Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

suck my woke dick posted:

Another example of why the legal system is broken unless you can afford the same size legal department as your opponent.

And ironically we'd never have gotten this important decision if Google had bothered to pay Sun.

gdi, post not edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I've heard of this case in recent news and stuff, but there's one thing I'm not quite clear on.

Did Google only reimplement the Java API? Articles I've read seem to imply they also copied framework code as part of the reimplementation process, which would've definitely been a gross violation of copyright that they'd only get away with because they can afford the legal costs.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kyte posted:

I've heard of this case in recent news and stuff, but there's one thing I'm not quite clear on.

Did Google only reimplement the Java API? Articles I've read seem to imply they also copied framework code as part of the reimplementation process, which would've definitely been a gross violation of copyright that they'd only get away with because they can afford the legal costs.

No, they didn't copy any code. It was a cleanroom reimplementation based on the Java framework.

Also, Oracle is a huge (and terrible) company of mostly lawyers, not exactly the type of company that couldn't afford a prolonged legal battle.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Fame Douglas posted:

No, they didn't copy any code. It was a cleanroom reimplementation based on the Java framework.

Also, Oracle is a huge (and terrible) company of mostly lawyers, not exactly the type of company that couldn't afford a prolonged legal battle.

Early on, Oracle claimed Google had copied some actual code, but the article I could find is from 2010.

quote:

Late last month, as part of its ongoing lawsuit over the use of Java in Android, Oracle waved six pages of Android code at a federal court (see below), claiming they were "directly copied" from copyrighted Oracle code. But, on Wednesday, Google responded with a court filing of its own, and among so many other things, Mountain View said that in submitting the code, Oracle "redacted or deleted...both expressive material and copyright headers." Google called these omissions "significant elements and features."

Screencaps of the methods in question are in the article.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

In this Year of Our Cerf 51, Facebook is still interviewing on "culture fit".

Surprise, surprise, all the black candidates mysteriously fail, because guess what you get when white interviewers are looking for people who subconsciously "feel like me". A Black recruiter just quit and told all.

All institutions degenerate into a self perpetuating priesthood in the absence of external constraints.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Arsenic Lupin posted:

In this Year of Our Cerf 51, Facebook is still interviewing on "culture fit".

Surprise, surprise, all the black candidates mysteriously fail, because guess what you get when white interviewers are looking for people who subconsciously "feel like me". A Black recruiter just quit and told all.

Ticket is closed. Process is working as intended.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
In the meeting, a White manager played a Drake song in the background whose chorus repeats the phrase “Where the [n-word]s be at?," five times, according to videos of the incident reviewed by The Washington Post.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Kyte posted:

The description of the facts settled on in the supreme court and appellate court opinions says only declarations copied, no implementations, and only declarations from these packages:

java.awt.font, java.beans, java.io, java.lang, java.lang.annotation, java.lang.ref, java.lang.reflect, java.net, java.nio, java.nio.channels, java.nio.channels.spi, java.nio.charset, java.nio.charset.spi, java.security, java.security.acl, java.security.cert, java.security.interfaces, java.security.spec, java.sql, java.text, java.util, java.util.jar, java.util.logging, java.util.prefs, java.util.regex, java.util.zip, javax.crypto, javax.crypto.interfaces, javax.crypto.spec, javax.net, javax.net.ssl, , javax.security.auth, javax.security.auth.callback, javax.security.auth.login, javax.security.auth.x500, javax.security.cert, javax.sql

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

OctaMurk posted:

In the meeting, a White manager played a Drake song in the background whose chorus repeats the phrase “Where the [n-word]s be at?," five times, according to videos of the incident reviewed by The Washington Post.

You gotta include the context - this isn't just a "trying to make the interns think we're a fun place to work and made some real poor music choices" situation. It was much, much worse than that.

quote:

Eight months later, in August 2020, Lindsey [a Black recruiter] attended a virtual meeting to discuss the company’s goal of hiring more Black engineers. In the meeting, a White manager played a Drake song in the background whose chorus repeats the phrase “Where the [n-word]s be at?," five times,

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Space Gopher posted:

You gotta include the context - this isn't just a "trying to make the interns think we're a fun place to work and made some real poor music choices" situation. It was much, much worse than that.

I thought it was awful as gently caress without any context tbh

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Arsenic Lupin posted:

And ironically we'd never have gotten this important decision if Google had bothered to pay Sun.

gdi, post not edit

Yeah, to pile on to the people above, the original judge actually bothered to learn programming well enough to confirm that the optional conclusion was going to be the most obvious conclusion in most cases, so it isn't reasonable to assume copying.

Sun was, AIUI, actually pretty chill about the whole situation (perhaps to their detriment). The legal issues only started once Oracle bought them.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Except the ruling was that copying that amount of code is fair use (stupid) instead of being an implementation of a common interface (like had been ruled for accounting books for instance)

This is a dumb precedent that might pan out in funny ways.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Ruling is assuming without deciding that an API is copyrightable. Hypothetically supposing that it is, those six justices agree Google's copying is covered under fair use.

The way Breyer's opinion is written, it's pretty clear that he personally doesn't think it's copyrightable at all, but probably they couldn't get a consensus on that and parts got excised. It's one of the legit things Thomas's dissent throws some shade at, calling out the majority for accepting the copyrightability question, but then punting on actually answering it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Billy Gnosis posted:

Except the ruling was that copying that amount of code is fair use (stupid) instead of being an implementation of a common interface (like had been ruled for accounting books for instance)

This is a dumb precedent that might pan out in funny ways.

No.

The ruling says that even assuming the least charitable facts to Google’s case, in which copyright did apply, it would still be fair use.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Platystemon posted:

No.

The ruling says that even assuming the least charitable facts to Google’s case, in which copyright did apply, it would still be fair use.

Isn't that kinda huge for, say, emulators or knockoff consoles or such?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Did someone say disrupt.

https://mouseinfo.com/2021/04/is-the-on-demand-streaming-future-going-to-be-pay-per-viewer-the-folks-at-venue-sure-hope-so/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kyte posted:

Isn't that kinda huge for, say, emulators or knockoff consoles or such?

It clarifies the status quo.

A ruling in Oracle’s favour would have been a monumental upheaval.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Platystemon posted:

It clarifies the status quo.

A ruling in Oracle’s favour would have been a monumental upheaval.

To clarify: even though the ruling was not made on the basis of reimplementing an API, Java having a public API in the first case really does set this in a very different category from Emulators, which have to be built either through reverse-engineering and/or from private SDK headers that were obtained/used in violation of contractual agreements. There's no way an emulator developer could realistically use this ruling as a defense.

However, if Oracle had won, the bar would have been set so low that any case against emulators would be a slam dunk almost from the get-go.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Alright, thanks for clarifying.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

So, I pay $50 for the right to be charged double if a dog sits on my lap or I take a piss during an Ad break? Sign me up!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

This is the DIVX disc of the 2020's.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
More and more why my entertainment consists of stuff like chopping firewood, woodworking, blacksmithing and picking berries in the forest. 10 years ago I mostly played games and watched movies and shows.

Like I said earlier, IT and capitalism is turning me off technology and turning me into a luddite. This modern world has less and less interest for me, I just keep looking backwards for stuff that keeps me motivated enough to keep getting out of bed every day.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

OctaMurk posted:

I thought it was awful as gently caress without any context tbh

Theres nothing inherently wrong with a white guy listening to drake, so yeah id say the context is what makes it bad

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Tnega posted:

So, I pay $50 for the right to be charged double if a dog sits on my lap or I take a piss during an Ad break? Sign me up!

What's actually gonna happen is that my girlfriend is going to get a show paused constantly every time I walk by the couch to go to the kitchen.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'll take "VC piggy banks to golden parachute out of before the rent comes due" for $500, Alex.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

quote:

Without knowing any details so far, the platform promises “the highest level of protection and privacy for members”

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

the highest level of privacy and protection*

*that which is possible to achieve whilst also having a video camera in your god drat living room

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/beesmygod_/status/1379940286927937540?s=21
https://twitter.com/dril/status/841892608788041732?s=21

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
"Empowering gamers" to not learn to talk like someone that respects other members of the human race.

https://twitter.com/Strange_Sunset/status/1379954282703638532?s=20

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
"Hmm, let's see, do I want my n-word filter on or off today? Good thing there's a convenient toggle here so when I'm in the mood to hear the n-word, nothing gets in my way!"

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Doctor Nutt posted:

"Hmm, let's see, do I want my n-word filter on or off today? Good thing there's a convenient toggle here so when I'm in the mood to hear the n-word, nothing gets in my way!"

What if you listening to drake asking where the n-words be at tho

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Reminder that the filter isn't bleeping others, it's bleeping you, the streamer, before you can have an "accidental gamer moment".

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
If you turn N-word filtering on but tell it to allow all racism, does the system just implode in on itself?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Mister Facetious posted:

Reminder that the filter isn't bleeping others, it's bleeping you, the streamer, before you can have an "accidental gamer moment".

Lmao, holy poo poo I did not realize that

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Mister Facetious posted:

Oh my god I just assumed it was the other way around. Jesus christ.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Mister Facetious posted:

Unfortunately this isn’t true, in the presentation they talk about it muting incoming audio.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
No items, max misogyny, fox only, N-word off, final destination.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They should make it autoban any user who even tries to turn on their racism or misogamy filters.

edit: Unless the filter is for incoming audio, in which case autoban anyone who triggers it regardless of settings.

withak fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 8, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

aware of dog posted:

Unfortunately this isn’t true, in the presentation they talk about it muting incoming audio.

my bad, the timestamp I was shown had scrolled past the "mute others" part of the text.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97Qhj299zRM&t=1810s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Gamers can have a little xenophobia as a treat.