Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Funky Valentine posted:

Remember when Momo's team lost handily but her opponent was like "but I don't FEEL like I won."

lmao classic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I like Mina Ashido.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

JTA probably wouldn't rankle quite so much if the manga felt like it's going end 200+ chapters later than it probably will.

It was well paced for a One Piece level behemoth, not what we seem to be on track for.
Yeah, I think this is part of it. We hit 300 chapters and got notified this is the last arc unless things somehow get utterly dire in Weekly Jump, so we're looking at maybe possibly 50-something more chapters and not 200 more where the cast members people like all get their proper arcs and so on and so forth.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Viridiant posted:

I like Mina Ashido.

Yeah, gimme some more Mina.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The difference is usually they let Deku or similar charactersactually heroically win some fights instead of 100% of this bullshit.

Which is why Momo's.....entire screentime basically sticks in so many craws.

You'd have a better argument if you just said "Yeah but she's not a real character in the plot so her not getting hard wins is whatever." cause that's at least consistent with the story so far.

I mean you can argue about how well it was done but "Momo is the one responsible for guiding the team and is learning to reach that point, as embodied by the most recent arc where she was given the task of taking down a literally unstoppable being and succeeded" is entirely the plot as it is advancing. At which point people started talking about how it didn't count because it wasn't an instant win.

Momo isn't remotely my favorite character but people seem to hold her to a higher standard to everyone else not named Deku despite the fact that pretty much everyone has a losing record and the vast majority of wins come from jobbers or someone winning a battle but losing the war or otherwise feeling unsatisfied. I don't argue with any criticisms about her feeling thin or her costume being stupid but focusing on "This character LOST that means the author hates her" stuff feels like a misreading even before it became clear that the author at very least seems to be *intending* for her reach higher places.

Like Deku spends pretty much the entire first arc being "The guy who gets owned constantly but impresses the people around him none the less" and he's the protagonist with the lion's share of screentime.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Viridiant posted:

I like Mina Ashido.

Mina is awesome and deserves better, yes

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
And now she can be Alien Queen if she wants

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, I do in fact because people don't shut up about it because as near as I can tell in a manga full to the brim of "I won but I don't feel like I won" fights that particular one is absolutely unforgivable unlike all the times Deku won by getting his rear end kicked but impressing someone while doing so.

Deku typically actually wins those fights, though.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Fabricated posted:

Yeah, I think this is part of it. We hit 300 chapters and got notified this is the last arc unless things somehow get utterly dire in Weekly Jump, so we're looking at maybe possibly 50-something more chapters and not 200 more where the cast members people like all get their proper arcs and so on and so forth.
Uh. You got a source on that? It does feel like this would be a way of wrapping up, but A) who knows how long that'll take, and B) who know if this is the actual final arc?

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
1A vs 1B is cool and you all are really weirdly hung up on Momo losing and Mushroom Girl for some reason

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Viridiant posted:

I like Mina Ashido.

She is cool and should have more screentime.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

Deku typically actually wins those fights, though.

For a good bit of the series Deku's thing wasn't winning every fight but getting his rear end kicked and going all out and making everyone go "Jesus, that dude is crazy determined." More to the point a major part of MHA isn't winning battles but winning hearts. A series ongoing theme is that you win not by beating someone up but by saving someone and that has been there from the very start. Even in battles it's more about a character's development than if they won.

Momo's fight in the JTA is a loss but it's not like a joke lol loss. She is shown to repeatedly counter pretty much everything the enemies throw at her which means they specifically target her first and even as she is going down she literally ties her unconscious body to her opponent to slow her down while simultaneously shooting a bag full of what is needed over to her allies. They still lose but it largely due to the fact that Mushroom Girl is immensely loving OP, not because Momo sucks so much. The entire context behind the "I don't feel like I won" thing is because Momo was a few steps ahead of them pretty much all the time and even losing she made it a closer fight than it should have been.

MHA as a series is immensely uninterested in who actually wins the fight more than how a fight makes someone look, either good or bad. It's one of the good things about it. Someone winning a fight can be satisfying but only if it is something besides just a physical victory. Otherwise you have Endeavor who is king of winning and absolutely rock bottom in winning in ways that matter to the themes of the story.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

That fight also made Aoyama and Hagakure look like poo poo. Aoyama got captured by Vantablack grabbing him by the cape twice and Hagakure couldn't even take one guy out with a stealth attack(meanwhile Uraraka took out two members of the 1-B team with a stealth attack in her match).

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

Momo's fight in the JTA is a loss but it's not like a joke lol loss. She is shown to repeatedly counter pretty much everything the enemies throw at her which means they specifically target her first and even as she is going down she literally ties her unconscious body to her opponent to slow her down while simultaneously shooting a bag full of what is needed over to her allies. They still lose but it largely due to the fact that Mushroom Girl is immensely loving OP, not because Momo sucks so much. The entire context behind the "I don't feel like I won" thing is because Momo was a few steps ahead of them pretty much all the time and even losing she made it a closer fight than it should have been.

The rest of your quote is dead on but I feel like I read a completely different fight than you in the JTA arc.

We spend a lot of time being told that Momo is 5 steps ahead, but every time we see her do something it’s largely reactive to what others are doing in the fight; which suggests that she isn’t planning ahead at all. It’s bizarrely done, and for me it was completely hilarious when she lost, because it certainly didn’t feel like she almost won. It just read to me like someone running around like a chicken with their head cut off until their inevitable loss.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Hagakure isn't so much a character as occasional panel filler, and doesn't even manage that because, well, you know.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Ignoring the Momo stuff, I'd like to point out the good things about the next fight: the Goth-off, Black Fallen Angel, Manga's power, Mushroom Girl and how awesome Kendo is. Seriously, she punches through tungsten she's great.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Tsukoyomi's flashback is great and I'm really looking forward to it.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Uh. You got a source on that? It does feel like this would be a way of wrapping up, but A) who knows how long that'll take, and B) who know if this is the actual final arc?

We have no confirmation or statement this is the final arc. It was stated this is the final act, the third segment of the story. The first act was around 100 chapters, the second was over 200. We still probably have at least 100 chapters left minimum, potentially a lot more.

It does seem clear now the story isn't going to track to the 3 years of education at UA however.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FartingBedpost posted:

The rest of your quote is dead on but I feel like I read a completely different fight than you in the JTA arc.

We spend a lot of time being told that Momo is 5 steps ahead, but every time we see her do something it’s largely reactive to what others are doing in the fight; which suggests that she isn’t planning ahead at all. It’s bizarrely done, and for me it was completely hilarious when she lost, because it certainly didn’t feel like she almost won. It just read to me like someone running around like a chicken with their head cut off until their inevitable loss.

Momo is pretty much responding instantly to things the other side is doing. It's not super exciting because her powerset boils down to "Has a bag of holding with anything the plot asks in it" but the only time she seems really caught off guard is by the mushrooms. (Which are, again, HILARIOUSLY OP) and even then she formulates a plan to counter them which fails largely because she didn't know they could grow loving anywhere.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Act 1 was up through the All for One fight, right?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Momo is pretty much responding instantly to things the other side is doing. It's not super exciting because her powerset boils down to "Has a bag of holding with anything the plot asks in it" but the only time she seems really caught off guard is by the mushrooms. (Which are, again, HILARIOUSLY OP) and even then she formulates a plan to counter them which fails largely because she didn't know they could grow loving anywhere.

Also, and I will repeat this until the cows come home, she could’ve won simply by blowing Kendo’s head clean off if it was genuinely that kind of fight

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
The JTA was okay but you kinda had to know the whole time that the story was absolutely not going to find space for most of these kids going forward because it can't even find something for most of class A. It's like that couple panels where they show off the Shiggy era liberation army and the new divisions and it's officers and it's like, this ain't One Piece, almost none of these cats that weren't already league members are gonna matter.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I thought the Joint Training Arc was just okay for reasons already stated repeatedly in this thread.

But I will say that I now no longer hold out hope that it will be substantially improved in the anime. This first fight was not 1.5 episodes of content. It should have been like .75 episodes. They deliberately adapted all the flashbacks and explanations in a way to optimally pad things out. Though I guess the 4 minutes we got of where people actually moved were alright.

If the next fights are paced as like this, well gently caress me.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

ImpAtom posted:

MHA as a series is immensely uninterested in who actually wins the fight more than how a fight makes someone look, either good or bad. It's one of the good things about it. Someone winning a fight can be satisfying but only if it is something besides just a physical victory. Otherwise you have Endeavor who is king of winning and absolutely rock bottom in winning in ways that matter to the themes of the story.

Counterpoint: Momo's phyrric victory over Gigantomacha, in which she and the rest of that group accomplished their primary objective of knocking him out for capture, but failed utterly at doing so before he murdered Midnight and a fuckton of civilians along the way.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
So, hey, how about that new chapter? Can we actually discuss it now that we have the real thing and not just speedscans?

Was genuinely surprised that Deku leaving UA wasn't some spur of the moment him-versus-the-world decision, but that he does in fact have the Hero Association at his back.

Real missed opportunity to have the support items created by Mei instead of a "well, lucky thing" cop-out.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Much like everyone not named Bakugo, Midoriya or Todoroki, I don't think he remembers Mei exists.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Horikoshi's doing a really good job of not letting us get a solid glimpse of current-day Hawks, making it impossible to tell if his wings are growing back or not. If they're not, I wonder if he's just playing coordinator/director with Endeavor and Jeanist because he can't be that useful in a fight with no feathers.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Inko should have gone with her son too.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
Yeah, as per usual its never as it first appears. I am happy the edgelord Deku goes it alone arc is in fact not on the table, other than apparently ostracizing himself from his friends. Call your loving friends Deku, you got your phone on you still clearly.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Inko should have gone with her son too.

Speaking of, I’m kind of curious why Inko never thought about becoming a hero herself (her telekinesis or whatever her quirk is seems like it could be useful).

Though she is rather emotional and had a kid to take care of since her husband is constantly away for whatever reason (if they’re still together at all that is) so maybe she just couldn’t handle it.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Are you trying to tell us that moms aren't heroes?? wow

wow

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I want to cut back to UA and Inko has become the dorm mom for 2-A.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Scholtz posted:

Are you trying to tell us that moms aren't heroes?? wow

wow

Fair point

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, I’m kind of curious why Inko never thought about becoming a hero herself (her telekinesis or whatever her quirk is seems like it could be useful).
IIRC, her quirk is specifically being able to pull in small objects. We don't know how much that could have been strengthened by training (could she learn to push, or to pull larger objects), but it's possible. Given what we know about her personality and reactions to things, though, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to assume that she had no desire to become a pro hero herself. She just wanted to be a full-time mother and have a nice, quiet life. Not her fault she gave birth to a protagonist.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

Counterpoint: Momo's phyrric victory over Gigantomacha, in which she and the rest of that group accomplished their primary objective of knocking him out for capture, but failed utterly at doing so before he murdered Midnight and a fuckton of civilians along the way.

I mean the guy tore through every other pro hero, it's a little unfair to throw that kinda shade at her as a first year high school student when literally no one else was able to come up with a way to stop him. Might as well start pointing fingers at every other hero for not stopping him or capturing a completely incapacitated Shigaraki if we go down that path.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

PMush Perfect posted:

IIRC, her quirk is specifically being able to pull in small objects. We don't know how much that could have been strengthened by training (could she learn to push, or to pull larger objects), but it's possible. Given what we know about her personality and reactions to things, though, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to assume that she had no desire to become a pro hero herself. She just wanted to be a full-time mother and have a nice, quiet life. Not her fault she gave birth to a protagonist.

I’m sure there are plenty of people with potentially strong quirks that just don’t want to be heroes.

Also I think her quirk is specifically magnetism not telekinesis.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Yeah, that’d make sense. Incidentally, what are the rules about Quirk usage by civilians? Are they still outright banned in public like they were in Vigilantes or would they be allowed to use them for like a job or something?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

RatHat posted:

Also I think her quirk is specifically magnetism not telekinesis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oBMehn3jwI&t=40s

Timestamped at 0:40. The phrasing is slightly ambiguous, but I think it's just any small object. (Of course, that doesn't mean Horikoshi hasn't changed his mind or forgotten about the old details since then.)

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Larryb posted:

Yeah, that’d make sense. Incidentally, what are the rules about Quirk usage by civilians? Are they still outright banned in public like they were in Vigilantes or would they be allowed to use them for like a job or something?

You can use your quirk for jobs but you gotta get a license. iirc uraraka had this as an option, for example.

As for other, more general public usage its probably one of those things only enforced depending on the situation. Like no one's really going to do much to Inko just grabbing her keys off the ground in public with her quirk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Is Gran Torino dead, or just hospitalized and retiring indefinitely?