Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

blue footed boobie posted:

Conor would be nuts to fight Paul. Paul fights a full 35lbs above Conor and anything other than an early KO would be hugely damaging to his reputation.

Are you worried about Jake Paul's reputation? because Conor has wasted away whatever good reputation he might have had with all the stupid poo poo he has done over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Stealth Tiger posted:

Honestly, Ben Askren should have more pride. He was on the wrong end of the quickest knockout in UFC history, and was tweeting jokes about it the next day. Now he gets run through by a youtuber. He should be embarrassed.

We all make fun of fighters when they come up with lovely excuses for losing fights, but I think that something like that is the rational response when getting extremely owned. It is weird that he isn't bothered by being a huge loser in front of large audiences, dollars be damned.

Why, though? Would you be embarrassed if you were a great hockey player and were beaten by a good amateur at basketball?

I don’t think the rational response to losing is throwing a tantrum, but you do you I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Jump King posted:

I'm calling my shot right now: Jake's next four opponents will be Fournier, ODLH, Chavez Jr, Mcgregor

ODLH is washed up but c'mon we haven't seen Jake against anyone with meaningful skill. Chavez Jr. Is a loss. Fournier is a toss up. Mcgregor is a good counter puncher and hit loving Floyd Mayweather with meaningful punches and I would bet to counter that telegraphed poo poo.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

pentyne posted:

For a second it looked like Ben thought it was an mma match where he'd grab the arm or something.

Grappling is the domain where Askren excels, and that's not a tactic that would work, especially with boxing gloves on.
All I'm saying is that, no matter what he was trying to do in there, he was certainly not trying to grab the arm off a punch at range.

blue footed boobie posted:

I had seen some of his mma fights and I was honestly surprised. He looked like he had absolutely no training in boxing. I don’t think he even threw a punch. He just clinched a few times and then walked at Paul with one arm outstretched before he was KO’d.
A problem lots of pure wrestlers have when transitioning to MMA is not being able to undo the stance and habits from your wrestling training. The sloppiness and lack of committing hips to punches was something Askren had throughout his MMA career, for the most part because he was able compensate for it in the MMA ruleset.

But yeah, all Askren needed to do was to slip constantly and not stay in front of that right hand, just like Teddy Atlas asked him to in their interview, but he couldn't be bothered to get into 1st gear for the fight.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

The Automator posted:

Why, though? Would you be embarrassed if you were a great hockey player and were beaten by a good amateur at basketball?

I don’t think the rational response to losing is throwing a tantrum, but you do you I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️

Because there are a bunch of people who wondered "what if you take a high level MMA guy, who has talent but in a different area, and a different style, and taught him boxing? What could he learn with some intense training?" And Ben Askren said "I don't wonder this, I just want to get paid".

And there were plenty of people who wanted to see him win! Plenty of people tweeted at Ben "Please knock this guy out, he's a dipshit". I am sure his friends called and texted him and told him they were rooting for him. There are people who would be happier living in the world where he won, and all he has to say after losing is "I'm not even a boxer, I'm just here for the money, you can't get mad at me"

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

You weren't supposed to pay for the ppv

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

He's a wrestler who has many achievements in wrestling. Why should he be ashamed that he earned a huge pile of cash for being a can in a sport he doesn't do? It's a cash grab for everyone involved so if that's what's shameful than everyone involved should be ashamed. If it's that he lost who gives a gently caress, it's a cash grab. And if it's to prove himself to people I don't think the accomplished wrestler with a destroyed hip needs to prove anything to anyone in a boxing ring. That money is keeping him warmer than any admiration will.

because he got knocked out by this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSlb1ezRqfA

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
you could not pay me enough money to click that play button

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

I hadn’t really known what Jake Paul was famous for except being a “YouTuber” before this, and I’m kinda blown away that he’s basically doing what every mainstream rapper has been doing since the mid 90’s except with the white person brand.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

you could not pay me enough money to click that play button

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hit Man posted:

Mcgregor [...] hit loving Floyd Mayweather with meaningful punches
ok let's not say anything we can't take back

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
if Jake Paul knocked out McGregor I would have to like and subscribe

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
edit:wrong thread

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

it's every round bro

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
https://twitter.com/badlefthook/status/1383909593030422529

Even if they're off by a half a million............

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think it would be very funny if Jake Paul continued to paste everybody as a rich celebrity who is just playing around with boxing and every time he fought somebody people say something like "ok but surely this time he's bitten off more than he can chew, this guy might be [old, small, an mma fighter], but they still have what it takes to put Jake in trouble" and then after the fight they start rattling off poo poo about how this latest opponent wasn't a credible threat.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I mean, it's not that different than all the overhyped fighters who receive a steady diet of carefully manager cans.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Automator posted:

If I pay someone half a mil to make a meal I expect them to make me something edible even if they're only a pastry chef.

If I pay someone half a mil to weed my garden I expect I won't see dandelions there tomorrow even if they're a tennis instructor

If I pay a wrestler half a mil to fight a youtube, I expect them to not go down one minute in the first round.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Jump King posted:

I think it would be very funny if Jake Paul continued to paste everybody as a rich celebrity who is just playing around with boxing and every time he fought somebody people say something like "ok but surely this time he's bitten off more than he can chew, this guy might be [old, small, an mma fighter], but they still have what it takes to put Jake in trouble" and then after the fight they start rattling off poo poo about how this latest opponent wasn't a credible threat.

He keeps getting me. Every time. The next opponent will surely beat him

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Jake Paul is eventually going to have to fight someone with a pulse if he keeps fighting and winning, as eventually it will be almost impossible to get fights sanctioned when the opponent is making their boxing debut.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Gaius Marius posted:

If I pay someone half a mil to make a meal I expect them to make me something edible even if they're only a pastry chef.

If I pay someone half a mil to weed my garden I expect I won't see dandelions there tomorrow even if they're a tennis instructor

If I pay a wrestler half a mil to fight a youtube, I expect them to not go down one minute in the first round.

lol at paying money to jake paul and then getting upset that it's not good. ben askren even weighed in looking like he retired 20 years ago. you could not have been more forewarned.

also lol at thinking conor would lose to jake paul because of a 35lb weight difference. they aren't even on the same planet in terms of skill. and jake paul does not hit harder, faster, or more precisely than loving dustin poirier. some of you people are weird.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Jack B Nimble posted:

I mean, it's not that different than all the overhyped fighters who receive a steady diet of carefully manager cans.

It's the most boxing part of this whole story.

Marching Powder posted:

and jake paul does not hit harder, faster, or more precisely than loving dustin poirier. some of you people are weird.

With the weight difference, I'd say he hits close to the neighborhood of as hard as Poirier.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

that fat gently caress shoulda been able to last more than one round.

in retrospect the fight before it was even more pathetic. fukcing low blow twenty feet from his balls absolutely pathetic

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Marching Powder posted:

also lol at thinking conor would lose to jake paul because of a 35lb weight difference. they aren't even on the same planet in terms of skill. and jake paul does not hit harder, faster, or more precisely than loving dustin poirier. some of you people are weird.

no one said he would lose I think, just that Conor would have to KO him really fast or it would damage his rep and that may be difficult since Jake Paul is heavier, and also that it would be really funny if Conor McGregor would get knocked out by Jake Paul, which it objectively would, if it happened

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

MotU posted:

no one said he would lose I think, just that Conor would have to KO him really fast or it would damage his rep and that may be difficult since Jake Paul is heavier, and also that it would be really funny if Conor McGregor would get knocked out by Jake Paul, which it objectively would, if it happened

i can assure you that having 35lbs more gym in your body will not stop an elite striker from loving killing a hobbyist boxer whenever he wants.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Marching Powder posted:

i can assure you that having 35lbs more gym in your body will not stop an elite striker from loving killing a hobbyist boxer whenever he wants.

I did not say the first thing, however I did say that it would be funny to see Conor McGregor get knocked out by Jake Paul, which I see you have not refuted. Please don't yell at me in one of your screeds for a thing I did not say.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

MotU posted:

I did not say the first thing, however I did say that it would be funny to see Conor McGregor get knocked out by Jake Paul, which I see you have not refuted. Please don't yell at me in one of your screeds for a thing I did not say.

yeah dude that would be super funny. epic stuff.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Also Conor could easily make up those 35 pounds in coke bloat

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Mr. F! posted:

He keeps getting me. Every time. The next opponent will surely beat him

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a3_PPdjD6mg

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I want to be clear that my stance is not that Jake Paul beats McGregor, its merely that they definitely will fight and each make 9 figures.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Jake Paul is eventually going to have to fight someone with a pulse if he keeps fighting and winning, as eventually it will be almost impossible to get fights sanctioned when the opponent is making their boxing debut.

The bar for what counts as "someone with a pulse" will gradually rise with each fight, is more what I'm thinking.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 19, 2021

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

Gaius Marius posted:

that fat gently caress shoulda been able to last more than one round.

Mir went to the scorecards

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

But...you didn’t pay him. Jake Paul paid him, and he got the exact result he was hoping for.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
It's a pretty clever publicity machine that the Paul brothers have built; pity that the top heavyweights can't seem to schedule their bouts as quickly.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
:rip: Magnus's $25

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1385076616540278789?s=19

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1385281486278955012?s=19

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm putting my money on Paul

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

30lbs? Floyd is toast.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Another cherry pick by Floyd, ducking Jake

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Marching Powder posted:

30lbs? Floyd is toast.

:lol: nah. Floyd is gonna school him.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Is that a Joke Jake literally has a hundred percent KO rate. Floyd has a fifty percent chance to knockout Jake, but Jake has a 100% chance of taking out floyd, add that to his 100% win rate. When you do the math Jake has a 200% chance of winning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

:lol: nah. Floyd is gonna school him.

you don't say?