Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

TheScott2K posted:

Love getting a new teacher and having to have the "it's a digital" conversation and like...win them over. I got young kids, Eunice, I need that headphone port! I'm not buying microphones, Agnes, I need that line-out for social media victory laps!

Man, nothing would ever get me to go back to digital pianos. I can tell when I'm tensing up now just by the tone going harsh and tinny. Still can't fix it, but at least I know it's happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

What's your idea of "spend too much?" A Yamaha P125 fits what you're looking for and comes in around $600. A P45 goes for a bit less.

I just ordered a P-125 here in norway and it cost 800$ :negative:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Big Mackson posted:

I just ordered a P-125 here in norway and it cost 800$ :negative:

You're talking to a guy who sold his motorcycle to buy a YDP-184. Music stuff, you can clean yourself out buying it.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
how about playing organ music at home? no need for weighted keys there, right?

yet, digital organs are even more expensive. why?

is it just the onboard sound? i can't imagine..

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Yes, no need for weighted keys on an organ. What kind of organ are you looking for? (The solution is midi controller(s) & software either way)

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
bind sound samples to keyboard, doot doot.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

cebrail posted:

Yes, no need for weighted keys on an organ. What kind of organ are you looking for? (The solution is midi controller(s) & software either way)

i'm a guitar player, so the keyboard is mostly for me to do MIDI input, experiment with different chord voicings, etc. not so much for performance.

i used to have a yamaha p105 digital piano, but i didn't really appreciate the weighted keys. i need a replacement, so now it's a question of whether to get another digital piano with weighted keys, or something else...

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i'm probably only going to be playing synth patches thru MIDI, but it would be nice to have legit onboard sounds. just not sure i'm ready to spend 2000 or 3000 bux on it...

i've seen keyboard players at shows play those red Nord synths. i don't think those have weighted keys, but that seems closer to what i'm looking for.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
have anyone tried pianoteq/various VST's and if so, was it better than built in sound samples in your digital piano?

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Pianoteq will definitely sound better than your digital piano. Pianoteq is a pretty crazy technically achievement but I think good sampled pianos still sound a little better.

Some really nice VSTs you might want to check out: Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, VI Labs Ravenscroft, NI Noire and all of the Vienna Symphonic Library pianos. The VSL stuff is out of my price range but gets rave reviews.

I'm a big fan of Garritan CFX, it's a little older so you can often get it on sale but it's still one of the best.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

hot date tonight! posted:

Pianoteq will definitely sound better than your digital piano. Pianoteq is a pretty crazy technically achievement but I think good sampled pianos still sound a little better.

Some really nice VSTs you might want to check out: Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, VI Labs Ravenscroft, NI Noire and all of the Vienna Symphonic Library pianos. The VSL stuff is out of my price range but gets rave reviews.

I'm a big fan of Garritan CFX, it's a little older so you can often get it on sale but it's still one of the best.

I tried demo of pianoteq and it does sound better. It might also be the external speakers. Started to practice megalovania so i can practice both hands at high* speed.

*high speed for me

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah my digital piano internal speakers sound so bad I’ve thought about getting some kind of dedicated PC setup to use pianoteq and things with external speakers

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Booyah- posted:

Yeah my digital piano internal speakers sound so bad I’ve thought about getting some kind of dedicated PC setup to use pianoteq and things with external speakers

one fun thing with pianoteq was the "wear" slider. It sound just like the old pianos i tried at old people homes!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

So the CFX Grand voice on my digital - the one they're like "buy it for this!" about - just exposes the gently caress out of my monoprice over-the-ear headphones' limitations. Sounds great out the speakers, terrible on the headphones.

Clearly I need a pair of grownup headphones. Is there anything between $100-200 that wouldn't be a total disaster? They'd basically live on the hook under the piano forever, so I don't care about Bluetooth. Big a chunky with a thick coiled cord is fine.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

So the CFX Grand voice on my digital - the one they're like "buy it for this!" about - just exposes the gently caress out of my monoprice over-the-ear headphones' limitations. Sounds great out the speakers, terrible on the headphones.

Clearly I need a pair of grownup headphones. Is there anything between $100-200 that wouldn't be a total disaster? They'd basically live on the hook under the piano forever, so I don't care about Bluetooth. Big a chunky with a thick coiled cord is fine.

I use beyerdynamic dt770, very comfortable and neutral sound.

edit: i have only tried 80 ohm version tho.

edit2: i am also deaf on one ear and a little bit reduced hearing on the other so i am not the best judge of sound quality. Mono for lyfe!

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 19, 2021

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The church my wife is playing for needs an outdoor instrument for socially distanced sing-alongs for 20-40 people.

Are the P45/125s a safe bet, or is another brand better for similar money? If we need to also invest in amplification, what are the reasonable cheap options? I only know guitar world, but would an acoustic amp basically be the deal?

Thanks!

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I have started to play fur elise and made progress then i hit the "wave" of notes that make my hands feel old and slow. I thought then to learn something more slow. I started playing Moonlight sonata 1st movement but i never could make it sound right. The reason? Because i do not know things.

Take the very first note in G clef.

I played it as a natural note because hey, i dont see it in the G clef key signature. :wrong: I must look at bass clef also! My habit of treating G and F notation as separate entities that exists independent of each other made me play bad and wrong.

edit: wait, if F signature says that G is sharp, does that mean G in G is sharp also?

edit2: can i even read anything? do i even exist?

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 28, 2021

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
99.9% of the time, your treble and bass clefs will be in the same key. Both hands will have the same sharps or flats (except as accidentals occur obv).

When you see a G sharp in the key signature, that doesn't mean only the line/space it's on is sharp. It means all Gs, regardless of the octave, are sharp. So in the key signature it's drawn where the high G is, but it also applies to the G above middle C, and the G below middle C, and all the other Gs.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

99.9% of the time, your treble and bass clefs will be in the same key. Both hands will have the same sharps or flats (except as accidentals occur obv).

When you see a G sharp in the key signature, that doesn't mean only the line/space it's on is sharp. It means all Gs, regardless of the octave, are sharp. So in the key signature it's drawn where the high G is, but it also applies to the G above middle C, and the G below middle C, and all the other Gs.

dang, i wish they just listed the letter keys in a group and said whats sharp and flat etc. universal key signature patent pending.

edit: does that mean you can get DOUBLE SHARP in a single key?

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Yes, (eg) G sharp major has an F double sharp. Though at that point you'd probably write it in A flat.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

HappyCamperGL posted:

Yes, (eg) G sharp major has an F double sharp. Though at that point you'd probably write it in A flat.

*David Attenborough voice* amazing!

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
wrong thread!!

curried lamb of God fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 1, 2021

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i know it's just a matter of time before i do that too

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Big Mackson posted:

I use beyerdynamic dt770, very comfortable and neutral sound.

edit: i have only tried 80 ohm version tho.

edit2: i am also deaf on one ear and a little bit reduced hearing on the other so i am not the best judge of sound quality. Mono for lyfe!

well...they'll be here Thursday

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

well...they'll be here Thursday

Just remember to have enough power (my laptop could not power it up to normal volume) through a preamp or some such. I have used it for lots of years and i would still have my original one if i hadnt downed a bottle of absinthe, puked on the headset and passed out on the floor. :|

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Big Mackson posted:

Just remember to have enough power (my laptop could not power it up to normal volume) through a preamp or some such. I have used it for lots of years and i would still have my original one if i hadnt downed a bottle of absinthe, puked on the headset and passed out on the floor. :|

I intend for this to live on the headphone hook under my Arius, we'll see how it does on its own. I'm sure I'll eventually give in to temptation and get a pre-amp to use them with my gaming PC anyway.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I have installed L-125 and LP-1 and it is much better having the keyboard at the correct height and a pedal that stays where it at. Now to play tetris in my living room.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I just put my roland on their furniture stand and it is so much better than the stupid X stand I was using, which had six different adjustment heights where the lowest one was too low for a piano bench and the next one was too high and all of them were flimsy and wobbly.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

So I got a new piano, lol.

The manufacturer sent a wrong action bracket again. The tech first looked at the piano mid-February. It's now late May. Holy crap. And in this time interval I decided I want to move state, so this will be fun too. The new one is fairly out of tune, but also feels way brighter than the old one, and the keys have a lighter touch, which is excellent. I am surprised how different it sounds despite being the same model and all.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

pokie posted:

So I got a new piano, lol.

The manufacturer sent a wrong action bracket again. The tech first looked at the piano mid-February. It's now late May. Holy crap. And in this time interval I decided I want to move state, so this will be fun too. The new one is fairly out of tune, but also feels way brighter than the old one, and the keys have a lighter touch, which is excellent. I am surprised how different it sounds despite being the same model and all.

my idea solution would be to attach digital sensors to each tangent and let a computer make a sound instead oryou could have a microphone for each string and autotune the sound in real life. i am very smart.

edit: learning to mentally/muscle memory map keys differently than before after i learned about how key signatures repeats through the entire row of keys is a lot of work.

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 26, 2021

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

My in-laws have a baldwin upright that's about 30 years old. It was only played for a few years in the 90s, and never been tuned. I'd like to adopt this piano and get it retuned and get the sticky keys fixed. Can pianos like this be refurbished successfully? I'm okay with going a few rounds of tuning, but I don't want to jump into it if the piano will never get back into good shape. Before I pay someone to take a look at it, I wanted to check with y'all if pianos this old and unmaintained are even worth trying to refurbish?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

giogadi posted:

My in-laws have a baldwin upright that's about 30 years old. It was only played for a few years in the 90s, and never been tuned. I'd like to adopt this piano and get it retuned and get the sticky keys fixed. Can pianos like this be refurbished successfully? I'm okay with going a few rounds of tuning, but I don't want to jump into it if the piano will never get back into good shape. Before I pay someone to take a look at it, I wanted to check with y'all if pianos this old and unmaintained are even worth trying to refurbish?

It depends a lot on the storage conditions during those years - if it was in a basement or something maybe not, but I would say it's definitely worth looking up a tuner and explaining the situation to them, they can take a look and tell you if it's worth going forward with tuning (assuming it's a reputable tuner and not someone just looking to make a few bucks or w/e).

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Thanks! It’s been well kept in a dining room, so chances might be good. I’ll definitely check with a tuner first.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Not sure if this is the right thread but I'm not sure where else this would go (synth thread?).

I don't have room for a digital piano (yet), but I just bought a used 49-key keyboard on the cheap (specifically a Roland A-49, which fits nicely on my desk). Rather than try to force the task of "learning piano" onto a limited piece of equipment, I'm going to focus on learning theory and simple composition.

That said, it seems like these efforts would benefit from becoming a competent keyboardist within the limitations of the equipment I have. Would you approach this differently than the standard piano methods (with modifications for the reduced range), or is there a keboard-specific approach out there?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Discussion Quorum posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread but I'm not sure where else this would go (synth thread?).

I don't have room for a digital piano (yet), but I just bought a used 49-key keyboard on the cheap (specifically a Roland A-49, which fits nicely on my desk). Rather than try to force the task of "learning piano" onto a limited piece of equipment, I'm going to focus on learning theory and simple composition.

That said, it seems like these efforts would benefit from becoming a competent keyboardist within the limitations of the equipment I have. Would you approach this differently than the standard piano methods (with modifications for the reduced range), or is there a keboard-specific approach out there?

I started learning on a larger kb, but I don't think having all the keys is that important at the beginning. I just used the Adult Piano Adventures book the thread recommended. It's not ideal, but it's a fine intro to the instrument. You can still learn sight reading, fingerings and simple pieces with an unweighted kb. Sure, it will mean catching up down the line, but there is plenty you can do just using regular piano resources.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

The A-49 has full size keys so in my personal opinion it's fine to learn on. Yeah getting used to weighted keys will take an adjustment, but the real pain in the rear end is those digital keyboards with the skinny keys, because then your muscle memory for the spaces between notes gets all hosed up. Also if you're like me you fatfinger cluster chords even more often than usual. Someone donated a keyboard with those skinny keys to my program and everyone (including me) hates it because you can't translate anything you've learned on a real piano to it and vice versa.

and yeah pokie's right just learn whatever. Beginning piano is just learning to navigate the thing, and by the time "technique work" is separate enough for you to notice it you'll also be ready to decide if it's something worth pursuing for yourself to be able to play what you compose, or if you're ok just knowing that someone else will probably be able to execute it for you.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Funny story, my $100 A-49 fell through because the guy was expecting the shipping to be only about $25. Oops. But now I'm psyched and impatient so I upped my budget, read more reviews, and picked up a certified refurbished 61-key Novation Impulse. It's semi-weighted and supposedly has very nice keys. It will also eat up more of my desk, but whatever.

Does anything in particular distinguish any of the online lesson platforms, or are they all just vehicles for teachers to find students over Zoom/Skype?

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Bought a Roland fp-30X about a month ago, and I'm really enjoying it - blows my parent's old williams allegro out of the water. I've decided, after years of thinking I would never have enough time or motivation to see it through, that I'm going to try learning classical piano. I may or may not get anywhere, but we'll see.

Anyway, I figured someone might get a laugh over my beginner mistake (and also failure to use my eyes mistake): I've been spending the last week learning Dmitri Kabalevsky's 24 Pieces for Children(the first 2 pieces, specifically) and was struggling over how weird they sounded... until I looked up a recording, wondered how it sounded so nice, and realized with horror that it's 2 treble clefs and no bass clef... yep, that about explains it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
working on the schubert Gb prelude atm. here's the first two pages, currently working on four, so almost halfway there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewzZwS9HKM0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Sarrisan posted:

Anyway, I figured someone might get a laugh over my beginner mistake (and also failure to use my eyes mistake): I've been spending the last week learning Dmitri Kabalevsky's 24 Pieces for Children(the first 2 pieces, specifically) and was struggling over how weird they sounded... until I looked up a recording, wondered how it sounded so nice, and realized with horror that it's 2 treble clefs and no bass clef... yep, that about explains it.

same for me except it was final fantasy music. default assumptions are dangerous.