Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

What's funny about privet in the southeast is that it's super invasive and naturally forms a messy boundary of sorts between most rural properties. I'm sure if you maintained it it would be much prettier though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Fitzy Fitz posted:

What's funny about privet in the southeast is that it's super invasive and naturally forms a messy boundary of sorts between most rural properties. I'm sure if you maintained it it would be much prettier though.

Yeah this + whatever show I was watching about Ye Olde English Farme made me think about it. We don’t really have the hazel? Or whatever gets used for hedgerows in Europe but we sure have privet. Maybe yaupon or wax myrtle would work as native options? Weave a little devils walking stick in for extra fun. Honestly I think any attempt at making a hedgerow in the SE would be abandoned after it got completely choked by blackberry and greenbriar and would murder anyone who tried to clean it up.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I recently discovered that there's an insane amount of work and skill that went into maintaining those feild boundaries:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoprVhpOKIk

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Bi-la kaifa posted:

I recently discovered that there's an insane amount of work and skill that went into maintaining those feild boundaries:

drat cool vid, thank you

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

Funny you say this! We had a water oak pop up out of nowhere in our front yard a few years ago, practically in the same exact spot as an earlier (different kind of) oak tree that we had to cut down awhile before that. My dad, being a “live-and-let-live” semi-hippie type of guy, didn’t want to cut the water oak down because he had wanted to put a new oak tree in that spot anyway, and with this one magically appearing there on it’s own, he considered it to be — and I’m quoting him directly here — a “little gift from God” (he’s pretty religious like that, although thankfully not in a bad conservative way).

Now, I say all of that in the past tense because, while the tree is still standing there in that spot at the moment, it is no longer alive. That’s because the huge winter storm we got back in February that murdered our state’s power and water grids also killed a whole shitload of plants, including this particular tree. You can tell it’s dead because all of the leaves on it are shrivelled up and death-brown, instead of growing and bright vibrant green like oak leaves are supposed to be at this time of year. I have a chainsaw big enough to cut it down, but it’s right near a power line and too tall for someone to cut down safely and gradually without either a tall A-frame ladder or a boxlift. Both of those things mean that we need to hire a pro to take care of it, although the power line is along the street and not connected to our house which makes me wonder if maybe the city might handle it for us :thunk:

Well Dad changed his mind again and now he doesn’t want to cut down the water oak. Apparently it’s growing new branches to replace the ones that died.

Good news is I have some Roundup left over from when I had to clear out a place in our jasmine bed to plant a dogwood tree several months ago. Maybe I’ll grab my hand-pump sprayer and play a little game of After-Dark Angel of Death with it. :ninja:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yeah this + whatever show I was watching about Ye Olde English Farme made me think about it. We don’t really have the hazel? Or whatever gets used for hedgerows in Europe but we sure have privet. Maybe yaupon or wax myrtle would work as native options? Weave a little devils walking stick in for extra fun. Honestly I think any attempt at making a hedgerow in the SE would be abandoned after it got completely choked by blackberry and greenbriar and would murder anyone who tried to clean it up.

Actually this reminds me of a similar idea I had. Eastern red cedar grows thick like that along fences and roads, and it really encloses an area when it's old. It's definitely not a hedge, but it's close to our equivalent. If I ever have a long driveway I want to line it with cedar.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Actually this reminds me of a similar idea I had. Eastern red cedar grows thick like that along fences and roads, and it really encloses an area when it's old. It's definitely not a hedge, but it's close to our equivalent. If I ever have a long driveway I want to line it with cedar.
I see them like that around family cemeteries at old plantation houses alot. There was a big preference for evergreens in cemeteries anyway, and they grow so well even on poor upland red clay soil (where the house, and usually cemetery are). It feels like you're in a little room if you go in the graveyard and hides the graves from everyday sight. Big mature cedars or magnolias are always a good sign that that This Is An Old House. Sometimes in the woods around here you happen upon a little patch of chinaberry, black locust, wisteria, and maybe a few spider lilies or crinums and it always means it's an old abandoned house site, and don't fall down the well. The rural south used to have waaaaaaay more people in it.

It's neat to me when the plants are all that's left of that history, happily thriving 80 or 100 years after all the people left.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Bi-la kaifa posted:

This is incredible, easily the coolest thing I've seen in recent memory.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I just put in my first shrubs (a great looking Prunus glandulosa that I couldn't pass up for $30, a Salix integra cv. Hakuro-Nishiki, and some variety of prostrate Cotoneaster adpressus I haven't seen before) and perennials of the year now that the nurseries are opening up and... it decided it might snow today.

All of the special expensive daffodils I put in last year have big old buds on them and are about to flower and if this kills them I will be sad. What the gently caress, weather? :(

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It's neat to me when the plants are all that's left of that history, happily thriving 80 or 100 years after all the people left.
When you drive around neighborhoods here you can tell when stuff was built based on the kinds of shrubs and trees growing in front of people's houses. New developments are almost always plagued by gross looking blobs of poorly pruned Arborvitae but when you're in old neighborhoods people's front lawns are dotted with 100+ year old ornamentals and clumps of hosta that have been in the ground so long they look like a different plant.

Completely unrelated: You were talking about making an effort-post about garden design, and I have been wondering lately what people's general feelings on rocks in gardens are. I have a gravel/rock garden that has always had some larger stone in it, but I recently built a dry-stack retaining wall and I've been distributing some of the remnants of the three pallets of stone used for it in a bunch of the gardens and I'm finding that I'm a big fan of some nicely placed rock in among the plants to add texture.

Now I just need to make friends with someone that has construction equipment so I can find somewhere to steal some child-sized boulders to finish it off.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Sometimes in the woods around here you happen upon a little patch of chinaberry, black locust, wisteria, and maybe a few spider lilies or crinums and it always means it's an old abandoned house site, and don't fall down the well. The rural south used to have waaaaaaay more people in it.

You can see this in NorCal hill country. In the 1870s or so there was a lot of homesteading and there was a much larger (and very scattered) population in the hills. You know where are the old farms and homesteads were by the nonnative trees (and iron relics you find in the ground and redwood fence posts, also the wells, some of which are still good). It's usually eucalyptus, palms, and gnarled half-dead orchard trees. It's much more stark in the grasslands, where there will be nothing and then a stand of random out-of-place trees. The houses have long since turned to dust but the trees remain.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
There are lots of rock features in gardens around me. This is both a product of it being anything but flat, but also they’re great for helping move the water where you need it to go when it rains for all of November and half of December in the PNW. I’ve also seen lots of rock features in New Mexico, also a product of the environment, but still really pretty. Then there’s the patch of river rock right in a section around a raised bed in my yard. I don’t like it, but it helps the water go where it needs to go again so it doesn’t go in my basement.

Saying that, rocks can be cool features and give your plants some extra background and really bring the garden together.

Just don’t put small rocks in veg garden beds or someone will end up cursing you every single time they try to grow root veg. Big rocks are still cool there too. Especially if they’re big enough to sit on.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Back when I worked in field survey, one of our tell tale signs for an old homestead was daffodils. We’d be in the middle of nowhere, miles from anything resembling a road, but if we saw daffodils, we knew that we needed to keep our eyes peeled for the remnants of the old house and especially the uncovered well, no doubt completely hidden by brush

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Havent thought about that in years but it is very wild to remember that whenever I saw a daffodil I would be like “oh poo poo, this just got real” and radio the rest of my team to keep their eyes peeled for deadly pit falls and other hazards

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
My wine cap brick continues quite well

I have two bricks and I think I'm Gunna try and break one up into the mush room patch and grow the other one

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I love succulents.

We got this big rear end cactus I got from my mom. No idea what it is, I think it's a night blooming cereus? Anyways it makes these big rear end blooms only at night, maybe only during full moons, I don't remember

Here's a video I took of it blooming
https://fckgw.net/share/Cactus_blooms.mp4

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

FCKGW posted:

I love succulents.

We got this big rear end cactus I got from my mom. No idea what it is, I think it's a night blooming cereus? Anyways it makes these big rear end blooms only at night, maybe only during full moons, I don't remember

Here's a video I took of it blooming
https://fckgw.net/share/Cactus_blooms.mp4

that’s fuckin gorgeous, looks kind of like a cereus— but don’t cereus bloom super rarely? Like once every few years?

Or is it that they bloom consistently once they reach maturity, but mature specimens happen to be super rare in cultivation?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

FCKGW posted:

I love succulents.

It's definitely a Cereus based on the flowers. Might be hildmannianus?

Ok Comboomer posted:

Or is it that they bloom consistently once they reach maturity, but mature specimens happen to be super rare in cultivation?

I think most of the larger Cereus don't start flowering until they're 5+ years old which is probably what you're thinking of.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

that’s fuckin gorgeous, looks kind of like a cereus— but don’t cereus bloom super rarely? Like once every few years?

This guy seems to bloom every year but maybe for only a week or two.

It was super easy to grow, we just took a single clipping off my moms plant and stuck it in the ground and now it’s about 6 feet tall a couple years later.

Wallet posted:

I think most of the larger Cereus don't start flowering until they're 5+ years old which is probably what you're thinking of.

I think this is right, we didn’t have any buds appear until after a few years

Idlewild_
Sep 12, 2004

FCKGW posted:

I love succulents.

Beautiful! I remember when I was ten we were invited over to a family friend's house one night for a party for a cactus finally opening its first bloom at a maturity that had taken something like 20 years to reach. They're something special, all right.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bi-la kaifa posted:

I love everything about this. I want to become a dude with that kind of energy. I might even just get a pipe even if I don't smoke it.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

This thread has been quiet compared to the gardening thread the last few days. I hope everyone is just too busy doing plant things.

I just picked up some new trees (an Amelanchier alnifolia and a Malus sargentii) now that more nurseries are opening up but I'm a little overwhelmed trying to decide what else I want to do with the rest of the new beds I put in.

I picked up a Prunus glandulosa at a nursery a couple of weeks ago because it was a nice looking plant and I haven't seen them around here. It's just been dooting along with a bunch of buds on it but they've started to open and I'm getting excited about this little shrub's future.

Also a bonus picture of some of the fancy overpriced daffodils I put in last fall (these are cv. Chromacolor):

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Well drat, we finally bought and planted the 2 Stella cherry trees we've been thinking about since last year. That was 2 weeks ago, which seemed to be after the last frost of the year. But now NC (zone 7b) is getting another freeze warning for tomorrow morning. (30-32 degrees F)

I'm not 100% sure how old they are, I think like 1 year, they're about 2-3 feet tall and very skinny. I've already got mulch around the bases. It looks like it will only be tomorrow morning, then the temperature trends upwards again. Should I be worried?

I also have 4 young blueberry bushes that I planted last week. A bit less worried about those because they're less expensive and I've already seen other blueberry bushes come back from worse. But these are our first trees.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

Well drat, we finally bought and planted the 2 Stella cherry trees we've been thinking about since last year. That was 2 weeks ago, which seemed to be after the last frost of the year. But now NC (zone 7b) is getting another freeze warning for tomorrow morning. (30-32 degrees F)

I assume it's a quick freeze; if it's just going to dip down to 30-32 for a few hours and then go back to a normal temperature I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Plants that naturally grow in areas where spring can have late freezes tend to either push out foliage later in the season to avoid the issue or be able to handle a late freeze or two without major damage. The soil + mulch will stabilize the temperature for the roots.

Sir Lemming posted:

I also have 4 young blueberry bushes that I planted last week. A bit less worried about those because they're less expensive and I've already seen other blueberry bushes come back from worse. But these are our first trees.

I believe the freeze risk on blueberries is mostly an issue if it hits the blooms so this may depend on the variety you have and how far along they are. I don't think blueberries generally produce a lot the first year in the ground anyway but I am not a blueberry expert (or an anything expert, actually).

Wallet fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 21, 2021

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm not 100% sure how old they are, I think like 1 year, they're about 2-3 feet tall and very skinny. I've already got mulch around the bases. It looks like it will only be tomorrow morning, then the temperature trends upwards again. Should I be worried?

Hello fellow Stella cherry tree haver! :buddy:

I think it'll probably be okay. The delicate blossom phase is pretty much over at this point, and it's not dropping to hard frost levels of cold. If it hangs below freezing long enough, there might be some damage that'll reduce the amount of cherries you get, but it seems that probably won't stay cold long enough for significant damage.

Since your trees are so small, you could tent them with burlap - water them so the mulch is damp and then cover with burlap. The damp mulch will help regulate the temp under the burlap and the trees will be protected from icy wind. When we got hit with that really cold freeze (sub-25) right when blossoms were developing, we wrapped our much larger Stella in burlap (which was a pain because ours is pushing 9' tall), and got good results:

Blossoms came out with only a small minority showing signs of damage. So the burlap defense worked, the tree was hardier then we assumed, and/or the blossoms were at a less fragile state than we estimated.

Also: We were at the nursery last weekend to buy more irises and daylilies and one of the workers drove by on a utility vehicle and started asking us if we needed help/were finding everything okay and then suddenly was like "oh hey you guys bought the coral bark last year!" I was pleasantly surprised that they recognized us. This nursery has a handful of large older trees for sale and I guess it's a more notable/memorable event when one of them sells and gets installed (which was a fairly serious production).

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I have recently come into some large bins and am wondering if I might have more success with mushroom fruiting in a slightly more controlled environment

What would be the best way to turn these into mushroom fruiting chambers?

I figure hole drilling and hay may be involved

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

Jestery posted:

I have recently come into some large bins and am wondering if I might have more success with mushroom fruiting in a slightly more controlled environment

Lookup “shotgun fruiting chamber” to give you an idea. Basically a bunch of holes stuffed with media to keep bugs and other nasties out while allowing air exchange.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

So the top here is what I’d call plant separation day. I had saved the Aglaonemia from a very large plant that needed to be repotted and my wife was learning how to do plants. Well, she killed most of it, but I managed to root and grow three cuttings from the carcass. And now I can give away these two and this off shoot of an Alocasia (I think? She threw away all the labels and I don’t know houseplants well).

Then I have this monster of what I think may be Wisteria in my front yard. It’s been pruned into this shape over many years it appears and now I get to find out if I can learn how to prune it so it doesn’t look like a disaster for 5 months a year.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Jhet posted:

Then I have this monster of what I think may be Wisteria in my front yard. It’s been pruned into this shape over many years it appears and now I get to find out if I can learn how to prune it so it doesn’t look like a disaster for 5 months a year.

Are you sure they weren't trying to kill it? It may be one of those stupid things people do where they decide the best way to prune X is to chop it to the ground every year, but what the gently caress.

It sort of vaguely looks like it could be wisteria but if so whoever did the prior pruning did not do a good job. Would be easier to identify with foliage and, in an ideal world, flowers.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Sir Lemming posted:

Hell yeah for NCs schizophrenic weather. But I wouldn’t sweat it, especially for trees. I went and covered a bunch of poo poo tonight bc there’s a bunch of real tender new growth on perennials that just started coming up and I don’t feel like losing it to the wind chill after my last set back, so I’m probably being paranoid bc that was some 24 degree bullshit out of nowhere. But 32-34 is seriously just not that bad

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Reposted from the gbs OSHA thread, woot

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Wallet posted:

Are you sure they weren't trying to kill it? It may be one of those stupid things people do where they decide the best way to prune X is to chop it to the ground every year, but what the gently caress.

It sort of vaguely looks like it could be wisteria but if so whoever did the prior pruning did not do a good job. Would be easier to identify with foliage and, in an ideal world, flowers.

Yeah, it’s been butchered badly for years. There are old cuts of varying age. The only reason I didn’t immediately dig it out is that it may look really cool and I have a lot of other projects ahead of it. The plan is to see if it is what I think it might be. If it’s not resplendent with beauty this year I’ll just dig it out and put in something cool. It may happen anyway if I can’t figure out how to train it into growing up instead of sideways on the ground too.

There’s a small holly growing under it and I could train that into a nice shrub if I give it 10 years.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I watch all kinds of weird British crap and have an Acorn TV subscription on prime and Monty Don’s ‘The Secret History of the British Garden’ is on there and it’s really good. I just watched the one on the 17th century and it was cool. Very neat to see reconstructions of how a garden looked in 1690 (weird af with tiny pyramid topiaries EVERYWHERE) vs. how a garden planted in 1690 looks 300 years later.

‘Gardeners World’ is on Britbox too and I guess that’s what I’m watching for the next month.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Wallet posted:

Completely unrelated: You were talking about making an effort-post about garden design, and I have been wondering lately what people's general feelings on rocks in gardens are. I have a gravel/rock garden that has always had some larger stone in it, but I recently built a dry-stack retaining wall and I've been distributing some of the remnants of the three pallets of stone used for it in a bunch of the gardens and I'm finding that I'm a big fan of some nicely placed rock in among the plants to add texture.

Now I just need to make friends with someone that has construction equipment so I can find somewhere to steal some child-sized boulders to finish it off.
I was out of town and missed this but I really love big rocks in the garden, or even concrete and old bricks. It’s a nice place for lizards to hang out and lichens and mosses to grow and I do think it adds some nice textural variety. I think they can be real focal points too like a bird bath or just a Boulder that your eye can linger and focus on amidst all the plant chaos. We don’t really have native rocks here so I don’t have many but I think a few cool funky pavers or a concrete bench or something can do the same thing. I think a wall can add a ton of structure and really define the shape of a space and I wish I had a mossy, fig-vine-covered old brick wall around my yard instead of wooden fencing.

A friend of mine has a concrete rubble wall that he has all kinds of succulents and herbs tucked into little cracks of and it’s very neat, and there’s neon green moss on the shady parts. It’s like a mini rock garden within their not at all rocky, tropical Née Orleansy garden. He gets stoned and stares at all the tiny plants for hours, and it is one of those places where the closer you get, the more different kinds of tiny things you see. Spiderwebs and ants and lizards and all different color lichens. You don’t need a big space to have tons of variety!

Big ole rocks are neater to look at though and have so much funky variation. When they are local stones I think they add some terroir too. A big hunk of granite says ‘New England’ and some sandstone says ‘Tennessee’ or whatever. And those are some of my thoughts about rocks in the garden!

I went to Bayou Bend in Houston this weekend and it has some really neat gardens. They were a wreck from the freeze, but the way it was designed (slowly, and organically over many years) is really neat and it works as a bunch of different ‘rooms’ that are very pleasant to stroll through. I hope to go back in a few years in early spring when the azaleas and camellias have recovered a bit and are blooming. The Rienzi across the bayou also had some neat and similarly designed gardens-very shady and tropical looking. Houston is not the massive sun-baked hellswamp I always think it is and there’s some really nice gardens there.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

hi thread - super-stoked as this is the first serious plant growth I’ve ever had, and the first time I’ve re-potted any plant, so happy this zz plant I got in the dead of nyc winter isn’t super pissed over the pot migration:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I watch all kinds of weird British crap and have an Acorn TV subscription on prime and Monty Don’s ‘The Secret History of the British Garden’ is on there and it’s really good. I just watched the one on the 17th century and it was cool. Very neat to see reconstructions of how a garden looked in 1690 (weird af with tiny pyramid topiaries EVERYWHERE) vs. how a garden planted in 1690 looks 300 years later.

‘Gardeners World’ is on Britbox too and I guess that’s what I’m watching for the next month.

I wish the US had a gardening culture more like Britain's.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It depends on where you are I think? Houses without gardens and only a lawn are very rare in a lot of older neighborhoods. It’s the move to suburbanization that just skipped the gardening part in a lot of the country. Hell, some places let them cut all the trees and then they just throw down sod “because erosion”. Most people are intimidated by started a garden from nothing, and the half dead dirt under that sod really doesn’t help. But we don’t require it of developers, so we get what we don’t pay for.

There’s some good gardening culture in most parts of the country too, but it changes so much from region to region, and that’s pretty awesome.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Jhet posted:

It depends on where you are I think? Houses without gardens and only a lawn are very rare in a lot of older neighborhoods. It’s the move to suburbanization that just skipped the gardening part in a lot of the country. Hell, some places let them cut all the trees and then they just throw down sod “because erosion”. Most people are intimidated by started a garden from nothing, and the half dead dirt under that sod really doesn’t help. But we don’t require it of developers, so we get what we don’t pay for.

There’s some good gardening culture in most parts of the country too, but it changes so much from region to region, and that’s pretty awesome.

I mean... we do have a great gardening tradition in the South, but it doesn't seem as universal and cherished as Britain's? It's very much an old lady's hobby, and what media we do have is not on par with Gardener's World. I just want to see it grow.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I mean... we do have a great gardening tradition in the South, but it doesn't seem as universal and cherished as Britain's? It's very much an old lady's hobby, and what media we do have is not on par with Gardener's World. I just want to see it grow.

Partly that's because England is about the size of Georgia and partly because it's been a thing for 400 years.

I do blame crappy PBS shows for the state of gardening culture, and the way botanical centers tend to cater to exactly that 'old lady' crowd. I've never been to one and really enjoyed it because of that whole vibe and I love gardens. Youtube shows are much better when it comes to target audiences and just basic representation (but it's hard to sift through them all and find someone knowledgeable).

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think TV and air conditioning have alot to do with it. The KIDSADULTS THESE DAYS would rather go hang out at a bar all afternoon instead of playing in the dirt. Coupled with more and more younger people renting instead of owning houses etc etc. Felder Rushing is always trying to get people to get their kids gardening and I think that's important-I used to help my dad put in sprinklers and stuff and I think it made me like playing in the dirt. I think more and more millenials are interested in gardening, but I see much more interest in veg. gardening that ornamental. The 'eat local' movement got alot of people wanting to grow their own foods, but not as interested in growing pretty flowers, and gardening takes years and years-it's not instant gratification.

It's definitely a local thing too. Louisiana for whatever reason seems to have tons of great and interested gardeners of all ages. I think more people would like to garden than actually do but they don't know where to start and grass is pretty low-knowledge to maintain (and easy to hire out). The youtube about how to nail 2x4's is the same if you live in New England or Florida, but gardening advice isn't nearly so universal and finding good resources for XYZ local area can be intimidating.

We should make a list of good resources for XYZ area!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Jestery posted:

I saw this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHRgY8fZNv4 the other day, and thought of your adventures spreading mycelium!
Can anyone tell me what this youtuber's accent and/or dialect is? Certainly a local/regional USA English of some kind, but I'm unfamiliar with most.