Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeah I noticed you use a really nice looking porous gravelly looking medium (pumice?)

They're all in Bonsai Jack's gritty mix which ain't cheap but it is good. The black stuff some of them are top dressed with is just a layer of straight pumice.

If you do a little leg work you can make a gritty mix on the cheap that will work just as well. At least back in the day you used to be able to get calcined clay at auto parts stores because they sold it for cleaning up spilled oil, and the non-porous rock component can just be rinsed pea gravel from Home Depot or Lowes or w/e. The pine bark fines can be a little harder to find but around here a lot of larger pet stores have it for reptiles.

When I started out with succulents I tried growing them in Miracle Grow cut with extra perlite but it gets so humid in the summer here that rot was a constant threat. I started using a moisture meter and recording the measurements for each pot twice a week to see how long they were retaining water and found that even for smaller pots a single watering was enough to keep things wet for four or five weeks, which is longer than I was/am comfortable with having a lot of succulents moist for. That would be less extreme in terra cotta rather than ceramic, I'm sure.

One of my window sills has a couple of copper trays with little 3 inch black pots in it that I use for rooting out cuttings and getting dinky plantlets big enough to hang out in plain old gritty mix. Those I still use Miracle Grow with some extra drainage for.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Is it just here or has everyone suddenly learned about crown raising and gone way overboard? I swear they weren't doing this a few years ago. Every tree in town is uglier now.

Other than people pruning because a tree is next to a street or a fence or something I've never seen this done. What's the point of it?

Wallet fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Wallet posted:

They're all in Bonsai Jack's gritty mix which ain't cheap but it is good. The black stuff some of them are top dressed with is just a layer of straight pumice.

If you do a little leg work you can make a gritty mix on the cheap that will work just as well. At least back in the day you used to be able to get calcined clay at auto parts stores because they sold it for cleaning up spilled oil, and the non-porous rock component can just be rinsed pea gravel from Home Depot or Lowes or w/e. The pine bark fines can be a little harder to find but around here a lot of larger pet stores have it for reptiles.

When I started out with succulents I tried growing them in Miracle Grow cut with extra perlite but it gets so humid in the summer here that rot was a constant threat. I started using a moisture meter and recording the measurements for each pot twice a week to see how long they were retaining water and found that even for smaller pots a single watering was enough to keep things wet for four or five weeks, which is longer than I was/am comfortable with having a lot of succulents moist for.

One of my window sills has a couple of copper trays with little 3 inch black pots in it that I use for rooting out cuttings and getting dinky plantlets big enough to hang out in plain old gritty mix. Those I still use Miracle Grow with some extra drainage for.

Other than people pruning because a tree is next to a street or a fence or something I've never seen this done. What's the point of it?

Oh word. I still have a bag of NAPA Oil-Dri (diatomaceous earth, works like clay but supposedly doesn’t turn to mush if it’s well sifted, at the expense of really needing to be sifted before use) that another goon recommended for me to make bonsai mix with. I’ve had mezze-mezze results with the DIY mix but I should keep plugging away at it. I’ve got lots of oil dri to use up.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Hello,

I was directed here from another thread hoping there is a florist or some familiar with roses I could ask a question of?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Extra row of tits posted:

Hello,

I was directed here from another thread hoping there is a florist or some familiar with roses I could ask a question of?

Probably lots of people! Ask away.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
I brought my partner a single rose (pastel green) and the quality appears to be very bad to my untrained eye, before I go complaining I thought I’d ask people that know better than me.

The rose has a sticky brown fluid pooling in the centre that is not appealing and the petals don’t seem to be near the quality of other roses I have purchased in the past. Considering the size of the flower it seems to be quite a lot of fluid and I do not recall seeing this ever before.

I can post a photo if someone would kindly tell me how too.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I brought my partner a single rose (pastel green) and the quality appears to be very bad to my untrained eye, before I go complaining I thought I’d ask people that know better than me.

The rose has a sticky brown fluid pooling in the centre that is not appealing and the petals don’t seem to be near the quality of other roses I have purchased in the past. Considering the size of the flower it seems to be quite a lot of fluid and I do not recall seeing this ever before.

Sticky brown fluid in the center doesn't seem good or normal. You can post a picture by uploading to somewhere like imgur and then copy/pasting the link to the image into the post.

E: this may help explain some BBcode things: https://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=bbcode

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 2, 2021

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
I have taken some photos and put them in an imgur account. Hopefully when I post this you can see them.

https://honecarter.imgur.com/all/?third_party=1

https://imgur.com/WFSFVSL

Extra row of tits fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 2, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

If you’re using the iOS or Android app you can just insert a photo in your post by right (long) pressing and the app will do the uploading for you

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Hi everyone! I should have posted this about a year ago, but now is better than never.

I want to add some house plants to my house. I am as novice as one can possibly be when it comes to this stuff, so I know absolutely nothing. I'll start with one specific plant I'd like to add, and we'll see where this takes me.

There's a corner of my office that could really use some green. It's next to windows, so if I open the blinds it will get sunlight all day, and direct sunlight half the day. Temperature will vary between mid-60s and mid-90s. I'd like it to be self-supporting, require very little maintenance, hopefully hardy, and generally clean. Somewhere between three and six feet tall would be best, and I'm hoping for something that's mostly already grown rather than starting from scratch. What type of plant do you recommend I get, and where should I get it from? Thanks all.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Hi everyone! I should have posted this about a year ago, but now is better than never.

I want to add some house plants to my house. I am as novice as one can possibly be when it comes to this stuff, so I know absolutely nothing. I'll start with one specific plant I'd like to add, and we'll see where this takes me.

There's a corner of my office that could really use some green. It's next to windows, so if I open the blinds it will get sunlight all day, and direct sunlight half the day. Temperature will vary between mid-60s and mid-90s. I'd like it to be self-supporting, require very little maintenance, hopefully hardy, and generally clean. Somewhere between three and six feet tall would be best, and I'm hoping for something that's mostly already grown rather than starting from scratch. What type of plant do you recommend I get, and where should I get it from? Thanks all.

Big ol snake plant or a cactus.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
I have tried again! I think you should be able to see the one now.

https://imgur.com/WFSFVSL
https://imgur.com/RBKYQMg
https://imgur.com/Yu1J1fl
https://imgur.com/51vRXwZ

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

subpar anachronism posted:

Big ol snake plant or a cactus.

Or a schefflera (there are cool variegated ones too) or ficus (don’t get a fiddle leaf, they’re sensitive and one will probably drop its leaves in the spot you describe

Or a euphorbia- look at Ammak, Lactea, Trigona, and Ingens. Maybe also tirucalli, but be careful if you have kids or pets that might try to break or eat the foliage, as the sap is caustic.

Or maybe a Monstera deliciosa.

Is it wet and gooey? That looks like bacterial rot, I’d toss that sucker if so :(

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 2, 2021

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Ok Comboomer posted:

Or a schefflera (there are cool variegated ones too) or ficus (don’t get a fiddle leaf, they’re sensitive and one will probably drop its leaves in the spot you describe

Or a euphorbia- look at Ammak, Lactea, Trigona, and Ingens. Maybe also tirucalli, but be careful if you have kids or pets that might try to break or eat the foliage, as the sap is caustic.

Or maybe a Monstera deliciosa.

Is it wet and gooey? That looks like bacterial rot, I’d toss that sucker if so :(

It feels like water and has a very.. plantish.. smell.

It may not be clear but the leaves are brown along the edges which doesn’t seem right to me at all for a $50 special order.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

It feels like water and has a very.. plantish.. smell.

It may not be clear but the leaves are brown along the edges which doesn’t seem right to me at all for a $50 special order.

If that’s how it arrived I would be sending pictures to the seller and asking about a refund

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Yeah that’s not how a rose is supposed to look (or smell!) and I’d ask for a refund or somethin

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
I will ask for a refund, thank you all for the advice and help.

Much appreciated.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Or a euphorbia- look at Ammak, Lactea, Trigona, and Ingens.

Speaking of ingens, I got a trio of cuttings from one someone had rooted some time last year. It's just been sitting there doing absolutely nothing—I have assumed that it has been rooting out but I haven't wanted to disturb it.

Last night after dinner I was taking a look at some plants and I was shocked to find that it's finally actually doing something:

I checked my spreadsheet: it took 13 months to show any signs of growth. There's some kind of lesson in there about the degree to which nurseries sell succulents under rooted.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

What type of plant do you recommend I get, and where should I get it from? Thanks all.

Hey OP- I’m gonna add Zamioculcas (ZZ Plant) to the list. I was just in Home Depot and they’ve got some nice massive ones (like 3 feet+) there. I assume all the other nurseries do too.

Wallet posted:

Speaking of ingens, I got a trio of cuttings from one someone had rooted some time last year. It's just been sitting there doing absolutely nothing—I have assumed that it has been rooting out but I haven't wanted to disturb it.

Last night after dinner I was taking a look at some plants and I was shocked to find that it's finally actually doing something:

I checked my spreadsheet: it took 13 months to show any signs of growth. There's some kind of lesson in there about the degree to which nurseries sell succulents under rooted.

You’re definitely not wrong, but also Euphorbias are 100% the sort of plant to just start growing leaves and stem for a year with like zero root proliferation in my experience. Like you’ll see a shoot grow six inches, go to repot it, and the roots are as scraggly and threadbare as they were when it went in. A lot of their native environment features the poorest, rockiest, hottest soil imaginable, so I assume it just isn’t a biological priority for them.

Also it can be a seasonality and dormancy thing, particularly if you mess with the plant’s sense of photoperiod (moving it to a much darker area, for example). I’ve moved euphorbias into shadier spots and seen them stop growing for several months and then start again.

The most important thing you can give a euphorbia is lots of light. All of the light. Imagine the noonday sun in South Africa, that kind of light. This year I’m planning to move most of my collection outside as soon as the nighttime temps stop dropping below 50.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

You’re definitely not wrong, but also Euphorbias are 100% the sort of plant to just start growing leaves and stem for a year with like zero root proliferation in my experience. Like you’ll see a shoot grow six inches, go to repot it, and the roots are as scraggly and threadbare as they were when it went in. A lot of their native environment features the poorest, rockiest, hottest soil imaginable, so I assume it just isn’t a biological priority for them.

It hasn't been moved since about a month after I got it but I'm sure spring (plus a new application of fertilizer) had something to do with it finally deciding to grow. It's in a south facing window with two GE BR30s and a BR38 pointing down on it from the top of the window. I haven't bit the bullet on a PAR meter (someone make an affordable PAR meter, please) but based on an old light meter for photography I have around it's getting approximately a lot of light.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Snake plants and ZZ Plants? I can work with that. Is it considered a bad idea to buy from HD/Lowe's?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Snake plants and ZZ Plants? I can work with that. Is it considered a bad idea to buy from HD/Lowe's?

Nope, only in so much as the quality might be worse, in some cases even for the money, and maybe you don’t want to support those types of companies.

If you happen to be in MA and have a Mahoney’s in your area, or a similar type of real-deal plant store, you can often get much better variety and quality on lots of plants for the same price, but Home Depot will usually get them on something really interesting and weird at a low low price (usually like a succulent).

I will say that Home Depot seems to have leaned into the pandemic plant boom and really stepped up their buys and offerings this year, and the scuttlebutt I’ve heard is that they’re banking on people coming out to buy interesting poo poo they’ve been seeing online. There’s a comparative fuckton of “bonsai”, for instance, vs literally ever before.

But 99% of the local plant stores I see in my area seem to be trying to become Terrain and it loving sucks and their quality, value for money, and pricing have gone all crazy.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

https://joeblowe.podbean.com/e/two-hours-with-peter-raven/

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Nope, only in so much as the quality might be worse, in some cases even for the money, and maybe you don’t want to support those types of companies.
The people they get succulents from seem to do a pretty good job (and they occasionally send relatively unusual plants that Home Depot still sells at the same price as everything else) but anything that has been on their shelves for more than a week or two is very likely to be rotting, at least at the stores around here, because they water them way too much.

For bulletproof plants like ZZ or Dracaena Home Depot is probably as good a place to get them as anywhere else (and likely less expensive). Last time I was there mine had some decent looking ponytail palm (Beaucarnea recurvata) which are similarly hard to kill.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I will say that Home Depot seems to have leaned into the pandemic plant boom and really stepped up their buys and offerings this year, and the scuttlebutt I’ve heard is that they’re banking on people coming out to buy interesting poo poo they’ve been seeing online. There’s a comparative fuckton of “bonsai”, for instance, vs literally ever before.

Mine seems to be stocking what they did before but they have been reorganizing their indoor plant area so maybe there's a change coming. There's a lot of variation between stores and I assume between regions in what they buy in. There's 4 or 5 of them within 25 minutes of me and the stores in more expensive areas have almost entirely different plants from the ones in poorer areas as do the rural locations.

Ok Comboomer posted:

But 99% of the local plant stores I see in my area seem to be trying to become Terrain and it loving sucks and their quality, value for money, and pricing have gone all crazy.

Do people actually buy plants from these places? All of their plants are like 4-6x the cost of buying the same thing anywhere else. I've only ever bought metal plant trays from them (reasonably priced, surprisingly).

Wallet fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 2, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wallet posted:

The people they get succulents from seem to do a pretty good job (and they occasionally send relatively unusual plants that Home Depot still sells at the same price as everything else) but anything that has been on their shelves for more than a week or two is very likely to be rotting, at least at the stores around here, because they water them way too much.

The trick to Home Depot is to get in on the day of the week their trucks arrive. Ideally you’re there the night the succulents go out to the floor and you get the pick of the crop.

But yeah, once they’ve been there for like a week the best stuff is usually gone and they’ve often already started to be overwatered to perdition.

And I’ve also noticed great variability with what they get and where it’s sent.

Clockwise: ZZ regular, looking explosive after repotting, ZZ Raven still looking like it’s in recovery after repotting+major rotten tuber surgery (I might still lose those shoots, ah well), Euphorbia “briar patch” (tirucalli x stenoclada hyb.), E Ingens, E. loricata. All variously and commonly found at Home Depot (the trick is to get healthy plants and then take care of them, and you too can be rank with mean plants for cheap)

A lot of the time Home Depot gets something and it becomes a relatively common sight, but a lot of the time they get a weird one-off diamond for like sixteen bucks, and you just have to go with your gut and grab it, because 1) it’s the last time you’ll ever see it there/for that cheap 2) some raggedy rear end ones will be all that’s left for like weeks and months taunting you until they finally die

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 2, 2021

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Is that some kind of cultivar or something? I've never seen a mature one with spines that pronounced.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 2, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wallet posted:

Is that some kind of cultivar or something? I've never seen a mature one with spines more than one or two cm long.

It’s a cultivar called “chocolate drop”, doesn’t seem particularly hard to get

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

4 or 5 years ago I planted a bunch of red buckeye seeds I’d collected in the edges of the woods around my mom’s place and then forgot about them. This year they’re flowering and it’s reminded me why I love gardening. Spend 5 minutes doing a thing, ignore for 5 years, enjoy for the next 20+ years :unsmith:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That's great. I love buckeyes. I planted one in a pot a few years ago and it's done really well.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Red buckeyes are fine but mine at home drops it’s leaves august 1st at latest and has grown incredibly slowly. My bottlebrush buckeye OTOH has grown really fast and makes way more flowers and blooms later in summer (late may/ June) when all the spring flowers are done and it stands out a bit more. It’s 3? years old and already has some little volunteers under it I need to pot up and move.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Old but drat at $50 on a single rose @__@

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Red buckeyes are fine but mine at home drops it’s leaves august 1st at latest and has grown incredibly slowly. My bottlebrush buckeye OTOH has grown really fast and makes way more flowers and blooms later in summer (late may/ June) when all the spring flowers are done and it stands out a bit more. It’s 3? years old and already has some little volunteers under it I need to pot up and move.

Mine is popping out right now along with the painted buckeye, rather slow growing but has still put on some significant height since last season. I feel like bottlebrushes are just overall a more vigorous plant

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Oil of Paris posted:

Old but drat at $50 on a single rose @__@

I don’t know how Terrain manages to charge rich wine moms like $250 for $9 in plants and $10 in arranging but they’ve built a whole business on it

Fancy plant stores are an amazing grift

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I'm conflicted. On one hand, the photos of euphorbias and cacti I see in here look really cool. On the other hand, I think I might be done with plants that can cause me pain if I touch them the wrong way. I'm fairly clumsy, and the rest of my family tends to be less careful and gentle in their moment to moment movements (to be expected in kids). I don't think I'll get another rubber plant either. Sap burns suck.

ETA, who wants this heavily spiked aloe? just come take it. I don't have the heart to harvest it.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Ok Comboomer posted:

I don’t know how Terrain manages to charge rich wine moms like $250 for $9 in plants and $10 in arranging but they’ve built a whole business on it

Fancy plant stores are an amazing grift

just found what I think is the cultivar, Rosa chinensis 'Viridiflora' , and you can get the actual plant for a cool 6 bucks lol

Edit: eh I don’t think that’s the cultivar but probably a parent, that’s what I get for scrolling too quickly on phone search. rose hybrids are too complicated for me hah

Oil of Paris fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 3, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

B33rChiller posted:

I'm conflicted. On one hand, the photos of euphorbias and cacti I see in here look really cool. On the other hand, I think I might be done with plants that can cause me pain if I touch them the wrong way. I'm fairly clumsy, and the rest of my family tends to be less careful and gentle in their moment to moment movements (to be expected in kids). I don't think I'll get another rubber plant either. Sap burns suck.

1) gloves are cheap

2) how often are you touching your plants?

3) most commonly available euphorbias (lacteas and trigonas these days, it looks like) aren’t particularly mean unless you grab them directly on their spines, and they aren’t nearly as spiny as something like a cactus. In fact, I find them some of my easier succulents to manipulate and move because they’ve got big empty fleshy sections.

I’ve also been seeing a lot of Briar Patch, which despite the name has zero spines at all and the occasional loricata (that production run from, I believe, Costa seems to have wound down from a high back in December) which is also spineless.

The fear about the latex is founded, but also overblown. For one, it’s much harder to get them to bleed unless you actively cut, break, tear, or smash the plant—you’ve got to really try to hurt it and draw blood. It’s not at all like a rubber plant where breaking a relatively thin stem or knocking off a leaf causes latex to gush forth.

And really the biggest risk is then rubbing it in your eye. But if you can get stuff like soap or cooking oil on your hand without rubbing it in your eye then euphorbia latex shouldn’t be a huge problem.

A lot of the big complaints come from euphorbias as landscape plants. They get huge and drop branches, kids pick up the interesting spiky plant pieces and carry them around, kids see firesticks and break off some stems to play with or hit each other with, the plant bleeds all over their hand, and then they rub their hands on their face. In a pot, kept small, they’re really quite harmless.

4. Have you considered a crested euphorbia (also usually called crested cactus)? You’ve probably seen a bunch of these. They were all over hardware stores in the summer. I used to hate them because they were grafted and common and trendy, but they’re actually super neat and they stay really small on account of being grafted crests. They’re almost always spineless, or have underdeveloped spines.

5. if you still decide that mean plants are wrong for you there’s plenty of big succulents that aren’t mean at all—like Crassula and spekboom/portulacaria! I’ve recently gotten into some variegated spekboom that look rad as gently caress.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

You make a lot of good points, and I was mostly just idly musing in the early morning. Sorry if I'm riling yah up, instigating an effort post.

I had not considered spineless / crested euphorbias. That might be something to keep an eye out for.
Honestly, I and my daughter probably accidentally touch the plants far too often.

Landscape plants around here need to be able to handle dropping (not too far) below freezing for fairly extended periods, and a handful of days of snow cover. That kind of limits the succulent selections. Oh, and I live in a rain forest, so moisture may be an issue for many varieties.

I do have a couple varieties of jades, and some of the xmas cacti are blooming again right now!

ETA wow, spekboom looks rad.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 3, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

B33rChiller posted:

You make a lot of good points, and I was mostly just idly musing in the early morning. Sorry if I'm riling yah up, instigating an effort post.

oh no worries, this is just me being stoned and bored before lunch while I slowwwwly try to roll out this stiff neck that I’ve had all morning and listen to podcasts about rap beefs

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Ahhhhshit the freeze last night hosed up some of the new growth on the osmanthus fragrans... this world is so corrupt

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I dragged so many plants inside because of that stupid freeze. Ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I dragged so many plants inside because of that stupid freeze. Ridiculous

I spent an hour this morning checking everything out because I was worried I was going to find a bunch of burned plants and dead buds but everything seems.. fine?