gary stu self insert that gropes drugged children who are trafficking victims, then I think Jemisin can get someone to make a comic book adaptation of her series or something

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Hundred Thousand Kingdoms owns.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

I want a black company movie. Go crazy in the Vietnam analogues, blast fortunate son when the hueys magic carpets are raining napalm magic fireballs on the enemy, play white rabbit when the chronicler is getting his trippy visions

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

pentyne posted:

Also known as Vox Day, and an actual advocate for the 14 words, it took her standing up to him to actually result in the SFWA being willing to expel a hardcore racist eugenics arguer and literal Nazi from their ranks.

Holy poo poo they tried to vote in that shitbag? Jesus christ, I hadn't heard about this. That's loving horrifying, Vox Day is an absolute utter piece of garbage. Like, in addition to all that he's one of the people who launched Gamergate.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
The comparison to Jemisin is indeed depressing; the Broken Earth trilogy is so much better than Rothfuss’ books — it has interesting ideas, originality, a coherent plot, actual characters, a decent prose style ...

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Chicken Butt posted:

The comparison to Jemisin is indeed depressing; the Broken Earth trilogy is so much better than Rothfuss’ books — it has interesting ideas, originality, a coherent plot, actual characters, a decent prose style ...

Plus it comes from someone with a work ethic that leaves him in the loving dirt. First book trilogy 2010-2011, kept working full time as a counseling psychologist, took a gig writing NYT columns, and finally was able to focus on writing full time after setting up a Patreon in 2016. Proceed to start and finish the Broken Earth trilogy in 3 years. Got a MacArthur Genius Grant last year. She's done more in a single year of her career then he's done in 15.

Like, if Rothfuss set up a patreon he'd probably get high 4 figures a month without actually doing anything but constantly going on twitch to talk about all the work he's not doing and his fanbase would gaslight themselves into keeping him paid for decades because of what he might create.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm honestly starting to not hate gurm or Rothfuss for not writing. If I had a choice to not work anymore I 100% would take it too. gently caress working for a living. I'd spend my days building model airplanes or fishing or woodworking or writing a novel or something.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm honestly starting to not hate gurm or Rothfuss for not writing. If I had a choice to not work anymore I 100% would take it too. gently caress working for a living. I'd spend my days building model airplanes or fishing or woodworking or writing a novel or something.

if you've got a gravy train, might as well ride it. the money appears to be endless

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

HIJK posted:

Wasn't there a post some time ago to the effect of "Rothfuss fires any reviewer who suggests changes to the prose" or am I mixing it up with a different high-on-their-farts author?

pentyne posted:

Kingkiller is the ultimate incel fantasy series written by that extremely creepy guy you knew in college who never groomed themselves and smelled like a hobo wrapped in used diapers.

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's not the lack of writing that drives the justified dislike of those two, it's the "gently caress you you're unreasonable and I do what I want" attitudes.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I vaguely remember that Rothfuss taught for a bit and I wonder if he taught creative writing and how that went.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Wasn't there a post some time ago to the effect of "Rothfuss fires any reviewer who suggests changes to the prose" or am I mixing it up with a different high-on-their-farts author?

Kingkiller is the ultimate incel fantasy series written by that extremely creepy guy you knew in college who never groomed themselves and smelled like a hobo wrapped in used diapers.

It's not the lack of writing that drives the justified dislike of those two, it's the "gently caress you you're unreasonable and I do what I want" attitudes.

BananaNutkins posted:

At a convention, I met Kvothfuss and heard him speak. He mentioned that he has "literally" hundreds of beta readers, but he had a rule for offering feedback, and the rule is thus: Don't offer advice on the sentence or paragraph level. That's his wheelhouse. He's spent "literally" hundreds of hours pouring over every line so the read goes smoothly "like water rushing over river stones".

Messing with his prose, he said, was a "slapping offense" and a quick way to get you dropped from his exclusive circle of readers.

Then he read articles from his blog and the crappy school newspaper he wrote for for eight years.

Searching for it also found this gem

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Q: "Is book 3 darker than your beta readers expected?"

A: "It depends on the beta reader."

Which also circles back to his most recent "book 3 is impossible" because he'd been repeatedly implying his elite club of beta readers are seeing his book 3 in progress, yet as of his most recent proclamation he's got nothing for book 3.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

pentyne posted:

Which also circles back to his most recent "book 3 is impossible" because he'd been repeatedly implying his elite club of beta readers are seeing his book 3 in progress, yet as of his most recent proclamation he's got nothing for book 3.

Good gravy what a mess.

Does Gurm get himself into these situations or is he upfront about refusing to write?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

GRRM does a lot less of all the other Rothfuss bullshit, to be fair, plus he's never actually said he has a bunch of poo poo written that he doesn't. he just goes 'it's loving HARD' and eats another giant sausage as opposed to wandering to cons to try to get impressionable 20-year old fans alone in hotel rooms with him

my read on how GRRM talks about this stuff is that he's legitimately trying but gets stuck and demoralized. lots of 'ok THIS time i'll FINALLY DO IT' as opposed to 'what? it's all already done, mostly done. basically done. behold my cheerios'

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Patware posted:

GRRM does a lot less of all the other Rothfuss bullshit, to be fair, plus he's never actually said he has a bunch of poo poo written that he doesn't. he just goes 'it's loving HARD' and eats another giant sausage as opposed to wandering to cons to try to get impressionable 20-year old fans alone in hotel rooms with him

my read on how GRRM talks about this stuff is that he's legitimately trying but gets stuck and demoralized. lots of 'ok THIS time i'll FINALLY DO IT' as opposed to 'what? it's all already done, mostly done. basically done. behold my cheerios'

Ah, Gurm might actually be overwhelmed and depressed and anxious. That's how that reads to me...

Rothfuss might also overwhelmed, depressed, and anxious but he's also been leading people on for over a decade so uhhhh

they both need to :therapy:

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

pentyne posted:

Could just be that he shopped his initial draft around with his beta readers and even they told him that he had to throw it all away. I'm not sure it's possible to express how bad the text would have had to be for even his beta readers (who presumably are people who liked the first two books) to turn against it, though.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I don't hold any resentment towards GRRM especially now that the show ended. It seemed like his books got longer and longer and he got overwhelmed. I do hope we see his version of the ending for asoiaf before he passes away. I saw recently that HBO had to renegotiate the rights recently and GRRM got a huge payout and I was like "good for him".

Rothfuss and his entire shtick can DIAF

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

porfiria posted:

NK Jemisin is such a garbage poster on Twitter that the thought of reading her books makes me faintly queasy but even I don’t think it’s fair to compare her to an absolute sucking void of talent like Rothfuss.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Doctor Faustine posted:

NK Jemisin is such a garbage poster on Twitter that the thought of reading her books makes me faintly queasy but even I don’t think it’s fair to compare her to an absolute sucking void of talent like Rothfuss.

I feel like Rothfuss's virgin nerd cringe is more amusing that Jemisin's lib cringe, but I could be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

porfiria posted:

I feel like Rothfuss's virgin nerd cringe is more amusing that Jemisin's lib cringe, but I could be wrong.

Oh, for sure. Rothfuss at least is fun to dunk on. I haven’t read any Jemisin and she exudes such colossal SFF Mean Girl energy on Twitter I refuse to so I can’t speak to the quality of her work.