Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Close!

Florida!

Let's give it back to the Spaniards.

I'd rather give it back to Atlantis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Give Florida back to the British. Only the bad parts.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

If you think that's funny have I got a link for you!

https://www.moralmachine.net/

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if u see mit media lab then you know youre in for some lols

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Florida is land cursed by the sea rat

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

There's a lady asking if it's possible to kill cicadas before they emerge bc her friend has a phobia of large insects. I don't know how this woman thinks she can make even a tiny dent against the event that is Brood X

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

number 1 snake fan posted:

There's a lady asking if it's possible to kill cicadas before they emerge bc her friend has a phobia of large insects. I don't know how this woman thinks she can make even a tiny dent against the event that is Brood X

Recommend a satanic ritual?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Hold a gender reveal party.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I joined last night hoping to see a bunch of Karens and whatever the male equivalent of Karens are bitching about poo poo, but there was pretty much none of that.
I'm kinda pissed because I was hoping to do some trolling, but I guess my hood is boring.

Oh well.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

I joined last night hoping to see a bunch of Karens and whatever the male equivalent of Karens are bitching about poo poo, but there was pretty much none of that.
I'm kinda pissed because I was hoping to do some trolling, but I guess my hood is boring.

Oh well.

Now you are legally obligated to become your neighborhood's Karen, godspeed

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

whatever the male equivalent of Karens are

Darrens? I think that was discussed upthread a while ago, but that sounds as reasonable as anything else

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Reading this thread makes me wish all the lizard brains would just pack up and move to Russia which is the closest thing to a lizard brain utopia.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Hasturtium posted:

Darrens? I think that was discussed upthread a while ago, but that sounds as reasonable as anything else

Josh.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Sjs00 posted:

randoms who get hit because of stupid reasons or looking at their phone just deserve it basically myself included
which has never happened but maybe in the future people will start chasing me in their cars trying to kill me won't that be fun

ban cars. pedestrians never deserve to be the victims of traffic violence. hope that helps

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Grem posted:

not quite "lol, run them over rather than wait who cares they deserve it" but sure looks fun

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

steinrokkan posted:

Now you are legally obligated to become your neighborhood's Karen, godspeed

What do you think my first complaint should be?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Grem posted:

Destroy car or kill olds if you can't. Also install brakes on this vehicle please.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lamebot posted:

Destroy car or kill olds if you can't. Also install brakes on this vehicle please.

The whole thing ended up feeling like it was way longer than it needed to be, and was just hamfistedly trying to determine if the respondent hated fat people or old people or jaywalkers.

I figured that any autonomous vehicle should be trying to minimize collateral damage, so the people in the car were dying every time that was an option, and the fewest number of people being killed when there was no choice but to hit pedestrians. Whether the pedestrians were jaywalking or not had absolutely no bearing on this. The results page seemed to be making a bunch of inferences about my motivation that were simply untrue due to the simple rubric I was applying.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
The only acceptable answer to this dilemma:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The self-driving car should not be driving fast enough on a surface street such that it cannot stop before creaming pedestrians - animal or otherwise - at the next legal crossing. Also it should be built to a high enough safety standard that a head on crash into a barrier at surface street speeds doesn't kill its front passengers.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sydin posted:

The self-driving car should not be driving fast enough on a surface street such that it cannot stop before creaming pedestrians - animal or otherwise - at the next legal crossing. Also it should be built to a high enough safety standard that a head on crash into a barrier at surface street speeds doesn't kill its front passengers.

I just assumed it was a Tesla. :shrug:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Beefed Owl posted:

The only acceptable answer to this dilemma:

absolutely

and yeah I always told it to take the car into the barricade, you got into the autonomous car you should know the risks

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Programming these morality decisions could have interesting effects on how insurance treats collisions too. One thing I’ve heard since I got my license(but never actually looked into) is that if you’re in a position where you’re either 100% going to crash into a deer in the road, or you’re gonna swerve out of control and hit a tree, it’s best to just smash the deer otherwise insurance might not cover it.

Would the insurance companies have a preferred outcome? Could they influence what actually gets implemented?

Either way I highly doubt we’ll ever have L5 self driving, but interesting to think about.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Tetramin posted:

Programming these morality decisions could have interesting effects on how insurance treats collisions too. One thing I’ve heard since I got my license(but never actually looked into) is that if you’re in a position where you’re either 100% going to crash into a deer in the road, or you’re gonna swerve out of control and hit a tree, it’s best to just smash the deer otherwise insurance might not cover it.

Would the insurance companies have a preferred outcome? Could they influence what actually gets implemented?

Either way I highly doubt we’ll ever have L5 self driving, but interesting to think about.

Didn't Mercedes mention they would prioritize the safety of its passengers over anything else? I'd assume that's the default choice for an automaker who can make the quiet suggestion to the buyer that "Yeah but our cars are going to prioritize your safety, that other automakers self driving system is going to ram your family into a tree to save a cat/etc". Really lovely situation but I understand.

Anyways, I deleted and blocked nextdoor this afternoon. Final straw was over a electric scooter at Lowes.

Typical suburban boomer bullshit, this time in Leander/Cedar Park TX Area where someone who was "probably homeless", pissed off the poster because they wouldn't give up use of a electric shopping cart to them. Complete with a list of pictures of some dude just hanging out in front of Lowes. Said responses was "Call the police"

You know...a guy not giving up a electric cart.

I sided with the "homeless" guy, because this is a Lowes issue, not a city/public safety issue. If the carts are out, get your rear end to Lowes earlier gramps, its first come first serve. If the dude, mentally ill/homeless or not, was there first and is sitting in the cart, that's his business.

Lots of assumptions being made here and either two three things are going to happen: 1. walk away. 2. Call the police and have then ignore the call "911: You are calling over a what?" 3. Call the police and have them actually show up over some dude who doesn't want to give up the Lowes electric scooter, which can result in everything from the dude leaving to the dude getting shot.

I pointed out that police responses to special needs folks doesn't always end well.

Anyways it turned into a big thread, and I just peaced out, and deleted by account/blocked anything from nextdoor.com*.

At least some of the thread agreed with me and called out the poster and their supporters for being absolutely ridiculous.

*-blocked from multiple emails because nextdoor discovered by backup email so now that's 2 addresses I have to block them from.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I would imagine that passenger safety would be the #1 selling point for any automated car. The entire reason they don't exist now is because they aren't safe enough. I wouldn't look at a single other feature that an automated car would have if I thought it might murder me by lovely AI.

I currently have no plans of ever buying an automated car. Unless 100% of other cars on the road were also automated.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

I would imagine that passenger safety would be the #1 selling point for any automated car. The entire reason they don't exist now is because they aren't safe enough. I wouldn't look at a single other feature that an automated car would have if I thought it might murder me by lovely AI.

I currently have no plans of ever buying an automated car. Unless 100% of other cars on the road were also automated.

The weird thing is that regular cars kill passengers and pedestrians all the loving time. But there’s definitely a hang up with autonomous vehicles where even if they were shown to be 10 times less likely to get in an accident, anytime a fatal crash happened, people would get spooked. Like even believing that idea, I still don’t know if I would want one.

Edit: and I’m talking about real autonomous driving, not what I assume is a tensor flow script trained on Elon musk playing gran turismo or whatever Tesla does

JackBandit fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 10, 2021

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

JackBandit posted:

The weird thing is that regular cars kill passengers and pedestrians all the loving time. But there’s definitely a hang up with autonomous vehicles where even if they were shown to be 10 times less likely to get in an accident, anytime a fatal crash happened, people would get spooked. Like even believing that idea, I still don’t know if I would want one.

Edit: and I’m talking about real autonomous driving, not what I assume is a tensor flow script trained on Elon musk playing gran turismo or whatever Tesla does

It's simple, driving the car yourself gives the driver a sense of control.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

JackBandit posted:

Yaldabaoth posted:

It's simple, driving the car yourself gives the driver a sense of control.

Yes. Not in the best way of course.

Oh here we go. I've been driving for 22 years and have avoided countless accidents by being a completely high strung and anxiety riddled person who plans out scenarios in my head for all of the 5 cars driving around me at any given moment. I seriously can take one or two trips on the interstate for an hour at most before I just can't take the exhaustion anymore. It's non-stop vigilance and I absolutely hate it.

I don't feel confident in AI prediction of human behaviors yet. An automated car can't see a 17 year old girl on her phone and looking into her rearview mirror and predict what she might or more importantly what she might not do yet.

Humans are terrible creatures and if we allowed AI to run our roads they would just slaughter us all violently to save us.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
So Elon Musk is the hero we deserve?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

I don't feel confident in AI prediction of human behaviors yet. An automated car can't see a 17 year old girl on her phone and looking into her rearview mirror and predict what she might or more importantly what she might not do yet.

In theory all the cars would eventually be able to talk to each other and everyone car would know exactly what every other one is going to do. The cool thing being that if one of them had a sudden tire blowout or something, it would be able to instantly communicate this to all the other cars, so they could make appropriate maneuvers to get out of the way.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
neck store

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Dr_Amazing posted:

In theory all the cars would eventually be able to talk to each other and everyone car would know exactly what every other one is going to do. The cool thing being that if one of them had a sudden tire blowout or something, it would be able to instantly communicate this to all the other cars, so they could make appropriate maneuvers to get out of the way.

And in reality they'll all be walled gardens because no company wants to work with any other company and possibly lose profits. I can't want for iLive, apples sub service that prioritizes the driver over all else.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Dr_Amazing posted:

Exactly. You'd need ALL cars to be automated.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

poor guy just can’t catch a break

Head Bee Guy fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 10, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Exactly. You'd need ALL cars to be automated.

Yeah, and that would require some level of centralized control.

I do think that is probably inevitable, but a lot farther off than I would have guessed 10 years ago.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's definitely a point where you're just trying to re-invent the bus, like how Silicon Valley seems to do every few months.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I require my own compartment that other people never touch.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Looking For Someone to Clean Attic

My wife recently passed away (RIP!!!) and I am now looking for someone to clean out the attic of her stuff. I do NOT need reminders of my dead wife around, I have enough with her credit card bills (LOL!).

Attic is 3rd story, unventilated so it gets pretty warm. Last time I ventured up there I did see a family of snakes, but they may have died off by now.

I think a teenage girl would be best for this job as my wife had a lot of girly things up there like her wedding dress, pictures of our kids, etc. A girl would probably know what this is worth and could then sell it on ebay for me.

Looking to pay $5 an hour for this. A good job if you are willing to work (INSTEAD OF JUST LAYING AROUND ALL DAY GETTING PAID BY THE GOVERNMENT!).

I have been hearing footsteps up there.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

A Fancy Hat posted:

Looking For Someone to Clean Attic

My wife recently passed away (RIP!!!) and I am now looking for someone to clean out the attic of her stuff. I do NOT need reminders of my dead wife around, I have enough with her credit card bills (LOL!).

Attic is 3rd story, unventilated so it gets pretty warm. Last time I ventured up there I did see a family of snakes, but they may have died off by now.

I think a teenage girl would be best for this job as my wife had a lot of girly things up there like her wedding dress, pictures of our kids, etc. A girl would probably know what this is worth and could then sell it on ebay for me.

Looking to pay $5 an hour for this. A good job if you are willing to work (INSTEAD OF JUST LAYING AROUND ALL DAY GETTING PAID BY THE GOVERNMENT!).

I have been hearing footsteps up there.

I'll take care of all that stuff for 60$

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Sjs00 posted:

I'll take care of all that stuff for 60$

Going to need to see some references - lots of "bad folks" in the neighborhood lately casing houses at night, etc. My neighbor woke up and found all of his political signs had been STOLEN and somebody left a big BLM, Inc sign in they're place! Crazy what the world is coming to.

Also I will need you to be blindfolded while in the house (not the attic) so you can't case the house and report back out to gangs. Just a precaution I saw on Tucker that works!