Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I feel like this is one of those things where Webex/MS Teams have this weird concept of "team meetings" where it will instantly summon every participant into an A/V meeting and I have never ever been in a situation where I would want to use it nor accept such a call. (It's usually someone who pressed the "Meet Now" button by accident/exploration.)

Not quite the same concept but the lack of IM-ettiquite reminds me of http://nohello.org/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My new company apparently loves the as they call it "team's summon button" so there is a powerful corporate use case for it.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Your co-worker, while possibly useless, has a far healthier and realistic attitude towards work. Thank god I have a boss who knows that unless poo poo is literally on fire, it may take me longer than 8 minutes to join an impromptu call. And if it was on fire, they’d articulate that instead of “can u join a call.” Because I’m busy, you know, working. Or in another meeting.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

There’s a boomer svp that never checks calendars or makes meetings, and instead just randomly video calls people. Whenever he calls me, almost literally 100% of the time, I’m on another call. And so I’ll get the call pop up, then it’ll end and I’ll get an IM that says “oops didn’t see you were on another call! Never mind!” For a full year. Never had to do anything.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm so glad I don't have to respond to things immediately. If I'm feeling really keen, or it's really close to an non-extendable deadline, I might complete an urgent work request within a few days.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I had a group call this last week where a boomer was loving up and they said they were still "getting used to using Google Meet". It's been a loving year of this poo poo! Plus we had it before the pandemic. gently caress people.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

SirPablo posted:

I had a group call this last week where a boomer was loving up and they said they were still "getting used to using Google Meet". It's been a loving year of this poo poo! Plus we had it before the pandemic. gently caress people.

They will never 'get used' to video/online call rooms. And if they do, introducing even the slightest, most intuitive change will throw them back to square one complaining about how dumb it all is and how we should go back to using conference phone calls.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Outrail posted:

They will never 'get used' to video/online call rooms. And if they do, introducing even the slightest, most intuitive change will throw them back to square one complaining about how dumb it all is and how we should go back to using conference phone calls.

My boss complained privately to us thank god the the vendor we were talking too was rude because all their screens and the presentation were so small he couldn't see. He also has a massive curved monitor with the resolution set so high everything is tiny. He refuses to change this or acknowledge that its a him problem despite none of us having this issue on our dual monitor setups that are smaller than his single screen.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They have lost their neuroplasticity and will die soon.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

goatface posted:

Inshallah

Atticus_1354 posted:

My boss complained privately to us thank god the the vendor we were talking too was rude because all their screens and the presentation were so small he couldn't see. He also has a massive curved monitor with the resolution set so high everything is tiny. He refuses to change this or acknowledge that its a him problem despite none of us having this issue on our dual monitor setups that are smaller than his single screen.

'This car is too small!'
'Sir, this is a Wendy's drive thru.'

Outrail fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 4, 2021

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

Put my two weeks in Friday.

I am so happy.

Quit and be happy with me.

(A haiku)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The new company I joined has tasked me with firing the company I just left.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Spaghett posted:

Put my two weeks in Friday.

I am so happy.

Quit and be happy with me.

(A haiku)

I did mine* on Thursday. And then took the day off. Solid.

*One month notice, but same idea

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

Barudak posted:

In a very Marie Kondo way: "Does it spark joy?"

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Tato posted:

Your co-worker, while possibly useless, has a far healthier and realistic attitude towards work. Thank god I have a boss who knows that unless poo poo is literally on fire, it may take me longer than 8 minutes to join an impromptu call. And if it was on fire, they’d articulate that instead of “can u join a call.” Because I’m busy, you know, working. Or in another meeting.

Fair enough but again, this coworker doesn't do anything all day. They're not busy, or working, or in another meeting, and we all know it, and we're in product support anyways so we're specifically supposed to be either working and doing things on our PCs in our home office during the day waiting for tickets and poo poo to come in. I'm 99% sure our entire department fucks around and watches YouTube when we're not working on emails or phone calls, but we're still -at the PC- and keeping an eye out. Plus, the phone push notification from Slack should be enough should someone not be at work to at least throw out a "I'll be there in 5 minutes or something". Don't get me wrong, I love not working and hope that things stay like this forever but if I was afforded the chance to sit at home all day and screw around and do nothing like she has, I'd be Johnny on the Spot with the Slack channel to at least pretend like I'm paying attention.

In reality she was probably watching TV or taking a nap or something. It's easy to say it seems "healthier" but in our department and in our work-from-home situation it's really something that shouldn't happen every single time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Spaghett posted:

In a very Marie Kondo way: "Does it spark joy?"

So much that its a fire hazard

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Barudak posted:

Absolutely living the dream. God bless ya

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Barudak posted:

"Here, have this delicious bowl of ice-cold revenge. This is the no-calorie / no-karmic burden stuff, and it's yours. Enjoy it quietly along with your movie."

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

I've been thinking about quitting (without a new job lined up) for *months*. Definitely don't want to stick around for the summer months which are simultaneously boring and stressful (because of having to cover unfamilar tasks while others are on vacation).

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Barudak posted:

Sorry if this is too personal a question, but how loving erect are you at the thought?

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Switched our EMS dispatch from county/local to national. So now at the start of the day, every ambulance leaves and starts work in their county location but as the shift progresses we get further and further pulled into other counties and sometimes end up working over 5+ counties and then resources get stretched and we end up having to respond gigantic distances like being the only ambulance responding to a cardiac arrest and being 1+ hour away.

Thanks ProQA and AMPDS

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Outrail posted:

To be fair, it's not just boomer brain.

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/computer-skill-levels/

This is A Thing and it's really hard to handle.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

This is a really good article. :aaa: Thanks for sharing!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Volmarias posted:

There's also a fairly common mentality that technology that existed when you were a kid has just always been there and is 'normal', tech that came out when you were aged in your teens/20s was exciting and new and fun and a gateway to opening up new potential, but once you hit middleage most of the new tech is newfangled and complicated and just plain unnecessary because the old way of doing things was still perfectly fine dadgummit!!

Anyone's who's had to repeatedly explain how to use the new TV remote to their parents will be familiar with this mindset.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Since work from home started my company has roled out three different conference solutions (Skype for Business, GoToMeeting, MS Teams), and our clients use at least three more. No training has been provided on any of them, and we use all of them simultaneously.

I just call people in the phone if I want to talk to them.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

goatface posted:

This may not be the thread for it, but as someone who kinda prides themselves on being able to keep up with change, etc . . . is there a way to, uh, not lose neuroplasticity? And/or attempt to retain it?

Becoming An Old is probably one of my greatest fears :ohdear:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's also a fairly common mentality that technology that existed when you were a kid has just always been there and is 'normal', tech that came out when you were aged in your teens/20s was exciting and new and fun and a gateway to opening up new potential, but once you hit middleage most of the new tech is newfangled and complicated and just plain unnecessary because the old way of doing things was still perfectly fine dadgummit!!

I'm actually starting to feel this way and it's disturbing. Perhaps civilization will last long enough for me to have a lawn to tell kids to get off of?

quote:

Anyone's who's had to repeatedly explain how to use the new TV remote to their parents will be familiar with this mindset.

Or the most complicated, intricate, and enigmatic of tasks: programming the time on the VCR, that it might show something other than a flashing 12:00

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Since work from home started my company has roled out three different conference solutions (Skype for Business, GoToMeeting, MS Teams), and our clients use at least three more. No training has been provided on any of them, and we use all of them simultaneously.

I just call people in the phone if I want to talk to them.

I love this when people refuse their phones and want to use one of the various chat things instead. (Thanks to how my work setup was provided, the mic basically is nonfunctional and these people universally have cheap ones my hearing issues are even worse with. This is in the office.) Thankfully it's rare, the only one who does it regularly is the IT guy who just wants us all to gently caress off and never notify him of anything, including database problems that will shut the entire company down in terms of processing anything until they're resolved or software-breaking issues on the software he's made sure he's the only one with the documentation and access for. Who also refuses to use the same platforms for chat and whatnot as everyone else and doesn't even receive the ticket feed.
Love these folks. Please just use a written method. Email, slack, whatever. Hard copy of everything said, no ambiguity or mishearing. Doesn't require people chained to their phones and stopped from working or anything. It just works.
Ted talk over.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ITT people who remember programming VCRs have the temerity to call anyone old.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Volmarias posted:

Space Kablooey posted:

This is a really good article. :aaa: Thanks for sharing!

Agreed. I was totally all over level 3 but this : “You want to know what percentage of the emails sent by John Smith last month were about sustainability.”

Uh.

I mean, I could schedule the meeting room with date / time / subject, etc.

But wtf. Who wants a percentage of emails sent by a person about a subject.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Volmarias posted:

Or the most complicated, intricate, and enigmatic of tasks: programming the time on the VCR, that it might show something other than a flashing 12:00

I can't even get my housemates to reset the clock on the microwave whenever they screw it up

E: I think I've finally managed to get them to stop unplugging appliances in the kitchen unnecessarily which should bypass that problem. One time one of them couldn't find a spare outlet so she unplugged the fridge and didn't plug it back in afterwards. :doh:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 4, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

blight rhino posted:

Agreed. I was totally all over level 3 but this : “You want to know what percentage of the emails sent by John Smith last month were about sustainability.”

Uh.

I mean, I could schedule the meeting room with date / time / subject, etc.

I can find a way to do that, but I want to know what tools I'm allowed to use before I think too hard about it.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

ultrafilter posted:

I can find a way to do that, but I want to know what tools I'm allowed to use before I think too hard about it.

true, i'm sure I *could* figure it out. That's what google is for.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

I feel like this is a common saying but I’ve never seen anything proving that it’s true. Besides, there is tons of “new tech” out there that is blatantly anti-consumer, a massive security risk or just doesn’t deliver on the hype. What’s the difference between likening wired headphones because they don’t contain irreplaceable batteries and refusing/being unable to learn new things?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

blight rhino posted:

true, i'm sure I *could* figure it out. That's what google is for.

-------

:colbert:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

blight rhino posted:

Maybe John is peddling his sustainability NGO using the work email again and this time around he royally pissed off the boss

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

blight rhino posted:

We're building the case for sacking John

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

It's a funny saying but I'm pretty sure it isn't true.
Anyone who works with kids knows how bad they are at using computers, and as for the "old" guys in the office, it's the year 2021, if you're say 50 then the PC should be right in your wheelhouse.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I think if you came up through Win 98 - Windows 7 as your primary OS, it was easier to be forced to fix or tweak things. In my professional experience, I watched Windows Update repairs go down to basically nil after Windows 10 hit its stride. Most applications just work, same with games.

The issue of "it just works" is that there's never those situations where you're forced to fix what's broken. To clarify, this is about having a better understanding of functionality of an OS or how it interacts, etc.

When it comes to the "how to use Excel" type stuff, it's really weird to me that people who have used a tool for 20+ years of their professional career and can't get started with it. But hey, job security on my end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Holding people's feet to the fire, you can be surprised how much a dyslexic luddite can pick up specialty software skills. No matter age or background because this isn't even unique to computers, the same applies to teaching nimble movements to someone with two left feet or dexterous tasks for people made entirely of thumbs. If its something that needs done, most people can pick it up, albeit slowly or poorly.

Call it willful ignorance or learned ignorance but its pretty normal workplace stuff to have everyone know not even enough to get by while having an auxiliary specialist shore up the rest. In offices you have The Computer Guy but don't forget carpenter teams also have The Joint Guy or industrial maintenance has The Pump Whisperer.