Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm thinking it's either overwatering, or not enough food, but I'm not sure

It is a Meyer Lemon Plant. Zone 5b is too cold for it to be outside full time right now, so I put it out when it's 50F+ during the day and take it in when it's colder.

I've been trying my darndest not to overwater it, since it was already like a $30 plant, and I got a pot for it with a special drainage cavity that the water can rest in below where the dirt is, figuring, if I did overwater it, the water would be separate from the actual soil (there's even a rubber plug you can remove so it just flat out drains out the bottom from there too)

However, it doesn't seem to help. The gf had some fertilizer you mix into like, a gallon of water so I halved it to fit into a container I actually had, and when the top of the soil is dry down to the second knuckle I'd water it with that stuff, but it hasn't seemed to be helping too much. I've specifically not watered it for a few days, and got one of those soil moisturizer stakes that tell you if it's dry/moist/wet and stuck that in there, and it's currently saying "moist" so I'm using that to tell when I should water it (figuring once it starts to say dry again, to then water it).

What else do you think I should be doing here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I suspect zinc deficiency.

I treat it with zinc sulphate. It only takes something like a tenth of a gram.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Jhet posted:

Trellis is fine if it's big enough (but it won't be). Hops need a ton of space (could maybe get away with a 3' cube), so your container needs to be really very large or they'll be sad. Hops are beautiful and enormous plants with large root structure. I tried looking through my phone to see if I could find any pictures for scale, but I only have close ups because they're too big. I'd recommend taking a look at some pictures on google image search and see if it'll fit for you.

Hops grow fine on hills though, just mound up their crown a bit and maybe give them an edge to help with erosion and they'll be perfectly fine.

Thanks. I have about a 14x11 section of lattice, east-facing that gets a lot of morning sun and good mid-day sun, on my deck that I might try to use. I can plant them in the ground next to it and try to keep my dogs away from it I guess?

edit picture for reference, got the OK from my wife to add lattice to the ground and give it a shot. I could also plant on the left of this, that gets south sun but it's mostly indirect through the day.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 22, 2021

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

skylined! posted:

Thanks. I have about a 14x11 section of lattice, east-facing that gets a lot of morning sun and good mid-day sun, on my deck that I might try to use. I can plant them in the ground next to it and try to keep my dogs away from it I guess?

Yep. That would work great. Just keep your dogs from eating the cones especially. They're very bitter, so unless your dogs are dumb (it happens), they won't want to eat them. It tends to come up when brewers just toss their spent hops, which are covered in delicious barley sugar, into a compost pile or something. My dog never gave the plants a second glance, but I took care to dispose of the spent grain and hops where he couldn't get to it. If you want to be extra careful, you could build it a box to put on the ground. That would mimic the mounding technique that growers have used for a long time, and make it a little harder for the dog to reach maybe.

Cascade is a super good variety to grow too, its a very good and adaptable variety. Any friend of yours who brews would be happy to take those fresh cones off your hands.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Hi again. A few days ago I posted about getting some Thuja Green Giants in ahead of schedule. I planted two of them today. Here's how they looked coming out of the container. Is this good? Bad? I have no idea.

My question is about planting the rest of them. The first two were in relatively dry soil, but it gets wetter very fast as I move along the stretch these are being planted. This is the area I'd be planting the next one:

And here, running along that driveway, are where I'd be planting several more. You can there are basically a couple ponds running where I'd be planting the next trees. This is where I dug bushes out last year, and never got around to filling the holes back up with soil.

My question is about how long I should wait to be planting them. They need to go right where all that water is. Right now, all my unplanted trees are still in the containers they were shipped in. I presume I can't plant them in literal pools of water, right? I bought a bunch of ultra cheap disposable pots that are a bit bigger than what they came in, with the expectation that I might need to re-home them to bigger pots for a few weeks while we get past the wettest part of spring, and then fill those pits in with soil and plant them in early May. Is that my best bet?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I transplanted my wasabi to a larger pot with some pearlite-heavy potting mix and set it next to a north-facing window and it seems happy

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

CommonShore posted:

I transplanted my wasabi to a larger pot with some pearlite-heavy potting mix and set it next to a north-facing window and it seems happy

if you actually manage to grow harvestable amounts of wasabi a) king, b) please share with goons if you have extra

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chard posted:

if you actually manage to grow harvestable amounts of wasabi a) king, b) please share with goons if you have extra

Well that's probably a year off so we'll see how she goes

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

The Wonder Weapon posted:

My question is about how long I should wait to be planting them. They need to go right where all that water is. Right now, all my unplanted trees are still in the containers they were shipped in. I presume I can't plant them in literal pools of water, right? I bought a bunch of ultra cheap disposable pots that are a bit bigger than what they came in, with the expectation that I might need to re-home them to bigger pots for a few weeks while we get past the wettest part of spring, and then fill those pits in with soil and plant them in early May. Is that my best bet?

In general you're better off with the plants in the ground as long as it isn't freezing.

I haven't grown them but my recollection is that Arborvitae is subject to root rot. How well does your soil drain? You definitely don't want to site them in standing wander, and if you have ponds just hanging around for long periods you probably need to address your drainage in some fashion.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Platystemon posted:

I suspect zinc deficiency.

I treat it with zinc sulphate. It only takes something like a tenth of a gram.

How do you do this? dissolve it into water?

Is there an easier way to do this?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How do you do this? dissolve it into water?

Is there an easier way to do this?

It dissolves readily in water. I look up the rate recommended for treating crops commercial, divide it down to the approximate area of the canopy, as viewed from above, then use that.

quote:

One application of 5 to 10 pounds Zn per acre, 15 to 30 pounds of zinc sulfate (36 percent Zn) should be sufficient for two or three years of production. However, test the soil again to adjust the zinc recommendation for following years.

One pound per acre is, somewhat conveniently, about ten milligrams per square foot. If you’re with a square foot, give it at least a hundred and fifty and no more than three hundred milligrams. For small plants, I dissolve it in the same amount of water I would use when watering the plant, and then do that. Err on the side of underapplication because it acts fast and you can always give it a second dose if symptoms improve but do not fully lift.

I will now quote some paragraphs that follow the one I quoted above because they’re good to know.

quote:

In season, zinc deficiency may be corrected by spraying the crop with a 0.5 percent zinc sulfate solution (1 percent for potatoes) at the rate of 20 to 30 gallons per acre. A 0.5 percent solution is prepared by adding 41⁄2 pounds zinc sulfate (36 percent Zn) to 100 gallons of water. Include a surfactant (wetting agent). Foliar applications are effective in greening foliage but are not as effective in producing yield response. Consider them as a salvage measure.

The most common inorganic source is zinc sulfate. It is considered an excellent source of zinc whether applied as a granular material in a bulk blend or incorporated into solid or liquid fertilizers. Zinc oxide is another inorganic source of zinc that is effective when incorporated into solid or liquid fertilizers. Avoid applying granular zinc oxide on calcareous soils due to its low solubility. Zinc fertilizers should be at least 40-50% water soluble to supply adequate plant available zinc. Organic zinc sources (chelates) also are available and generally are more effective per pound of zinc than inorganic sources. Some of these materials have been shown to be three to five times as effective as the inorganic sources. Effective zinc chelates may be used at about one- third the rate of inorganic products.

https://extension.colostate.edu/docs/pubs/crops/00545.pdf

The first paragraph is as simple as it sounds. A fine surfactant is dish soap, just a few drops. You can use an ordinary spray bottle. You don’t need a special ultrasonic fogging tractor attachment or anything like that. This acts in old growth, unlike a soil application that’s only good for new leaves.

Chelated zinc is fine; it’s the silver bullet option, but you probably don’t need it. Chelated versions of any deficient metal can be a bandage for serious soil problems.

Now here’s some more zinc deficiency information from Florida.

quote:

Zinc deficiency has traditionally been the most widespread deficiency in citrus. Zinc deficiency is commonly known as “rosette” or “frenching” in Florida. Rosetting does not usually occur in citrus. Zinc deficiency symptoms are characterized by irregular green bands along the midrib and main veins on a background of light yellow to almost white. The relative amounts of green and yellow tissue vary from a condition of mild Zn deficiency in which there are only small yellow patches between the larger lateral veins to a condition in which only a basal portion of the midrib is green and the remainder of the leaf is light yellow to white.

In less acute stages, the leaves are almost normal in size, while in severe cases the leaves are pointed, abnormally narrow with the tendency to stand upright, and extremely reduced in size. In mild cases, Zn deficiency symptoms appear on occasional weak twigs. Fruit formed on these twigs are drastically reduced in size and have an unusually smooth light-colored thin skin and very low juice content.

As Zn deficiency progresses, leaves are affected over the entire periphery of the tree and twigs become thin and die back rapidly. A profuse development of “water sprouts” occurs on the main branches and trunk with leaves free of deficiency symptoms. Fruit grown on these water sprouts are large, coarse and woody. The tree has dense growth in the center and a dying appearance over its periphery, which give the tree a very bushy appearance. Affected leaves have irregular chlorotic areas between the leaf veins. As they develop, new leaves become progressively smaller. The number of blossoms and fruit set is greatly reduced, and fruit that are produced are of poor quality.

Zinc deficiency symptoms can be so severe that they may mask or noticeably alter the symptoms of other deficiencies or disorders. Deficiencies of Mg and Cu can also reduce Zn uptake through root injury, giving rise to characteristic symptoms of Zn deficiency, even though there is sufficient available Zn in the soil. A Zn deficiency can develop due to soil depletion or formation of insoluble Zn compounds. Excessive P or N can also induce or aggravate Zn deficiency. Soils receiving large and frequent amounts of poultry manure often show deficiency symptoms.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ss423

They’re not wrong, but if you have symptoms of zinc deficiency, and you don’t have any reason to suspect anything else is at play, and you don’t have a laboratory at your beck and call for a positive confirmation, the thing to do is to treat for zinc deficiency and see what happens.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Is raw wool any use in the garden? I have a line on basically infinity raw wool, in the rawest bale form. I'm thinking that it might be alright to keep around for insulating my cold frames in the fall but then I also have to store it until then....

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

CommonShore posted:

Is raw wool any use in the garden? I have a line on basically infinity raw wool, in the rawest bale form. I'm thinking that it might be alright to keep around for insulating my cold frames in the fall but then I also have to store it until then....

spin the wool into fiber, fiber into thread, sell the thread to pay for gardening supplies

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Irrigation

Gotta build a trellis for these cucumbers.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

Irrigation

Gotta build a trellis for these cucumbers.

looks excellent although the gif is giving me acid flashbacks

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

Chard posted:

looks excellent although the gif is giving me acid flashbacks

For real, what the heck is going on here

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I started all these sunflowers inside and now I don't know where I'm going to put them outside 😬

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I started all these sunflowers inside and now I don't know where I'm going to put them outside 😬

I have a very similar problem with sunchokes. I gave away a bunch and only keeping the damaged or sprouted ones, I still have way more than I started with last year and way more than I need.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

oh hey it's me except with all my plants for my entire garden

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Paradoxish posted:

oh hey it's me except with all my plants for my entire garden

Yeah, I have double eggplant and okra starts now myself. Along with extra super hot pepper plants, and basically everything except for cucumbers.

I normally only start extra peppers, but I’ve not started the eggplant and okra from seed before and well, oops? I’ll have to give them away so someone else can care for or kill them.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Jhet posted:

Yeah, I have double eggplant and okra starts now myself. Along with extra super hot pepper plants, and basically everything except for cucumbers.

I normally only start extra peppers, but I’ve not started the eggplant and okra from seed before and well, oops? I’ll have to give them away so someone else can care for or kill them.

Years ago I apparently deeply internalized people saying "starting from seed is hard!" so now I always end up starting way too many plants even though I've never, ever had an issue with germination. So now my back porch is just filled with plants that I've had to repot into bigger containers because I don't know where they're going to go. Doesn't help that crazy lumber prices have my garden expansion in limbo at the moment.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Hello garden thread.

I'm looking for resources on DIY greenhouses. Mostly small and low budget. I get a zillion results on youtube and pinterest, but am wondering if there are any, just, websites that will teach me about their working principals, dos and donts, basic plans and the like. I've made a raised garden box for my gf and am considering going further.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Paradoxish posted:

Years ago I apparently deeply internalized people saying "starting from seed is hard!" so now I always end up starting way too many plants even though I've never, ever had an issue with germination. So now my back porch is just filled with plants that I've had to repot into bigger containers because I don't know where they're going to go. Doesn't help that crazy lumber prices have my garden expansion in limbo at the moment.

I just added hooks and hanging baskets around my garden area for more places to dump starts that I don't have room for.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Red columbines are a very cool plant.

I’ve been slowly ripping out the massive amount of ivy that was just about the only decorative plant around the house when we bought it. I’m mostly trying to replace it with native plants with some non invasive other things. Blurred in the background are some Virginia bluebells and phlox stonolifera. Also planted some cardinal flowers, a painted trillium, maidenhair fern, a mountain laurel and a couple of red chokeberries that I’m very excited to see in the fall.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

z0331 posted:

Red columbines are a very cool plant.

I’ve been slowly ripping out the massive amount of ivy that was just about the only decorative plant around the house when we bought it. I’m mostly trying to replace it with native plants with some non invasive other things. Blurred in the background are some Virginia bluebells and phlox stonolifera. Also planted some cardinal flowers, a painted trillium, maidenhair fern, a mountain laurel and a couple of red chokeberries that I’m very excited to see in the fall.

Where are you sourcing your local stuff? I've mostly focused on our vegetable garden but my wife has struggled to find native plants for our new place in Maryland beyond some meadow mixes for bare patches.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Chad Sexington posted:

Where are you sourcing your local stuff? I've mostly focused on our vegetable garden but my wife has struggled to find native plants for our new place in Maryland beyond some meadow mixes for bare patches.

We're in NJ and actually have a nearby nursery with a surprising number of natives. They don't have quite everything I'm looking for, but I've been able to grab a few things or good alternatives. They even have native hydrangeas, which I plan to pick up when they put them out in a week or so.

Have you checked with a local ag extension program? I've looked at the one for Rutgers and, when I was helping my mom try to find natives, UMaine and both had (probably somewhat old/outdated) lists of nurseries that sold native plants.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Just a heads up to gardeners in MN and surrounding areas - https://www.startribune.com/jumping-worm-invasion-upends-spring-plant-sale-season/600049305/.

Basically we have crazy wiggly invasive worms that are causing a lot of damage to gardens, causing erosion, and just being a general menace. Watch where you get your plants and mulch from!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Count Roland posted:

Hello garden thread.

I'm looking for resources on DIY greenhouses. Mostly small and low budget. I get a zillion results on youtube and pinterest, but am wondering if there are any, just, websites that will teach me about their working principals, dos and donts, basic plans and the like. I've made a raised garden box for my gf and am considering going further.

Hey Count Roland

I don't know about websites specifically, but I too have been educating myself on the same stuff over the last winter. I have found that this guy's channel is pretty good, and he has a series in which he builds a tool-shed sized greenhouse from the ground up with basic home centre materials:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv9ITE5nuShQ37Xd-NVkdcg

You could also use "polytunnel" as a keyword for searching for info. This guy does a ton of work in his polytunnels and I learned quite a bit from him over the winter:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq9U-gJ1LtDCE4W5BhEDFSQ

FWIW it's worth I'm putting up a 1200 square foot greenhouse this week (I hope), and I found that it wasn't that much different in price just to buy the thing prefab from steel and purpose-made poly sheets than to build the thing myself from home-store materials.

From what I've seen the two big questions if you're greenhousing are 1) how do I want to grow, and 2) how do I want to water, which I guess are basic garden questions. There are a few things with making sure that you have air circulation and ventillation, and that you're tracking temperatures, but none of that has struck me as being much other than intuitive (i.e. it works exactly how you'd expect it should, if you've ever dealt either with structures, or with gardens, or garden structures). If you want to do all-season growing there are a few more things to consider.

If building out of lumber make sure to use pressure-treated lumber (not the green poo poo) anywhere that will be in contact with the soil, and if you're using PVC pipes, not to let the PVC contact the poly directly - put an intermediary layer like white gorilla tape in between because I guess PVC can react with and degrade poly.

You can message at me in the FI discord if you want to do garden chat, too. There are at least two other regulars in there who are experienced growers.

guri
Jun 14, 2001

Paradoxish posted:

On the other hand that's how I've always operated but this year I thought "I'll just start just about exactly as much as I need" and now am going oh poo poo oh poo poo because some things aren't going quite as I expected.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

guri posted:

On the other hand that's how I've always operated but this year I thought "I'll just start just about exactly as much as I need" and now am going oh poo poo oh poo poo because some things aren't going quite as I expected.

This is the 2nd year running I’ve forgotten that you can create infinite extra tomato plants by just snapping off a sucker and potting it up.

So I have probably 3x what I need.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Hey Count Roland

I don't know about websites specifically, but I too have been educating myself on the same stuff over the last winter. I have found that this guy's channel is pretty good, and he has a series in which he builds a tool-shed sized greenhouse from the ground up with basic home centre materials:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv9ITE5nuShQ37Xd-NVkdcg

You could also use "polytunnel" as a keyword for searching for info. This guy does a ton of work in his polytunnels and I learned quite a bit from him over the winter:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq9U-gJ1LtDCE4W5BhEDFSQ

FWIW it's worth I'm putting up a 1200 square foot greenhouse this week (I hope), and I found that it wasn't that much different in price just to buy the thing prefab from steel and purpose-made poly sheets than to build the thing myself from home-store materials.

From what I've seen the two big questions if you're greenhousing are 1) how do I want to grow, and 2) how do I want to water, which I guess are basic garden questions. There are a few things with making sure that you have air circulation and ventillation, and that you're tracking temperatures, but none of that has struck me as being much other than intuitive (i.e. it works exactly how you'd expect it should, if you've ever dealt either with structures, or with gardens, or garden structures). If you want to do all-season growing there are a few more things to consider.

If building out of lumber make sure to use pressure-treated lumber (not the green poo poo) anywhere that will be in contact with the soil, and if you're using PVC pipes, not to let the PVC contact the poly directly - put an intermediary layer like white gorilla tape in between because I guess PVC can react with and degrade poly.

You can message at me in the FI discord if you want to do garden chat, too. There are at least two other regulars in there who are experienced growers.

Thanks for the links and the tips. I'll decline the discord invite-- I don't know enough yet to ask good questions, and need to confer with the gf on what we're actually doing before proceeding much further. In the meantime, I'll go through those channels.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

So there was a bit of a winter event this year in Texas. You know minor thing, was 4°F, whole cities lost water due to burst pipes, entire state's unregulated power grid collapsed resulting in over 100 dead, etc.

Annnnnyway. My blueberries were starting to bud out before it happened, so we had another migration this year. They huddled next to the garage for warmth:

Even though the halogen lamps which were under the tarps to provide heat failed due to the state being run but a bunch of incompetent fuckwits who intentionally cut the state off from other grids to avoid federal regulations harming their oil buddy's profit margin, they survived:

Last year some squirrel figured out that it could chew through plastic and went through my bird netting. This year I moved the tomato enclosure over the blueberries because gently caress that squirrel.

I crushed one of my blackberry bushes while moving it but The more I neglect the thing the better it does so I'm sure it will explode this year.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Count Roland posted:

Thanks for the links and the tips. I'll decline the discord invite-- I don't know enough yet to ask good questions, and need to confer with the gf on what we're actually doing before proceeding much further. In the meantime, I'll go through those channels.

I mean we're already in that discord together so you can just shoot questions at us there if you ever feel like doing garden chat, which happens quite a bit in the off topic channel already.

Another thing I forgot to mention earlier was your growing zone and your plans for seasonal growing. There will be different design considerations for a zone 3 4-season greenhouse than for a zone 6 3 season one.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Well that was fast. Cascade hops plants showed up today, so had to get the rest of the lattice up, and also make little barricades so my male dog wouldn't immediately mark them. Hops vendor is on the nursery container.

The culprit. Fucker pissed on my garbage bin full of dirt while I was planting the hops.

Confederate jasmine is starting to really latch onto the lattice - this is maybe 3 weeks in with plants that were 2-3 feet tall when I got them.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Does anyone know what is wrong with my two bushes on the ends?

The middle one is growing as normal. It had flowers a few weeks ago and now the leaves are all growing. Normally all three do this at this time every year.

The two on the end seem to have stalled or stunted or something. I'm not sure what the issue is. They have water, and nothing has changed from year to year.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
*weeping*

Something keeps eating every single leaf off every pepper plant I put outside. I grew them pretty big and healthy, hardened them off correctly, they were thriving in the ground for a few weeks and then i come out and everything is stripped away.

Every lettuce plant too.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
You’ve got deer or bunnies. Time to fence up BRAH

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Oil of Paris posted:

You’ve got deer or bunnies. Time to fence up BRAH

Ah poo poo bunnies make sense. Tons of them around here. Weird how they dont care about other poo poo I plant.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
FogHelmut’s problem could also be rodent/lagomorph damage to the base of the shrubs.

My first thought was mites, though. The photos don’t rule them out, but they don’t confirm them either. Look at the leaves under a loupe and see if you can see the beasts and/or the mess they leave behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

FogHelmut posted:

Does anyone know what is wrong with my two bushes on the ends?

The middle one is growing as normal. It had flowers a few weeks ago and now the leaves are all growing. Normally all three do this at this time every year.

The two on the end seem to have stalled or stunted or something. I'm not sure what the issue is. They have water, and nothing has changed from year to year.

Those look like loropetalum which are usually pretty damned tough. Are they recently planted? The fact that they are next to each other but one is undamaged makes me think a nutrient or drainage problem of some sort? Some sort of bug is also definitely possible. Did your area get any of the weird texas/Mississippi valley freeze a few weeks ago? It could be some frost damage or something.