Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

there is no outside the company in aliens, except, like people are saying, the aliens themselves

it's pretty explicit about his. ripley is trapped by the inquest's decision that she needs to be busted down to a shittier job because she's somewhere between unreliable and insane, the best option she has is to take burke's offer to get her old position back. she challenges burke's authority on the basis that hicks is the ranking officer rather than burke. she later has that great line about not bring sure which species is worse- the aliens are the only point of reference outside the company available to her in the film.

yea the plot is that all these characters are forced to do something stupid and evil and dangerous by capital and then they all decide in their own ways to blow it all up and fly away. except for burke but hes a dickhead who gets what he deserves. pretty much everyone else including bishop has a full arch of realising that theyre more than the role theyve been forced into

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

indigi posted:

in a similar vein, Terminator > T2 imo

same and same, also Rocky 1 > Rocky 2

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
And let's be real Rambo III > First Blood > Rambo II

Ali Alkali
Apr 23, 2008
good movie i > bad movie ii

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

MeatwadIsGod posted:

And let's be real Rambo III > First Blood > Rambo II

i like seeing cops get owned, but sure, supporting the brave soldiers of the mujhadeen is better as a message

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

Judakel posted:

even if you wanted to buy into this, it doesn't make everyone bad, good, or morally equivalent. so whether there is something outside the company or not is irrelevant to whether they are bad or not

much more to the point, this is how the film is talking about "good" and "bad." ripley's critique of burke, and capitalism, is that the aliens are better both practically and morally because they don't have anyone screwing each other over for a percentage. unfortunately the film doesnt go where we would with that, but it's still a great line.

i'm not going to go full smg and use his argument that the aliens are the colonists transformed into a pseudo-communist independence movement. it does make sense to think of the conflict is those terms when talking about ideology, though. the film picks up the idea from the first film that the biomechanical alien is, fundamentally, just a human but perfectly adapted to its environment (space, or more to the point, a world defined entirely by industrial spaces).

by making the xenomorphs a eusocial hive species, cameron effectively applies this metaphor more directly to the ideological conflict between capitalism and communism (aliens was released in 1986 when people still acknowledged that this exists). as the only alternative to capitalism, they are a threat because they are morally superior and better adapted to the future. unfortunately joining them is unthinkable; the answer is instead to become more like them without going through the radical step of being completely reborn (which is obviously horrific in this metaphor).

scott otoh is actually metaphorically at least onboard with going through with being reborn- like snyder he's a christian.

but weaver was way ahead of either of them though. she tried to get a scene where she fucks the alien.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Hodgepodge posted:

much more to the point, this is how the film is talking about "good" and "bad." ripley's critique of burke, and capitalism, is that the aliens are better both practically and morally because they don't have anyone screwing each other over for a percentage. unfortunately the film doesnt go where we would with that, but it's still a great line.

i'm not going to go full smg and use his argument that the aliens are the colonists transformed into a pseudo-communist independence movement. it does make sense to think of the conflict is those terms when talking about ideology, though. the film picks up the idea from the first film that the biomechanical alien is, fundamentally, just a human but perfectly adapted to its environment (space, or more to the point, a world defined entirely by industrial spaces).

by making the xenomorphs a eusocial hive species, cameron effectively applies this metaphor more directly to the ideological conflict between capitalism and communism (aliens was released in 1986 when people still acknowledged that this exists). as the only alternative to capitalism, they are a threat because they are morally superior and better adapted to the future. unfortunately joining them is unthinkable; the answer is instead to become more like them without going through the radical step of being completely reborn (which is obviously horrific in this metaphor).

scott otoh is actually metaphorically at least onboard with going through with being reborn- like snyder he's a christian.

but weaver was way ahead of either of them though. she tried to get a scene where she fucks the alien.

i mean i agree with your reading of the aliens, as i stated earlier. however, I don't think everyone "within the company" as you put it, is bad, good, or equivalent to one another.

lmao of course scott is a christian, you don't marry into his dumb ideas in the prequels without being one. loving awful

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

People seem to be really upset about the doc

What thr gently caress is this about?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
1987 anime Lily C.A.T. just makes the cat into the monster.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

KomradeX posted:

What thr gently caress is this about?

In the 3rd episode of invincible they fight a "villain" who is taking down mount rushmore because he believes they were racist slavers.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

In the 3rd episode of invincible they fight a "villain" who is taking down mount rushmore because he believes they were racist slavers.

Do they succeed? Cause that would own

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

AnimeIsTrash posted:

well he’s not entirely wrong

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

it is hilarious that he is mad about it because he is given the out of "he has brain damage so he is kinda crazy" and HE IS STILL loving PISSED

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/jowrotethis/status/1376318253815881731?s=19

https://twitter.com/jowrotethis/status/1376333709029253123?s=19

Why are people like this

It's books

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

how many dudes are there out there whod read all of those authors and then refuse to touch a book written by a woman and why do so many twitter blue check journalists and tiktok celebrities keep dating them

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

identity politics as religion

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I wouldn't date anyone who reads books, either.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Someone should let this lady know there is only 1 book she needs unless she's living in the global south with a high peasant population in which she might need a few others.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah somebody give her a copy of the Koran

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
i thought the men dont read female authors had been replaced with the men dont go to therapy trope

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

I forget who said it, but she's lucky he's even read a book, let alone enough books to have opinions about them.

Also, E.L. James is no David Foster Wallace. Neither is Linda Lael Miller. Neither is Noire. Or are those not the kind of non-cis-het-male authors they were thinking of?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Hemingway may have been a shithead on a lot of fronts, but dude fought in the Spanish Civil War. I don't care what anyone says, that's worth something.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Atrocious Joe posted:

critical support for the Aliens in their struggle against the Colonial Marines

This movie is dedicated to the brave Xenomorphs of LV-426.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
to add more fuel to the fire of "xenomorphs as communists," consider that james Cameron heavily based the colonial marines imagery on us troops in Vietnam, implying that the aliens are the viet cong

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
It is all nam as gently caress

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Kind of reminds me of a ecoterrorist villain in the comic who wipes out Las Vegas because he thinks its a dangerous and arrogant waste of natural resources to build a city like that in the middle of a desert. He then builds a fully automated, futuristic solar plant over the ruins that provides free, ecologically friendly power to the entire planet.

The heroes are appalled that he killed an entire city full of people to do this, but they have to grudgingly admit that the solar plant is really effective, and that he had a point about Las Vegas.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
as far as I can tell if you're someone who actually uses twitter you're strictly forbidden from dating people you actually like

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

I'm pretty convinced at this point that this poo poo is fake as gently caress and if Jonathan franzen bros do exist, there are less than 10 in the continental US

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Judakel posted:

They siezed the facility and started a co-op. The queen isn't really in charge, she just plays her part.

Reminds me, I still say the Oompa-Loompas actually run the company, Wonka is just the frontman

Aglet56 posted:

I'm pretty convinced at this point that this poo poo is fake as gently caress and if Jonathan franzen bros do exist, there are less than 10 in the continental US

I'm not at all surprised that twitter people manage to find the biggest weirdos on the planet to date and get mad about

Kinda funny, growing up I actually came to think of writing as more a female thing given Emily Rodda, Tamora Pierce, JK Rowling, all those victorian novelist ladies, and one time in high school I attended a creative writing workshop where I was literally the only boy.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reminds me, I still say the Oompa-Loompas actually run the company, Wonka is just the frontman

I'm not at all surprised that twitter people manage to find the biggest weirdos on the planet to date and get mad about

Kinda funny, growing up I actually came to think of writing as more a female thing given Emily Rodda, Tamora Pierce, JK Rowling, all those victorian novelist ladies, and one time in high school I attended a creative writing workshop where I was literally the only boy.

It is an eco system.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
every movie in the Aliens franchise is good

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Low Desert Punk posted:

every movie in the Aliens franchise is good

look at this blessed motherfucker who's forgotten that resurrection exists

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

look at this blessed motherfucker who's forgotten that resurrection exists

i didn't forget

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
i think that political exegeses of alien (the 1979 film, that is) are fun but ultimately aren't that closely related to the movie. particularly in the latter half, alien is primarily a slasher flick and its emotions are mainly visceral. alien is often described as nightmarish, and indeed, it builds itself on primal fears of assault, infection, and being in a dark room. any analysis of alien that is all about economic relations between the ship's workers and weyland-yutani and etc. are, imo, not really felt in the spirit of the flick. to me, weyland-yutani is kind of just an archetypal ultra-hostile employer, almost comic book-like in its villainy, rather than a coherent vision of a capitalist future

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

McCloud posted:

Now why would a director who constantly had his films meddled with (to their detriment) by film executives obsessed with profit be interested in a book that goes on and on about artistic integrity and not accepting compromises in their art? :thunk:

It's doubly stupid because his Superman is a dude who spent his entire life running around helping people and ends up sacrificing his life for others, which last I checked is kind of frowned upon in the philosophy (and i use that word loosely) of "enlightened self interest"

The whole "Zack Snyder is an objectivist" nonsense was started by sex pest Devin Faraci, and is worth about as much as he is.

this is cringe, lad

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Aglet56 posted:

i think that political exegeses of alien (the 1979 film, that is) are fun but ultimately aren't that closely related to the movie. particularly in the latter half, alien is primarily a slasher flick and its emotions are mainly visceral. alien is often described as nightmarish, and indeed, it builds itself on primal fears of assault, infection, and being in a dark room. any analysis of alien that is all about economic relations between the ship's workers and weyland-yutani and etc. are, imo, not really felt in the spirit of the flick. to me, weyland-yutani is kind of just an archetypal ultra-hostile employer, almost comic book-like in its villainy, rather than a coherent vision of a capitalist future
It's a really good aesthetic theme though. the dry naturalistic workplace dialogue and performances set it apart from every other slasher ever

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i want one of these people to explain sometime what they think infinite jest is about

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I said it before, I'll say it again, Resurrection is easily the worst movie in the Aliens series and it's entirely on Joss Whedon"s writing

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

KomradeX posted:

I said it before, I'll say it again, Resurrection is easily the worst movie in the Aliens series and it's entirely on Joss Whedon"s writing

Release the Snyder Cut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If you like:

* Tom Clancy

* Dale Brown

* Larry Bond

* Stephen Coonts