Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Platystemon posted:

FogHelmut’s problem could also be rodent/lagomorph damage to the base of the shrubs.

My first thought was mites, though. The photos don’t rule them out, but they don’t confirm them either. Look at the leaves under a loupe and see if you can see the beasts and/or the mess they leave behind.

Rabbits definitely a possibility. One of them killed a large section of grass in the front last year, and has been in my backyard recently. I actually just put chicken wire along the bottom of my fence to keep it out because it was going between the bars, annoying my dog, and killing my new sod.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Those look like loropetalum which are usually pretty damned tough. Are they recently planted? The fact that they are next to each other but one is undamaged makes me think a nutrient or drainage problem of some sort? Some sort of bug is also definitely possible. Did your area get any of the weird texas/Mississippi valley freeze a few weeks ago? It could be some frost damage or something.

I'm in Southern California, and I've lived here 5 years, and they were there before I moved in. Really it's the only thing that grows over there along that wall. Half the stuff we've planted has died. It's like full shade all year. I haven't changed my watering habits, though we had a dry winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

If I lose leaves on seedlings I can safely assume it's slugs. If it's higher up it's deer. We have rabbits, but for some reason they never come into the garden.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

poeticoddity posted:

You can also make an organic insecticide from tobacco if you're looking for a use that doesn't involve putting it inside yourself.

Yeah nicotine is actually super poisonous to humans, on top of being carcinogenic, so I'd be very hesitant about this. Also, the synthetic pesticides that are loving up the bees are literally nicotine analogues, so I wouldn't be surprised if "organic" nicotine did the same. If I had to choose, I'd use one of the less-harmful synthetic insecticides over nicotine any day.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

We have rabbits, but for some reason they never come into the garden.

I promise you, you’re probably wrong about this

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

I promise you, you’re probably wrong about this

I know how bad rabbits are for a lot of people! But we never have rabbit-style damage on anything. Plenty of squirrels, chipmunks, raccoons, rats, even a weasel, but I've never seen anything else go past the fence. Even deer don't cross. We have a dog and resident owls & hawks, but those don't discourage the other critters much.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I know how bad rabbits are for a lot of people! But we never have rabbit-style damage on anything. Plenty of squirrels, chipmunks, raccoons, rats, even a weasel, but I've never seen anything else go past the fence. Even deer don't cross. We have a dog and resident owls & hawks, but those don't discourage the other critters much.

How well do outdoor cats do, just out of curiosity?

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah nicotine is actually super poisonous to humans, on top of being carcinogenic, so I'd be very hesitant about this. Also, the synthetic pesticides that are loving up the bees are literally nicotine analogues, so I wouldn't be surprised if "organic" nicotine did the same. If I had to choose, I'd use one of the less-harmful synthetic insecticides over nicotine any day.

Yeah, I wouldn't advise it, but I mentioned it because it's the only application for nicotine I can think of that doesn't involve intentionally consuming it.

Fun fact: The two broad classes of acetylcholine receptors (nicotinic and muscarinic) are named after compounds found in tobacco and amanita mushrooms. :science:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Stringent posted:

How well do outdoor cats do, just out of curiosity?

There are a few that I see in storm drains on the other side of the neighborhood, but that's about it

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Fitzy Fitz posted:

There are a few that I see in storm drains on the other side of the neighborhood, but that's about it

Ah, no sorry I meant like farm cats for keeping rabbits and such down.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I wouldn't get an outdoor cat because of how many outdoor coyotes we have, which is why the number of outdoor rabbits is so surprising.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Stringent posted:

Ah, no sorry I meant like farm cats for keeping rabbits and such down.

oh, I have no idea! Our neighborhood is really wooded, but we're also very in-town, so there's nothing like farm cats around. Just house pets and the critters the pass through the creek corridor.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I know this is the gardening thread, but nicotine itself doesn't have a strong correlation with cancer, it's burning it that does. Cancer rates in countries that consume steam cured tobacco are incredibly low. Still does a number on your arteries though.

Not sure about the bees though, interesting to know.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

eSporks posted:

I know this is the gardening thread, but nicotine itself doesn't have a strong correlation with cancer, it's burning it that does. Cancer rates in countries that consume steam cured tobacco are incredibly low. Still does a number on your arteries though.

Not sure about the bees though, interesting to know.

Yeah neonicotinoids re: the bees.

And while you're right in that a lot of the carcinogenicity of smoking comes from the smoke itself, there's still a direct association between "smokeless" tobacco and cancer.

https://www.cancer.org/healthy/stay-away-from-tobacco/health-risks-of-tobacco/smokeless-tobacco.html

I definitely would not want to be spraying concentrated tobacco solution around a garden without a respirator at all.

poeticoddity posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't advise it, but I mentioned it because it's the only application for nicotine I can think of that doesn't involve intentionally consuming it.

For real. The one other potential use is ceremonial. E.g. gifts to indigenous elders to thank them for speaking at an event.

https://www.lung.ca/blog/respecting-tobacco-ceremonial-vs-commercial-tobacco-use

poeticoddity posted:

Fun fact: The two broad classes of acetylcholine receptors (nicotinic and muscarinic) are named after compounds found in tobacco and amanita mushrooms. :science:

We have some Fraxinus ornus street trees on our block. Apparently you can get a sweet sap from them similar to maple trees, and people in southeastern Europe have a long history of calling them "manna trees". And this is where the name of mannose, the sugar, comes from. Presumably it was first isolated from manna ash sap.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraxinus_ornus

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

i see you

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Jhet posted:

Trellis is fine if it's big enough (but it won't be). Hops need a ton of space (could maybe get away with a 3' cube), so your container needs to be really very large or they'll be sad. Hops are beautiful and enormous plants with large root structure. I tried looking through my phone to see if I could find any pictures for scale, but I only have close ups because they're too big. I'd recommend taking a look at some pictures on google image search and see if it'll fit for you.

Hops grow fine on hills though, just mound up their crown a bit and maybe give them an edge to help with erosion and they'll be perfectly fine.

Thanks for this. My anarcho-syndicalist hop rhizomes just arrived in the mail, and I have a similar plan of putting them on a deck. I have two-gallon pots for now, but I guess I'll upgrade next year.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
On the topic of the thread title, I am trying pumpkins for the first time this year. Sprouted a couple Connecticut Field pumpkin seeds indoors in pots under lights and direct sewed some outside in an isolated 3x3 raised bed that's in kind of a trash part of the yard, figuring if they spread, they just take over yard we're not using anyway. The indoor plants are doing much, much better. Getting their first true leaves now and I'm hardening them off outside and a little nervous about transplanting with the sensitive roots, but I think it'll be OK. Only one seed popped up from the direct sew and its leaves are already yellow. Hoping it was just a bad seed and not something about the bed, but I guess we'll see.

On a very different note: anyone ever grown poppies before? I've always been fascinated by them and their "medicinal" use, but they don't do well in pots. So this year is my first year trying them outside since I have a good size backyard. Got some giganteum, danish flags and super blues going. Seem to grow super readily at the moment, but as I say, I've tried growing them in pots before and always hit a point where the root gets damaged or something and they just shrivel. Curious if anyone has grown them before. (Perhaps folks in TCC may have...)

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Chad Sexington posted:

On a very different note: anyone ever grown poppies before? I've always been fascinated by them and their "medicinal" use, but they don't do well in pots. So this year is my first year trying them outside since I have a good size backyard. Got some giganteum, danish flags and super blues going. Seem to grow super readily at the moment, but as I say, I've tried growing them in pots before and always hit a point where the root gets damaged or something and they just shrivel. Curious if anyone has grown them before. (Perhaps folks in TCC may have...)
I have grown them a few times and they are pretty easy. Around here on the gulf coast you sow them in November-ish and they bloom in March/April. They’ll take a decent frost once they’re a bit established, but I have had an early, hard freeze wipe out all my seedlings before. The flowers are really pretty but they only last a day or so. The seed pods look nice though and last a bit longer, and they make a ton of seed that is easy to save if you let the pods dry out. They do not like to be transplanted so they need to be direct sown, not very deep. I usually put out some compost, rake it, spread seed over that, and then water. You can mix the seed with sand or something to make sowing easier otherwise you’ll wind up with a carpet of poppies. Thin them to 6-12” apart. I don’t think I’ve ever had any pest or disease problems with them. I think ‘Afghan blue’ and ‘jumbo’ are the ones I’ve grown? I’ve never tried using them for anything but ornamental purposes so I can’t speak to that.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Had an interesting flower sprout off my Wabash PawPaw tree that I’d never seen before:

I thought it might have been something from a host graft taking over one side, but nope, apparently Pawpaws are perfect flowers where both reproductive structures exist in a single flower. Thought that was neat and wanted to share... hoping I might get some fruit off it this year! 2 out of the 3 pawpaw trees I transplanted last fall seem to have survived the surprise 2” April snowstorm, the third I’m hoping will bounce back when it warms up here, at least if it would quit dropping down to just above freezing here.

Ordered several hop Rhizomes from Northern Brewer the other day (Centennial and Comet). The plan is to drive 8’ T posts in along my fenceline, string some twine between them, and see if I can get them to grow horizontally. Going to run out and pick up some Oldcastle keyed blocks and build some small raised beds for them before they come in. Anyone here ever do anything similar, or know if a t-post can support the weight alright? The googler says roughly 20 pounds per plant, which should be ok across two posts I would think.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I thinned my grapes today.

I have no idea if I made the right decisions, but the majority of vineyard papers say to start when your shoots are between 3 and 12 inches, and to keep 3 to 5 shoots per foot and only spare the fruiting shoots, unless you plan to recuperate that particular node. I wish I went to school for this stuff.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Is this tree too old to start fan training?

It's a semi-dwarf Stella cherry tree. Now that the moment of truth has come to lop off 3/4 of it, I'm getting cold feet.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Just spent about 2 hours putting 300 mycelium dowels (100x of lions mane, shiitake, and blue oysters) into some maple logs that I just had trimmed off one of our biggest trees (lot of dead leaders that were unsafe)

Here's hoping next year I have a mushroom garden and bunnies dont eat them the way they're decimating my peppers and tomatoes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My greenhouse just got its first bit of three-dimensionality. I'm taking a break for posting before I drive down the posts on the right hand side

I mean I'll finish the right hand side posts post posting I mean

e. I finished the left hand side before I came in to post

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Had an interesting flower sprout off my Wabash PawPaw tree that I’d never seen before:

I thought it might have been something from a host graft taking over one side, but nope, apparently Pawpaws are perfect flowers where both reproductive structures exist in a single flower. Thought that was neat and wanted to share... hoping I might get some fruit off it this year! 2 out of the 3 pawpaw trees I transplanted last fall seem to have survived the surprise 2” April snowstorm, the third I’m hoping will bounce back when it warms up here, at least if it would quit dropping down to just above freezing here.

Ordered several hop Rhizomes from Northern Brewer the other day (Centennial and Comet). The plan is to drive 8’ T posts in along my fenceline, string some twine between them, and see if I can get them to grow horizontally. Going to run out and pick up some Oldcastle keyed blocks and build some small raised beds for them before they come in. Anyone here ever do anything similar, or know if a t-post can support the weight alright? The googler says roughly 20 pounds per plant, which should be ok across two posts I would think.

Love the pawpaw! How particular are they about water and soil conditions? I know around D.C. I can only find them within a stone's throw of a decent sized body of water, so I've never thought about growing one.

For a few years I'd go stock up on them in September and try and make stuff with them. Got really sick one time trying to turn them into banana bread, but they're good raw or to flavor ice cream.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A Portland nursery made a low budget video about paw paw flowers that I can’t not post now.

https://vimeo.com/419074845

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

FogHelmut posted:

Does anyone know what is wrong with my two bushes on the ends?

The middle one is growing as normal. It had flowers a few weeks ago and now the leaves are all growing. Normally all three do this at this time every year.

The two on the end seem to have stalled or stunted or something. I'm not sure what the issue is. They have water, and nothing has changed from year to year.

The yellowing between the veins of the leaves (interveinal chlorosis) makes me wonder if there's a nutritional deficiency going on.

Of course, nothing can be simple with plants so a nutritional deficiency can be caused by a lack of nutrient in the soil, wrong pH to absorb the nutrient, or another nutrient inhibiting absorbtion (high magnesium inhibiting calcium).

ed:typo

Hexigrammus fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 2, 2021

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

CommonShore posted:

My greenhouse just got its first bit of three-dimensionality. I'm taking a break for posting before I drive down the posts on the right hand side

I mean I'll finish the right hand side posts post posting I mean

e. I finished the left hand side before I came in to post

Awesome, that looks like it is 50 feet long or something! The biggest I can dream of here is 6x6 :smith:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You might be surprised what you can accomplish in a small greenhouse.

There are diminishing returns. Sure, a big greenhouse lets you season‐extend or possibly overwinter an entire field, but in a little greenhouse you can start a ton of vegetables for transplant.

Small greenhouses can have some real advantages, too. It’s not just like having a little corner of the big greenhouse. They can be insulated and climate‐controlled to a level that’s usually cost‐prohibitive in a big greenhouse, and I don’t just mean heating. In the summer in a dry climate you can use it as a cool‐house that stays well below ambient temperature and well above ambient humidity. It’s also way easier to control pests in a small greenhouse.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CancerCakes posted:

Awesome, that looks like it is 50 feet long or something! The biggest I can dream of here is 6x6 :smith:

it's 20*60! I'm super excited.

You should make your 6*6 greenhouse.

guri
Jun 14, 2001
Funny story -- Turns out the friend that gave me my hop rhizomes accidentally gave me the roots of a weed that had started creeping into the bed with his hops. I thought my little hop shoots poking up seemed off and now I know why. Looks like I'll be using a backup plan for a climbing plant this year after all.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Platystemon posted:

A Portland nursery made a low budget video about paw paw flowers that I can’t not post now.

https://vimeo.com/419074845

This is fantastic on so many levels :D

Chad Sexington posted:

Love the pawpaw! How particular are they about water and soil conditions? I know around D.C. I can only find them within a stone's throw of a decent sized body of water, so I've never thought about growing one.

For a few years I'd go stock up on them in September and try and make stuff with them. Got really sick one time trying to turn them into banana bread, but they're good raw or to flavor ice cream.

They do make excellent ice cream, jam, and pie, or are just delicious on their own. But as you discovered some varieties may contain higher amounts of acetogins which can cause stomach issues if you consume too many.

DC would be a great place for pawpaws! They’re native to Appalachia, so that makes sense you’d find them in the wild there. I typically only find them around creeks and hollers in the state parks here in Ohio, which I think is the soil they prefer. I would suspect they used to be more widespread, but since most of the east coast was largely deforested by the start of the 20th century and pawpaws are an understory tree, I don’t think they bounced back quite the same.

Pawpaws like well drained soil and have a really long single taproot, so I took my starters and dug a 30”’ hole for the 1’ taproot, and filled it with a mix of sand and topsoil, and mixed in some bonemeal for fertilizer. They’ve been hardy to disease, cold, and heat, not to mention my bumbling attempts to grow stuff. Plus the fruits are delicious and it’s really difficult to obtain them commercially, though there’s a few places like Integration Acres that do have frozen pulp for sale. The long taproot makes it difficult to transplant them successfully is the main issue I think.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

guri posted:

Funny story -- Turns out the friend that gave me my hop rhizomes accidentally gave me the roots of a weed that had started creeping into the bed with his hops. I thought my little hop shoots poking up seemed off and now I know why. Looks like I'll be using a backup plan for a climbing plant this year after all.

Home brew shops still have rhizome inventory this time of year, so it's not too late to get some new plants and replace them. They're usually under-$5 for a rhizome and unless you live in OR/WA/ID then most anyone can ship them to you. They'll typically have good availability and you won't have only 3 options to select.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

stealth planting a bunch of leftover suyo cucumbers by the grade school chainlink fence :ssh:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Chard posted:

stealth planting a bunch of leftover suyo cucumbers by the grade school chainlink fence :ssh:

I think about doing this with squash quite a lot, as there’s just not enough room in my garden to grow a years worth.

This year I have some Achocha ‘fat baby’, a Peruvian cucumber relative that scrambles and clings aggressively, and has spiky fruit. And grows outside in a UK climate.

https://www.realseeds.co.uk/cucumberrelatives.html
That fence could be wholly covered by the end of summer.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Do you guys think it's too cold for tomatoes in 5b so far?

GF put out some cherry and beefsteak tomatoes tonight to see if they survive (we bought a pod of 6) and have plenty of others if they don't.

We don't have a lot of light in our apartment, lots of part-sun and shade, because of the landlord wanting shade, but, I was able to get a single cherry plant give around enough for a salad last year.

I found a thai pepper and ghost pepper I bought today which we stuck in the indoors greenhouse we bought and have been using to sustain some peppers and gourds and basil and such (basil always fails pretty loving hard in our area)

also: mint does pretty well, so now have two kinds of peppermint, spearmint, and my absolute favorite, chocolate mint. Found some Mojito Mint which I am :pray: about.

Also got some Blueberries and raspberries I'm going to put into some pots tomorrow that are already growing in their sapling bags while I get ready to plant them out front in the one area that has 8+ of sun

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Saw some rue for sale, thinking about growing it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Do you guys think it's too cold for tomatoes in 5b so far?

Yeah, quite probably. They might be okay and even survive, but if your overnight gets into the 30s they’re going to be cranky. Keep an eye on the frost report and bring inside as you might be 2-4 weeks early.

Blueberries and raspberries should be fine outside, but that pepper won’t want to be outside until near the end of May.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Just watched a rabbit osmose itself through a chain link fence to exit my yard and escape the dog. I thought that fence was secure. Time for more chicken wire.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
loving rabbits got into the transport proteins again.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Jhet posted:

Yeah, quite probably. They might be okay and even survive, but if your overnight gets into the 30s they’re going to be cranky. Keep an eye on the frost report and bring inside as you might be 2-4 weeks early.

Blueberries and raspberries should be fine outside, but that pepper won’t want to be outside until near the end of May.

Yeah, for now the tomatoes and peppers are inside for now. I'm very protective of my peppers, so they're inside the indoors greenhouse so far (the regular jalapenos have been fairly fine in 2x2 planting in a 7"x4"? rectangular planter? I need to repot them sooner in a bigger container this week)

the blueberries and raspberries I'll stick into pots tomorrow (I have some saplings that are starting to grow leaves in the bags I bought them in)

Honestly I could have avoided paying for any raspberries, my gf's dad who works in a grow store has tons of free raspberry offshoots I can take for nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah, for now the tomatoes and peppers are inside for now.

Peppers shouldn’t be outside until your nightly temperature doesn’t get much below 10C. So probably never.

Tomatoes vary a lot with cultivar, some are fine as long as they don’t freeze, some basically don’t grow unless they’re hot all the time.