Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Magnolia grandiflora y’all. If I had to pick one tree as my very favorite landscape tree, I think it would have to be a magnolia. Flowers that are pretty and smell nice all summer long! Very handsome dark green evergreen leaves! Cool seed cones in the fall! Very very ancient!

I have magnolia envy. They're beautiful trees and they look great at nurseries in the spring when they're covered in flowers but while there are varieties that are capable of living here they sure don't seem to like it and they always look like poo poo once they've had leaves on them for more than a week. All of the coolest flowering trees don't like it here as I have been reminded while tree shopping this spring :(

On the plus side one of Home Depot's suppliers can apparently make money selling five foot tall green japanese maples for $29.99. I'm sure they're some passé variety that real tree people wouldn't let anywhere near their yard but for 30 bucks I couldn't resist popping one in the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
My money is that they’re grafted onto some weird root stock and pumped to the brim with fertilizer, keep us updated, curious how it turns out for sure

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Wallet posted:

I have magnolia envy. They're beautiful trees and they look great at nurseries in the spring when they're covered in flowers but while there are varieties that are capable of living here they sure don't seem to like it and they always look like poo poo once they've had leaves on them for more than a week. All of the coolest flowering trees don't like it here as I have been reminded while tree shopping this spring :(

On the plus side one of Home Depot's suppliers can apparently make money selling five foot tall green japanese maples for $29.99. I'm sure they're some passé variety that real tree people wouldn't let anywhere near their yard but for 30 bucks I couldn't resist popping one in the ground.

I got one of those like a month ago to turn into a bonsai. I’m honestly kind of over-the-moon with it, and it’s done really well on my patio so far.

I dunno the nursery angel that did the graft on it, but it’s basically perfect and I couldn’t have asked for a better classical triangle straight from the get-go. I’m super happy with the basic shape, albeit it needs lots of refinement and maturation, of course. Biggest concern now is gonna be fattening the trunk and keeping everything proportional with the branches but fortunately it’s hella common which means approach grafting is def an option in the future. Might also just lean into it and make the branches much shorter in the fall around leaf drop, to work towards giving the illusion of great height against a thinner trunk.

But I’m not interested in, like, hacking it back and starting it from a stump, which is what I usually think when I think “$30 maple prebonsai”.

It’s a pretty vigorous grower, I already had to take the stake ties off as they were cutting into the bark, which has since put on like a good half centimeter.

Lowe’s had some magnolias like two weeks ago but I had to jump on their satsuki azaleas (real-deal satsukis!) and also decided to try my hand with some interesting looking pieris (anybody have success keeping these potted?) instead.

In the time since, I peeped some truly spectacular small magnolia bonsai and immediately got hit with low key tree-gret, as they’ve all been long-snatched.

I’ll also make a big cactus-post soon

In the meantime, can we change the thread title to Horticulture: cactus dungeon, pls?

https://youtu.be/r9ErOuXdRjs

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 3, 2021

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I love Norfolk island pines

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Wallet posted:

Yeah 1 got a $10 walmart twig of a japanese maple and 5 years later its a cute little tree!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Araucaria heterophylla, the Norfolk Island pine.
I love these things! They don't/can't grow natively here in Michigan, but spotting a big 'un in the wild always gives me a giant mood boost.

They're one of my favorite things about visiting NZ, and you can tell my in-laws I said so. :colbert:

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Last year (my first in the house) my bigass cherry plum tree out back didn’t produce piddly squat. Didn’t know it could until one single plum fell onto a yard waste bin.

This year however it seems to be going gangbusters and I’ve been super excited about it, plan has been to ferment them and make some rakia/plum brandy later in the year.

Noticed two weeks ago some of the plums were getting white spots and now they mostly look like this:

:cry:

I’m guessing it’s a fungal infection and I’ve procured some fungicide and a sprayer, but am I too late? Will that sweet sweet brandy touch no lips this year??

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

I dunno the nursery angel that did the graft on it, but it’s basically perfect and I couldn’t have asked for a better classical triangle straight from the get-go. I’m super happy with the basic shape, albeit it needs lots of refinement and maturation, of course. Biggest concern now is gonna be fattening the trunk and keeping everything proportional with the branches but fortunately it’s hella common which means approach grafting is def an option in the future. Might also just lean into it and make the branches much shorter in the fall around leaf drop, to work towards giving the illusion of great height against a thinner trunk.

Yeah, the graft on it is pretty clean so I think it will do alright. It's a little crooked but of the 10 or so they had I grabbed the only one that they hadn't pruned into having codominant stems on a high angled V (I assume to make them look fuller).

Ok Comboomer posted:

Lowe’s had some magnolias like two weeks ago but I had to jump on their satsuki azaleas (real-deal satsukis!) and also decided to try my hand with some interesting looking pieris (anybody have success keeping these potted?) instead.

We have some in the ground that we put in last year—I'm not sure they're hardy enough for pot living unless you're in 7+ (which IIRC you aren't) or you're going to take them indoors. The japanese varieties seem quite a bit more sensitive to the cold based on how ours have done.

Ok Comboomer posted:

In the meantime, can we change the thread title to Horticulture: cactus dungeon, pls?

https://youtu.be/r9ErOuXdRjs

I watched this last night: they have some crazy unobtanium poo poo locked up in there.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 3, 2021

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

My friend moved house recently and has a tree in her backyard which is turning yellow. It's autumn here so that could be it but we aren't sure what sort of tree it is so it may well be evergreen and in trouble. Anyone know what it is?

She can get better pictures tomorrow if needed but I figured I'd post this current one just in case.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You usually need to be able to make out the details of the leaves and bark to ID a tree, plus your location. It looks like some branches have already been lopped off?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You usually need to be able to make out the details of the leaves and bark to ID a tree, plus your location. It looks like some branches have already been lopped off?

We're in Perth, Western Australia. If it's deciduous then it's non-native so IDK how much the location helps. I'll let her know to get more detailed pictures tomorrow.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Fortaleza posted:

Noticed two weeks ago some of the plums were getting white spots and now they mostly look like this:

:cry:

I’m guessing it’s a fungal infection and I’ve procured some fungicide and a sprayer, but am I too late? Will that sweet sweet brandy touch no lips this year??

I don't see anything out of the ordinary. Lots of fruits produce their own wax coating that looks like a white film. You can just wipe it off and it shines it up.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Bi-la kaifa posted:

I don't see anything out of the ordinary. Lots of fruits produce their own wax coating that looks like a white film. You can just wipe it off and it shines it up.

Hrmm, tried that and no dice, wasn't a coating. Got a closer pic, looks like a bunch are starting to turn black and curl up

I get the distinct feeling this tree's been neglected for years by previous owners, like a lot of stuff around the house. Poor tree :(

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Taphrina pruni causing plum pocket disease?

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Oh yeah, that looks gross close up. I concur with what's above me. A couple of them have that banana shape going on

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Ah, after looking that up it explains everything I'm seeing. I'd originally thought the plums were that shape because of dehydration but naturally any sort of search for plum + dehydration just comes up with info about prunes :/

I knew there'd be some latin binomial that would get me past that information logjam. Thanks guys!

I've yet to see a fruit not affected by this so I'm not hopeful for this year, maybe some of the high up branches will produce some edible ones for the birds.

Fortaleza fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 3, 2021

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Last year I had rabbits in the woods but they didn't bother my garden. This year I found a bunch of my lilies with all of their leaves cropped and was wondering why the rabbits had gotten so bold (they have to go through a lot of yard to get to that garden which they haven't done before) until I found this cute little fucker behind my shed. I hope it was just hiding and they didn't make a bunch of babies under there—I don't think I have the heart to evict them.

Also here's some pictures of me inappropriately touching some Arisaema triphyllum—there's a whole fuckload of them coming up in the woods here and they're one of my favorites (yes I know I need to clean my nails I was gardening).

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

Wallet posted:

Also here's some pictures of me inappropriately touching some Arisaema triphyllum—there's a whole fuckload of them coming up in the woods here and they're one of my favorites (yes I know I need to clean my nails I was gardening).

I had one in my garden and the guy who plows our driveway killed it :(

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ash?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

I had one in my garden and the guy who plows our driveway killed it :(

Did you kill him back?

It sure does look like an Ash based on the leaf arrangement/shape and the bark.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Yeah, opposite, compound leaves sure looks like an ash to me but I have no idea about Australian trees.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Does anyone have a favorite copper based spray for dealing with downy mildew on shrubs? I went outside this morning and I have 4 that are just covered in the stuff and it wasn't obviously there even yesterday. Or another suggestion for dealing with it? These are well established bushes and as much as I don't love them, I don't want to lose the space filler right now.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

gently caress vines. I just rescued my Japanese magnolia from a Carolina jessamine I foolishly planted, my bridal wreath from a lady banks rose I foolishly planted and my philadelphus from a villein unknowne. And then I had to rescue a sasanqua from being swallowed by said philadelphus. It’s funny when you are waging desperate battle with one half of a plant and trying to loving rescue the other half. And what I set out to do today was work up and seed beds in the front. Maybe tomorrow. And as I say ‘gently caress vines’ I’m trying to figure out where to plant more vines, but they’re gloriosa lilies that will at least reliably die back every winter and not totally invade everything.

The ground was also at that perfect moisture level where it’s easy to pull up 3-4’ tall whole trees so gently caress camphor and cherry laurels while we’re at it.

Is there any way to keep things (Japanese magnolia in this case) from suckering from the base? Am I pruning something wrong or is it just because it’s getting light on the trunk down there?

Jhet posted:

Does anyone have a favorite copper based spray for dealing with downy mildew on shrubs? I went outside this morning and I have 4 that are just covered in the stuff and it wasn't obviously there even yesterday. Or another suggestion for dealing with it? These are well established bushes and as much as I don't love them, I don't want to lose the space filler right now.
Bordeaux mixture maybe? I’m not really sure about downy mildew, but it’s my understanding that almost all fungicides are more preventative than curative and might keep it from spreading further but won’t kill what’s already there.

I’m too lazy to spray much of anything so my philosophy is that if it can’t survive in this climate with a little fertilizer and water and occasional vine rescue, it probably doesn’t have a place in my yard.

E: I know downy mildew can be a problem on squash so you might ask the other thread if you haven’t already.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yeah. Good idea. It’s still there and we’ve gotten plenty of wet weather this week that it’s not gotten any better.

I’ve been waging a slow war with ivy vines this week myself. There’s also what I think may be clematis that I’ve been pulling from my veggie beds, but I’m not letting it get big enough to really know.

The picture of that big monster shrub thing is not a wisteria. I do have one next to it, but this has the wrong sort of leaves for it so far. It’s just so strange looking and I can’t see anything else in the neighborhood that makes an ID easy or possible yet. Once it fully grows in again I’ll take better pictures.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Someone on Reddit has a fasciated pineapple that’s pretty neat.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is there any way to keep things (Japanese magnolia in this case) from suckering from the base? Am I pruning something wrong or is it just because it’s getting light on the trunk down there?

I don't think so, you just gotta keep popping them off :shrug:. Ostensibly over pruning can do it but that doesn't seem all that true in my experience, some trees just sucker (particularly when they aren't that large and/or are grafts).

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

gently caress vines.

We have a ton of bittersweet and multiflora rose out here that both try to take over the woods wherever they pop up and they'll pull big old trees down to the ground in no time. The saplings it grabs onto don't have a chance and you end up with a weird little tree shaped blob that's covered in roses. I haven't planted many vines because I'm always paranoid they'll start cannibalizing my other plants.

Platystemon posted:

Someone on Reddit has a fasciated pineapple that’s pretty neat.

I want to eat this real bad for some reason.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Hey Wallet, how’s your $30 Japanese maple doing?

Because mine has leafed out in spectacular fashion, I only regret not additionally getting one of the uglier ones it was with to really do some trunk shaping + bending on

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Hey Wallet, how’s your $30 Japanese maple doing?

Because mine has leafed out in spectacular fashion, I only regret not additionally getting one of the uglier ones it was with to really do some trunk shaping + bending on

Yours is looking great! Mine has only been in the ground for 9 days or something like that but it has started really leafing out in the past week as did the smaller Atropurpureum I got from them last year—maybe it's something in the air.

Here it is right when I planted it vs this morning:

The shape of it isn't entirely ideal but at least this one has a leader I can work with—the others they had looked like I'd have to hack out half of the crown to establish one. I was sort of considering getting another one and just plopping it in the ground on the other side of my fence because what can another japanese maple hurt but they were all sold within 24 hours.

I spent a decent chunk of this weekend comparing my spreadsheet and the plants in the ground to get everything properly sorted and synched up and recorded (a lot of the stuff I planted last year wasn't in there properly) and then tagging all of them with little black plastic labels and paint pens. There was a lot of identifying and comparing and trying to remember plants that I don't remember planting but clearly I planted them because there they are. I got everything identified to at least the genus level but trying to ID weird ornamental hybrids and cultivars is the loving worst.

I went through quite a few more labels than I thought I would. Apparently there are ~235 different species/cultivars I've put in somewhere or another in the yard (there's a few that are planted in multiple places so they're in the sheet twice). More of them are from the Depot than I would have thought.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 10, 2021

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Wallet posted:

Yours is looking great! Mine has only been in the ground for 9 days or something like that but it has started really leafing out in the past week as did the smaller Atropurpureum I got from them last year—maybe it's something in the air.

Here it is right when I planted it vs this morning:

The shape of it isn't entirely ideal but at least this one has a leader I can work with—the others they had looked like I'd have to hack out half of the crown to establish one. I was sort of considering getting another one and just plopping it in the ground on the other side of my fence because what can another japanese maple hurt but they were all sold within 24 hours.

I spent a decent chunk of this weekend comparing my spreadsheet and the plants in the ground to get everything properly sorted and synched up and recorded (a lot of the stuff I planted last year wasn't in there properly) and then tagging all of them with little black plastic labels and paint pens. There was a lot of identifying and comparing and trying to remember plants that I don't remember planting but clearly I planted them because there they are. I got everything identified to at least the genus level but trying to ID weird ornamental hybrids and cultivars is the loving worst.

I went through quite a few more labels than I thought I would. Apparently there are ~235 different species/cultivars I've put in somewhere or another in the yard (there's a few that are planted in multiple places so they're in the sheet twice). More of them are from the Depot than I would have thought.
Where the heck are y'all getting $30 japanese maples that size???

I was really jealous of your spreadsheet and wish I'd done the same. Instead my plant inventory is 'That's some kind of phlox someone gave me and I thiiiiiinkk that daylily is the 'Ming Porcelain' but I'll have to wait till it blooms to know for sure.' I think bookkeeping is a really important part of serious horticultue especially if you get into breeding your own stuff and doing trials for different varieties but I am way too chaotic for that.

Some episode of 'Gardener's World' they were atsome garden that said they do a trial of some kind of annual every year and it was really neat. They'd grown like 150 different flavors of annual vines that year. Planting like, nothing but 20 varieties of okra one year and 20 zinnias or something the next could be a neat theme for a rotating annual garden.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

home despot

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Some episode of 'Gardener's World' they were atsome garden that said they do a trial of some kind of annual every year and it was really neat. They'd grown like 150 different flavors of annual vines that year. Planting like, nothing but 20 varieties of okra one year and 20 zinnias or something the next could be a neat theme for a rotating annual garden.

I work next to a trial garden like this. It's oddly orderly for a garden but still beautiful and full of birds, bees, and butterflies. They dress it up by lining the outside with perennials and adding potted ornamentals around the paths.

This was a few years ago when the monarchs passed through: https://imgur.com/kd0BoVe

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I was really jealous of your spreadsheet and wish I'd done the same. Instead my plant inventory is 'That's some kind of phlox someone gave me and I thiiiiiinkk that daylily is the 'Ming Porcelain' but I'll have to wait till it blooms to know for sure.' I think bookkeeping is a really important part of serious horticultue especially if you get into breeding your own stuff and doing trials for different varieties but I am way too chaotic for that.

Oh, I've definitely got some of that. I have things marked in a different color that I can't identify with real specificity until they actually flower, and I just put the genus on the label next to the plant for now. At least I know what they are so that I can remember to go and identify them once they're flowering. Most of the work is definitely getting everything in there to start with; I can handle adding stuff as I plant it easily enough I think.

I originally started the whole spreadsheet thing not to organize my garden but to organize plants I didn't have yet because I started the gardens here when the pandemic was just kicking off so everything was mail order and I couldn't keep track of what was supposed to go where and how much sun everything needed and on and on.

If it makes anyone happy here's a blank version of the (somewhat overcomplicated but probably easy enough to use) spreadsheet I use for tracking muh garden plants (File > Make a copy to be able to edit it).

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Mine actually just got 8 or 10 more of them in and I am mighty tempted despite having nowhere practical to put more of them in the ground. I have no clue how they're making money on it.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 10, 2021

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Wallet posted:

Mine actually just got 8 or 10 more of them in and I am mighty tempted despite having nowhere practical to put more of them in the ground. I have no clue how they're making money on it.

My theory is that Monrovia or whomever is growing them is just doing it in a massive way. So they make more money by quantity, and they ship out the trees that look okay, but won't fetch a better price next year. The garden center I was at earlier to pick up copper Bonide fungus killer has a whole Japanese Maple section and those trees were no where near $30, but they were much bigger by a few years.

I mean really, it's not like they're hard to start. I pulled out 40-50 of them this weekend. So they probably just rake up a bunch of them, dump them into starts and then make money through attrition.

As an aside, that garden center is okay with pricing things at the higher level, but everything was getting the opposite of home depot treatment, where they were being mostly underwatered. There were entire tables of tomatoes that all needed water, and house plants were even worse. They were mostly as dry as a new rockwool cube.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Jhet posted:

My theory is that Monrovia or whomever is growing them is just doing it in a massive way. So they make more money by quantity, and they ship out the trees that look okay, but won't fetch a better price next year. The garden center I was at earlier to pick up copper Bonide fungus killer has a whole Japanese Maple section and those trees were no where near $30, but they were much bigger by a few years.

I think it could partially be something like this but I don't think that's the whole story. The vast majority of ornamental garden plants aren't particularly hard to start, but they take up a lot of space and you have to pay to take care of them until they're saleable. I've noticed that plants that are too cheap at the homeless deathspots around here are almost always sold unattached to the name of an actual cultivar. The Japanese maples they have now are just tagged "Green Japanese Maple". Plants at more normal price points usually list the cultivar if there is one: the much smaller Japanese maple I got from them last year for twice the price was marked as cv. Atropurpureum.

This year the one close to me has had a ton of very inexpensive hosta in little quart pots—at actual nurseries I pretty much exclusively see (further developed) hosta sold at 16-30$ a plant in gallon pots for whatever reason, so for $4.99 a plant or whatever I picked some up. Despite having stocked five separate varieties that at least to me appear to be easily identifiable cultivars every single one is just tagged Hosta hybrid—I looked up the nursery growing them (they had their own barcode on the pot) and they're commercial but they're nearby and not that large.

I don't know exactly what the story is but I suspect it's nurseries dumping plants that don't meet whatever metrics (their own or potentially whoever owns the trademark on the original cultivar) as nonames into Home Depot's supply line because they can sell them in bulk. The japanese maples they're dumping at $30 all have at least borderline structural issues that would make me not want to pour two or three more years into them if I were going to try to sell them to an actual garden center/nursery—I don't know enough about hosta to really say what might be deficient about them but I'm guessing it's something.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 11, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
aren’t these grafted?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Failing to list the type is endemic to the industry. I think people just don’t care. Look at all the houseplants sold only as “houseplant” or “rear end. foliage”.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

aren’t these grafted?

I had assumed so but I can't find the graft on mine and I didn't check the rest.

Platystemon posted:

Failing to list the type is endemic to the industry. I think people just don’t care. Look at all the houseplants sold only as “houseplant” or “rear end. foliage”.

Sort of, but all of the tags on garden plants at Home Depot (at least the ones here) are printed by them with their logo on it and poo poo and most list the scientific name and the cultivar if there is one (even if both are in tiny little letters because no one else cares). Their houseplants, weirdly, are tagged by the supplier (and actually whoever supplies the local stores with succulents is super on the ball about giving the correct id, I don't pay much or any attention to their other houseplants).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Platystemon posted:

yeah, honestly in a lot of ways Home Depot/Lowe’s (or rather Costa, etc) are way better about information than more legit plant stores

Edit: what Wallet said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sometimes the pot has a sticker with information that isn’t on the hanging tag.

This is something that probably everyone in this thread already knows, but I’ve seen people surprised by it elsewhere.