Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Sjs00 posted:

I guess to prevent a vigilante from doling out justice we would need some kind of due process and consequences that would be enforced regardless of the offender's race gender religious belief etc
Sure wish we had one of those!!

Same, but unironically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
a rap ho

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

A few weeks ago my city posted a notification about keeping unnecessary outdoor lights off in late May/early April so migratory birds don't get disoriented on their way throught.

The comments included such scintillating stunners as:

"I think I'll keep mine on and keep burglars away but you guys worry about the birds"

"I wonder what year it will be when "encouraged" changes to "forced""

"If I turn off my security lighting I'm worried about 'jailbirds' hitting my house"

"More social conditioning"

"Canaries in the 5G mine"

"BLM. Bird Lives Matter."

The best comment, sadly now deleted, linked to a conspiracy blog post about Walpurgisnacht rituals because an optional movement to turn off your lights is clearly part of a larger Satanic ritual to control the population

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Holy poo poo, just saw a post on my local ND from a lady looking for help with yard work….and she’s actually offering a decent rate of $15 an hour.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
That's code for sex work.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Weka posted:

That's code for sex work.

You’re right! I just went over there and made $1.87!

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

You’re right! I just went over there and made $1.87!

For anyone who's curious, that's around 7 and a half minutes before DarkSoulsTantrum popped the custard cork.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Armitag3 posted:

For anyone who's curious, that's around 7 and a half minutes before DarkSoulsTantrum popped the custard cork.

I was, thank you!

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
Anyone who truly believes he has friends is a fool.
Truly, this man is king amongst goonkind.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

coronatae posted:

A few weeks ago my city posted a notification about keeping unnecessary outdoor lights off in late May/early April so migratory birds don't get disoriented on their way throught.

"I think I'll keep mine on and keep burglars away but you guys worry about the birds"

"If I turn off my security lighting I'm worried about 'jailbirds' hitting my house"

The best comment, sadly now deleted, linked to a conspiracy blog post about Walpurgisnacht rituals because an optional movement to turn off your lights is clearly part of a larger Satanic ritual to control the population

The main theme of this entire country has basically become: 'YOU CAN"T MAKE ME!!! WHAAAAA!!'

Which usually results in: '... no one tried to make you??'

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

thank you for your service o_o7

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

coronatae posted:

Another example of so called conservatives being steadfastly against actually conserving anything ever.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The environment is the enemy for these types. FF companies said so

rbk
Nov 2, 2005

I really believe there are things nobody would see if I didn't photograph them.
My local NextDoor has been downhill from our Bread Lady saga. An elderly woman who throws slices of bread into yards and park pathways along the sidewalk to “feed wild animals” raised the ire of the entire neighborhood after people posted about their dogs getting sick from eating moldy bread. Memes were created. Police were called, repeatedly. The local news ran a story. Ultimately, nothing has been able to get this woman to stop throwing bread everywhere. Some posters allege that she is being protected by people in high places.

https://www.wowt.com/content/news/Neighbors-Woman-leaves-trail-of-bread-in-neighborhood-attracting-pests--451161113.html

rbk fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 8, 2021

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I went on mine because some friendly cats came around to say hi so I wanted to see if they actually belonged to someone who thought they were missing or whatever but I happened to talk to that person not long after and they just let their friendly cats out at night.

There was also a thread with several hundred replies about stopping for people at crosswalks, featuring several people advocating just running over anyone walking.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 8, 2021

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
The good:

quote:

Lost Cat. Our cat Luce (Lucifer) went out last night and didn't come home. He is a black short-hair domestic cat and is very friendly. Luce is about 18 years old and is quite thin but not necessarily small. Thank you for keeping an eye out for Lucifer.

quote:

I’m so sorry to hear this. We are on the lookout for sweet Lucifer!

The bad:

quote:

About a week and a half ago, a white middle-aged bald man came up into our yard and stole our sign that read ”Racism Has No Home Here”. Ironically he left the metal stand on our handrail. I was so startled to see this man’s head, I didn’t look closer, or see his face. My husband was working in the side yard and saw this man and a woman walk across our yard and proceed north toward Grand Ave. We didn’t notice that our sign was missing until some days later. In talking with other neighbors since then, I've learned that others have also had similar lawn signs stolen. Have others seen this couple or others stealing signs? Have you seen any of the stolen signs lying around? Sad commentary.

The ugly:

quote:

Wow look whos judging me because I think signs in yards are dumb funny you don’t even know me and have judged me because I think signs in are are dumb. I don’t need a sign to represent who I am or what I believe look at yourself before you judge others.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 11:11 on May 8, 2021

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

rbk posted:

My local NextDoor has been downhill from our Bread Lady saga. An elderly woman who throws slices of bread into yards and park pathways along the sidewalk to “feed wild animals” raised the ire of the entire neighborhood after people posted about their dogs getting sick from eating moldy bread. Memes were created. Police were called, repeatedly. The local news ran a story. Ultimately, nothing has been able to get this woman to stop throwing bread everywhere. Some posters allege that she is being protected by people in high places.

https://www.wowt.com/content/news/Neighbors-Woman-leaves-trail-of-bread-in-neighborhood-attracting-pests--451161113.html

This woman has severe mental illness

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

This woman has severe mental illness

Shouldn’t stop anyone from throwing bags of rotten food in her yard imo. She can’t be stopped lol gently caress that.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

There was also a thread with several hundred replies about stopping for people at crosswalks, featuring several people advocating just running over anyone walking.

Hey this is also my local next door and I'm the big idiot who clicked on that thread. This exchange broke my brain

Poster 1 posted:

"We are the most wasteful in the world in the use of gas and it is not because of slowing down or stopping for pedestrians"

Poster 2 posted:

"your comments are ableist and annoying. Speak for yourself instead of using we. Some people have to drive because they don't have the ability to walk or bike everywhere"

:negative:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

a rich guy used to have his children flown to school in a helicopter, and it'd pass over our neighborhood 4X per day starting at 7:30am shaking everyone's houses.

it made for some A+ next door complaints

pandemic put an end to it tho.

or maybe they all crashed and died, which would be even better

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Elder Postsman posted:

Hey this is also my local next door and I'm the big idiot who clicked on that thread. This exchange broke my brain

:negative:

laughing at running over people using crosswalks to create more handicapped people

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

"It's a good idea to let my senior cat the color of darkness outside unsupervised at night. OH NO FLUFFY DIDN'T COME BACK!!!!!"

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

I love in Saint Louis County. We have different of tiny postage stamp "cities" with their own mayors, police, boards of aldermen, etc. It's a poo poo show. Our city's mayor is no exception, he's a giant rear end in a top hat, but the neighbors are just as wild. There are two neighboring "cities" literally touching, divided by a sidewalk at an intersection, with sub-500 populations in each city, and they have very similar names based on old Saint Louis City neighborhood designations.

People who have lived here for seventy years can't even keep the names of the cities straight. The fighting on Nextdoor here is great

Norm Neighborguy posted:

I posted a comment inquiring about the follow up to the closed meeting. and resulting posting of minutes from this concerning defunding the PD at Smallton. I had a brainfart and asked Smallton or Smallville. 

I received this snarky comment from Smallville's Mayor:

Norm, you seem to have trouble distinguishing between Smallville and Smallton. Please do not post comments if you are not sure to whom you are. The Smallville PD is alive and well as is our City government. We are at 1234 Big Rock Road if you ever want to venture out and familiarize yourself with your neighboring community.

Thank you,

Bill Mayorguy - Mayor, City of Smallville

So, I replied and asked him to then clarify the situation at Mom & Pop Cafe, with an abeit sarcastic "asking for a friend", and he took snarky up a step:

Why don't you have your friend contact me directly and I can point him to where the situation with Mom & Pop was explained in detail on this site. Meanwhile, I recommend you stick to issues happening in your own City instead of worrying about Smallville. There is plenty of fodder for you to focus your attention on. Thank you.

It occurs to me the govt representatives have forgotten they are elected to serve us. Thank Goodness we have some new leadership at Townville! But it appears Smallville and Smallton have ongoing communication issues.

Mayor: the reply you make puncuates the poor PR, responsive government, and ongoing issues that citizens are wanting resolved. These little communities all interact. It DOES affect me when a favorite eating establishment is closed down. What other debacles are you creating???

Eta: here's another one. Nobody knows who serves what area or why. gently caress yeah STLCo.

Keisha Postmaker posted:

Dumpster. Well I tried Townville to get a dumpster and it’s a no go. My thought is that if I lived in Smallton I was apart of Townville. NOPE. Back to square one

Randy Travesty fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 8, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

This one strikes me as especially weird because in my state the law is that pedestrians in crosswalks have absolute right of way.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This one strikes me as especially weird because in my state the law is that pedestrians in crosswalks have absolute right of way.

Yeah, that's the law here too, but you see pedestrians walk slowly when crossing the street, sometimes on purpose. And what if someone is looking at their phone and just steps out! Or what if it's night and they're wearing all black?? Hmmm????

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Elder Postsman posted:

Yeah, that's the law here too, but you see pedestrians walk slowly when crossing the street, sometimes on purpose. And what if someone is looking at their phone and just steps out! Or what if it's night and they're wearing all black?? Hmmm????

Are the anti-pedestrians arguing they should be able to have a little vehicular manslaughter, as a treat?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Are the anti-pedestrians arguing they should be able to have a little vehicular manslaughter, as a treat?

A shocking amount of drivers wholeheartedly believe they should be able to kill anyone who inconveniences them with their car

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
On the other hand, people like me who make 🛹 and by extension pissing off motorists, their lifestyle then you can begin to understand.
If someone killed me for being blazed and skating in the median then that would not be a net loss on society.
The Doctor walking across the street to the Hospital would not be a jaywalker worth running over etc

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sjs00 posted:

On the other hand, people like me who make 🛹 and by extension pissing off motorists, their lifestyle then you can begin to understand.
If someone killed me for being blazed and skating in the median then that would not be a net loss on society.
The Doctor walking across the street to the Hospital would not be a jaywalker worth running over etc

I think there's a difference between saying you wouldn't feel guilty if some idiot unintentionally suicided into your car by whatever means and actively hoping for it to happen or even trying to expedite matters.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Tetramin posted:

A shocking amount of drivers wholeheartedly believe they should be able to kill anyone who inconveniences them with their car

Sjs00 posted:

lol

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I think there's a difference between saying you wouldn't feel guilty if some idiot unintentionally suicided into your car by whatever means and actively hoping for it to happen or even trying to expedite matters.

Oh there absolutely is . But as a pedestrian its not impossible or even difficult to cross roads?

For a pedestrian to be hit while jaywalking (read: protesting on the street versus the sidewalk) by a car and becoming legal I can understand (don't fuckin agree; understand)

For folks just walking for say package/mail delivery is who this bill would really gently caress over incidentally.

What I mean to say is; cars hitting people because of assholeish has always been a thing legal or not. That this bill, which is specifically in response to last summer I believe, will also gently caress over random pedestrians incidentally, while bad, is not the specific intent.
I dont know why but I felt as someone who has experienced like all possible pedestrisn viewpoints in this bill I needed to make that distinction clear. This bill is specifically to make hitting protesters legal; because they do not stay on the sidewalks like the pigs tell them to

Sjs00 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 9, 2021

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
randoms who get hit because of stupid reasons or looking at their phone just deserve it basically myself included
which has never happened but maybe in the future people will start chasing me in their cars trying to kill me won't that be fun

Sjs00 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 9, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I missed that there was a fascist anti-protest bill in the mix here, because gently caress that.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I missed that there was a fascist anti-protest bill in the mix here, because gently caress that.

here is where I lol

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I don't walk here much or ride my bike on the roads at all. I don't trust drivers. If I ride my bike I drive it to a trail even if the trail is a mile or two away.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Guess where it's from. Go on, guess.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Probably the united states of america

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Milo and POTUS posted:

Probably the united states of america

Close!

Florida!

Let's give it back to the Spaniards.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

smoobles posted:

a rich guy used to have his children flown to school in a helicopter, and it'd pass over our neighborhood 4X per day starting at 7:30am shaking everyone's houses.

it made for some A+ next door complaints

pandemic put an end to it tho.

or maybe they all crashed and died, which would be even better

Yeah, didn't you hear about Kobe?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Close!

Florida!

Let's give it back to the Spaniards.

I missed that Florida was in the mix here, because gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Just to add things that there are once in a while nextdoor threads that are helpful. When covid started it was a good source to find out when trash wasn't going to be picked up and when it will be. I haven't checked it since though.