Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

RillAkBea posted:

= Gundam has a disappointing number of stickers for a modern mainline HG.

http://schizophonic9.com/re7/hguc_xi.html

It looks...OK, I guess? But it doesn't exactly spark joy.

The comparison shots to the Robot Damashii figure don't help either. It just looks so ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The redesigned Xi makes me so depressed, because while it isn't quite up there with like, the Penelope, which is and will probably forever be the only HG I will ever get, I still love it a lot. But man, the redesign just washes out so much and bulks out a bunch of parts for as far as I can tell no good reason? A bunch of stuff on the HG just ends up looking straight out out of proportion compared side by side to the robot damashii, not to mention all the plain rear end white. It's so weird.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Any advice for MG Zaku ii 2.0 tubes? I ended up cracking one because I pushed it too hard. It looks like something I can easily fix with some superglue and gunpla putty though. Related to that, should I get a special gunpla glue for that or is gorilla glue and a regular brand of gunpla putty ok?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

hostess with the Moltres posted:

Any advice for MG Zaku ii 2.0 tubes? I ended up cracking one because I pushed it too hard. It looks like something I can easily fix with some superglue and gunpla putty though. Related to that, should I get a special gunpla glue for that or is gorilla glue and a regular brand of gunpla putty ok?

My best advice is just to ignore the suggested method. Go one by one clipping the soft plastic as close to the ring as you can and pull them off, clip the next one etc. The soft plastic tends to bulge out a little which blocks the ring and offers most of the resistance. You may also want to wear some thin gloves or put a thin cloth over your hand to save your skin a little when pulling them off.

As for the fix, it depends on the type of break/condition of the parts. On the low end you can get away with just some poly cement.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So explain this to me, because the MG Zaku tubes are a meme that won't die. Are they moulded as whole pieces or does each individual tube come in two parts that snap together like a wristwatch? I've only built RG Zakus so those tubing bits are super easy to assemble while the MG sounds like hell.

Is the Hi-NU a general release RG or is it going to be a Premium Bandai?

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

Arcsquad12 posted:

So explain this to me, because the MG Zaku tubes are a meme that won't die. Are they moulded as whole pieces or does each individual tube come in two parts that snap together like a wristwatch? I've only built RG Zakus so those tubing bits are super easy to assemble while the MG sounds like hell.

The tube segments are each molded as a single piece, but as a separate injection AROUND a long cylinder of plastic.

The idea is that you can clip the gates and slide each piece of tube off of the cylinder on to its destination part (or spring). In practice the sliding is extremely hard to do.

YanniRotten fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 26, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
To use a tortured simile because this is the best way I can describe my mental image, it's like a popsicle around a stick, except the stick is glued in place.

That sounds like a 3.0 that uses the hollow RG style runners is long overdue.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Hi-Nu is going to be a regular release, but there may be a P-Bandai heavy weapons set in the future.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well that's something to look forward to, then.

I haven't built a new model in months and I really want to sink my teeth into a good 1/144 scale kit. UC or AU models fine, I just need something to occupy me for a while. I'd like to try more of the IBO High Grades but their skeletal abdomen section is really loose on all the kits I've built.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 26, 2021

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
It only looks easy, but the problem is that the plastic stick in which the tube segments are molded around is wider in places than in the places there are no tube segments.

Speaking for myself, I found the easiest way was to use tweezers to force along the tube segments.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well that's something to look forward to, then.

I haven't built a new model in months and I really want to sink my teeth into a good 1/144 scale kit. UC or AU models fine, I just need something to occupy me for a while. I'd like to try more of the IBO High Grades but their skeletal abdomen section is really loose on all the kits I've built.

X and Double X are good. The Origin Zaku 2 is also a nice build.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I didn't realize the X was from 2013. Is it based on the redesigned limb connections or does it use the older ball and socket legs?

Also, if I use HLJ instead of Amazon am I going to save any money? I'm paying in CAD so I have to do some conversions from the USD prices.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I didn't realize the X was from 2013. Is it based on the redesigned limb connections or does it use the older ball and socket legs?

Also, if I use HLJ instead of Amazon am I going to save any money? I'm paying in CAD so I have to do some conversions from the USD prices.

The X uses ball and socket legs, unfortunately. It was pretty much caught right in the middle of the switchover. Modern joints for the arms, old school for the legs.

And it really depends on the kit, how much you're getting, current rates, and so on. Sometimes Amazon prices are quite reasonable, and the shipping for HLJ would eat the savings. Other times, Amazon is wildly overpriced. Can't give a verdict without knowing a lot more details.

As for IBO kits, might be worth picking up a Rodi if you haven't. Less frame means they're a bit less likely to loosen up.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Heads up, Target is carrying Gundam models now. It's only like five different HGs but if you want to get a Gundam with your groceries, now you can.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I might go for some Reconquista Grunt suits. The Jahennam looks like a nice Zaku-Lite and I've wanted the Build Divers Red Beret Grimoire for a while.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i got me a Woundwort, it's my fav HG kit so far

quick and unique build, if you get a chance to get one for near retail cost you shouldn't pass it up

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I feel like my taste in suits may be wrong but I like the Xi movie design way more than the katoki/ damashii version. It's just so unique.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The savings from HLJ prices will usually be partly made up by the shipping price.

I still go with HLJ for stock and other things though.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Argas posted:

The savings from HLJ prices will usually be partly made up by the shipping price.

I still go with HLJ for stock and other things though.

Yeah, like the local Hobbytown matches all the US prices for stuff but stock is such an annoyance I usually end up ordering things online

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Thank you to those who suggested SIMP decals, I can now display the correct markings on my Ground™ Desert GM/GM

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Re: Dry transfers. Doing one thing differently totally changed my mind on them. When I started Gunplay a year ago, the concept of a dry transfer was totally new to me, having build basically only Lego and metric tons of tabletop games' models. All I knew were stickers and waterslide transfers, which I mostly dislike. Looking up tutorials on how to use dry transfers the most common advice was to cut the transfer out, use some adhesive tape to fix the cutout piece in place and then use some hard object, like a pen, to rub it on. That whole process was super fiddly, not really fun and did not really work for me.

Now I am just holding the whole sheet* in the position I want the transfer to be and rub it on with my thumbnail. Afterwards I just gently apply some pressure on it with some dishcloth. This is both much quicker and more accurate for me than the other method. Today I am using up the whole transfer sheet and I am actually looking forward to doing that, as it adds so much to the model in my opinion.

*Yes, unfortunately, there are still some sticker positions where you have to cut part of the sheet into a shape that you can actually apply to the model.

Zodack posted:

Thank you to those who suggested SIMP decals, I can now display the correct markings on my Ground™ Desert GM/GM

This looks great! Which grade is it, please? I need more grunt suits in my life (, but I am limiting myself to building only MGs).

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tarquinn posted:

This looks great! Which grade is it, please? I need more grunt suits in my life (, but I am limiting myself to building only MGs).

It's a repainted HG. The GM/GM came out a few years back with the Build Fighters OVA and is one of the better grunts. Not much gear, but three heads

There is a MG GM, though. Well, there's a bunch of them, but the closest one up to modern standards is the GM 2.0. The best modern GM MG is the Sniper II.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

chiasaur11 posted:

It's a repainted HG. The GM/GM came out a few years back with the Build Fighters OVA and is one of the better grunts. Not much gear, but three heads

There is a MG GM, though. Well, there's a bunch of them, but the closest one up to modern standards is the GM 2.0. The best modern GM MG is the Sniper II.

Ah, too bad. Thanks. Awesome paint job!

I have looked at most MG Grunt suits, I think, and except for three, of which I own already two (Sniper II, Jesta), the rest are just too old and look too plain.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tarquinn posted:

Ah, too bad. Thanks. Awesome paint job!

I have looked at most MG Grunt suits, I think, and except for three, of which I own already two (Sniper II, Jesta), the rest are just too old and look too plain.

You might be surprised.

In the last few years, there's been a decent amount of grunts. Going in reverse chronological order for some decent-to-good ones released since the Jesta...

The just-released GINN
Jegan (A bit basic, but good)
GM Command
GM Sniper Custom

and the Geara Doga.

Going back further, the Rezel is nicely detailed, if a little weighed down by the gimmicks, and the GM 2.0 is a really solid build, as is the Zaku II 2.0. Not as much surface detail as some, but the inner frames are great.

Worth checking out, if you haven't given them a look.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
When did the MG Geara Doga come out? If has to be relatively recent, right?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

When did the MG Geara Doga come out? If has to be relatively recent, right?

Newer than the Jesta, older than the Sazabi ver Ka.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

chiasaur11 posted:

You might be surprised.

In the last few years, there's been a decent amount of grunts. Going in reverse chronological order for some decent-to-good ones released since the Jesta...

The just-released GINN
Jegan (A bit basic, but good)
GM Command
GM Sniper Custom

and the Geara Doga.

Going back further, the Rezel is nicely detailed, if a little weighed down by the gimmicks, and the GM 2.0 is a really solid build, as is the Zaku II 2.0. Not as much surface detail as some, but the inner frames are great.

Worth checking out, if you haven't given them a look.

Thanks again! Three of those were already on my wish list for further purchases, it turns out, but I have added the sniper custom. :3:

The whole GINN series is also awesome (and heck most of the Seed designs are), but I am limiting my collection to Wing and UC, because display space is actually becoming an issue.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Monaghan posted:

I feel like my taste in suits may be wrong but I like the Xi movie design way more than the katoki/ damashii version. It's just so unique.

There are bits i like more, like the less standard gundam face and the big v-fin on the chest, but making the torso primarily white is a terrible choice that makes the whole design difficult to parse.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Tarquinn posted:

chisaur got it already, but this is the second time I've been asked the grade of the kit so it makes me feel good that my HG has at least some chance of being mistaken for an MG. One of the best things about the GM/GM is it hides virtually every single panel line in its construction. I think the only ones I had to fill were on the side of the chest and the head.

As for MGs, the GM Sniper Custom is the gold standard imo of excellent MG grunt suits. Disclaimer: I haven't built an MG in 5 years but I do own the MG GM Sniper collecting dust to be my "first custom MG" kit (eventually)

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The GM/GM has some really crazy joints too. It's just super flexible and it's kind of a shame the Leo and other cheap grunts aren't quite as good, though that's primarily down to the torso.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Arcsquad12 posted:

In my experience, no. Especially not right now when you can't get the cheapest Japan Post shipping (At least, you couldn't the last time I ordered, lmk if that's changed)
Probably wouldn't be too hard to add some equivalent poo poo to two carts and see what the difference is. I'd be interested.

Especially if you're going by Bandai's own Amazon.ca store. I just paid $105 plus tax for Machinedramon from my LCS/General Nerdery, so that's including their markup, and Amazon.ca has it for $116 pre-tax/shipping and says it's not even out yet. (edit: Nevermind, that's not Bandai's own page; I thought it was)

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 27, 2021

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
now that Japan's getting their master grade Mk-Vs when should we lowly westerners expect to receive ours

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

muike posted:

now that Japan's getting their master grade Mk-Vs when should we lowly westerners expect to receive ours

If you got it from p-bandai US, June

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Waiting on my Xi vs Penelope Funnel set to cross the ocean. I want to feel that heft.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if this Takemikazuchi Type-00R and this Takemikazuchi Type-00R are the same thing?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MJP posted:

Does anyone know if this Takemikazuchi Type-00R and this Takemikazuchi Type-00R are the same thing?

The 1999 version is better. I had a quick glance to double-check and 1999 also has a separate listing with the same pictures as the HLJ version. I'd assume the 1.5 version's better engineering-wise, or at least seems to have more weapons and accessories.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The hlj one is the 1/144 scale one. Not great. The other one is the non scale. Slightly smaller than a MG. Pretty good engineering. It's the one you want.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Are there any reviews out there of the 1.5 non scale? Not like I can actually afford it atm but I'm going through Muv-Luv right now and there's a nonzero chance I'm gonna want one eventually by the end, so adding it to my wishlist couldn't hurt.

But that's assuming the color separation is good and it looks fine without needing too much paint.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I wrote some words a out them a month or so ago. Check my posts in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Why does micro sol and micro set have to always make my hands smell like cat piss? Are they anomia based or smth?