Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
I have a 52” Bradley Stand on ZTR mower. Stand ons are much safer for mowing inclines because you can jump off of it easily. And the standing platform folds away and you can walk behind it. $4800 to my door. 48 month 0% financing. It’s no frills but built like a tank.

I’d recommend a stand on ZTR for anyone with back problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mds2 posted:

I have a 52” Bradley Stand on ZTR mower. Stand ons are much safer for mowing inclines because you can jump off of it easily. And the standing platform folds away and you can walk behind it. $4800 to my door. 48 month 0% financing. It’s no frills but built like a tank.

I’d recommend a stand on ZTR for anyone with back problems.

Now that's interesting. It's like a hydro walk behind with a velke that doesn't need a wheel/doesn't leave and extra stripe.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
This is all good to hear. We're getting ready to move into our new house in a few weeks and the garage is going to need some organizational love. It's a deep single bay with good height and enough width to work on a vehicle but that means narrow storage on the sides. Very long term goal would be to increase the width and make it a double stall.

I'm thinking of having a bench in the back and then a few tall metal cabinets either from harbor freight/Costco/home Depot, and a few rolling boxes/surfaces so that I can move things around if needed. I too enjoy having things hidden away to keep from getting dusty/gross.

Over the years I've learned having a lot of work surface is important to me but I also like the idea of moving a cart so that I can create more room if needed

Verman fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 9, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Something that size/number of drawers really isn't a cart. It will be too heavy to move if you use it like it's made to be used.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Motronic posted:

Now that's interesting. It's like a hydro walk behind with a velke that doesn't need a wheel/doesn't leave and extra stripe.

https://www.bradleymowers.com/products/bradley-52-stand-on-compact-mower-briggs-vanguard?taxon_id=5

That’s the one I have. It’s gone up in price a bit.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

tater_salad posted:

I always recommend Ryobi for the average home user. The price is right and the list of tools is huge. for common tools (drills, impact drivers) they also have low mid and high end tools for what fits your need. Other than that you're looking at DeWalt Makita and Milwaukee, what color looks better.
Stay away from stuff like kobalt, my buddy didn't listen, then wanted a trim nailer and realized he'd need to buy into another system because kobalt doesn have one.

Lowe’s hasn’t killed off Kobalt quite yet but it’s definitely been deprecated since their Craftsman acquisition. If you’re married to buying from Lowe’s you should be able to find a Craftsman equivalent to nearly anything Ryobi has available.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Just a chime in to say that ryobi tools are totally the right price but if you're the type of person who uses tools to do stupid poo poo or are just generally mean to them they don't last long. If you are that type of person I can't recommend Makita stuff enough. I beat the gently caress out of their cordless tools on the daily and they take the beating. I've made the magic smoke appear on way to many ryobi tools to not throw out this little caveat.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Lowe’s hasn’t killed off Kobalt quite yet but it’s definitely been deprecated since their Craftsman acquisition. If you’re married to buying from Lowe’s you should be able to find a Craftsman equivalent to nearly anything Ryobi has available.

He was looking at craftsman and I said. Hmm this looks decent. He went kobalt.

In other news Ryobi days are happening still 5/24 so you get 2 4ah batteries and. 99 Dollar Tool for 99bux

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I thought Kobalt was moving upmarket to compete with Rigid?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

I thought Kobalt was moving upmarket to compete with Rigid?

If they are then they sure aren’t giving them the shelf space to do it.

I prefer the Kobalt hand tools to Husky though.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Kobalt has always been, from a marketing perspective at least, above Ryobi and (Lowes)Craftsmen, and I'd put Craftsmen down below Ryobi.

Kobalt's power tools were actually very competitive with the other major brands but they've never been and I doubt were meant to be as full featured as the big lines. The real problem with Kobalt now is that the OEM behind them, Chervon, is now bringing out their own line of tools under the Flex brand so its hard to see how Kobalt isn't going to be playing second fiddle to Flex like Ryobi does to Milwaukee.

I have a number of Kobalt tools, in addition to Makita and Ryobi, because they really do have some good unique offerings in addition to the standard stuff, like their ratchet and die-grinder, and find myself pretty disappointed with the Flex situation.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Replacing (Sears) Craftsman 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" ratchets with Kobalt was a giant step up in quality. It might be an unfair comparison because the Kobalts are the 90 teeth version vs. baseline Craftsman, but there is a noticeable difference in how well made stuff like the direction toggle is, too.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

You can also skip the hassle of french cleats and just put up plywood instead of drywall and screw whatever the heck you want to it wherever the heck you want.

Oh you are cruel. You know that then he'd have to go stand in line in the woodworking thread to bitch about how prices for plywood and sheet goods have skyrocketed.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
A few years before we bought this house, apparently some guys who did contracting work rented it and left behind a bunch of poo poo in our weird backyard garage. Among other things there's this pile of nail gun nails:

Is this pile worth anything? If so, how much, and how weird are the guys who are likely to show up for a loose pile of nail gun nails?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Danhenge posted:

A few years before we bought this house, apparently some guys who did contracting work rented it and left behind a bunch of poo poo in our weird backyard garage. Among other things there's this pile of nail gun nails:

Is this pile worth anything? If so, how much, and how weird are the guys who are likely to show up for a loose pile of nail gun nails?

Those are mostly coil nails for roofing. Although roofers are weird in general, and probably never will show, they're unpredictable and might take the entire roof away out of spite if you throw their leftover nails away. You just never know with roofers.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Danhenge posted:

Nails are not very valuable. If they were screws it would be a different story

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Rutibex posted:

Nails are not very valuable. If they were screws it would be a different story

If they were screws I'd be keeping them so that tracks. Maybe the local metal recycling place will pay for them.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
This just sounds like a good excuse to buy a roofing nailer

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

your local habitat for humanity will almost certainly take them + put them to use

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Home Depot has displays out for Milwaukee and Ryobi tool deals starting on 5/24 so if you're looking to jump into a new platform might wanna hold out for a couple weeks.

Right now seems to be buy a 2 battery starter kit, get a free tool from a list of tools.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Any idea what kind of tools would be available with that? I bought this $299 kit but it's currently sitting unopened. It comes with a drill, impact driver, reciprocating saw, circular saw, and multi-tool. I don't really want the multi-tool, so there's also this $199 kit that is the same except without the multi-tool or circular saw. I do want a circular saw, so maybe I should get the $199 kit then pick up some extra batteries and a "free" circular saw?

Or maybe I get this $299 kit that subs the multi-tool for a brad nailer, which seems more useful (and the brad nailer is worth more than the multi-tool?) . And loses the tool bag and has 2x 2.0Ah batteries instead of a 1.5Ah and a 4.0 Ah.

Or maybe I'm grossly overthinking this all and I should just crack open the kit I've got and stop trying to over-optimize everything.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

This is just my opinion, and I'm just joe dumbass homeowner that doesn't really know as much about tools as most of the posters in this thread, but I'm not a fan of those bundle deals like that, especially if you don't need all the tools it comes with.

Here's a link to Slickdeals where they're talking about this years deal

https://slickdeals.net/f/15013669-ryobi-days-2021-4ah-battery-2-pack-free-tool-starting-5-24-home-depot

I bought the 2 batteries for 99 bucks deal 3 years ago, but it came with 2 of the 3ah Lithium+ HP batteries. It looks like these are 4ah non HP batteries. The newer HP and Brushless Ryobi tools need the HP rated batteries for best performance.

There's always tons of tool only deals for Ryobi, and if there is a Direct Tools outlet near you, you can pick up bare tools at a discount there pretty easily. It's easy to start with a solid set of batteries and a couple basics and then expand as you need more tools.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 10, 2021

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I think if I do that I am goi g to get a hammer drill and the two batteries. Maybe the circular saw.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
And to make things even more confusing, a lot of those tools you can't buy ala carte. So I have no idea what kind of value the drill + impact driver is because... you can't buy those standalone! Nor the circular saw. The reciprocating saw is $79. The brad nailer is $99. I know for me I do want the drill and the impact driver, and I do want a reciprocating saw (with a specific project in mind already) and the circular saw (another project in mind for that as well). I guess the Impact Driver is listed at $59 (but you can't actually buy it directly) and the kits come with two different circular saw, one of them is a 5 1/2" that's worth $59 (but again you can't really buy it directly) and the other is a 6 1/2", that well I guess you can buy that and it's $69. And, ok, the drill + charger + battery is $79. So maybe I can start to do some math here...

So excited to continuously over think every single decision involved here!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

FISHMANPET posted:

So maybe I can start to do some math here...

I was about to suggest that a system of equations might be a straightforward way to get you individual tool prices, but Ryobi has 157 results for combo kits at homedepot.com, so... yikes. Hope you have a few hours set aside to write them all down first!

Then again, you can probably speed it up if you ignore the cheaper add-on items like lights or bit sets.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Bloody posted:

your local habitat for humanity will almost certainly take them + put them to use

Good call, I shot them an e-mail.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

And to make things even more confusing, a lot of those tools you can't buy ala carte. So I have no idea what kind of value the drill + impact driver is because... you can't buy those standalone! Nor the circular saw. The reciprocating saw is $79. The brad nailer is $99. I know for me I do want the drill and the impact driver, and I do want a reciprocating saw (with a specific project in mind already) and the circular saw (another project in mind for that as well). I guess the Impact Driver is listed at $59 (but you can't actually buy it directly) and the kits come with two different circular saw, one of them is a 5 1/2" that's worth $59 (but again you can't really buy it directly) and the other is a 6 1/2", that well I guess you can buy that and it's $69. And, ok, the drill + charger + battery is $79. So maybe I can start to do some math here...

So excited to continuously over think every single decision involved here!

I'd highly recommend getting a different tool and spending the extra scratch on the brushless recip saw.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Verman posted:

This is all good to hear. We're getting ready to move into our new house in a few weeks and the garage is going to need some organizational love.

A little late but as a fellow small garage haver I have a bunch of tips. You're on the right track overall based on my experience. Of the 8 major pieces of furniture I have, 5 of them are on wheels. I can almost completely reconfigure the space if needed for a specific project.

- Get very heavy duty casters if you're building any of your own furniture. You'll load them up more than you think. If a specific piece needs to be movable but very rigid while in use consider lifting casters.

- Tear out those terrible shelves all around and either build in heavy duty shelving or go with your metal rack idea. With the price of framing lumber and sheet goods its might be the same cost.

- Tub storage. Get a bunch of matching plastic tubs to stick poo poo in, then they can go under benches, in shelves, or whatever.

- If you have any light but bulky things, consider ceiling storage if the structure works for it. Bikes, light ladders, that kind of thing. Rig up a pulley system to get them up and down.

- You're absolutely right to get a toolchest. Best choice I made for my work space in a long time. Motronics right though, you'll never or rarely move that thing once its loaded up. Consider getting a non-movable one and stick it under your workbench since that's where you'll want the tools 90% of the time anyway.

- If you think you'll need a mobile work table build a dedicated one. You can make a very solid table that can be stowed fairly out of the way if needed. If you don't need it stored compactly build one with additional integrated storage but don't overload it.

oXDemosthenesXo fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 11, 2021

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Tear out those terrible shelves all around and either build in heavy duty shelving or go with your metal rack idea. With the price of framing lumber and sheet goods its might be the same cost.
Agreed. This is the first thing on my list. The metal Costco shelving probably costs the same as lumber at this point. Part of me really wants to gut everything in there now and just start from scratch but that might be a little while down the road.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Tub storage. Get a bunch of matching plastic tubs to stick poo poo in, then they can go under benches, in shelves, or whatever.
Already done. Got a dozen of the black and yellow totes (27gallon and whatever the half size is) from Costco to help me pack up the garage for the move. We've accumulated a lot of random mismatched totes over the years and I wanted uniform storage that stacks and doesn't malform when loaded. I like things organized and uniform.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

If you have any light but bulky things, consider ceiling storage if the structure works for it.
I've thought about a hanging storage but I'll have to get into the house to see what's possible. It's got vaulted ceilings with post and beam construction.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

You're absolutely right to get a toolchest.
I currently have a 5' tool chest/cabinet combo where most of my hand tools live. I mostly want a rolling cabinet or two (preferably with doors vs drawers) to give me a mobile work surface to set things on and a place to store bulky tools and dirt bike parts that don't fit in a chest.

I think the other thing on my list is lighting. I don't like dark workspaces. I'll probably grab some led shop lights as well.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Verman posted:

I think the other thing on my list is lighting. I don't like dark workspaces. I'll probably grab some led shop lights as well.

Absolutely, good light is critical.

Are you thinking wired in or through outlets? LEDs are so cheap, and so low power you can wire several through one former incandescent fixture if needed.

Might be worth drywalling and possibly even painting to help with the lighting. Those dark wood walls suck up alot of light.

Speaking of electrical do you have enough outlets and breaker capacity? It'll never be easier to do wiring changes than while it's empty.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'm all-in on the DeWalt ecosystem and feel like a treacherous bastard when I bought a 4-gal Ryobi 18+ backpack sprayer over the weekend. This thing is incredible for quickly dropping insecticides and herbicides. Way easier than my 1-gal hand pump sprayer.

And now, Home Depot has the 18+ high-volume power inflator on sale. I've been looking to replace my lovely, slow, and loud plug-in Coleman inflator for my pool floaties.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'm all-in on the DeWalt ecosystem and feel like a treacherous bastard when I bought a 4-gal Ryobi 18+ backpack sprayer over the weekend. This thing is incredible for quickly dropping insecticides and herbicides. Way easier than my 1-gal hand pump sprayer.

Same. I'm on team red but I cannot deny the astounding value that Ryobi backpack sprayer is.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

And now, Home Depot has the 18+ high-volume power inflator on sale. I've been looking to replace my lovely, slow, and loud plug-in Coleman inflator for my pool floaties.

100% no bullshit this is my most used Ryobi tool. I live across the street from our neighborhood pool, and that just lives in our pool bag all summer. My kids have a small flotilla of pool toys, so I get a ton of use out of that thing.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

SpartanIvy posted:

Same. I'm on team red but I cannot deny the astounding value that Ryobi backpack sprayer is.

Do you get semi-inconsistent pressure coming out of the nozzle if you keep the trigger held down? It seems to bounce back and forth between high and medium pressure if I keep it held down for an extended period. Not sure if this is just a thing, or if something is wrong with it. It's not a huge deal since I usually use blue dye when I'm spraying herbicides and I can keep track of where I hit on the lawn.

skipdogg posted:

100% no bullshit this is my most used Ryobi tool. I live across the street from our neighborhood pool, and that just lives in our pool bag all summer. My kids have a small flotilla of pool toys, so I get a ton of use out of that thing.

Guess I spent too much time posting it, cause now it's out of stock everywhere :(

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 11, 2021

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Do you get semi-inconsistent pressure coming out of the nozzle if you keep the trigger held down? It seems to bounce back and forth between high and medium pressure if I keep it held down for an extended period. Not sure if this is just a thing, or if something is wrong with it. It's not a huge deal since I usually use blue dye when I'm spraying herbicides and I can keep track of where I hit on the lawn.

I have not experienced that but I haven't used it in a long-use situation like spraying the whole lawn yet. I've used mine for perimeter coverage and spraying down wood joists. I imagine even if that's an issue with all of them, it's still probably more consistent than the hand pump sprayers, right?

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Guess I spent too much time posting it, cause now it's out of stock everywhere :(

HD is still showing it for me, but that might be a location thing. The $40 combination inflator is also really good if you want to do air mattresses/etc and top off tires with the same tool.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

SpartanIvy posted:

I have not experienced that but I haven't used it in a long-use situation like spraying the whole lawn yet. I've used mine for perimeter coverage and spraying down wood joists. I imagine even if that's an issue with all of them, it's still probably more consistent than the hand pump sprayers, right?

Absolutely. Was just curious if my expectations were too high.

heffray posted:

HD is still showing it for me, but that might be a location thing. The $40 combination inflator is also really good if you want to do air mattresses/etc and top off tires with the same tool.

Just F5'ed and it showed up available for shipping :hellyeah:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I doubt it's less expensive after shipping, but in general you can keep an eye out on their online outlet and sometimes snag a good deal on a bare tool. I also have a generic slickdeals alert setup for Ryobi, just in case.

https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/P...flator/p/ZRP738

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Any thoughts on the Ryobi P2300A 18+ edger? I just use my DeWalt string trimmer currently, but I end up whacking way too much and throwing poo poo everywhere. Getting an actual edger seems like it would be much easier and less effort. $80 isn't a terribly huge deal.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-9-in-18V-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Battery-Edger-Tool-Only-P2300A/206481859

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Any thoughts on the Ryobi P2300A 18+ edger? I just use my DeWalt string trimmer currently, but I end up whacking way too much and throwing poo poo everywhere. Getting an actual edger seems like it would be much easier and less effort. $80 isn't a terribly huge deal.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-9-in-18V-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Battery-Edger-Tool-Only-P2300A/206481859

I can't say for certain how the 18V one will work, but....
I have the 40V string trimmer that has the detachable head with this edger. https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-Expand-It-8-in-Universal-Straight-Shaft-Edger-Attachment-RYEDG12/207209914
I can whack weeds forever and a day on one 40V battery. When I switch to the edger it becomes a massive battery hog. Like 40 feet worth of edging out of a battery. I'm not sure if it's because I generally do the edging after trimming, so maybe the motor heats up or something but it gets super hungry. I don't know if that would be the same, but if it is, make sure you have a shitload of batteries just in case.

I can say it is so much better for edging than putting a string trimmer on a 90 degree angle.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 13, 2021