Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Excellent, we are now past creepy Yusuke and back towards Good Yusuke. He has one of my favorite awakenings (though honestly all of them are good).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Personally I love this big dork but yeah, his introduction isn't the greatest.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Arist posted:

Ngh…

Respect for Yusuke’s loving knees here, holy poo poo.

Not just his knees, but his entire spinal column as well. A shock from below (the landing) coupled with a shock from above (the whack on the head from Morgana) probably would have messed up Yusuke to the point he'd be unable to physically move without extreme pain.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
We're free from creepy Yusuke! Thank gently caress. It's not just the nadir of his character, but the nadir of any of the main cast in the entire game, IMO.

quote:

:getin:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 22, 2021

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

So you are, on some level, aware that this is hosed up…

Yeah this kind of behavior a month ago is worthy of a palace or a visit in mementos.

Arist posted:

The most unusual thing about it is that Ryuji forgets to use Ann’s codename in the preamble.

HEY GUYS, IS THIS THE PHANTOM THIEVES MEETING?

Arist posted:

Anyone who falls for that nonsense probably deserves to be swindled, honestly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLRjFWDGs1g

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I think I’ve discussed this elsewhere, but this early Yusuke feels like him already feeling unsure about Madarame in his heart and compensating by acting in ways Yusuke thinks Madarame would do so. Coupled with his poor social skills in general and his sensibilities about pure aesthetic beauty and art, we get this very uncomfortable thing with Ann.

If I was going to make it less awkward, I wonder if you could do something with him praising the aesthetics of Ryuji as well. But being put off by Ryuji’s personality.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Lord_Magmar posted:

I think I’ve discussed this elsewhere, but this early Yusuke feels like him already feeling unsure about Madarame in his heart and compensating by acting in ways Yusuke thinks Madarame would do so. Coupled with his poor social skills in general and his sensibilities about pure aesthetic beauty and art, we get this very uncomfortable thing with Ann.

If I was going to make it less awkward, I wonder if you could do something with him praising the aesthetics of Ryuji as well. But being put off by Ryuji’s personality.

This is a dude who praises the aesthetics of lobsters, the way to make it vastly less creepy is not to have him go for Ann at all. The context of her arc with Kamoshida means it's just going to be incredibly awkward and offputting to have someone try to coerce her like that.

Unfortunately I guess we can't have him do it to any of the guys because it'd be gay, and we have to keep it because we can't let the game's overall themes or prior plot points get in the way of a bit of juvenile "humor."

I really enjoy P5 on the whole but this bit just needed to be ripped out and replaced wholesale, just adding a few lines where he also appreciates someone else wouldn't be enough IMO.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

That’s also super fair, although Yusuke praises the aesthetics of Joker (doing the posing at the church) and the romance he sees between a couple on a pedal boat (they’re actually siblings). His interests are eclectic and broad, Ann is pretty beautiful, I can see him finding her a worthy subject for an art piece. The nudity stuff is what I’m suggesting he’s picked up from Madarame. Who seems exactly the sort of person to use nude paintings as a way to seduce women.

I do wonder what they’d have replaced it with if they wholesale removed it. Perhaps instead of Yusuke seeking them they seek him to like, do a painting of Morgana as a commissioned piece? Still gets Morgana and Ann in the shack, and you can have the comedy of Ann trying to lockpick and Yusuke following Morgana to the door.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 22, 2021

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Lord_Magmar posted:

That’s also super fair, although Yusuke praises the aesthetics of Joker (doing the posing at the church) and the romance he sees between a couple on a pedal boat (they’re actually siblings). His interests are eclectic and broad, Ann is pretty beautiful, I can see him finding her a worthy subject for an art piece. The nudity stuff is what I’m suggesting he’s picked up from Madarame. Who seems exactly the sort of person to use nude paintings as a way to seduce women.

I do wonder what they’d have replaced it with if they wholesale removed it. Perhaps instead of Yusuke seeking them they seek him to like, do a painting of Morgana as a commissioned piece? Still gets Morgana and Ann in the shack, and you can have the comedy of Ann trying to lockpick and Yusuke following Morgana to the door.

I mean I get what you're saying but the problem isn't that he thinks Ann is aesthetically pleasing, or even that he communicates that, it's that he initially appears to be doing something very similar to what Kamoshida was just rightfully condemned for, and even worse that the rest of the Thieves don't get this or care. And the game itself doesn't seem to either - no character points it out, no one involved seriously apologizes, and it sort of seems like we're supposed to think it's harmless and funny.

If it were extremely deftly done and clearly a moment of failure for Yusuke that he and others acknowledge and clearly regret, and part of slowrolling whether he's a good guy or a bad guy, and the other Thieves took Ann's side, maybe it could be well done. But what we have bears very little resemblance to that. Instead it's pretty obvious he's going to be a Thief, there's no payoff for the plot point, Ann gets no closure, and no one admits they were horrible to her. This is bad, and it's doubly bad given that while Yusuke has a wide variety of things he appreciates aesthetically and being into Ann is totally believable, he's also weird and often doesn't appreciate things he thinks are conventional. So having him be very much not into her would also be totally fitting.

Imagine instead he wants Joker or Ryuji to help, and instead of being nude (which again, uncomfortable echoes of Kamoshida) he has some ridiculous pose he wants them to hold. They could keep intentionally and comedically failing to buy Morgana time to pick the lock, keeping the basic plot intact. And it would be a better establishment of his character as eccentric (thinking Ann is attractive is understandable, but the opposite of unusual here) and not poo poo all over the Kamoshida arc's themes. Plus it could let Ann be pretty realistically conflicted about his not being interested in her despite her being a model. And I just made that up, I'm sure there are plenty of options as good or better.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

You could probably do something with him demanding Ryuji hold a pose on his bad leg, which would create a similar thing where what Yusuke is demanding is unreasonable.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Lord_Magmar posted:

You could probably do something with him demanding Ryuji hold a pose on his bad leg, which would create a similar thing where what Yusuke is demanding is unreasonable.

The simplest fix would be to send the gang out on like Yusuke did on 5/17, and then saying that only Ann is only allowed to come next time (no blackmail, no nude painting) i.e. it is her choice to come at all, but he bars Maaku and Ryuji from coming at all. That is the cleanest way for the story to continue without changing much of the story or having this eerie tone about Yusuke's original behavior. Of course, this removes the deadline that gets established on 5/18, but with how Ann gets caught, I feel like they could just establish a deadline on 5/19 instead.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

PMush Perfect posted:

We're free from creepy Yusuke! Thank gently caress. It's not just the nadir of his character, but the nadir of any of the main cast in the entire game, IMO.

I would not say that at all, but no need to get into it before it happens. But drat, it's as bad as this, only the opposite way.

Anyhow, since the "How This Part Of The Game Might have Been Fixed" train is rolling (thank you Lord Magmar): something that occurred to me when reading the update today is how much less of a problem I would have with this... episode if the whole "stripping for Yusuke" idea had been Ann's from the start. Like, the whole thing leads to an innocent enough place (I too think the clowns honk is a very good punchline noise) it's just the blackmail thing! (Well, this and a lot of "jokes" at the expense of an "innocent" being threatened with sin and squalor...) And it seems like a relatively easy thing to fix- imagine if you will: when Yusuke gets mad and threatens to call the police beforehand, it's Ann who blurts out that she'll strip for him nude if he forgives them. This would allow Yusuke to be... well, still a little skeevy for accepting, but not nearly as skeevy as being the one to suggest it, and give Mona and Skull the parts of "wait a minute here." And then the plan could proceed with the humor and plot beats more or less intact, it would just be the shoe on the other foot, with the guys being worried for Ann (slightly paternalistic, but in the way a teenager would be) and Ann being "Leave it to me, I'll come up with something." Of course, I don't know if that would ever fly in a Persona game, a series notoriously averse to giving any character agency outside of the main character's awareness, much less a female character. There is a reason why THAT PART of this game was such a jaw-dropping twist, comparatively speaking.

I mean, look how much less skeevy the situation becomes with a single line change (line from the last LP):

And all jokes aside, we really will need Lady Ann to strip for Yusuke provide a distraction for me. It’s the only way.

Because that's the crux of this idea, after all, not anything really skeevy, and it's fine. Alas, the writers still seem... confined to this fifties-esqe idea of humor in which when a woman is assertive, she has to be made unattractive in order to be funny; here insert 2 of the female characters of On The Town (dir. S. Donen & G. Kelly, 1949) here. As well as the more conservative Japanese social mores about the fetishization of "innocence" in female roles, and the more global ideas of "virgins" being better to have and more fun to tease. Blech. This will not be the last time this gets brought up...

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
https://twitter.com/UltimaShadowX/status/1374014757150330882?s=20

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 34: 5/19-5/20: Now It’s A Party (New)

This update contains content from Part 33 of the original LP.

Music: Will Power

I learned much from you, Madarame. In order to see authenticity… one must be dispassionately realistic. With Goemon by my side… I can now ascertain your true self without any reservations!

Psst, Joker, you get any of that? What the hell’s he talking about?
I think he’s saying “facts don’t care about your feelings.”

That’s an extremely unfair comparison I just made, and I apologize to Yusuke.

Yusuke’s still loving pissed.

Yusuke’s Baton Pass gimmick is still really good as long as you’re not in a main boss fight—though there are actually some bosses it’s okay against this time. And his stats are still slightly better than Skull’s, so that’s nice. Overall, there’s not much if anything in the realm of outright changes to skillsets in Royal, not even changes to levels they’re learned at.

Music: Desire

You really hosed up now, my dude. Welp, bye!

Curse you, foul legs! Obey your master!
You’re just worn out. Awakening to that power takes a lot out of you.

What a disgrace I am!
C’mon, just listen to her.

Music: Confession/Secret

I’m no fool. Strange people have been coming by for years, and the plagiarism was an everyday affair. But… who would want to admit that the man they owed their life to was doing such terrible things?
Why didn’t you leave, Kitagawa-kun?

He painted the “Sayuri.” But also, I owe him a debt too large to repay… I never knew my father, and my mother raised me alone until she died when I was three. Sensei took me in then. Apparently, he helped her while she was alive. Honestly, I don’t remember her very well either. Sensei was the closest thing I had to a parent for most of my life… but he changed. It’s unforgivable that he would treat the cornerstone of his work, the “Sayuri,” in such a fashion!
Guess you’ve been through a lot, huh?
I must apologize. I knew deep down you were right when you brought up plagiarism, but I had to deny it all the harder because of that. I was running away.
Just don’t bring the cops into this again and we’re cool.

What are you going to do now?
We can’t help the fact that Madarame’s gone and changed. But… we can change his heart. We’ll make him pay for his crimes.
That reminds me, you mentioned something about that “change of heart” earlier…
Have you heard the rumors? The ones about the Phantom Thieves that steal hearts?

…Preposterous! You’re saying…?

Music: High Pressure

We’ll talk later! We need to scram!
*examining self* When did my clothes change?
You just noticed that now?
Save it for after! Let’s go!

Wait, but you three didn’t come in from the same entrance! Will you even be able to leave with us!?
Uhhh… No time like the present to test that out!

Music: Sunset Bridge

And because of that, this PE teacher’s had a change of heart…

This story also brings into relief why the nude modeling was something of a sore subject… Fine. Let us never speak of it again.
Thank god.

The Phantom Thieves who steal hearts… To think they truly exist.

He’s accepting this rather quickly. Nice, that’s less annoying re-explanation to do.

So your plan with Madarame-sensei—with Madarame is to force a change of heart, correct? Let me join… as a member of the Phantom Thieves.

What!?
Huh!?
I am also shocked, inside the bag!

Had I faced reality sooner, this may have been avoided. I must put an end to this for the sake of the others whose futures as artists were robbed, as well. That… is the most civil thing I can do for the man who was… in some manner, my father.

No objections here. It was already the plan to take down Madarame, and I’m sure we’d all feel a lot better with you along.
Butalsohemighthaveamentalshutdownifwefuckup Okay! Welcome to the team!
Hm?
Already agreed! No take-backs!
Well, it’s not like we have any other recourse here due to Madarame’s connections… Fine.

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

We have a new member in the Phantom Thieves now! I hope we get along, Yusuke!

Anyway, what’s going to happen with the real Madarame? He seemed pretty upset…
Oh, I called him before we arrived. He believes I kept chasing you, but he’s still furious and plans to take legal action against everyone.
Wait, *everyone*? We weren’t even there!
Bogus!

Legal action… He’s acting way too desperate. Maybe he still has more secrets.
If he were to act, it’d be after the exhibit is over. Any scandal during the show would be his loss.

At least the nude modeling talk is over… even if the deadline hasn’t changed…

We’ll have to force a change of heart before then, if we’re to dodge this “legal action” thing. Looks like our plan must be accomplished while the exhibit is still open!
By the way… what is this?

Music: My Homie

Huh? A cat.
But it’s talking.
You have a problem with that!?
No, not really.
Why not?
He’s just on a different wavelength than other people.

…Takamaki-san. You went over with that giant mass of clothes on, correct? Do you need my help retrieving them later?
Well, uh… I actually didn’t think that far ahead…
Furthermore, I’ve been wondering… You took off your school uniform before we left the atelier… so where did you get what you’re wearing now?
……
……
……
……
Shut up.
Well, if you insist.

…Never mind. He’s just weird.

After School → Evening

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain-

(extremely overdramatically) Who, meeeeee?

Don’t forget you’re still under probation, got that? One misstep and you’re finished.
…No good? What’s wrong about changing the hearts of criminals? We’re doing the right thing.

>You’ve clearly never played an Ace Attorney game, Ryuji.
Whatever! I’m just saying, we’re totally boned if Madarame presses charges! We’ll get expelled *and* arrested!
>For me, those are the same thing!
We can’t afford to mess this one up. Let’s change his heart!
>Hey, did no one invite Yusuke to the group chat? Oh, jeez, this is awkward.

(Game Show Host) A: Unconsenting cutting of hair. B: Using noise to cause distress. Which of the two would be considered a case of bodily harm? You be the judge!

(Game Show Host) The correct answer is… B! If you drive someone crazy with noise, that’s bodily harm!
(Lawyer) If it disrupts the body’s functions, it counts as bodily harm, even if there’s no physical contact! Hair grows back, so it doesn’t count as a wound. That’d be a case of “assault,” not bodily harm.
Hey, you got it right. I’m impressed by how much you know about law.
It feels like I’ve improved my Knowledge.

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

The TV quiz show returns! The answers are all identical, though.

Music: Generic “dramatic” music

Fake Gillian Anderson: They’re all dead… How could… Who could have done this!?
Fake David Duchovny: The larvae… It must have infected them! Got into their brains! We need to find those samples, Sculzy! Fast!
It’s a story about an investigator who searches for the truth behind eerie, supernatural incidents…
Whoa, whoa, why would you preserve alien larvae? Curiosity killed the cat, you know!

That’s the plan! *laugh track*

Music: Everyday Days

I bet you’ve summoned a little more Guts by watching this drama.

Maaku gains Guts +2.

Anon: “of hearts”? what tryhards

Early Morning

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

(Caring Young Friend) You still working at that beef bowl place on Central Street? I thought you liked that place ‘cause the pay was good. What happened?
Sure, the pay’s fine, but I’m the only one there at night. That job magazine said it was a “fun, friendly workplace.” *sigh* Maybe I should just quit…
Like he says, work can be pretty trying… But it’s a worthwhile experience. Don’t give up.

What, do they not let that guy only come in whenever the gently caress he feels like it?

Early Morning → Lunchtime

How’d you do?
drat… I’m dead…
Phew! I’m above the average. That’s the real dividing line. My allowance is safe for now…
I wonder what score I got… I finished a little higher than the average score.
Hm… Well, it should set a good example for your friends.

Maaku gains Charm +2.

Lunchtime → After School

Music: Tokyo Daylight

Our fight’s not over until the exhibit ends. Keep your head in the game.

Apparently he’s been hanging out at a monjayaki shop a lot. I heard he gets real drunk there and brags to his coworkers. So… perfect opportunity, right? If we get close, we might get some intel outta him.

But he’ll notice me. So I’m gonna need your help on this one. I’ll let you know when I figure out his schedule. Til then, no training, okay?

Sounds like we won’t be hanging out with Ryuji for a while. I guess you’ll just have to be patient.

Music: Tokyo Emergency

Let’s return The X-Folders and rent Wraith next.

Why should Maaku pay a chiropractor when he can just have Caroline kick his spine into the right shape for free?

Music: Aria of the Soul

Let’s make a Kushi Mitama from Koropokkuru and Berith. This is a Councillor Persona now (it was Strength before) because they added some new Personas and swapped around some of the old ones to fill out the new arcana. This invalidates a lot of the old fusion recipes, unfortunately.

Let’s give him Foul Odor.

I’ll bring some vigor back to your body. Come o, let’s check out the mysterious nature of this world!

Kushi Mitama is one of the Mitamas. In Japanese belief, it’s an aspect of the human soul known as the “wondrous soul,” believed to have mysterious powers to cause transformations and cure illnesses.

Let’s immediately go use that bad boy in some Confidant-in’.

What’s up, doc?

If you’re okay with it, I’d like to get some input from you. Do you have time right now? There’s no pressure, obviously, but…
Maybe a break wouldn’t be so bad… Are you gonna help Maruki with his research?

Ah, great! I just finished a counseling session. Now, meet me in the nurse’s office.

Music: Ideal and the Real

To be honest, it’s been… kind of a relief.

That whole mess with Kamoshida was the reason I was called here, after all… They warned me a lot of students had been impacted. I knew there would be a lot of free-floating anxiety. But when I actually got to talk to everyone, I was pleasantly surprised. Most of the things on everyone’s minds were college entrance exams, relationship problems… In other words, typical worries for high-school students. Some did open up about deeper issues, but not the majority. Some students were still struggling with the scars from the incident, yes… But at the very least, I’m glad the ones who came to me have taken some steps towards recovery.

Either way, I hope my worries end up being groundless after all. I know I’m not the most reliable guy, but remember you can always talk to me too if something’s bothering you. I am the counselor here, you know. If nothing else, I’m good at listening.
*nod*
Having said that, it’s a little awkward that I have to ask for your help, but… You know how I asked you to help me with my research?

I just need you to listen to what I have to say, and work through some questions with me. But let’s see… Maybe I should start at the beginning. I can tell you a little about what this research is for. What I’m studying now is pain felt in the mind. Or perhaps more fancifully, in the heart. Some specific examples include the pain of someone saying hurtful things to you, or being separated from those you love… Maybe this would be clearer—pain defined by abstracts, like trauma or stress. Bodily, physical pain can be thought of as something necessary. An autonomic response to injury, illness, whatever.

That pain isn’t born from any tangible problem in our bodies, right? It’s something strange and immaterial. I guess it goes to show there are still a lot of mysteries in our hearts and minds. And I… well, I want to learn more about these internal, psychological pains. Now, this is my question to you… When do you truly feel pain in your heart, Hamiru-kun?

So that’s not just bodily harm for you? You feel an emotional impact as well? Fascinating.

No, that was… You can ignore that, I was just being a poo poo.

It can be rough. It doesn’t feel good to struggle with pain in your heart.

After all, that kind of pain is only born because we fall in love, right? Do you have any thoughts on this kind of pain, Hamiru-kun?

Rude.

But it’s a wonderful sentiment. A very positive way of looking at it. Internal, emotional pain can be difficult to deal with. Though some say it’s always coupled with other feelings… And I agree, of course. I think that’s a fair assessment. Though personally speaking… I’d think if pain can be avoided, it should be. Maybe it shouldn’t exist at all.

Wounds of the heart are much harder to detect, and in a way, they’re far more complex than physical injuries. That’s why I’m doing this research… To save people who are suffering from internal pain they keep holding onto. You helped me realize that purpose again. Thank you.

I can sense Maruki’s gratitude towards me…

Huh. That seems… broken.

*crosses arms*

I’ll teach you tricks for mental discipline, and you help me with my research! Just like we decided, right?

Thanks to Maruki’s mental training, my mind feels stronger…

Oh, and here. Never a bad time for a snack, right?

O-Okay, NOW we’re ready to wrap things up…

I’m taking a breather. Just finished my last counseling session for the day. And I thought I’d thank you once again for your help earlier.

A lot of students came by to talk today. Hopefully they got something out of it.

*nod*

I’m just going to have to accept defeat here and stop making jokes about Maaku nodding while on the phone. The game has broken me on this.

Thanks again for agreeing to help me out. I might be looking to you for help more frequently from now on. It’d mean a lot if you could lend a hand. All right, see you later.

After School → Evening

Music: Beneath the Mask

You’ll go with me to help investigate undercover, right!?

Yeah, sure.

Chariot Rank 7: Part 37

I’m gonna hide in the bathroom until they leave. Just leave the phone on so I can hear their conversation.

Music: Suspicion

I’m celebrating! Now that Kamoshida’s gone, I finally get my chance. Kamoshida has disgraced the volleyball team. They’re done. But I have a plan to restore Shujin’s glory using the track team. I’ll pretend to be their advisor after hiring someone to do all the… what’s the word?
“Work”?
Yeah, thassit. Anyway, I’ll just get someone to do all of that. After those students suffered due to Kamoshida, it’ll be the perfect sob story to attract national headlines! Bonuses, books, motivational speeches… I’ll have it made!
Amazing, Yamauchi! You’re a genius! But what about all the troublemakers on the team right now? Isn’t that Nakaoka kid especially bad?
Oh, you mean the kid who asked them to bring back the pre-Kamoshida coach? Already taken care of. I told this unexceptional kid on the team named Takeishi that he could be the captain if he got rid of Nakaoka. Even told him Nakaoka was the one spilling their secrets to Kamoshida! Takeishi already chased Nakaoka away… Heh. And to top it all off, Takeishi’s mother is the president of the PTA.
What a great pawn for this master plan of yours!
Of course, he doesn’t have what it takes to be captain. We might have to emulate the little “accident” that occurred with Kamoshida and the old coach’s star runner, Sakamoto… Until then, he can be a model of obedience for the others.
Incredible!
Are these fuckers seriously discussing in public a conspiracy to commit bodily harm against a minor?

Dammit! If we don’t do something quick, Yamauchi’s gonna get rid of Takeishi too… Goddammit!

I’d normally say we change his heart, but I don’t like the track team enough for us to bother. Let’s just tell them about this and wash our hands of it.
Yeah, it’s their business, not ours. We have to let them decide what to do.
Not really what I was saying but okay.

You know, track ain’t a team sport. At least, sprintin’ wasn’t. You’ve got teammates, sure… but you’re really just lookin’ out for your own time. That’s why I never thought about askin’ people for help or tryin’ to solve our problems together. But… I can’t ignore the stuff they’re goin’ through now. I mean, even though we had our own goals n’ poo poo… We were still runnin’ together. They suffered with me, gritted their teeth with me… Honestly, I think it was only ‘cause of them I was able to run at all. So I can’t just go and turn my back on ‘em now, right? I know that ain’t the coolest thing to say, but it’s how I feel.

I think you’re cool, Ryuji.
Thanks! I feel like half the time I just have no idea what you’re thinkin’ and then you say some utterly bizarre poo poo, so that means a lot!

Ooh, Insta-kill! This ability has been revamped heavily. Whereas before you got nothing but a Persona for an Insta-kill, now you get money and experience, as well as the Persona. It’s really great.

Man, I’m hungry now.

So far, all I’ve seen of this place is the goddamn toilet!

…Scratch that.

Thanks for hangin’ with me, man.

For that event, we chose options: 2 (+3), 1 (+3)

But goddamn it… Yamauchi! That dick! Just thinkin’ about him pisses me off! At this rate, the track team’s screwed. Yamauchi’s just gonna take advantage of them!

Besides… I doubt those guys are gonna listen to anything I say…

Anyhow, at least we know the truth about him. We just gotta figure out our next move.

In any case, thanks again for your help today! You seriously saved me! Bye!

Arist fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 12, 2023

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

So what does Scoundrel Eyes do?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I was saving it for when we headed back into the Palace, but I'll mention it now: It's Goemon's Trait, which gives an additional small chance for the party to avoid physical attacks.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Arist posted:

Huh. That seems… broken.

Councilor_confidante.txt

It's "balanced" by a low proc rate, but the ability to delete a random encounter is indeed quite broken, and so is a lot of Maruki's kit.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

quote:

Ryuji is a good boy and deserves good things.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Munchin' on Monja

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Omobono posted:

Councilor_confidante.txt

It's "balanced" by a low proc rate, but the ability to delete a random encounter is indeed quite broken, and so is a lot of Maruki's kit.
Let me guess: there are accessories/items from vanilla P5 that have not be adjusted to account for Maruki's Confidant bonuses, so you can make really crazy builds to horribly abuse those skills, right?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

PMush Perfect posted:

Ryuji is a good boy and deserves good things.

:emptyquote:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

AradoBalanga posted:

Let me guess: there are accessories/items from vanilla P5 that have not be adjusted to account for Maruki's Confidant bonuses, so you can make really crazy builds to horribly abuse those skills, right?

I don't think so? If there are abusive combos, I never found them.

No, Maruki simply give strong bonuses. We've seen Detox and Flow for now.
Detox gives Joker resistance to his only real weakness, CC. It's not guaranteed, but any safety net on the load bearing character is welcome.
Flow triggering means a massive alpha strike in the ambush phase. Depending on the encounter and current SP pools, Joker can simply throw a ma- spell or an Hassou Tobi and be done with it.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

We have a new member in the Phantom Thieves now! I hope we get along, Yusuke!
Yes, let's say we are the Phantom Thieves in public!

Arist posted:

Are these fuckers seriously discussing in public a conspiracy to commit bodily harm against a minor?

This world is filled with people who will discuss their secret plans in public.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Flair posted:

This world is filled with people who will discuss their secret plans in public.

That's why Shido and Akechi never got caught. They only engaged in gratuitous exposition behind closed doors.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Arist posted:

Ooh, Insta-kill! This ability has been revamped heavily. Whereas before you got nothing but a Persona for an Insta-kill, now you get money and experience, as well as the Persona. It’s really great.

You forgot the best part, this one only activates if you dash into an enemy who's aura is green (the level below blue) rather than always activating if you ambush. Also if you already have the Persona you'd get from using it it gives that Persona a chunk of EXP.

S.D. posted:

So what does Scoundrel Eyes do?

Boosts evasion to physical attacks for the whole party.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sorry guys, no update this week. I lost some of my footage in a mysterious accident I will not elaborate upon. I might just have to skip forward a bit, I hope you understa—

Chapter 35: 5/21-5/23: The Convict’s Diary

(Greetings museum visitors! The contents of this journal were discovered years ago at a dig site in New Toledo, which was formerly a city called “Tokyo.” It is one of the only surviving primary sources from the no longer extant country of “Japan.” This source covers an unnamed year in the second decade of the 21st century, determined to likely be 2016. The journal is too large to print here in entirety and has yet to be deciphered in full, but we have translated a two-day period for your benefit here.)

I was given this diary presumably so that my activities could be tracked, but no one has ever checked it, and at this point I doubt anyone ever will—so I might as well be forthcoming. There’s a certain therapeutic quality to jotting every detail of my day down, I have to admit, even if the journal itself is just a stark reminder of the cage around my soul. I’m glad no one will ever read this, because I am internally cringing at that metaphor.

I woke up that Saturday morning and instantly fell into a full-body sigh. Today should be a welcome reprieve, but instead I get to be grist in the societal mill. Don’t most high schools in Japan not have classes on Saturdays anymore?

Of course, it’s not that I had anywhere to be that day. I’d just like the opportunity to sleep in like I normally do on my days off. Maybe if I didn’t waste so much of my Sundays sleeping I could actually use them to get more than one thing done during daylight hours, but that’s a price I have always been willing to pay.

The train ride is overstuffed as usual, but I managed to swipe a seat a kindly old grandma had her eye on. Better luck next time, Nana. As I sat down, the cat yelped something at me about how I should use this time to read a book or something. I’ve told the beast a thousand times that I cannot read, but it never listens.

(Archaeologists were largely confused by this journal’s statement that the author is unable to read, considering they appear fully able to *write*. However, a segment towards the beginning of the diary contains notes from the author trying to practice writing this phrase: あなたをファック、猫, which appears to be in a completely different language than the rest of the diary, translated from a language called “Polish.” It is unclear how the author learned this separate language or why they do not know their country’s native language.)

(Our team is also unsure what to make of the many, repeated instances of invective hurled at “the cat” in this diary. “Shut up, cat.” “I want the cat to die.” “The cat smells and so do I.” Unfortunately, we cannot be sure that the original author was mentally sound, given their obsession with this cat and their insistence that it talks to them.)

I picked a book with an interesting cover design and glared with intent at the strange symbols covering the page, commanding them to start forming recognizable shapes. I know my shapes real good. □. Bam. That’s a square, motherfucker.

I think the book was about Buchiko, that dog that waited endlessly for its master at Shibuya Station, because the cat mentioned it… repeatedly. As I stared at the hieroglyphs, I could feel my spirit getting kinder through osmosis.

The cat continued to mock me. I hate it.

As I approached the school, I overheard two girls talking on the way. This happens every few days or so. I am an accomplished eavesdropper.

(Uneasy Girl) But, isn’t the environment kind of a problem? Have you heard the rumors about that transfer student…?

These rumors have made my life a living hell, and there these cretins were, idly discussing them. Ugh.

Oh, him. Yeah, he used to be all anyone ever talked about. But you remember Mr. Kamoshida’s big apology? The transfer student’s kinda old news now. My recent test scores haven’t been so hot… If I don’t shape up, my allowance could be in danger.

Such petty concerns.

In class, the math teacher was chattering away about some nonsense as per usual.

The golden ratio used in the Mona Lisa and the Parthenon is a famous example. But a different ratio has been used in Japanese art and architecture since ancient times. I’m sure you’ve all heard of the silver ratio.

She is incorrect. I have proudly never heard of the silver ratio.

Now then, Hamiru-san. Take a look at this.

gently caress.

She wanted the answer to three decimal places. I said the first few numbers that fell into my brain.

That’s correct.

Miraculously, the numbers were correct. I thanked whatever god or random telepathic passerby gave me the answer.

One theory says it’s because Asians have rounder faces than Westerners, so they prefer a similar shape. This ratio was used in things like ukiyo-e paintings and the pagodas at Horyuji Temple. One you should all be familiar with is B4-size paper. Those proportions are the silver ratio.

I learned something today, and I could feel the knowledge seeping into my brain. Not much knowledge, though. I’d say it ranks as a 1 on a 3-point scale, completely arbitrarily.

Oh yeah, I hear that mascots that are seen as cute have faces that are close to this ratio. In other words, if you use this ratio, you can make cute things.
It is true that mascots tend to have round-ish faces… Huh? Why’re you looking at me like that?

The rest of the day passes without incident. Most days it feels like only a couple of things really *happen* at all, you know. I can’t even remember what I had for lunch. Did I even eat lunch? It’s all a haze.

The cat asked me what I planned to do today. He was intimating I should take care of the urgent business looming over our heads. Instead, I engage in some more of my favorite pastime: eavesdropping on random people.

(The prominence this diary places on eavesdropping is rather fascinating. It seems that the author devoted a few days a month almost entirely to going around and listening in on others’ conversations. We know the author has a criminal background from earlier excerpts in this journal, so perhaps they were trying to find weaknesses to exploit? Or to go even further, perhaps life in the 21st century placed a large emphasis on cutthroat deception and subterfuge.)

(Bothered Student) Have you been getting that junk mail too? I’m sure it’s all just a scam.

Shalalaaa, your smile… Shalalaaa, during the rice season… No, no, that’s no good! Ah can’t let m’country side show any! I need to write a soul-shaking rock song… I need the gods of rock to speak through me!

The wannabe rock star confuses and upsets me. I pity him.

Down in the underground mall, I ran into the world’s least subtle narc, Makoto. Narcoto? Makopto. Makocop. Anyway, she’s even more blatant than usual because she’s busy haranguing some poor Shujin girl.

Huh? Are you… Niijima-san? The student council president? Can’t I at least go shopping? I mean, you’re here too. It can’t be that dangerous, right?
I-I have business here. I had no other choice… (to self) *sigh* I can’t believe I followed him all the way outside of school. Why am I doing this…?

Yeah, yeah, I’ll go home. After all, I don’t want you tattling on me, Miss President.

I decided to see if Ann needs anything today. She had been wanting to “strengthen her heart” after talking with Shiho, whatever the hell that means, and wanted my help to do it. I hadn’t actually done any of this helping yet, and I felt kind of bad about it.

And so, we headed to the park to “train.”

When we arrived at the park, Ann claimed that she came up with a way to do the aforementioned heart-strengthening. Basically, she wanted me to say mean or bizarre things to her and try not to react. This made no sense and I told her as much, but she’s kind of an idiot, so she ignored me. I played along for a few rounds, but eventually she too realized this was a dumb, bad idea.

We then stood there awkwardly until she got an email from her modeling agency with information about the next shoot. Someone’s also been contacting the models and telling them the wrong information apparently, causing a lot of headaches. I feel like it would be pretty easy to figure out who did that, but what do I know, right? Anyway, she also told me her parents are fashion designers she doesn’t see all that often because they’re busy flying around the world. She likes the connection modeling gives to her parents, but she doesn’t think she’ll commit to it full-time, especially because of everything with Kamoshida and the rumors that got spread about her. She said she’d rather focus her time as a member of #Millennials at the moment.

After that, she just brought up some villain from some anime she watched when she was younger that inspired her. She was cool, and sexy, and knew her own justice, or something? She kinda lost me there, to be honest, and I might have blacked out for a bit from all the modeling talk. I don’t remember how I got home.

I do remember getting another call from Ann right before I entered Leblanc, though.

After we met up, I tried doing some runway walks on the way home. Like how a cool, sexy woman would walk.

I said nothing, but I knew what she was describing was absolutely deranged.

Then some girl who was watching me nearby started to copy me and runway-walked with me.

If that happened to me I would literally—LITERALLY—die of embarrassment.

I tried to stay polite, even so.

To be honest, I feel kinda bad for her. She has no idea that the real me is a human disaster.

She might have *some* idea.

I made a decision that I’m going to get stronger, so I need to overcome any obstacles!

The cat tells me like twice a week to go see Mr. Airsoft Yakuza Man even though he knows I’m too chickenshit.

I got some of the good plant food from a sale on the TV, so I gave that to my… fern? I think it’s a fern. I love you, Charley. You’re the only one who understands me.

Buuuddy!
(Reserved College Student) You sound like that artist Madarame. He was just on “Good Morning Japan” the other day.
I got that poo poo on lock! Totally gonna KILL with that icebreaker, buuuddy!

Then, I headed back outside for some more eavesdropping.

(Elderly Office Worker) Excellent. I’m sure a bonus will be in order. Please invest the surplus revenue.
What about a painting by Madarame? I hear they’re appreciating in value.
One must be careful with art. The company would suffer a loss if we purchased a fake.

Yeah, best not to purchase anything from Madarame. We’re about to expose him, after all.

(The use of the word “expose” here is telling. The author clearly has a lot of repressed psycho-sexual urges, and is likely some manner of depraved pervert.)

I guess the editor-in-chief has been nagging me about covering the Phantom Thieves though…

(Adorable Woman) But it’s been my dream to live here! Drop it already!
So ye’re just gonna throw it all away? Yer heritage? Yer home?
I’m not “throwing away” anything. I said I’d come back home once a year to visit. Isn’t that enough.

I wonder if I’m inadvertently infantilizing this woman by referring to her as “adorable” in my head.

(We have no idea how to unpack that one, folks.)

I wonder how many people suffered behind the scenes ‘cause of him. Well, not like I care either way.

Er, what I mean is, the food’s real good—I’m not calling you a dope or anything!
(Cat) *confused meow*
drat, I gotta get better at Japanese…

(Sullen Office Worker) Yeah, they might not give it to us. It’s not our fault that the company’s in the red.
It doesn’t matter what we do in this recession. What we really need is political change.

Vote Yoshida! I don’t actually know what any of his positions are yet, but I’m sure some of them are good!

It doesn’t matter to me who’s in charge in the government. I don’t expect things to get better

I hear Madarame-sensei’s gotten quite popular. Do you like his work?

Heh, well aren’t you the critic.

It stinks!

I used to be an artist myself. Dreamt of having my own exhibition. I was the apprentice to someone well known within the art circles. But that was a long time ago.

Okay! And now it’sh time for the pop quiz ques… question! What’sh the painting… that made me, who is Madarame, so famoush?

There’s usually a drunk guy stumbling around outside Leblanc at night. I decided to gently caress around with him for a bit.

Ding ding! Ding ding! Tha’s riiight! Ya win a prize to… a round trip t’ Yongen!

I’ll go pack my bags!

Ooh! It’s soundsh almost the sane! Th-The same! So close, but yer wrooong.

Bzzzt! The ansher is… “Sayori.” I mean, “Sasori.” I mean, “Shashori.” “Sasori.” “Ska,” “skayor”… “scorpion”? Ow ow ouch! Scorpions! Ruuun, th-they’re ev’rywhere!

Drunk people are funny.

(Of course, alcohol and all other forms of vice are strictly prohibited today. The author’s decadent society was doomed to fall.)

TRIAL BY BURGER

(The next several pages are just repetition of the words “TRIAL BY BURGER” underlined numerous times. It is unclear what this means. Perhaps a mating ritual of some kind?)

Don’t get too hasty… Just work at your own pace and you’ll do it!

Y-You did it!

More burgers!? Oh god… But I can feel my courage rising a bit from the challenge… as well as my knowledge, dexterity, and personal charm for some reason… Yes, they’re all rising by one point!

(To be honest, this part is complete nonsense and the translators went back-and-forth on whether to include it or not.)

On the way back home, I listened to the aimless ramblings of the city…

I don’t wanna go to school… This sucks…
I’m so tired every day…
I don’t want to go to work…
Are there any breaks coming up?

The instant I woke up on my day off, the cat was yelling at me to watch the shopping channel.

Yes, true art expresses the heart, which has much to say. “A picture is worth a hundred words,” right?

Ah! True, but geniuses can take a hundred words… and make them feel like a thousand.

I hate this idiot, but he’s like Sojiro’s one regular so I can’t be *too* blatant with my insults.

Speaking of which, there is a new exhibit by Madarame, that master of the Japanese arts. You should go. I expect that you’d learn a thing or two about what qualifies as true art.

Here’s what we’ve got for you today! Here we go! First up is the Muscle Plus Set! Great for a pick-me-up before heading to work! 2 Stronger Lift S, 2 Harder Core S, and… 2 Accu-Speed S! All in one set! But that’s not all! We’ve got even more to show you! Here’s the Outdoors Kit! Master the elements of Fire, Ice, and Electricity to become a camping master! 3 Blowtorch, 3 Dry Ice, and… 3 Magneto Coil, all together in one set! How great is that!?

I decide to go for the Muscle Plus Set because I want to get huge.

And on the subject of health, I also bought some more disgusting aojiru to drink to increase my kindness. I guess going through the turmoil of drinking it makes me nicer to others. Whatever, one point.

(Veteran Pick-Up Artist) You need to understand your crowd first, idiot. Just dumb it down for now. Everyone knows whatever’s been on TV. You could talk about the Madarame exhibit. Some witty worldplay, maybe an impersonation could work too. Just get their attention first, okay?

Next, I made my way over to the pick-up artists to laugh at their misfortune. I’m pretty sure one of them is straight-up scamming the other, so that’s fun.

(Remember, there is nothing funny about premarital sex, which untethers your soul from our Lord!)

You can raise your Charm by learning how to handle customers. Do you want to work this part-time job?

Oh, are you the one who applied for the part-time job? I’ll call the manager, please wait a moment.

I decide to actually go to the job I got hired for a month ago and never showed up to as a lark. It was pretty funny watching them slowly realize who I was, but they were so desperate for help they accepted me anyway.

We’ll be asking you to work the cash register. Please watch your coworkers to learn the ropes.

All right, I expect you to do your best.

poo poo! I fell into his devious rhetorical trap!

Oh, right… You’ll get paid more for days you work especially hard. Well, good luck.

Oh, I’m Nanami Shibuya. I guess I’m your senpai? So, did watching me give you an idea of what to do?

Don’t worry about it! That’s how everyone is when they first start. Let me give you one pointer. Remember where the bar codes are. That alone will save you a ton of time. Hmmm, how about I test you while we’re on the subject? You know “Cow’s Milk,” Triple Seven’s brand’s milk? Can you tell me where the bar code is?

I do not know, so I guess. Also, is it just me or is “Cow’s Milk” an incredibly suspicious name for a milk brand?

Yes! That’s right! It is indeed next to the company logo. Not bad at all for a newbie! Haha, sorry, I didn’t mean to act like a big-shot senpai. But it’s little bits of knowledge like this that help you keep your cool when it counts. Sorry to keep you! I know you’re tired. Have a good rest of your day!

Well, good work today. You learned how to be more considerate of others through dealing with customers.

I can feel my charm going up. By two this time!

You’re almost done, right? Let’s get your pay and go home.

After that, I went home, but I got a text that had me leaving immediately.

After all, my good buddy Tora wanted to hang!

(This “Tora” figure, also known as “Yoshida,” is interesting. Our criminal author seems to have had a politician in his pocket, one he used to corrupt the inner workings of society, no doubt.)

There are less physically abusive teachers nowadays, but the truth of it all is still a mystery.

Then let’s get to it. Can you please hold the placard?

Tora did his usual schtick, yelling about the mistreatment of the young and all that. I don’t remember much of the speech because I was too busy holding the sign, but I liked what I heard.

Afterwards, Tora gave me some pointers and asked why I wanted to become a politician, which… I don’t. I’m not sure where he got that idea. I dodged the question by telling him I wanted to “change the world,” but then he asked me what kind of politician I wanted to be, so I just lied and said one with “conviction.” Then he said some obvious stuff about having a central philosophy as a politician and knowing what you want to accomplish, and told me his own: “Never give up until your voice is heard.” Sounds nice. He got really into explaining it to me. It made me feel nice, and I learned some stuff too.

And then the whole night was ruined when some heckler showed up and Tora had a complete crisis of faith at hearing his “nickname.” Oh well. Two more points of charm for me.

I’m sorry you had to see me acting like such a coward. Right after I gave you that self-important lecture, too…

I hope today’s incident was at least a good example of what not to do, but… What do you think? Did you take anything useful from it?

I hope our talks from now on will keep giving you the direction you need. Well, I hope to see you again soon. Goodbye.

The morning of the 23rd, Yusuke approached me, asking if I wanted to enter the Palace today. (No idea what this means) I actually already planned on doing so, so I agreed. We decided to meet up at the hideout after school.

Artists with that good of an eye are rare in Japan. I wonder if he has synesthesia. Yes, regarding synesthesia… One of many English terms that come from Greek root words. Haven’t heard of it? It’s a condition where your senses can cross over each other, like seeing music as color. There are all kinds of varieties, though some sense combinations are more common than others. We call people who experience this phenomenon “synesthetes.” Mr. Hamiru. You were staring off into space, weren’t you? Well your number’s up. The root words of synesthesia are “syn” and “aisthesis.” What do they mean?

Goddammit, again!?

She wants to know what the root words mean…? It’s all Greek to me, but I can give it a try… Here, let’s think about this. It’ll be easier if we put our heads together. Okay, so… Let’s start with “syn.” I think that’s in a lot of other words, too. Like… synergy, and synchronicity, and synthesis. If we think about what those words have in common, then maybe “syn” means…

That’s it! “Syn” means “together,” or a combination of something. And “aisthesis,” huh? That’s a little like the word aesthetics. I wonder if it means…

She gave me a *lot* of time to puzzle that one out.

Yeah! That’s it. Sounds lie we know the definitions of the root words. So that means the full word basically means…

Yeah, that’s it! Phew… We really gotta stay on our toes in this class. I could use a snack after all that brain power… Let’s get a treat after this!
Good! You’ve been studying! Unfortunately, synesthesia’s something you have to be born with… You can’t learn it. Some of the geniuses over the course of history have had synesthesia. The composer Franz Liszt instructed his orchestra to play the color purple. The poet Arthur Rimbaud was also said to see colors in letters.

I feel myself getting one point smarter.

Seeing colors in sounds and letters, and feeling shapes in flavors and numbers… Geniuses and common people see the world differently. Were you able to understand that?
Synesthesia, huh… That’s fascinating. Although, the reason Madarame sees the world different is because of his distorted desires.

Are any places selling anything special for the spring season? Something yummy will cheer me up.
(Foodie Girl) Do you know a place called Super Muramasa? It’s a supermarket they have over in Yongen-Jaya. Their Spring Fruit Pack would probably do just the trick.
Fruits, huh…? Enjoying some fruit does sound nice and relaxing…

I headed over to meet the others.

We still hadn’t filled in Yusuke on all the details of how Palaces work, so we did that. He asked the rather pertinent question of “do we have Palaces?” (unclear what this means), but Morgana said no, we can’t because of our Personas. (What?) Basically, we’ve accepted our Shadows and gained mastery over our emotions and desires, so no Palace can form in the Metaverse. (?????)

Yusuke also mentioned we still have until Madarame’s exhibition ends before the deadline is up, which is convenient, I guess.

From there, we headed in.

(Unfortunately, from this point onward the journal becomes indecipherable nonsense. We may publish further excerpts in the future. Thank you, everyone, and remember to get chipped!)

—nd. When we resume, we’ll be heading into Madarame’s Palace for the second time. The stuff we missed was just some stat raising activities, Ann’s Rank 3 event (from Part 33 of the original LP) and Tora’s Rank 2 (Part 34). Again, sorry about the break in the coverage, I promise this won’t happen again.

Arist fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 6, 2021

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Arist posted:

I woke up that Saturday morning and instantly fell into a full-body sigh. Today should be a welcome reprieve, but instead I get to be grist in the societal mill. Don’t most high schools in Japan not have classes on Saturdays anymore?

FWIW, I happened to see the noon dismissal at a Osaka high school on a Saturday during my last international vacation. I looked it up later and it turns out the school just has study hall on Saturday, no lessons. Also, if any of the students were Phantom Thieves, I didn't notice.

Welp, that's my story. AMA for more boring vacation anecdotes!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Goddamn, I thought the Sorrowscope about Maaku being 'a sultry sack of pure antipathy' was a joke.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Arist, are/were you an English major or something? The writing is pristine.

Arist posted:

There's a yes and no about it. The short answer is that some do and some don't, and if they do, it may be a different kind of school day than what a typical student attends Monday-Friday. Nonetheless, many students attend cram school anyway, so whatever free time they have goes out the window. (This is all information I got second-hand pre-pandemic, and I assume that the writers/designers — the ones in charge at least — for Persona 3-5 are older individuals who had mandatory Saturday schools.)

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

obligatory

https://twitter.com/bubblebrow/status/1259155385254060033?s=19

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 36: 5/23: Priority Number One

(Okay moron, you forgot that it was the one-year anniversary of the LP starting and felt compelled to put something out to commemorate it, especially because your update schedule has been noticeably more anemic than it used to be… but the new FFXIV patch also dropped today, so you need to get this poo poo done as fast as possible. Don’t worry, those rubes won’t notice as long as you make sure to replace this text)

(Gotta figure out a good riff on this scene where Fox gets his codename. Probably something with how they don’t even attempt to localize the “Abura-age” joke Skull makes?)

(This is just the bit of dialogue where Mona tells the team that we can only have four party members at a time because otherwise it wouldn’t be fair to the enemies I guess)

(Here’s Goemon’s Trait, Scoundrel Eyes. Not as useful as the other party members’ Traits we have so far)

(These shots are just to establish movement through the Palace, not super necessary because most of it’s exactly the same as the original but it can help the flow of the update and prevent the reader from getting… disoriented? Not really the word I’m looking for, but you get it)

(Probably go back and capture a shot of the beginning of this battle, jumping straight to the Hold Up dialogue is kind of messy)

(This bit is here to show off the negotiation upgrade we just got from Tora’s Rank 2. Explain the best way to make money using this: knock down Shadow, preferably a strong one like this Shiki-Ouji, ask for money, ask for more money up to twice (because it will only give you money three times at most), then All-Out Attack to get all the negotiation money plus the experience and money you would normally get from defeating it. Very good way of getting money while we’re still desperate for it)

(Big painting room with all the lasers, not much to write about here)

(Make another JoJoke? You already compared his pose to JoJo’s a few updates ago, but maybe Photoshop the “menacing” onomatopoeia all over it, like you did in that joke for the first LP you ended up not actually using?) (Maybe don’t, though, the reason you cut that joke was because it didn’t really scan and wasn’t that funny in the first place)

(This scene is now voiced for some reason and this dude is played by Jalen K. Cassell, who also voices Kaneshiro. Maybe make a joke about that? I don’t know what possible joke you could derive from there, but that’s a problem for Future Me)

(Checked old LP, this fight used to be a Shiki-Ouji, but is now a Kurama Tengu with two Koppa Tengus. The Kurama Tengu can summon more Koppa Tengus and blocks Wind. loving wiki is not updated with its movelist though, so not a lot of info there. Saw the Koppa Tengus use Tarukaja on the big guy, who would spend its turn “gathering the power of wind,” which means it probably uses a big Wind attack after. It didn’t get the chance to in my footage though. The Koppas could also inflict Rage)

(When I was taking screenshots I think I had a mildly funny idea for a conversation about skill cards to put here? Maybe it was just an idea of an idea? Anyway, I do not remember what it was, figure something out)

(Dumbass, you took the screenshot on the wrong dialogue here. Just mention that we have 4 Lockpicks right now, it’s not worth going back for the shot where Mona says it)

(SORD)

(skipping past this scene where they need the password)

(skipping past this scene where they find out about the password being Madarame’s feet pics or whatever)

(this battle shows off a couple things you’ll need to explain)

(this enemy is weak to Bless and is also a Disaster Shadow, so you decided to see what happens if you use an instant-kill move on a Disaster Shadow)

(first attempt missed)

(Disaster Shadow countered, as they do)

(Joker gets inflicted with fear)

(But Detox procs thanks to Maruki! Instant cure!)

(So, try Hama again)

(In a result I should have seen coming, no explosion when it dies because technically it took 0 damage. Oops)

(Go back to the statue to learn the password. Make funny joke that it’s 1120, the same as Madarame’s age)

(Input password)

(poo poo, you forgot to mention the locked chest blocked by a gate earlier, so now it’s gonna come out of nowhere when you mention going back for it now that the gates are down. You should probably get a shot of it before this)

(Bead chain good, full party heal)

(Every Frame A Paintin—no, stop, that’s not even anything. They discover they can go into the painting when Fox touches it, which he should really by all rights know better than to do)

(Can you think of any funny pop culture references where people go into paintings? poo poo. Uhhh. gently caress. Deal with it later)

(Outta the paintings and through a vent to the next area)

(Here we get an award, which I believe we have not seen before in the LP. Just gives currency for buying stuff in the Thieves’ Den)

(Find a safe room here, but this is where the footage kind of goes off the rails, remember? You end up spending like… fifteen minutes going back through the Palace because you half-remembered some bullshit from the original LP or something that you need a Shiisaa for the next Strength fusion because you know it learns Frei and you currently need an Ame-no-Uzume with Frei, and Shiisaa are really annoying to get because they’re only weak to Psi, which you don’t have a source of, and Curse, so you spend a while trying to knock them down with your bullets before you remember that you can’t negotiate with a Shocked enemy before you realize Onmoraki knows Eiha and can easily knock them down, ugh) (Holy run-on sentence, Batman! You should probably clean that up) (Is “Holy (x), Batman” even how that meme/joke format works?)

(Anyway, then you go back to the Velvet Room and realize that Shiisaa does not fuse into Ame-no-Uzume and you just wasted your time because you misremembered the original second request from the vanilla game, which was for a Shiisaa with Frei (which was not a Persona obtainable from the Palace) Maybe don’t even bring this up? It’s a little embarrassing)

(But while you were here you decided to do a fusion with Inugami and Shiisaa to make Makami)

(No ranks in Temperance means no level up means no ability to show what skills we gave Makami, so just mention we gave it Pulinpa and Giant Slice)

(Back in the Palace now, we go to the big painting room)

(Are you really considering summarizing all the painting movement again? It’s all the same as in the original if anyone cares, don’t bother. The only interesting thing that can happen is exactly the same as it was in the original: running into the sea monster on the boat and getting kicked out and ambushed by Shadows)

(Anyway, that’s the painting room. It’s fine enough, just made a little tedious by the fact that I died immediately after finishing it and had to do it again.)

(Ame-no-Uzume has been added to the Palace but she’s now several levels lower than she was originally. Also, she is the Shadow that killed you with Magaru and Mazio spam to hit weaknesses, maybe bring that up?)

(Panther learning Dekaja)

(Oh, right. This annoyance. Make sure you bring up that you can hear the sound cues that come from proximity to a Will Seed room, leading the player to search their immediate surroundings for it, but it’s not here)

(Okay, to be honest, I’m not actually sure why I got this shot. It has nothing to do with anything as far as I can tell. It’s not related to the Will Seed. I’m sure I had a good reason for taking it, I just cannot remember what it is. I’m probably gonna cut this shot because of that but… man, that’s gonna eat at me all day now!)

(To find the Will Seed, we go further in)

(Gotta jump down to a lower level)

[Panther Sad] We have to do something with these shutters to go in.

(Unfortunately, the door is blocked off)

(This is the time to bring up how incredibly annoying it was to open the shutters on a first playthrough. Finding the grappling spot isn’t a huge deal because when you get into grapple range your hand glows)

(But when you get up to the next level, you have to notice another of these really inconspicuous devices on the wall and it sucks, I always ignore them)

(But eh, as long as you don’t give up and leave the area you’ll probably find that eventually)

(Okay, now we’re in the MC Escher mindfuck area, making good time, might get this draft done before lunch)

[Panther Sad] So, like, which way are we supposed to go? I didn’t see any other ways forward, did you?

[Fox] I see. So it was camoflaged. We may have been trapped here for eternity had you not noticed that.
[Morgana Happy] Ooh! Nice work, Skull! You did it!
[Skull Shocked] Uh, sure… You know I just got lucky, right?

(This bit with the peeling wall is new, you can see the walls with Third Eye like every other “puzzle” in this drat game)

(Now the painting matching. This was once tricky on the very first playthrough because I have a poor memory and hadn’t intimately memorized the Sayuri, but it’s trivial now. Also, even in the final area with like twelve fake paintings they never mix-and-match the details of the fakes. Like, there’s never one that’s both blue and missing the branch, or blue and with the hair behind her shoulder, it’s only ever got one mistake at once, so it’s not even that interesting)

(In the next area, a peeling wall)

(With a treasure chest behind it)

(The final area has another fake wall)

(Because Madarame cheats, the real Sayuri in the final area is hidden all by itself behind a fake wall. What a little poo poo.)

(Out of that area and into the hall with the Treasure, finally)

(Now we go to the control room)

(Spoiler alert: we cannot. But at least the lights can get shut off for five seconds)

(Beat these clowns and head over to the now-open shutter)

(Reminder to craft more Lockpicks, maybe even before we head into Mementos next)

(Gotta grapple up to a higher level here)

(Safe room up here)

(Grapple across)

[Here, we enter the room with the hook controls)

(But this entire time we’ve been hearing the sound cues for the last Will Seed door, which means we must have passed it somewhere, so we turn around)

(It turns out we missed something back by the safe room. I believe I passed this over by accident on my original run of this game as well, oops)

[Morgana Angry] I can feel a Seed past this door… It might be a pain to get our hands on it, though.

(As before, the final Will Seed is guarded)

[Security Guard Shadow] Know what? It doesn’t even matter—now that you’ve seen this place, you won’t be leaving alive!

(Not much of a challenging fight here despite itself. This thing uses Mapsio, Flash Bomb (to inflict Dizzy), and Brain Jack (to inflict Brainwash, which allows it to Technical with Mapsio). It also Nulls Physical and Resists Gun. However, it’s weak to both Wind and Nuke, so can I knock it down with 3/4 of the party because Panther has that Garu ring. That plus a lucky Shock off of Skull’s Zio means it doesn’t even get to act very much)

(An accessory that nullifies weaknesses is pretty good, but still not generally as useful as a bonus skill to me, so we won’t be making much use of this unfortunately)

(Back to the hook room)

(And from there, it’s just the party coming up with the frankly absurd plan to strap Mona to the hook to grab the Treasure. Is that all I wanna cover for now? I think it might be, I end up doing a bunch of fusion right after this, and that’s gonna be really tedious to cover along with the Strength rank up before we leave. I’ll get it next time I guess. But that’s enough for now! I can hear the Tower at Paradigm’s Breach calling me!)

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 12, 2023

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Quality update as usual, Arist! :cheersbird:

Arist posted:

(Holy run-on sentence, Batman! You should probably clean that up) (Is “Holy (x), Batman” even how that meme/joke format works?)

It is, last I checked.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I know drilposting is over, but what about Tumblrposting?

https://twitter.com/queuerious/status/1381939389652160524?s=20

VVV dril will never truly be over, as long as he lives on in our hearts VVV

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 13, 2021

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pththya-lyi posted:

drilposting is over,

https://twitter.com/dril/status/922321981

e: oh you meant in this thread, not just in general

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
The :effort:posting gave me a good laugh. However, it wasn't as big of a laugh as the diary entry, which read like a loving homage to Schildkrote's playthrough of Persona 3.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I've just learned of some exciting research that may help us to properly classify Dr. Maruki:

Maruki is a himbim

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 37: 5/23-5/24: Ryuji Needs Therapy (New)

This update contains content from Part 38 of the original LP.

Music: A Woman

On the way out of the Palace…

Music: Aria of the Soul

Our master admires the progress of your rehabilitation, and hence has given you use of a special ritual.

Any further questions regarding this ritual can be directed toward our master himself.
He’s apparently gonna consider making even more rituals if your rehabilitation goes as planned. Work hard for it, Inmate!

You’ll lose the Persona, but you’ll get things like useful weapons and accessories! We’ll record the transmutation result of each Persona in the Inmate Registry. You’d better be grateful! Each time you make a sacrifice, you need to use a a special material with the potential for transmutation. You probably have no idea what it is, so take this one and get clued in. You better show your gratitude for it! You should be able to find them in your own reality, too—not just the other one. Do your best to find them!

Itemizing Personas works the same way it did in the original. You need a base component and a Persona to sacrifice, with each Persona giving a different reward.

A cool new addition in Royal, however, is the ability to go into the Inmate Registry and check Itemization results for each Persona we’ve gathered. Very handy.

We’ll also be doing a good bit of fusing while we’re here. First up, Eligor from Archangel and Koppa Tengu.

We gave Eligor Giant Slice and Rakukaja.

Next, Suzaku from Agathion and Kushi Mitama.

Nekomata from Ame-no-Uzume and Onmoraki.

Matador from Obariyon and Jack Frost.

Still wary about this motherfucker. No challenging me to any duels, all right?

Finally, Ame-no-Uzume from Suzaku and Berith, making sure to carry over Suzaku’s Frei for the Strength request.

Oh hey, you brought the Persona we wanted.

Strength Rank 2: Part 37

The task was too easy if this slacker could pull it off, Justine!
Hmm… Yes, I concur. No reward for you yet. Do another. Dance, monkey.
Yeah! Yeah! Give him another one!

I feel like my bond with Caroline and Justine is growing deeper…

Well, that’s enough for now.

You were just standing there for about fifteen minutes. It’s honestly a little disconcerting.

After School → Evening

Nah man, I could go run a 5k right now, I don’t give a *gently caress*.

Just gotta decide when to send it!
We should tell Yusuke.
>Yeah, uh… why is he not in this group text, exactly?
Whatever, I’ll tell him when we want to meet up.

I always love this idiot self-satisfied fistpump after a successful coffeemake

Maaku gains Charm +1.

This must be Guatemalan SHB…

Even if someone looks like trouble, I’ll serve them the same cup of coffee I serve everyone else. That’s my job. I have pride in what I do.

You have the potential, so keep training.

Awww :3:

Anon: ya rite lol

Early Morning

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain (Instrumental Version)

One day the cat’s going to realize it’s completely impossible to read half a book in a single train ride and then we’re all hosed.

Maaku gains Kindness +3.

Early Morning → Morning

Music: So Boring

First, I have an announcement about an upcoming school event.

Bogus!

The cleanup will take place next week, on the 30th. All students are to wear their gym uniforms during the event, so don’t forget to dress the part.

I guess it’s the principal’s idea. Damage control after Kamoshida scandaled up the school’s rep.

Not a ver—

Pretty sure “scandal”’s not a verb.

Oh.

All the girls in our class have been freaking out over this new guy, too. I’ve been hearing Maruki’s “hot,” “kind,” “sensitive”… Basically, everyone thinks he’s their type.
Whoa. I guess he’s pretty popular, then. Oh yeah, did you guys go to counseling yet?

Whoa, really?
You should just go already.

JOIN US.

If your slacking draws attention to us, we’re the ones who’ll have to pay for it.
Fiiine…

Morning → After School

Music: Ideal and the Real

Well… it’s not like I wanted to or nothin’.
Ahaha, sorry you were forced into this. But anyway—come in, come in!

*looks around awkwardly*

Oh? Why’s that?

I mean, I don’t really go see teachers unless they wanna chew me out for doin’ somethin’ wrong…
Oh, I’m not a teacher here. If anything, well… I’m here to be on the students’ side.

That just makes you sound like a cop!

Oh, yeah…?

Oh, no, no—this isn’t some klnd of interrogation.

(For the sake of disclosure, I was going to insert a bit here where Maaku would say “Rude” using his interrogation portrait and it would have been very funny, but I decided against it because he is not actually here for this conversation and so it wouldn’t make any sense. So instead I decided to bring it up in this awful meta way that derails this entire scene!)

Liiike… what?
Hmm, how about… Is there anyone in your class that you like?

That’s not exactly easy to talk about either—and it’s not like there IS anybody…

Oh no, my torrid Ryuji/Maaku fanfic is being delegitimized!

Uh—Oh, sorry! I just meant, you’re in the middle of your teenage years and all, right? High schoolers are just discovering romance and all, so…
That how it went for you?
…Not… exactly. But, um, that’s just because I fell in love with my studies first! Heheh…

I’m sorry… I’m supposed to be hearing you out, but instead I’m just bringing down the room.

Uhhh, hang out with my buds, mostly—though I just started doin’ that recently. Before that, I was just pissed all the time, and even before that… I was only all about the track team.
Ah…

…Oh, so you know about that, too. Well, yeah, pretty much—so long as I don’t strain it or nothin’.
I see…

Guess so… I mean, after all that trainin’ I did, it makes sense I’d like it… I’d be training constantly, getting sweet times at meets along with everyone else… Eventually I was gonna get my hands on some running scholarships to make it easier on my mom…

It’s cool, though. I got way more important poo poo to do now.
More important, huh?

SHUT UP, RYUJI

Well, no matter what path you might have to take to get there… I hope your track dreams will still do you some good in the end.
Heh, thanks…

Oh no, this is actually a genuine phenomenon, with a lot of research going into it even now.

I dunno man, this sounds pretty sketchy.

Look at it this way, Sakamoto-kun—what do you want most out of life, right now?
Uhhh… I want somethin’ to drink, I guess.

Sweet simple Ryuji.

I lucked into a coupon for a free can of apple juice at the convenience store this morning! And now, I’d like for you to have it.

See? Your wish came true!

THE LEGEND IS TRUE, CAST OUT ALL HERETICS

Hey, Dr. Maru—ah, I mean, Doc. Anyone ever tell you you’re kinda… not normal?

Uhhhh, no?

I’m pretty sure this is just a straight-up translation error here. They’re not cleaning for thirty days, game. They’re cleaning on the 30th.

(Sakoda) Should we go to that sushi place Hippo loves? Don’t want him eating other piggies.
(Chubby Male Student) Oh… But…
(Brown-Haired Male Student) Take a hint, you fat rear end in a top hat. You don’t want to piss me off!

One of these days I’ll get to that Mementos request.

Music: Tokyo Emergency

Let’s go make the plans.

Just checking one last time—you’re sure about this, Yusuke?
I’ve thought about this long and hard, and I cannot allow Madarame to continue. He must be brought to justice.
Cool, now we won’t feel guilty for doing it behind your ba—uh, never mind.
So, we have to send a “calling card,” right? To change his cognition? That reminds me… what is this world formed from cognitions? Why does it even exist?
No idea.
This is getting crazy to think about, man!

He’ll know the crime written on it is real, don’t worry.
Are you writing this one again, Ryuji? That seems… inadvisable.
Why don’t we have Yusuke do it? He’s good at art and stuff!
He would figure it out. He knows the way I write and draw intimately.
Then… I’ll draft it, and you touch it up!
Very well.
That doesn’t seem like it actually solved the core issue, guys!

After School → Evening

Looks the same to me.
Maybe it’s just for the group and doesn’t show up in here… Well, you should take a look later. It’s that Phantom Thieves logo I had Yusuke draw for us.

What a weird scene this is! They could have just put the icon in this window, but they had to address why it’s not here!

>Again, why are we excluding Yusuke from the groupchat? I’d understand if we were at least being catty bitches and making fun of him in here, but we’re not! We’re too lame for that!
Anyway, the calling card’s looking good. This is the first real job for the Phantom Thieves. Let’s make it a good one.

Maaku gains Kindness +1.

Arist fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 24, 2021

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Arist posted:

Ryuji Needs Therapy

Psychosomatic!

Arist posted:

Ryuji Needs Therapy

Purely psychosomatic!

Lie down on the couch!

What does that mean?

You're a nut! (You're a nut!) You're crazy in the coconut!

What does that mean?

Arist posted:

Ryuji Needs Therapy

I'm gonna kill you!

Arist posted:

Ryuji Needs Therapy

Play the kazoo, let's have a tune! On the count of three!

Arist posted:

Ryu-, Ryu-, Ryu-, Ryu-, Ryuji -ji Needs Therapy

He was white as a sheet!

And he also made false teeth.

WOAAAAAH-OOOOOOH! WOAAAAAH-OOOOOOH!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
I like you. I like this thread :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

...how did you know about the parts you weren't there for?