Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Decided to pull the trigger on Airwave 3 pants like I mentioned earlier. I'm literally smack dab between M and L sizing though with an unflattering 34-ish measurement according to Revit's measuring guide. Decided to go with the L and cinch it up more when I get around to working those inches off at some point, hopefully that's not a disaster.

Can you do a quick review when you get a few rides in these or even initial impressions? I was trying to decide between these and the tornado 3s since i live in one of the hottest places in the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sure. Should be here in a few days. I think I recall someone in here saying they already had these though, let me see.

right arm posted:

I've got the pants. they are good. I use them for summer riding down here in TN and no complaints. wish the cuff tighteners? were clips instead of velcro, but half my gear is that way and it's just a personal preference :shrug:

I would buy them again!

That's the 30 second review. I'll be happy to answer any specific questions once they arrive though.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Nitrox posted:

I usually wear Large, and my proportions are average enough. What do you have?

This:

https://www.corazzo.net/product/mens-leather-5-0/

in M

I'm bigger than M, though.

On second glance I saw you wanted perforated. I just wear it with the armpit vents open and the zipper halfway down my sternum, but I don't live in Florida.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Nitrox posted:

Is there a summer-friendly leather jacket without graphics and cringy labels? I just want a straight slim fit with maximum zippers and air flow that doesn't look like a cosplay. Preferably under $300.

Vanson makes some nice ones, though expensive.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Are Knox Handroids still the internet favorite gauntlet/track glove?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I really like mine and they've held up great for the past three years. I had to buy one size bigger than I would for A* gloves though (XXL Handroid = XL A*).

right arm can probably chime in though, he's had every variation in every color over the years

*edit*
I remember thinking there wasn't really any break in with them compared to my A*, they were just comfortable right away. Also the boa closure system is cool but the wrist strap is the most important part of keeping them on your hands, at least for me. I can tighten the boa system and pull them off, but if the wrist strap is on they aren't coming off.

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 8, 2021

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
My sister sent me the gear I ordered from NewEnough last year, so new summer gloves and Cortech riding jeans with removable armor. Just gotta get the bike from storage but who knows if Dougie will let me lol

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

MetaJew posted:

Are Knox Handroids still the internet favorite gauntlet/track glove?

no. they Look Like poo poo, OP

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

right arm posted:

no. they Look Like poo poo, OP

You're just saying that because they don't come in orange.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Handroids strike me as a little gimmicky, from the exoskeleton to the boa, not saying anything with regard to their protection or comfort. FWIW at the $300 price point Alpinestars GP Pro R3 are CE level 2, while everyone else only seems to be level 1 (Knox, Held, Dainese, Racer), if that is at all meaningful to you.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

builds character posted:

You're just saying that because they don't come in orange.

lol it took me a solid year to buy mosko soft bags because they didn't offer orange. I then sold them and repurchased them because they then offered orange

I have Problems :D

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
They were worth it when they they were £150 a pair, now that they're closer to £230 maybe not so much.

Personally I'm holding out for the Mk.5 because the current colourway suuuuuucks

Toe Rag posted:

Handroids strike me as a little gimmicky, from the exoskeleton to the boa

Okay so here's my take on boa closures: on every handroid prior to the Mk.4 it definitely was a gimmick, because the wrist cinch was still a simple velcro strap, and it's the wrist strap that really holds the glove tight to your hand.

I haven't had a chance to try a Mk.4 but it's the first full gauntlet to close both the cuff and the wrist with a boa lace; what I do have is a pair of Orsa gloves which use a boa lace at the wrist, same as the handroid pod, and that system I can say is definitely worthwhile, being both comfortable and functional. It's less annoying/fiddly than velcro and still hasn't broken after 5 years of use.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

right arm posted:

lol it took me a solid year to buy mosko soft bags because they didn't offer orange. I then sold them and repurchased them because they then offered orange

I have Problems :D

Hah! I tried to find some in orange but they really don't make them that way. Seems like a lost opportunity.

But those mosko bags do look good in orange.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Renaissance Robot posted:

I haven't had a chance to try a Mk.4 but it's the first full gauntlet to close both the cuff and the wrist with a boa lace; what I do have is a pair of Orsa gloves which use a boa lace at the wrist, same as the handroid pod, and that system I can say is definitely worthwhile, being both comfortable and functional. It's less annoying/fiddly than velcro and still hasn't broken after 5 years of use.

ya boas rule. I have them on my klim outlanders and I love it

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

Handroids strike me as a little gimmicky, from the exoskeleton to the boa, not saying anything with regard to their protection or comfort. FWIW at the $300 price point Alpinestars GP Pro R3 are CE level 2, while everyone else only seems to be level 1 (Knox, Held, Dainese, Racer), if that is at all meaningful to you.

I agree the exoskeleton seems gimmicky, but when I first got them I did the very scientific test of hitting my fingers with a wrench wearing the Handroids and my A* SP-2 and I felt it less in the Handroids. No idea if that would actually mean anything in a crash, probably not. I also usually just buy A* gear for whatever reason so I guess I count as a fan of theirs, but the SP-2 gloves did not hold up as well (busted seams, etc). I was reading reviews on the high end A* gloves too and those also weren't great, but then you have to consider you're probably more likely to leave a bad review because you're irritated and A* probably sells more gloves than Knox so who knows if they're actually any better or worse.

I do like the A* finger bridge that connects your pinky and ring finger, which the Knox gloves don't have. For longer rides though the Handroids are so much more comfortable than my SP-2 that I'd wear them if they made them pink and the exoskeletons were little dongs.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Gonna be honest here, the main reason I rave about Knox is because their summer gloves just happen to perfectly fit my hands, as in every finger is exactly the right length. That's not something you can choose, a brand either fits you that well or it doesn't.

Regardless of other features, there's no substitute for a well-fitting glove. And the most high-end full-featured glove will feel like trash if it doesn't fit right.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Held gloves fit me so good, they've spoiled me for other brands.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there anything else in the same price range as the A* SMX 6 v2 boot that I should be looking at? I want to step up my ankle protection a little more from my Dainese riding sneakers and at about three hundo Canadian these look to be the ticket.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Steakandchips posted:

Held gloves fit me so good, they've spoiled me for other brands.

I have Helds and I had a very weird sensation at a trackday last sunday where either my pinky was locking up or my not-very-long fingernail was catching on a seam at the end of the finger and preventing me from making a fist. It was odd, but I felt like I couldn't easily transition from the throttle to the brake without completely releasing my grip and then closing again.

I don't feel like I have ever noticed this before, so maybe it's just the last year of pandemic-desk-job and not enough flexibility and strength exercises or something, but it made me wonder if I should look at getting a new pair of gloves, since I've had these for several years and one crash.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
My Held Hamadas are the only pair of gloves that doesn't make me feel like someone is pushing a sawblade into my palm.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone know who makes the Harley heated gloves? I’m sure they’re rebranded. I inherited a pair and they’re in great shape, I’ll probably wire up my bikes for them

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Can you post a picture of which model you have?
Most likely Gerbing, but looks like a reshop of sub suppliers per year and most of them sadly look pretty crap vs modern designed motorcycle protective gear vs a basic leather glove.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Looks like I guess all wrong on my Revit Airwave pants order. I picked up a regular-L. It’s way too baggy despite me being right on the edge of M/L, and it’s comically long on my legs. I suppose the proper sizing would be a M-Short but I think I’ll hold off on re-ordering after I return these until our lockdown is over and just go fit some pants in person. I can afford to wait because it’s definitely not hot “mesh pants” riding weather yet.

I guess initial review will have to wait for whoever wanted it. I mean initial IMPRESSIONS are that it’s a really nice pair of pants. They feel way more substantial than the Airwave jacket in the same series, somehow.

On another topic, still up in the air about the A* SMX-6 v2 boot. I think the other boot I’m looking at is the Dainese Nexus. Any thoughts comparing the two? I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a Dainese fanboy but I also just prefer the look of the Nexus to the SMX. My main goal is just to improve ankle protection beyond my Dainese riding sneakers so I’m sure either would do. They’re both in the same price range and (hopefully) boots that I can basically wear forever.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 11, 2021

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Brigdh posted:

I think this has been posted before, but since the current topic is airbags, FortNine has a good video discussing the various pros/cons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2jZryt607U

I bought a Helite Turtle recently, decided on it because it's the only one that expands enough around the shoulders to really count as neck bracing. They make an electronic version of the same vest, but it's not available in the US and who knows if/when it will actually get here.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
So Ruroc, perpetrators of the ugliest ski/snowboard helmets on earth, have a new motorcycle subbrand Enginehawk, because they needed the stupidest possible name for the rebrand. They've made motorcycle helmets before but now are making other apparel as well. CE rated so meets protection standards and aesthetics are somewhere close to the vintage lines of other apparel makers.

https://www.ruroc.com/en_us/enginehawk

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Apparently their Ruroc helmets are completely shite, i.e. they let in loads of rain, which for a :britain: brand...

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I bought a Ruroc Berserker because I thought it looked cool and every single goddamn moto YouTuber hocks them alongside ballshavers and it loving sucks.

It fits like poo poo, it isn't comfortable, and the bluetooth module is trash. I think I've worn it twice.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I'll likely be getting a Schuberth full face soon (waiting for a good deal). Either an R2 or an S2.

Apparently they are round head friendly, available in XXL in the UK (unlike Arai), and it has the speakers built in so connecting a bluetooth to it is just plug and play (not faff with wires routing and finding room for speakers and mic bullshit).

Will post a trip report when I do.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
They look nice. Can't bring myself to drop 4-500 bucks on a helmet with 1980s safety tech. Might as well buy a fuckin Icon product.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

They look nice. Can't bring myself to drop 4-500 bucks on a helmet with 1980s safety tech. Might as well buy a fuckin Icon product.

Schuberth look nice?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

Apparently their Ruroc helmets are completely shite, i.e. they let in loads of rain, which for a :britain: brand...

Got a mate who hyped himself into pre-ordering a ruroc, watched the feature list shrink in realtime, waited a year for it to turn up, returned it because it had garbage finish, waited another few months for the replacement, is now searching for an AGV while complaining daily about his garbage helmet.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Any recommendations for good ear plugs? I'm just using cheap foams ones, which are serviceable, but I'm wondering if there's something better to be using as I go on longer and faster rides.

I also tried using wireless earbuds. Problem is that I can barely take my helmet off while they're in without feeling like they'll tear my ears off.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’ve been using EarPeace plugs and they work great. I can’t get regular foamies in because my ear canal takes a weird curve so unfortunately I can’t really compare the two.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

T Zero posted:

Any recommendations for good ear plugs? I'm just using cheap foams ones, which are serviceable, but I'm wondering if there's something better to be using as I go on longer and faster rides.

I also tried using wireless earbuds. Problem is that I can barely take my helmet off while they're in without feeling like they'll tear my ears off.

I use Pinlocks. I usually can't stand stiffer earplugs or in-ear headphones but these happen to be super comfortable for my ears.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

BabelFish posted:

I use Pinlocks. I usually can't stand stiffer earplugs or in-ear headphones but these happen to be super comfortable for my ears.

Have you ever used NoNoise? Same basic design but Pinpocks look to be lower profile. I have a hard time maintaining a seal when I put on my helmet using NoNoise. I wonder if pinlocks are better in the regard.

Foam always works but get uncomfortable for me after 45min or so.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Toe Rag posted:

Have you ever used NoNoise? Same basic design but Pinpocks look to be lower profile. I have a hard time maintaining a seal when I put on my helmet using NoNoise. I wonder if pinlocks are better in the regard.

Foam always works but get uncomfortable for me after 45min or so.

I have not, though I did try eargasm earplugs which are of similar design. The pinlocks sit quite far into the ear when fully seated, the only thing that might stick out past the Tragus (the flap of the ear that appears to cover the ear canal) is the little flexible pull tab to get them back out. If I've got them in correctly, putting my helmet on does not cause them to break seal, though sometimes I have to try an extra one or two times.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Big Bizness posted:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/first-manufacturing-turbine-jacket?sku_id=1215613

First Manufacturing's Turbine Jacket. Perforated leather, optional armor pockets, stylish enough to wear out even when you're not riding (if you take the armor out, anyway). I love mine.
This is perfect, thank you!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I have a hjc rpha 90 helmet, it's a couple years old and starting to fog again, and I can't seem to find a pinlock insert at a reasonable price in Australia. Is this one of the many supply things that covid has hosed up, or am I missing a search term, or what? The best I can find is poo poo on ebay that'll cost me 80 bucks + 115 shipping from europe.

Also since I'm riding more dirt roads and not-highways now as well as riding into town on tracks on the postie bike, would a bell mx-9 adv helmet be worth looking at? The hjc is nice for sitting on the highway but it's got gently caress all airflow doing 20-40km/h on lovely dirt "roads" in the sun and it's starting to suck.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 12, 2021

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I picked up a Cardo Packtalk Bold over the weekend and installed it in my RF1200. It was a pretty painless install, routing wires and everything took maybe twenty minutes. lovely weather so I only took it for a quick ride, but it was surprisingly clear with turn-by-turn directions and a podcast going at 50mph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Supradog posted:

Can you post a picture of which model you have?
Most likely Gerbing, but looks like a reshop of sub suppliers per year and most of them sadly look pretty crap vs modern designed motorcycle protective gear vs a basic leather glove.