Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

exmarx posted:

degrowth makes sense to me as part of the solution. all the explanations i've seen make it clear that developed countries need to do more, faster, and that it's not about smothering under-developed countries even more.

idk why ppl on here seem to hate on it so much... seems to be partly amerikan ideology, partly deterministic views on how development happens.

what exactly is meant by degrowth? is it just ending the mindless consumption of the global west

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

what exactly is meant by degrowth? is it just ending the mindless consumption of the global west

right, i think this important because it's not like people in the West are happy

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

it’s global in scope. everyone needs to stop producing and consuming non-essential goods at current levels. I think one of the critiques of degrowth as a movement is that it doesn’t focus on economic system and modes of production so it’s perfectly compatible with capitalism and exploitation of workers/peasants in principle as long as we don’t do it quite so much

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

No it isn’t. Will not elaborate

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

indigi posted:

it’s global in scope. everyone needs to stop producing and consuming non-essential goods at current levels. I think one of the critiques of degrowth as a movement is that it doesn’t focus on economic system and modes of production so it’s perfectly compatible with capitalism and exploitation of workers/peasants in principle as long as we don’t do it quite so much

i just dont see the non-industrialized countries as having troublesome levels of consumption. like yeah no one should be living like americans but i dunno what countries in africa could cut back on

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

we should be planting so many loving forests right now

Sorry, no profit in planting trees. Please die in an orderly and expensive fashion.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i just dont see the non-industrialized countries as having troublesome levels of consumption. like yeah no one should be living like americans but i dunno what countries in africa could cut back on

that’s totally true, mostly because the West takes all their poo poo. I believe degrowth proponents would say that they shouldn’t simply continue to produce the same amount even if it’s for local consumption as opposed to export. but also there’s Marxist degrowth tendencies so they may have a different answer? it’s a pretty broad category

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

tendencies*

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Trash Ops posted:

rounding it out i have robert service to thank for the trotsky im horny babaay but my dick only work for u letter

thank you fir your Service

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
skipping the last 15 pages to say lol even lurkers are tired of flatass poo poo stirring to post about it now

also

lmao

lmfao this owns

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

"Degrowth" can either be really good or really bad depending on what people actually mean by it, I've found. A bunch of the people pushing it are Western primmies and hippies who are proud of not owning a tv. Otoh the idea of decoupling economics from prioritizing GDP growth makes sense if we actually want an eco-communist future as long as we don't put the cart before the horse. Going for degrowth while the world is still capitalist would be extremely counterproductive and gently caress over the working class

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

detonate the Yellowstone Supervolcano

ashfall blots out the sun, triggers global cooling, solves global warming

destroys America

win-win-win

if we blot the sun then photosynthesis will slow down lol and the carbon will hang around longer. the only option is to cut emissions and try to accelerate the recapture of carbon. in the meantime we're kinda hosed

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

liquidating every person with a net worth over a million bucks would technically be green degrowth

to me the term means that elon musk's lifestyle shouldn't be an aspirational goal

THS
Sep 15, 2017

ending consumerist lifestyles and improving people’s lives and the ecology of the planet should be called something else other than “degrowth”, which is a bad term. if the idea is to build a new sustainable and humane future that is what should be emphasized, not that capitalist assumptions of Important Number goes down or whatever

anyway any political program should be explicitly communist regardless, as anything else will get coopted by capitalism. degrowth and sustainability will just be used to cover up why your life is getting materially worse while the elons and jeffs of the world maintain their control

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

rename it to "transitioning to an economy that wont kill us all"

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Certain things like subsidized high-density housing and actual public transportation would be a step up in terms of quality of life. Certain things like air travel (for example) would have to be highly regulated, but that is why HSR exists.

The real issue is that particularly the American way of high is just unsustainable and shutting down some coal plants and buying Teslas isn't going to cut it. (It doesn't help that the US' likes to simultaneously blame the global south for increased carbon emissions but absolutely has no problem using their cheap labor for their manufacturing.)

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 30, 2021

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

i am curious to what extent eliminating capitalism's duplicative production alone would have on climate change

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
recreate cybersyn by nationalizing Amazon’s MRP system and use it to centrally plan the global economy and break the backs of the capitalists and use dynamic pegging to avoid going beyond the ecological limits

yes, industrial output of anime will increase in my planning scenarios

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i am curious to what extent eliminating capitalism's duplicative production alone would have on climate change

Anyone notice how the quality of shoes nowadays is absolutely terrible? I have bought shoes recently that only lasted a few months and they were name-brand.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the biggest thing would be establishing some semblance of sane centralized production for each population region instead of concentrating parts in exploited parts of the world and renditioning them all over the world for assembly/distro on super tankers that belch out the equivalent CO2 to 30 million cars every day or w/e (EACH!!!)

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
i dont know what dynamic pegging is but i like the sound of it

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost

Impermanent posted:

The problem with internet leftists is that materialism unlocks a methodology for being correct about things few others are willing to acknowledge. Like any group of people with specialized knowledge (doctors, programmers, engineers) they immediately assume this new found power applies cross-discipline, and indeed in every facet of life and society. But you only know what you study.

this is an interesting phenomenon i've wondered about for a while. best i can come up with is 'dunning-kreuger is topic-specific but people don't understand that' but that's descriptive and not explanatory

i think part of it is spending so long studying/working on one type of problem that you don't really get to experience being wrong in other fields just from sheer lack of exposure

i hadn't thought about it affecting commie mega-nerds but it makes some sense

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

materialism is a little more all-encompassing than medical practice, coding, and bridge building so I don’t get the comparison. indeed it explains why these fields are the way they are today. is this really a problem?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Ardennes posted:

Anyone notice how the quality of shoes nowadays is absolutely terrible? I have bought shoes recently that only lasted a few months and they were name-brand.

someone in the doomsday economics thread said they bought the same pair of tennis shoes every six months on account of them wearing out from running/walking but they might just be buying inappropriate shoes.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mawarannahr posted:

someone in the doomsday economics thread said they bought the same pair of tennis shoes every six months on account of them wearing out from running/walking but they might just be buying inappropriate shoes.

Well I pretty much had the same issue, and I would say it is more severe now then even a few years ago. There is something to say when blocky Soviet shoes become appealing if only they can last long enough to break them in.

I would say any philosophy or view of the world is going to have its blind spots including materialism.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 30, 2021

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

indigi posted:

which is why it's part of the solution – it's entirely possible for a communist society to exploit resources in an unsustainable way

Raskolnikov38 posted:

this is the risk, right? without degrowth or some other strategy for a 2-speed reduction in emissions etc., you're going to have a bunch of countries that aren't able to industrialise, while the historically polluting countries tut-tut.

turd in my singlet posted:

this is an interesting phenomenon i've wondered about for a while. best i can come up with is 'dunning-kreuger is topic-specific but people don't understand that' but that's descriptive and not explanatory

i think part of it is spending so long studying/working on one type of problem that you don't really get to experience being wrong in other fields just from sheer lack of exposure

i hadn't thought about it affecting commie mega-nerds but it makes some sense

this is my fave articulation of it, made off-hand in a review of the selfish gene in the 70s:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

exmarx posted:

this is my fave articulation of it, made off-hand in a review of the selfish gene in the 70s:

janet would gently caress me if it weren't for capital

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

i say swears online posted:

janet would gently caress me if it weren't for capital

barry hang in there next semester we'll be seniors

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

you would mainly replace the market impulses on the industrial base with intelligently extrapolated statistical forecasts in your central distribution node in the population center, but you can’t completely ignore real life in the distribution centres either or else you risk running out of anime or toothbrushes unexpectedly as the factory planning becomes progressively disconnected from what the people need

so you dynamically peg the underlying production orders in the factory to the anticipated stock transfer orders coming from the hub, and all of this across the multi-level subset hierarchy of the product. as the distribution needs move forwards or backwards in the next months your supply plan in production adapts dynamically as the heuristic optimizer algorithms take it into account (and flag an alert for the supply planners if there’s a big issue - the principle of cybersyn was local management unless additional support is needed from central planning)

proper inventory management is an existential, critical process for any centrally planned system because at the other end you won’t peg your purchase orders to the raw material suppliers (they could be geographically situated anywhere in the world) so if the requested transfer dates slide too far forward you create a mess in production by not having the correct raw material available.

in summary, boxes of anime pillows disappearing creates chaos in the quota management system and the industrial base and will be punishable by the gulag

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

That doesn't seem to address enviromental limits at all.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

not inherently, the environmental limits are taken into account upfront in the inputs you give to the distribution center and which drive the industrial activity

the industrial planning system itself just reacts and scales to the inputs it receives, the trick is replacing the inputs coming today from capitalist market speculation and overconsumption with a strictly controlled demand plan respecting environmental limits without hand waving and ignoring the risk of potential shortages on essential/consumer goods

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Impermanent posted:

The problem with internet leftists is that materialism unlocks a methodology for being correct about things few others are willing to acknowledge. Like any group of people with specialized knowledge (doctors, programmers, engineers) they immediately assume this new found power applies cross-discipline, and indeed in every facet of life and society. But you only know what you study.

i think this is basically right. there's a reason academics learn to be detached and that reason is immersing yourself in theory is the fast-track to crazy town. but it has it .. backwards? internet political discourse is like a playground, and the political discourse there functions like a kind of practice or play activity. and that's smart, a big part of expertise is understanding its limits, and the only way you can get that is by trying to apply ideas to cases and seeing what feedback comes back. so i think what you're seeing as a problem is an intuitive learning strategy, basically people stumbling on nice looking ideas and ideologies in what they perceive as a safe environment, and then putting them in their mouths, like babies exploring novel objects do.

thus the problem here isn't so much anything about internet leftists individually as that they are learners in an unsafe learning environment. the internet algorithmically encourages pushes people across ideologies (come to think of it, liberals approach statistics in this way too) onto aforementioned fast-track in the name of engagement, grossly distorting the learning feedback process in order to turn "people who are interested in theory" into "people who are overly immersed in theory" on a factory assembly line.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

you would mainly replace the market impulses on the industrial base with intelligently extrapolated statistical forecasts in your central distribution node in the population center, but you can’t completely ignore real life in the distribution centres either or else you risk running out of anime or toothbrushes unexpectedly as the factory planning becomes progressively disconnected from what the people need

so you dynamically peg the underlying production orders in the factory to the anticipated stock transfer orders coming from the hub, and all of this across the multi-level subset hierarchy of the product. as the distribution needs move forwards or backwards in the next months your supply plan in production adapts dynamically as the heuristic optimizer algorithms take it into account (and flag an alert for the supply planners if there’s a big issue - the principle of cybersyn was local management unless additional support is needed from central planning)

proper inventory management is an existential, critical process for any centrally planned system because at the other end you won’t peg your purchase orders to the raw material suppliers (they could be geographically situated anywhere in the world) so if the requested transfer dates slide too far forward you create a mess in production by not having the correct raw material available.

in summary, boxes of anime pillows disappearing creates chaos in the quota management system and the industrial base and will be punishable by the gulag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJKdh1KZ0w

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

l dynamic pegging

I’m listening

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
So, I just watched a video about Degrowth. And I don't disagree with any of the points made in it, and I can get behind abolishing capitalism. But when somebody suggests abolishing capitalism without ever mentioning communism, my mind somehow jumps towards cryptofeudalism.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost

kind of understood some of this since im about halfway through Brain of the Firm lol. don't know anything about actual modern logistics tho, which seems like is where the 'pegging' part is coming from? i'm surprised cybernetics doesn't come up more on this forum

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

VictualSquid posted:

when somebody suggests abolishing capitalism without ever mentioning communism

lol why’re just cowards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

happy international workers' day comrades