Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

American Rocketman looks like a DC superhero. What blows my mind is they actually had a guy in costume for the cover photo.

Bike built by Mike Pierce, from various Indian models. He was the guy who took care of Steve McQueen's herd of Indian motorcycles.

https://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-american-motorcycles/sammy-pierce-p-61-american-rocket

A pretty wild bike, the engine builder used shell and ball bearings on the connecting rods for redundancy.

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jazzzzz posted:

"Love" and "Hate" on the hand guards is a nice touch, too

Friendship ended with clutch. Stoppies are my new best friend.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Why does the primary stick out so goddamn far on these? There's transverse inline-4s that take up less space

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Heritage?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Because they all have to use a big gently caress off wide rear end belt because of

It really makes no sense. A primary chain would be much narrower and keep the profile pulled close to the engine.

That being said. It’s mounted on a big gently caress off wide rear end bagger, so maybe it doesn’t really matter in the end?

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

"Help me step-Suzuki, I'm stuck in the garage!"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
They could also use an even smaller and more efficient gear drive if they'd switch to a unit-construction engine/transmission combo like every other manufacturer on the planet, but

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Because they all have to use a big gently caress off wide rear end belt because of

It really makes no sense. A primary chain would be much narrower and keep the profile pulled close to the engine.

That being said. It’s mounted on a big gently caress off wide rear end bagger, so maybe it doesn’t really matter in the end?

Wrong, it's a chain.

Sagebrush posted:

They could also use an even smaller and more efficient gear drive if they'd switch to a unit-construction engine/transmission combo like every other manufacturer on the planet, but

Wrong, they are unit construction it isn't a Harley. It is entirely for stylings' sake because that's what Harleys look like.

Also wrong: anime in all it's forms.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Slavvy posted:

Wrong, it's a chain.

Wrong, they are unit construction it isn't a Harley. It is entirely for stylings' sake because that's what Harleys look like.

Also wrong: anime in all it's forms.

No, it's because that's what Indians looked like.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Slavvy posted:

Okay well I'm talking about the general theme of cruisers with separate transmissions and giant open belt drives waiting to suck up your pants, not that specific Indian.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

How is belt final drive more likely to suck up your trousers than chain final drive?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This is the primary drive, between the engine crankshaft and the transmission, that we're talking about. Final drive is between the transmission and the rear wheel.

Most Harley-Davidsons use a wide belt as a primary drive, where most other motorcycles use a narrower chain or geartrain. That's the thing inside the wide case on the bottom left side of the engine.

It has become A Thing on choppers to remove the primary drive case and run with an open belt. That is definitely more likely to suck up the leg of your pants.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Sagebrush posted:

This is the primary drive, between the engine crankshaft and the transmission, that we're talking about. Final drive is between the transmission and the rear wheel.

Most Harley-Davidsons use a wide belt as a primary drive, where most other motorcycles use a narrower chain or geartrain. That's the thing inside the wide case on the bottom left side of the engine.

It has become A Thing on choppers to remove the primary drive case and run with an open belt. That is definitely more likely to suck up the leg of your pants.

This is real dumb.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Dude you are talking completely out your arse. Belt primaries are an aftermarket thing originally intended for drag racing that's been cargo culted by chopper idiots.

Only Harleys have a separate gearbox, all modern other cruisers are unit construction except I guess enfields maybe.

Every air cooled Harley has a chain final drive running in an oil bath, at least all the ones built since the 80's anyway.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Huh, well they're apparently such a common aftermarket part in America that I assumed a belt driven primary was standard. lol

Still doesn't explain why it's so wiiiiiiiiiide even on the stock bikes though.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Is this like how all ducatis get an open clutch cover immediately when they leave the factory?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Is this like how all ducatis get an open clutch cover immediately when they leave the factory?

Exactly, it's one of the many ways Ducatis and Harleys are surprisingly similar. I think because they are philosophically identical, it's just the American conception of the ideal bike is a big chrome cruiser (this is in the process of changing) while the Italian conception is a sexy red sportbike.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Slavvy posted:

Belt primaries are an aftermarket thing originally intended for drag racing that's been cargo culted by chopper idiots.

I was going to ask about this. Surely since the invention of the chain, motorcycle manufacturers would have adopted it as a more compact alternative to a fatass belt for any part of the drivetrain - so why? You've answered my question, but is there a functional reason big belts were used for drag racing in the first place?

Open clutch covers are rad as gently caress.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

While I know what final drive and primary drive are, it's good you cleared it up for others who may not know :)

I thought the discussion regarding sucking up your trousers was for the belt/chain in the actual final drive, i.e. the discussion had moved on from primary belts/chains as I didn't think anyone was talking about an open primary case with the belt/chain exposed because that would be dumb as gently caress!

An exposed primary is dumb as gently caress!

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 13, 2021

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Open clutch covers seem like a bad idea to me just in terms of poo poo from the road coming in and getting everything dirty, but it must not be an issue because they're certainly popular and I think Ducati makes OEM ones

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

I was going to ask about this. Surely since the invention of the chain, motorcycle manufacturers would have adopted it as a more compact alternative to a fatass belt for any part of the drivetrain - so why? You've answered my question, but is there a functional reason big belts were used for drag racing in the first place?

Open clutch covers are rad as gently caress.

Belts are more efficient, and because you're frequently taking out either the gearbox or the engine, it makes sense to have something that doesn't involve any oil or gaskets or covers, just a simple quick release so you can quickly change ratios or what have you. This is also one of the reasons Harley retains separate gearboxes, once again it isn't because they're somehow too dumb to do it the normal way.

MomJeans420 posted:

Open clutch covers seem like a bad idea to me just in terms of poo poo from the road coming in and getting everything dirty, but it must not be an issue because they're certainly popular and I think Ducati makes OEM ones

It is crap idea, that is exactly what happens and Ducati selling you a part doesn't mean that part is intended for the road regardless of what the marketing department wants to do.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

MomJeans420 posted:

Ari Henning did a video on wet vs dry clutches a few years back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K50n5eCGQI

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Open clutch covers on Ducatis are a thing it's really best not to think about, because the more you think about them, the less and less sense they make, and you start thinking, poo poo, open primaries and extended swingarms are downright logical compared to this.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I get using a dry clutch in motogp but I can't imagine the increased power would make any difference to your typical rider's lap times. Ari makes a good point about cooling, although I wonder what difference it really makes in the real world.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

It sounds cool.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

It sounds cool.

It sounds rattly and broken.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

I get using a dry clutch in motogp but I can't imagine the increased power would make any difference to your typical rider's lap times. Ari makes a good point about cooling, although I wonder what difference it really makes in the real world.

It makes the friction zone vary with temperature and humidity, it makes the clutch shudder and grab when you're trying to slip it, and it makes your bike sound like poo poo. The horsepower benefit is absolutely minute, GP bikes are chasing marginal gains so they run dry clutches because you only use it once per race so it can be very small, light and easily burned out. None of this applies on the road so the dry clutches on ducatis are actually bigger than a comparable wet clutch for the same engine because of the lack of oil cooling. It is the single most racing cargo cult :italy: ultra-pointless thing about them, the desmo valves and timing belts and SSA's are all ordinary stuff by comparison.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Lol motorcycles are supposed to be fun guys dry clutches are fun

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Loud clutches save lives

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

My experience owning a dry clutch Ducati is that it will make your left hand stupid and when you ride a regular wet clutch bike again you'll be lurching around like a noob because you forgot how to slip a clutch.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

My experience owning a dry clutch Ducati is that it will make your left hand stupid and when you ride a regular wet clutch bike again you'll be lurching around like a noob because you forgot how to slip a clutch.

This may have been because of the other ailment all ducatis get, a failing slave cylinder that fucks out enough to make the clutch action lovely but not enough to strand you or show any signs of leakage.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

If you imitate playing a tambourine while actuating the clutch at a light kids in the city really like that.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Spiffness posted:

If you imitate playing a tambourine while actuating the clutch at a light kids in the city really like that.

Did you learn that from an anime?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Loud clutches save lives

Spiffness posted:

:lol: this is incredible.

In the two weeks I had my ducati I don't recall the clutch feeling weird or different than other bikes. Maybe all the years driving manual trained me to engage a clutch smoothly and with purpose and I just never noticed. Even with wet clutch bikes, I never really slip the clutch unless I'm off road. (maybe I do and don't notice it?)

All the years of thinking a clutch is a fragile diamond encrusted thing to never slip has broken my brain. :sigh:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Spiffness posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KooABbX0lQA

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Coydog posted:

:lol: this is incredible.

In the two weeks I had my ducati I don't recall the clutch feeling weird or different than other bikes. Maybe all the years driving manual trained me to engage a clutch smoothly and with purpose and I just never noticed. Even with wet clutch bikes, I never really slip the clutch unless I'm off road. (maybe I do and don't notice it?)

All the years of thinking a clutch is a fragile diamond encrusted thing to never slip has broken my brain. :sigh:

the clutch is the control that requires finesse. the gear selector is just dumb counting.

cars are designed backwards by having the clutch actuated by the foot, dumbest of extremities.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

:italy:
:discourse:

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Reminds me of a funny anecdote when I was on vacation with some friends in another city. None of them are automotively inclined in the slightest, but they know I ride. As we were walking down the street from the place we were staying at, a Ducati rides by us. After its gone, one of my friends leans over and says to me in a hushed tone, "Why does it sound like that?"

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Behold, a motorcycle.

I have not actually heard of this bike before. It’s one of those late 80s/early 90s JDM 250cc 2 strokes, so I imagine it is :krad: has anyone ridden one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I have, they handle like garbage compared to the nsr and rgv, but they're also super powerful. So a typical kawasaki.

They've got two crankshafts tandemed together, with rotary intake valves so the carbs stick out to the right, it's pretty cool.