Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

Well Felix Verdejo (might be) a murderer.

Believer in the presumption of innocence, but it’s hard to see how he might not be at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Billy Joe Saunders sounds like a real tool.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

LLCoolJD posted:

Billy Joe Saunders sounds like a real tool.

he's an absolute scumbag and I hope that Canelo beats him into retirement if not a wheelchair

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Julio Cruz posted:

he's an absolute scumbag and I hope that Canelo beats him into retirement if not a wheelchair

Agreed. He’s a complete scum bag. Involved in a lot of poo poo by choice still despite not needing to be anymore, and is horrendous as a person.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Assuming he doesn’t pull out of the fight (and Saunders has pulled out of multiple fights in the past, though always claiming injury), it will be nice to never care about Billy Joe Saunders again.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
He was supposedly threatening to pull out of the fight because the ring was too small but walked that back. Just pathetic stuff.

https://twitter.com/LargeBarstool/status/1389672602097131520?s=19

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
PUSSY

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
yeah, canelo, show some bollocks and give bjs an enormous ring to run around in

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

LobsterMobster posted:

yeah, canelo, show some bollocks and give bjs an enormous ring to run around in

What’s odd is he’s always fought in 20ft rings, so his argument for wanting a bigger one is complete bullshit.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

willie_dee posted:

What’s odd is he’s always fought in 20ft rings, so his argument for wanting a bigger one is complete bullshit.

i think his argument for a bigger one is completely sensible considering what his style is and who he's fighting.

however i do believe canelo would cut him off and cut him down if they boxed on a football pitch. i would be stunned if bjs has footwork that canelo just couldn't deal with.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i was looking at canelo's fight history to see if there was any indication that bjs stood a chance and what i came up with was 'probably not, if bjs was the fighter he was today and canelo regressed 5 years'.

however, despite what i consider scoring fuckery i am so glad we got canelo / ggg twice. loving classics. i was browsing ggg's wikipedia page and came across this amazing quote:

quote:

According to David Imoesiri, a heavyweight who worked as a sparring partner for Alexander Povetkin and completed six different training camps in Big Bear, sparred for a total of about a hundred rounds with Golovkin. Imoesiri said Golovkin routinely dispatched of heavyweights and hit harder than Povetkin

also:

quote:

Will Clemons, a cruiserweight, who worked with both Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Golovkin, told: "You know it's an experience of a lifetime, Floyd would definitely make you work, make you think a lot. 'Triple G' make[s] you fear for your life. For real, that's the kind of power he has, and everything is hard from the jab. ... I wanted to feel that power, which I did, I got what I was asking for. Usually they make you wear rib protectors. My heart's had it I didn't wanna wear one, and then I learned my lesson. I got hit with a body shot that felt like ... it was a missile. ... It was a great experience to be in there with the hardest-hitting middleweight in history."

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I don’t think the ring complaint was that serious they were just throwing some weight around

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Marching Powder posted:

however, despite what i consider scoring fuckery i am so glad we got canelo / ggg twice. loving classics.

I'd be ok with someone scoring the 2nd fight a draw, but GGG absolutely took the 1st bout.

Like you said though, loving classics and I'm glad we at least got those.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1390385369435283463?s=19

Big value for $ imo. Also :rip: the man formerly known as Chad OchoCinco

Edit: Floyd coming for Jake. Definitely think this has to happen after the Logan exhibition.

https://twitter.com/ShowtimeBoxing/status/1390405339963666438?s=19

https://youtu.be/kdbhx_8EBmk

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 6, 2021

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Mayweather thrashing Paul will be on YouTube in no time. Plus I won't have to pay for it or sit through the ridiculous undercards and shows. Long story short no way will I pay to see this nonsense but the highlights might be fun to check out.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

LLCoolJD posted:

Mayweather thrashing Paul will be on YouTube in no time. Plus I won't have to pay for it or sit through the ridiculous undercards and shows. Long story short no way will I pay to see this nonsense but the highlights might be fun to check out.

i thought that went without saying?

wait... does someone here legally buy youtuber headlined ppvs? that's pretty depraved.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

The SituAsian posted:

Edit: Floyd coming for Jake. Definitely think this has to happen after the Logan exhibition.

https://twitter.com/ShowtimeBoxing/status/1390405339963666438?s=19

https://youtu.be/kdbhx_8EBmk

I really think Floyd is gonna legit kill this man in front of an audience of millions.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Are betmakers taking odds on this fight?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

pentyne posted:

Are betmakers taking odds on this fight?

the odds of floyd throwing the fight for whatever reason are greater than the possibility that he is legitimately beaten by paul. so yes.

e: to my frank surprise, my bookmaker is not.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This is one of the few I could find from sportsbetting.ag

quote:

29191 Paul, Logan +800
29192 Mayweather, Floyd -1500

I found this for comparison

quote:

29107 Davis, Keyshawn -10000
29108 Meza, Jose Antonio +2000

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

Marching Powder posted:

wait... does someone here legally buy youtuber headlined ppvs? that's pretty depraved.

Better go here and pay Triller $50 before they get you for 150K https://www.fite.tv/page/041721piracysettlement/?cjevent=91e16744ad4511eb816462390a82b821

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

You are correct I am certainly preaching to the choir on this one.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

pentyne posted:

This is one of the few I could find from sportsbetting.ag

I found this for comparison

yeah no wonder nobody is taking bets. both of those are poo poo bets imo but i don't have an alternative suggestion because i am not aware of a 'contest' this one sided actually happening. 'floyd wins, unless he chooses not to' is absolutely a chance. floyd would piss off everyone on earth if he went down. it wouldn't affect his professional record, and the rematch would be the freest money of all time.

this is literally the best boxer in the world fighting some guy. wow. can't believe that i get to see this.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Parrotine posted:

I really think Floyd is gonna legit kill this man in front of an audience of millions.

Jake Paul causing Floyd Mayweather to kill his brother in the ring is a plot from my social media influencer anime crossover fever dreams.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I just want to say that if any posters in this thread are already posting with an unspoken gimmick that the Paul brothers are just both the same person, I support you in all your efforts.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

The SituAsian posted:

Jake Paul causing Floyd Mayweather to kill his brother in the ring is a plot from my social media influencer anime crossover fever dreams.

Has that ever happened before? Somebody died in the middle of a boxing match from a savage blow?

I've heard it happen in UFC a couple of times but not in a boxing match.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Parrotine posted:

Has that ever happened before? Somebody died in the middle of a boxing match from a savage blow?

as far as i'm aware there hasn't been a 'pronounced dead at the scene' death in modern combat sports. usually they either immediately or within a day or two slip into a coma and die later.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
you should check your sources because no-one's ever died in the middle of a UFC fight

e: unless you're using "UFC" as a catch-all for all MMA fights, including non-sanctioned ones, in which case you should probably stop doing that

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Parrotine posted:

List of deaths due to injuries sustained in boxing

One death a few weeks ago, four in 2019. Overall...yeah, it happens.

Fatalities in mixed martial arts contests

This list is less well organized and MMA is much newer so everything on it should be roughly the last 30 years, I am unaware of any deaths resulting from UFC fights, but it seems like it does happen in MMA overall, especially in unregulated or poorly regulated amateur bouts.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Parrotine posted:

The vast majority of deaths in both boxing and mma are usually as a result of accumulated damage rather than a single shot. The closest one that immediately comes to mind, and I don't know if he was actually medically dead in the ring and it wasn't from a single shot, would be Emil Griffith vs Benny Paret

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e8jRdW73Sg

*Warning* Difficult to watch

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

The SituAsian posted:

The vast majority of deaths in both boxing and mma are usually as a result of accumulated damage rather than a single shot. The closest one that immediately comes to mind, and I don't know if he was actually medically dead in the ring and it wasn't from a single shot, would be Emil Griffith vs Benny Paret

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e8jRdW73Sg

*Warning* Difficult to watch

That's perhaps the most famous one, though it does happen. Max Baer vs Frankie Campbell was another.

No-one has ever died in the UFC cage.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The ref will almost certainly step in before that, otherwise, if bouts were just thunderdome, McGregor about a million other people would be dead already.

I like how the YouTube man has turned the professional heel into the good guy
I swear I heard Mayweather say something like "I didn't/wouldn't do that to you."

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 12:17 on May 7, 2021

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I kinda think BJS will keep things interesting for six or so rounds and then get waxed

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
BJS is very slick. He has a decent chance of winning 8 or 9 rounds (and then getting screwed on the cards).

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think Canelo runs through him, but who can say if he's on the juice. :shrug:

Always that shadow hanging over Canelo for me, which is a shame because he's clearly great.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
IMO the only route to victory for BJS is to hope Canelo gasses out early and then win rounds 5-12 so decisively that even lovely judges can't not give them to him

which is quite an ask

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 8, 2021

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Their both going to be hella juiced but BJS is such an unbelievably lovely person I hope his career is over after tonight

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Their both going to be hella juiced

Unfortunately there's just so much money on the line it seems unlikely that any competitor isn't on something.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

once jmm started juicing i just sort of accepted it as part of the sport

it’s probably not in the top 10 most harmful things about this sport so whatever you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

once jmm started juicing i just sort of accepted it as part of the sport

it’s probably not in the top 10 most harmful things about this sport so whatever you know?

i think artificially making yourself significantly physically stronger and faster in the pursuit of causing the most damage to another human person is deeply morally incorrect when compared to say the tour de france.