Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone have a favorite perforated leather pant recommendation?

Can you zip different brands of jacket and pants? Or is kind of a crap shoot depending on what zipper they decided to use? Like revit jacket to dianese pants for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
As far as I can tell there are long and short zippers and those are pretty universal. But some manufacturers mount them backwards. I have heard from one manufacturer that they just randomly decide which way they do it per model (which is loving dumb), but every other item I've had so far was compatible.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Shoei 1400 vs some other full face helmet + aftermarket neck wind guard?

I made the mistake of buying a 3/4 face helmet. It's really loud in the wind. Do I want to drop 500 dollars on a helmet?

I probably will keep the helmet I have as a spare.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I love my 1400. Don't wear a 3/4 helmet. Your helmet is the most important piece of gear to protect your most important organ. $500 is worth it.

Don't wear a 3/4 helmet

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Don't wear a 3/4 helmet, and this is why:

As someone who is annoyed at Shoei for releasing the RF-1400 without tinted visor options, I have to say I was really glad to be wearing a RF-1400 when I slid head first into a soundwall a few weeks ago and barely even felt it in my head. For most gear you can just ask yourself, "would I pay this much money after an accident if I could go back in time and avoid these injuries?" I'd pay $300 for kevlar pants to avoid my recent road rash, $500 to keep your head safe seems like an even better deal. Of course there are cheaper helmets that probably offer the same protection, but if an RF-1400 feels good on your head I think it's worth $100/year (5 year lifespan).

There used to be some brutal CT scans / MRIs / whatever floating around of someone who crashed a Vespa or similar while wearing a 3/4 helmet and took most of the damage to their jaw, it looked extremely unpleasant.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Someone I know is alive because he had his jaw ruined instead of dying. His main impact point was the chin-area, if he had not worn a full face helmet, he would be dead dead. Perfectly "standard" crash with a car pulling a left turn in front of him.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Maybe one of you guys can help me: I love my Schuberth C3 Pro, it's an amazing fit and I am very happy with it. Ever since I've bought it, I played with the idea of putting an intercom in it (really just for music and other infotainment). I tried a few things, like a cheap headset from china, and my latest attempt was the Twiins comm system. It does everything I need and more, but one issue has come up time after time. The speakers exert too much pressure on my ears, getting uncomfortable real fast. This is even though the C3 has cutouts in the foam, I think my ears are actually using that for comfort. I actually got it to "Oh poo poo it doesn't hurt anymore" by sliding the twiins very far forward (basically only half of it still inside the cutout), but after doing a few longer rides with this setup, I still notice it digging into my flesh.

I guess what I'm asking is this:
Are there any ultra low profile helmet speakers? I really don't want or need an external control box or anything like that.

At this point, I might just strip the Twiins and maybe 3D print a super slim case or something.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

If its the Pro model of C3, shouldnt it have the speakers and cutouts for the comms unit and batter in the helmet already for the Schuberth comms unit?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Patrocclesiastes posted:

If its the Pro model of C3, shouldnt it have the speakers and cutouts for the comms unit and batter in the helmet already for the Schuberth comms unit?

There are Sena and a Cardo comms units rebranded by Schuberth available, but they cost a shitton.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Helmet chat:

I have a very round head. The HJC IS-17 fits well in a XXL. I put a Sena 20S in it but there are no cutouts for the speakers, so they rest further back in the helmet so as not to hurt my ears and impinge the stem of my glasses, but because there are no cutouts, the speakers occasionally move about a bit which is annoying.

I bought a Bell SRT helmet recently, it has cutouts, next to my ears, and the speakers Velcro in there fine and snug and don’t hurt my ears nor impinge the stems of my glasses.

A+ , would buy this helmet again.

Next helmet I’m getting is a Schuberth R2 which has built in speakers and mic, so I just have to slot in a control module and therefore there is no hour long faff required to get the comms unit installed.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Bungee cords aren’t doing it for me. Not right enough when doing large amounts of luggage, ie 50+ L.

I am thinking of getting ratchet straps, possibly the Kriega ones.

Anyone have any ratchet strap recommendations?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
https://rokstraps.com/pages/rok-moto

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

SEKCobra posted:

Are there any ultra low profile helmet speakers? I really don't want or need an external control box or anything like that.

I googled Twiins comms and goddamn those look chunky, there are definitely much slimmer 40mm speakers you can get. Start by searching "40mm helmet speakers" and just pick from whichever ones look thinnest.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Steakandchips posted:

Anyone have any ratchet strap recommendations?

literally just get a 4 pack from aldi, they are very long but there's no point overpaying for a shorter "motorcycle luggage" strap and besides you can always tie off the excess. I guess you could also cut the straps shorter if you never intend to move anything really big with them (such as the bike itself, if you ever need to trailer it)

e/ this kind of thing, it says out of stock now but they'll be back, that's how aldi rolls. If you pay much more than a tenner for 4 straps you're getting ripped off.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 10, 2021

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Lipsumeriffic.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

lol, didnt spot that.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Shubert comms are rebranded Sena and the whole thing is a garbage fire. I ripped out all of it from my C4, and replaced with new Sena parts of of the box for the following reasons

The "pack" battery and controller parts cost significantly more than complete standalone unit. Like 120 vs 190, and that's retail. If you already have a Sena kit, you can simply move it from helmet to helmet while buying additional parts individually. They are sold in Amazon and are not expensive. Shubert Pro parts are either retail only. You won't find one for sale used, because they often stay with the helmet.

Also, you can get upgraded Sena speaker set for every model line for under $50 a set. They are much better than older setup that is included with the helmet.

The control buttons on Shubert insert are loving terrible and incredibly uncomfortable to use. Look at where it's located now, imagine trying to navigate that spot with gloves on. It's as bad as it looks. Read some online reviews that never go past two stars. It's a universally hated design.

And use the boom mic that comes with your Sena kit instead of surface flat mic (that's in the helmet by default). It has much better pickup, sensitivity and is adjustable to submit your needs.

Please remember and spread this information. Don't let others waste money on the bad design

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Do the Sena kits have decent power output? I got a Bluetooth headphone adapter and it's OK pootling around slowly but doesn't have enough power to hear through earplugs on the autoroute.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I split the Twiins apart and printed a draft case for the speaker-only side that is about half as thick as the original (and much smaller). I will try running with it in this configuration and if only one side hurts I'll just figure something out to move PCB & battery out of the way and flatten the other side.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

SEKCobra posted:

Maybe one of you guys can help me: I love my Schuberth C3 Pro, it's an amazing fit and I am very happy with it. Ever since I've bought it, I played with the idea of putting an intercom in it (really just for music and other infotainment). I tried a few things, like a cheap headset from china, and my latest attempt was the Twiins comm system. It does everything I need and more, but one issue has come up time after time. The speakers exert too much pressure on my ears, getting uncomfortable real fast. This is even though the C3 has cutouts in the foam, I think my ears are actually using that for comfort. I actually got it to "Oh poo poo it doesn't hurt anymore" by sliding the twiins very far forward (basically only half of it still inside the cutout), but after doing a few longer rides with this setup, I still notice it digging into my flesh.

At this point, I might just strip the Twiins and maybe 3D print a super slim case or something.

when I am just wanting to listen to podcasts or w/e instead of comms if I am riding highways solo I will just run airpod pros since they noise cancel and last ~2hr

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Do motorcycle comm kits work with earplugs? I am going to test some earplugs before buying a new helmet to cut noise. I'm gonna buy a new helmet regardless because the 3/4 one sucks for safety but it's also like vibrating really weirdly at around 50mph, like my vision is shaking from wind turbulence.

I think there are reasons other than safety why 3/4 helmets are bad...or at least limited.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Do motorcycle comm kits work with earplugs? I am going to test some earplugs before buying a new helmet to cut noise. I'm gonna buy a new helmet regardless because the 3/4 one sucks for safety but it's also like vibrating really weirdly at around 50mph, like my vision is shaking from wind turbulence.

I think there are reasons other than safety why 3/4 helmets are bad...or at least limited.

yes. they just have to be able to get loud enough lol

I have a sena 5s? or something. forgot the model. works fine with the foam plugs I use for shooting / commuting (never at the same time :D)

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Do motorcycle comm kits work with earplugs?

Yes. I have a Cardo Packtalk Bold and it is very much audible through my foam earplugs. (In a full-face, granted, but it's an HJC which are supposedly fairly loud helmets)

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

I have an HJC RPHA 70 ST and a Cardo Freedom 4+ (bike is a 2019 CB300r with a Yoshi race slip on)

I wear either foam earplugs from target https://www.target.com/p/ultra-soft-foam-ear-plugs-50-pair-up-up-153/-/A-53004635

or I also recently picked up a pair of Eargasm high fidelity transparent plugs because I felt like I was going through the foam ones fast and it felt wasteful https://eargasm.com/products/copy-of-eargasm-high-fidelity-earplugs?variant=1319460667416

Both plugs work great with the Freedom. Can hear music, phone calls, etc, just fine with the plugs in. No complaints. I don't ride on the highway much so I can't tell you about that, but otherwise I've had no issues.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I have a sena 30k in my AGV sportsmodular that I just got the new HD speakers/50s speakers for, much better than the stock 20s/20s evo/30k speakers. It's worth upgrading.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I got a pair of those Eargasm plugs for a bachelor party at a three day rave and they're definitely worth it (and I have a huge box of the orange ones for shooting so that's not the issue). Much better sound quality while being comfortable enough to wear for 8+ hrs a day multiple days in a row.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I bought these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NS283CE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Kinda wish I would have got the eargasm ones though as it looks like the bigger cone would have been better for my ears.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 10, 2021

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

couldn't be any easier

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I bought a 3 pack of silicone plugs off of Amazon for 10 bux, they work pretty well and are washable.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I got these, Loop. They look cool.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Looking cool is absolutely important when wearing an item inside your helmet

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

knox_harrington posted:

Do the Sena kits have decent power output? I got a Bluetooth headphone adapter and it's OK pootling around slowly but doesn't have enough power to hear through earplugs on the autoroute.

Sena (and other dedicated motorbike speaker sets) increase volume with speed (or rather noise picked up on the mic). Related:

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Yep, my Sena is absolutely fine with them. In fact I suspect the speakers may even have been designed to work with them, as without the sound is a little tinny and scratchy, but with earplugs in it sounds absolutely fine.

Just don't forget, if you've set the volume to work with earplugs, to put them in (or turn the volume down) so you don't almost drop your bike coming out of the petrol station when you suddenly get an entire Motorhead concert-worth of volume smashed directly into your ears. Ahem.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Every time I order expensive custom earplugs I wish I could just make cheap foamies work :(

Ultimately I made a pair of EarPeace buds work well enough.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Just don't forget, if you've set the volume to work with earplugs, to put them in (or turn the volume down) so you don't almost drop your bike coming out of the petrol station when you suddenly get an entire Motorhead concert-worth of volume smashed directly into your ears. Ahem.

100% had more hearing damage from no earplugs on a bike from my sena than from the bike.

It’s always when you knock the plug putting the helmet on. Always.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

So my partner is pretty nervous about me starting motorcycling so I was looking around for a crash detection thing to help ease her anxiety. I found a few phone apps most of which were addled with ads or wanted $$ for questionable performance. I went looking outside the moto products. I knew my garmin edge 520 has a crash detection feature but it has been not super reliable before (maybe they finally fixed it). But I remembered that specialized has a crash detection device called ANGI (it's icedot if you remember that from back when).

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/angi-crash-sensor/p/170203?color=259980-170203&searchText=60519-8000&size=One+Size

So I stuck one on my HJC. It uses an accelerometer to detect a crash, the app is free and there is no subscription or anything. You don't even have to record a ride, you just open the app before you go and wake up the sensor.

If it detects a crash you have a set amount of time (15 to 120 seconds) which you can set, to disable it, before it sends a text/email to your emergency contact with your location.

Made my partner feel a lot better so if that sounds like something yall can use, go to your local specialized bicycle dealer.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 12, 2021

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That's a good price considering there are no monthly fees. I had looked into a SPOT device when I used to do more off trail hiking and I think the yearly fees are around twice the cost of the ANGI, but I'm assuming the ANGI relies on your phone having service rather than using satellites like the SPOT.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Yeah you gotta have at least enough service for a text to get through I'd assume.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I bought a BikerSOS GPS tracker because they are local (as in they are headquartered in my city) and I get a decent EMS discount on the service fees. Right now only their smartphone app does crash detection (and just recently stopped doing that in the free version, without notice), but they told me that the tracker will get crash detection this riding season. I checked the hardware beforehand and it's a generic model you could reflash if push comes to shove.
Shorty after a new product came to market that uses your phone for the actual "getting help" part but does crash detection as well:
https://cosmoconnected.com/en

Probably would have gotten that if it had existed beforehand. But yeah, that ANGi looks decent, only thing I don't like is the battery, but it's a lot less obtrusive than that brake light thing.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

MomJeans420 posted:

That's a good price considering there are no monthly fees. I had looked into a SPOT device when I used to do more off trail hiking and I think the yearly fees are around twice the cost of the ANGI, but I'm assuming the ANGI relies on your phone having service rather than using satellites like the SPOT.

SPOT has pretty bad coverage, can't send more than one message per 20 min, and will just silently drop your messages without notice.

InReach is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Russian Bear posted:

So my partner is pretty nervous about me starting motorcycling so I was looking around for a crash detection thing to help ease her anxiety. I found a few phone apps most of which were addled with ads or wanted $$ for questionable performance. I went looking outside the moto products. I knew my garmin edge 520 has a crash detection feature but it has been not super reliable before (maybe they finally fixed it). But I remembered that specialized has a crash detection device called ANGI (it's icedot if you remember that from back when).

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/angi-crash-sensor/p/170203?color=259980-170203&searchText=60519-8000&size=One+Size

So I stuck one on my HJC. It uses an accelerometer to detect a crash, the app is free and there is no subscription or anything. You don't even have to record a ride, you just open the app before you go and wake up the sensor.

If it detects a crash you have a set amount of time (15 to 120 seconds) which you can set, to disable it, before it sends a text/email to your emergency contact with your location.

Made my partner feel a lot better so if that sounds like something yall can use, go to your local specialized bicycle dealer.

Apple Watch also has a “did you fall?” feature.