Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

Got my first AZ shot about an hour ago, and am already very tired. I expected that though, I react strongly and quickly to everything.

So good to see canada goons get vaccinated. I felt zonked and had a very mild temp increase t+18h but felt fine in 24h. A++ will jab again with whatever we get next.

Should be studies out in the next month regarding going first shot AZ -> mRNA booster which I'm pretty curious about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

2nd Pfizer shot yesterday. Had weird fever dreams, then couldn't sleep, was hot as gently caress. Today I've been extremely tired in waves where I'm fine for a few hours, then completely exhausted. Napping hasn't helped much. Arm way more sore than the first shot.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sjs00 posted:

I want to chime in and say that my friend got his final chest reconstruction surgery this month and he was only required to get tested ; this is one of those people who claimed " I already had it (January 2020) " He absolutely does not have the vaccine, they put him under the knife
It might just be FL but absolutely do not assume even baseline safety practice really anywhere

Ok but I wouldn’t have expected him to get the vaccine prior to surgery. That’s been pretty common.

They expect the patients to self quarantine and get tested prior to surgery.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Got my second Moderna poke this morning and am feeling fine 11 hours later, which is about when my wife said she started to get wrecked.

Pray 4 me goons.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

dwarf74 posted:

What's the reporting lag on this? Because I'm hoping this is at least partially a reporting lag. Hoping desperately.

Unlucky7 posted:

I think this was mentioned in the other thread, but could it be because we are on the tail end of people who are privileged enough to be able to have time away from their jobs/responsibilities to go out and get vaccinated? If anything else, we should try to make it easier to be vaccinated?

Yeah a whole bunch of counties all across the US are telling the feds to stop sending so many doses every week because interest in first doses has just dropped off to zero

quote:

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — Louisiana has stopped asking the federal government for its full allotment of COVID-19 vaccine. About three-quarters of Kansas counties have turned down new shipments of the vaccine at least once over the past month. And in Mississippi, officials asked the federal government to ship vials in smaller packages so they don't go to waste.

As the supply of coronavirus vaccine doses in the U.S. outpaces demand, some places around the country are finding there's such little interest in the shots, they need to turn down shipments.

"It is kind of stalling. Some people just don't want it," said Stacey Hileman, a nurse with the health department in rural Kansas' Decatur County, where less than a third of the county's 2,900 residents have received at least one vaccine dose.
https://www.nola.com/news/coronavirus/vaccine/article_22bf01be-a454-11eb-99ca-bb85fb400dcd.html

quote:

Fourteen counties have asked the state to stop sending new first doses of the COVID-19 vaccine to them, at least for next week, says the Oregon Health Authority.

Clatsop, Coos, Grant, Harney, Hood River, Jackson, Jefferson, Lake, Malheur, Morrow, Umatilla, Union, Wallowa and Wheeler counties don’t want at least first doses; some also don’t want second doses.

Some counties, including Grant, Harney and Lake, have asked the state to halt deliveries for the past three weeks.
https://www.wweek.com/news/state/2021/04/22/fourteen-oregon-counties-have-asked-the-state-to-stop-sending-prime-doses-of-covid-19/

quote:

Seventeen Arkansas counties won't receive additional doses of coronavirus vaccine, aside from those designated as second doses of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines' two-dose regimens, under the state vaccination program next week as the state attempts to reduce its inventory, records show.

The counties include Craighead, the state's seventh-largest, and Miller, the 16th-largest.

In Pulaski County, the largest, the number of initial doses of Pfizer and Moderna going to providers under the state program will drop by 74%, from 34,510 this week to 8,820 next week.
https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2021/apr/24/17-counties-cut-back-on-doses/?latest

Etc etc etc

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
About 12 hours out and I feel a bit tired, I think I had a slight fever but overall nothing really to complain about

Not sure what tomorrow's gonna bring

I also feel a bit foggy and tbh I'm not sure what I did today but maybe that's just normal

EDIT: also, legs and body feel a bit heavy

Seth Pecksniff fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 29, 2021

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Every Sunday I've been looking at the CDC website to see how the vaccine rollout has been going since it first started. In the first months every state was roughly keeping the same pace in terms of % vaccinated with a few weird outliers like Alaska being way ahead.

Over the past few weeks I've been noticing a gap appear across states where some are still hauling rear end upwards and others are stagnating.

You know how any map you look at that charts out some sort of public health issue across states and the.... usual suspects.... are always there.

Same pattern is emerging here

The deep south is going to be a permanent breeding ground

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Just to add a little context, most of those counties are barely populated.

Grant has a population of 7,410, for instance. Wheeler has a population of 1,465, which might be fewer people than were in my high school.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hazo posted:

Got my second Moderna poke this morning and am feeling fine 11 hours later, which is about when my wife said she started to get wrecked.

Pray 4 me goons.

Don't freak out too hard if it wakes you up feeling lovely or with really severe shivering/heart racing. A bunch of people I've talked to have had it kick into high gear early the following day's morning (1-3 am seems to be most popular). It nailed me right about where you are.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Just to add a little context, most of those counties are barely populated.

Grant has a population of 7,410, for instance. Wheeler has a population of 1,465, which might be fewer people than were in my high school.

Definitely fewer than mine in Hillsboro - we had like 2100 students

EDIT: oh God it feels so cold and the shivering has started. I hope I can sleep it off

Seth Pecksniff fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 29, 2021

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I was really hoping that at this point employers would start requiring vaccinations as a term of employment, especially health care providers and nursing homes. :sigh:

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Agents are GO! posted:

I was really hoping that at this point employers would start requiring vaccinations as a term of employment, especially health care providers and nursing homes. :sigh:

It's happening, hopefully it catches on. Just saw an article about Trident Seafoods
https://www.tridentseafoods.com/job-openings/covid-faq/

quote:

Is Trident requiring the vaccine?
Yes. Our facilities and vessels require employees to work and live in close quarters, there are limitations on the medical services we can provide in remote locations, and it is not reasonably practical to evacuate from remote locations or shut down operations in the event of another outbreak. We are therefore requiring every employee who works in our Alaska facilities and on our vessels to become vaccinated.

For those of you who are in Alaska now, you will have until the end of April to receive your first dose. For those of you going to Alaska, we require you to be vaccinated before boarding our vessels or arriving in our processing communities. We will work with you to arrange for a vaccination

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

It’s frustrating seeing people freak out over the day-over-day vaccination plots because it seems like they are used to looking at covid numbers. The reason the covid cases-per-day charts are useful is because they do a good job of illustrating exponential growth—each day or week will grow or shrink proportional to the previous sample, regardless of overall magnitude, as a function of R, and this is exactly why exponential growth is concerning. Vaccination doesn’t work this way, it’s generally linear. You would absolutely expect an initial ramp of vaccinations as facilities scaled, followed by a big peak as eligibility opened, followed by a dip and plateau. The “plateau” period when you are looking at vaccinations per day represents linear growth, which is exactly what you would expect with a supply limited system right now. That’s not to say some of the...uh...vaccine resistant county numbers don’t look bad, but understand that the derivative plots don’t mean the same thing when looking at cases as they do when looking at vaccinations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The number/trend to watch is how many people are getting their first dose compared to second doses.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1387546863767887875

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Blitter posted:

So good to see canada goons get vaccinated. I felt zonked and had a very mild temp increase t+18h but felt fine in 24h. A++ will jab again with whatever we get next.

It's such a huge relief, for so many months it was "Maybe early fall! Maybe early fall! Maybe early fall!" Then "June. Maybe June. Probably June. LOL JK we're stopping vaccines for your group"

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Sjs00 posted:

I want to chime in and say that my friend got his final chest reconstruction surgery this month and he was only required to get tested ; this is one of those people who claimed " I already had it (January 2020) " He absolutely does not have the vaccine, they put him under the knife
It might just be FL but absolutely do not assume even baseline safety practice really anywhere

I'm in WI and I basically spent the entire month of February in the hospital and they just tested me both times I was admitted. They had no control over getting me a vaccine. They asked if I wanted a flu shot, tho. Anyways, they absolutely took precautions for everything as far as I could tell. After being nervous for a day I felt comfortable that I wasn't going to catch it. And as far as I know, I didn't. I wasn't able to get vaccinated until the state opened up to everyone.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TheSlutPit posted:

It’s frustrating seeing people freak out over the day-over-day vaccination plots because it seems like they are used to looking at covid numbers. The reason the covid cases-per-day charts are useful is because they do a good job of illustrating exponential growth—each day or week will grow or shrink proportional to the previous sample, regardless of overall magnitude, as a function of R, and this is exactly why exponential growth is concerning. Vaccination doesn’t work this way, it’s generally linear. You would absolutely expect an initial ramp of vaccinations as facilities scaled, followed by a big peak as eligibility opened, followed by a dip and plateau. The “plateau” period when you are looking at vaccinations per day represents linear growth, which is exactly what you would expect with a supply limited system right now. That’s not to say some of the...uh...vaccine resistant county numbers don’t look bad, but understand that the derivative plots don’t mean the same thing when looking at cases as they do when looking at vaccinations.

Yeah if we open up the New Hampshire graph we can really see some clear patterns:

https://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

There was a long long plateau through February and March which had a very slight but steady rise but then they opened up ages 40-49 on Monday March 29 (-29 days on the chart), then ages 30-39 on Wednesday March 31, then 16-29 on Friday April 2 and they had roughly three weeks of every age group piling into vaccination centers and then the numbers collapsed

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah if we open up the New Hampshire graph we can really see some clear patterns:

https://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

There was a long long plateau through February and March which had a very slight but steady rise but then they opened up ages 40-49 on Monday March 29 (-29 days on the chart), then ages 30-39 on Wednesday March 31, then 16-29 on Friday April 2 and they had roughly three weeks of every age group piling into vaccination centers and then the numbers collapsed

Lol ok that one is really bad. Is there a reporting delay or are vaxx rates just that dogshit there? I was more referring to the plots showing mild roll offs from mid April. I’m not really trying to push a specific idea, just that people should understand what the plots actually mean wrt to different expected growth patterns.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Shot 2 trip report: right after shot the skin from my elbow to behind my ear was numb for a few hours. Then some pressure in my neck and behind my eyes. 12 hours since then my tinnitus on that side is going nuts but that’s about it. Hoping tomorrow goes as good.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TheSlutPit posted:

Lol ok that one is really bad.

Check this poo poo out:

LOL

TheSlutPit posted:

Is there a reporting delay or are vaxx rates just that dogshit there?
I have no idea but I'd be amazed if the graphs were 100% accurate and immediately up to date. But that's also true of every other graph that gets posted in this thread, data always being incomplete is just one of the reoccurring themes of this pandemic

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/tripperhead/status/1383769653839753224?s=20

NEW RECORD

(Not actually new. I’m just reading old news.)

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

dwarf74 posted:

I made a new, updated version of my total deaths graph, with extra annotations. Feel free to steal this and use it as ammunition in your very important internet arguments. (I tried to dumb it down as much as possible.)

My hope is it'll at least sow seeds of doubt in conspiracy theorists, because convincing them is probably impossible. A lot of conservatives are still hell-bent on claiming (a) Covid19 isn't very deadly, and (b) deaths are being wrongly categorized, for money.

That's why I'm using Total Deaths, because alive vs dead is a lot harder to fudge. :v:

This is taken directly from CDC/NCHS. I cut off 2021 around week 6 because this data lags by, like, months sometimes.

Enjoy, goons.

What's the total excess deaths to date, compared to the average of the previous years that you have in that dataset? I'm curious as to how it compares to reported numbers, and despite being an engineer I'm not quite at the level of integrating by eyesight alone.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Hopefully demand for vaccines in the US starts falling so they have a bit extra they can export to third world countries like Australia that are apparently too poo poo to make good vaccines or even order them in in a timely fashion.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I hate going to the office and the pub and the footy and rubbing shoulders with crowds of thousands of strangers every day with zero risk of contracting COVID in this awful, third-world, bad-at-pandemic-management country. What a loving shithole

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Got my second Pfizer dose yesterday and at 1:43 AM today I woke up with a headache, fever, chills and my glutes were burning like I did a few heavy sets of squats at the gym in the pre-COVID days.

Feel better now, so yay? :confuoot: Gonna take it easy, though.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Platystemon posted:

https://twitter.com/tripperhead/status/1383769653839753224?s=20

NEW RECORD

(Not actually new. I’m just reading old news.)

I'm the 8 people in row 15

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

ShadowHawk posted:

I'm the 8 people in row 15

Mile high club got lazy

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Oh man last night was a nightmare

I felt like I was cooking from the inside. I was up at 317 am and didn't get back to bed until maybe 5? 530? No idea. My entire body felt like it was on fire

I feel much better today though! Let's see how the rest of the day goes

EDIT: Nope that was a lie I feel like poo poo again and have to take a day off

Seth Pecksniff fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 29, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So I was fine all day Tuesday after getting my last Pfizer dose in the morning, but then when I woke up to go to work on Wed I felt like I hadn’t slept at all and I had mild chills. Then as the day went on I just kept feeling tired despite drinking coffee and I had to keep myself awake. Finally in the evening the aches and tiredness passed and I felt more normal. Arm hurt a lot more than dose 1 too.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

low key sex master posted:

Oh man last night was a nightmare

I felt like I was cooking from the inside. I was up at 317 am and didn't get back to bed until maybe 5? 530? No idea. My entire body felt like it was on fire

I feel much better today though! Let's see how the rest of the day goes

EDIT: Nope that was a lie I feel like poo poo again and have to take a day off

Remember that "body on fire" sensation when you hear people complain about hot flashes.

xcheopis fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 29, 2021

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Nam Taf posted:

What's the total excess deaths to date, compared to the average of the previous years that you have in that dataset? I'm curious as to how it compares to reported numbers, and despite being an engineer I'm not quite at the level of integrating by eyesight alone.
You can snag the data set to play with if you want!

https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/fluview/mortality.html

Click the green Download button, and pick National / All Seasons. It's unfortunately kinda janky with how the dates are done - flu seasons run from Week 40 onwards - but it's all there.

I want to say it's 650k or so total excess deaths for the data range I'm confident about. It's a bit tricky because 2020 has 1 more week than 2019, so it's not a 1:1 comparison.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I don't believe it is unreasonable to think that in many areas of the US we've gotten at least one shot into the arm of nearly everyone who will get vaccinated in the current vaccination distribution system.

Right now in order to get vaccinated you have to satisfy all of these following:

- Be motivated enough to independently figure out how the vaccines are being distributed in your area

- Have a job and household situation which lets you plan ahead for an appointment and/or where your time off that overlaps with the hours of a walk in vaccination site.

- Have a vaccination site within walking distance or have reliable transportation to/from the site when the site is open and your life's schedule is clear.

- Have the spare energy (physical and mental) to go through with all of the above and get yourself to the site for a shot. Twice.

Now that is a lot of people, but definitely not everyone or even the majority of people in most areas. Because of this local governments closing large hubs is actually a good sign, they are shifting vaccination strategies to catch people that don't hit all the above criteria. Every hurdle you can remove from the process will result in a new group of people being vaccinated.

My wife works in a clinic that focuses on underserved and lower income patients and it just so happens that the also are one of the organizations that helps run the mass vaccination sites so they've got vaccines available. Many of the patients have gotten vaccinated at mass vaccination sites but for those that haven't the organization has had amazing success by simply having the intake providers ask the patients "Would you like the vaccine? I can give it to you right now while you wait for the doctor." The vast majority of them go for it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

When I'm not planting people gardens, I'm freelance writing or working on the farm. That means I work entirely for myself and it was something of a struggle to make myself get both shots completely planning my own life. Because I knew it would suck.

That's a hard way to sell anything to people.

The people who have schedules planned for them are at a huge disadvantage if their work won't let them take time off afterward and the fact that it isn't required of companies is pretty stupid.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

I don't believe it is unreasonable to think that in many areas of the US we've gotten at least one shot into the arm of nearly everyone who will get vaccinated in the current vaccination distribution system.

Right now in order to get vaccinated you have to satisfy all of these following:

- Be motivated enough to independently figure out how the vaccines are being distributed in your area

- Have a job and household situation which lets you plan ahead for an appointment and/or where your time off that overlaps with the hours of a walk in vaccination site.

- Have a vaccination site within walking distance or have reliable transportation to/from the site when the site is open and your life's schedule is clear.

- Have the spare energy (physical and mental) to go through with all of the above and get yourself to the site for a shot. Twice.

Now that is a lot of people, but definitely not everyone or even the majority of people in most areas. Because of this local governments closing large hubs is actually a good sign, they are shifting vaccination strategies to catch people that don't hit all the above criteria. Every hurdle you can remove from the process will result in a new group of people being vaccinated.

My wife works in a clinic that focuses on underserved and lower income patients and it just so happens that the also are one of the organizations that helps run the mass vaccination sites so they've got vaccines available. Many of the patients have gotten vaccinated at mass vaccination sites but for those that haven't the organization has had amazing success by simply having the intake providers ask the patients "Would you like the vaccine? I can give it to you right now while you wait for the doctor." The vast majority of them go for it.

My workplace is using the Street Health teams (our own and those of our health care partners) to essentially deliver the vaccine for people unable to get to the clinics. There are also shelters where there is onsite Covid testing and various vaccines (TB, Hep A, Covid, Flu) are offered.

KittenCaboodle
Jan 16, 2014

Fun Shoe
Is there any solid data on how long immunity from the vaccines lasts?

I was vaccinated last October as part of a trial and I've just been sent an appointment for a vaccine through our health service. Probably a dumb question but with all the talk of 6-month immunity and then needing a booster I was wondering if I should keep the appointment and get done again.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

KittenCaboodle posted:

Is there any solid data on how long immunity from the vaccines lasts?

I was vaccinated last October as part of a trial and I've just been sent an appointment for a vaccine through our health service. Probably a dumb question but with all the talk of 6-month immunity and then needing a booster I was wondering if I should keep the appointment and get done again.

You'll probably need a yearly shot. Right now i think the latest numbers keep protection for 12 months, but most scientists predict this will be like the flu shot and you get it once a year in booster form due to all the variants and what not

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Shifty Pony posted:

I used https://www.vaccinespotter.org/ to find an appointment by me, it checks a lot of the local pharmacies in your area and will show available appointments if it can pull the data from the websites. Without the site I'd probably be still trying to find something that worked with my schedule. Had to drive over an hour drive away at some rural rear end Walmart for the first dose but worth it though. Second dose is next Saturday :toot:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

So I have a lot of joint problems from hypermobility, and the aches from the vaccine made a lot of them much worse. Especially my wrists and hips. Waves of intense headaches and wooziness and a fever. Fatigue is high, my arms do not want to lift. I keep setting my phone down to take breaks as I type this lol

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Don't freak out too hard if it wakes you up feeling lovely or with really severe shivering/heart racing. A bunch of people I've talked to have had it kick into high gear early the following day's morning (1-3 am seems to be most popular). It nailed me right about where you are.

Appreciate the tip. I actually slept through the night without issue. I'm a little tired and achy today but so far nothing terribly compromising. Hopefully I'm one of the lucky ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Got my 2nd dose just now. Had to drive about an hour 20 away to get it. I better not feel real ill on the way back or I'll be very cross. :argh: