Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

I like reading it early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I like reading early too, but I'm not putting too much stock in the dialogue until I can compare it to the official release.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Blockhouse posted:

After doing some research the original manga refers to all of the escaped convicts collectively as "jail breakers" in english while the translation just opts for escaped convict. It's not specifically Muscular, but you'd never know that because the speed scans continually use it as a proper noun like it's referring to a person's title

Maybe people get weird about speed scans because it's frustrating for the conversation point for discussing a week's chapter to start with a hack job shat out in an hour by some college kid failing his Japanese courses.

The official translation also uses it as a proper noun, repeatedly. This isn't speedscan specific at all.

e: Oh you mean the last chapter specifically. Confusing "jail breakers" with "Jailbreaker" when the latter is established to refer to a specific character seems perfectly understandable to me. Especially since if the word was in English I'm guessing there wasn't anything to indicate it was plural.

Staltran fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 10, 2021

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Genuine question to people who don't like speedscan chat: Why don't you just not read the thread for two days?

Like from my perspective if you are so invested in MHA that it bothers you to pause reading the thread for 48 hours, then you might as well be reading both so that you can always be up to date on what's going on. It's not like people are posting untranslated panels out of context, speedscans are fine as long as you remember to take their translations with a grain of salt.

It bugs me a little because I always have to wait days to weeks to catch up on vigilantes because viz doesn't want my country to read it and I either scroll past vigilante chat or stop reading until the new main chapter drops. I don't get why people are bothered this much with something that's comparably much easier to deal with.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Speedscan avoiders also can't discuss Vigilantes, since it comes out on Thursday/Friday right when speedscan discussions are in full swing and it's all the same black bars so screw trying to pick through that.

Also, the only thing I want to read less than discourse based on bad translations is discourse about how bad those translations are. There is no reason to even acknowledge the existence of those scans after Sunday morning.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

GimmickMan posted:

Genuine question to people who don't like speedscan chat: Why don't you just not read the thread for two days?

Like from my perspective if you are so invested in MHA that it bothers you to pause reading the thread for 48 hours, then you might as well be reading both so that you can always be up to date on what's going on. It's not like people are posting untranslated panels out of context, speedscans are fine as long as you remember to take their translations with a grain of salt.

It bugs me a little because I always have to wait days to weeks to catch up on vigilantes because viz doesn't want my country to read it and I either scroll past vigilante chat or stop reading until the new main chapter drops. I don't get why people are bothered this much with something that's comparably much easier to deal with.

Or you know... Keep it in your pants for 2 more days.
Why rush to read a vaseline covered scan with a shoddy translation that makes things harder to understand and has caused the moronic twitter mob to harrass mangaka on twitter? Every friday a chapter is trending worldwide I roll my eyes because it speaks volumes on how for the lack of a better word, entitled some people are. You're reading illegally obtained material. Why do I have to avoid a thread for 2 days because people can't stop committing (minor) crimes?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
That's why speedscan chat is posted as spoilers, no? Just don't click on the spoilers?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

oh jay posted:

Speedscan avoiders also can't discuss Vigilantes, since it comes out on Thursday/Friday right when speedscan discussions are in full swing and it's all the same black bars so screw trying to pick through that.

Also, the only thing I want to read less than discourse based on bad translations is discourse about how bad those translations are. There is no reason to even acknowledge the existence of those scans after Sunday morning.

Big agree.
I always forget about the stupid speed scans, and when a vigilantes drops I click on the thread to find a bunch of black bars.
Screw that.
Then two days later, every. Goddam. Week: “Oh wow, the speed scan translation was so terrible, it completely changed the context of the conversation / I thought X was Y because the images were so poorly leveled.”

Every week.

Every. Week.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

I appreciate the speedscans, 'cause I'm not a MHA superfan, and I'm not really concerned at all about the purity of the translation. I get why people care, but it doesn't bother me.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Maybe the rule should be that speedscan chat is banned, but speedscan avoiders should have to read the speedscans and can't read the official release. That way everyone gets to be policed to suit other people's fancy.

Or just let people do what they want.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They're very clearly making the discussions in here worse and more confusing, get rid of 'em.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The issue has been brought up enough times that we might as well try it out and see what happens.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

What do you bet Momo's final battle in the story will be against sniper lady?

0 dollars because it means someone besides deku, todoroki, or bakugo gets a 1v1 fight from class 1A

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

mabels big day posted:

0 dollars because it means someone besides deku, todoroki, or bakugo gets a 1v1 fight from class 1A

What about Toga and Uraraka?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Toga is gonna stab Urakaka pretending to be Midoriya and then the real Midoriya is gonna bust in because his danger sense pointed him to someone being stabbed and then Toga and Midoriya fight.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Big agree.
I always forget about the stupid speed scans, and when a vigilantes drops I click on the thread to find a bunch of black bars.
Screw that.
Then two days later, every. Goddam. Week: “Oh wow, the speed scan translation was so terrible, it completely changed the context of the conversation / I thought X was Y because the images were so poorly leveled.”

Every week.

Every. Week.

https://i.imgur.com/Lp4QtZK.mp4

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The speedscans gave us this, so it's not all bad

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Manga Fukidashi chooses his words very carefully, and will not be subject to subpar translation.

BAM

KERSPLAT

BADUM

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

I only read speedscans and am just here for the fights.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I also only read speedscans and don't want to be bothered with regulation of consumption of childrens media by a vocal and persistent plurality of regular posters who complain about speedscans endlessly and constantly try to relitigate thread rules

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I've asked a couple of times about how the people in this thread feel would be the best way to handle spoilers, and besides spoiler tagging discussion before the official translation, the results have always been heavily mixed, with some people fine just ignoring the spoiler text, and others annoyed at how it ruins the discourse around the chapter due to faulty misconceptions based on shoddy translations. It seems like vigilantes discussion getting mixed in with the regular series is also leading to some issues as well.

Normally I would recommend making a spinoff thread for vigilantes to solve one of these issues, but given how close it seems to be towards the ending, maybe it's not worth splitting off at this late date?

Which I guess takes me to the next point: is it worth creating a MHA leaks/fantranslation thread concurrent to this thread? That way Vigilantes and the official translation for MHA can be discussed in here, and people can have a free for all with the fantranslations in the other thread. They would be able to talk about the chapter without spoiler bars in that thread as soon as the fantranslation is linked, and before that, they can discuss early chapter text leaks with spoiler bars.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Nah. I do kinda wish the spoiler tag worked more like those in more modern forums where you had to clock to see them though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nonexistence posted:

I also only read speedscans and don't want to be bothered with regulation of consumption of childrens media by a vocal and persistent plurality of regular posters who complain about speedscans endlessly and constantly try to relitigate thread rules

I mean it is only an issue if you want to discuss the children's media you are consuming. Otherwise they have no power to stop you.

If you do want to discuss it then it doesn't seem unreasonable to ask that you read the version that isn't rush translated so you're not effectively arguing a point that doesn't exist.

I don't think it should be banned or whatever but being weirdly angry at being asked is weird because why would you care enough to spend time arguing on the internet but not long enough to read a chapter which probably takes less time than it took me to make this poat

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I prefer the current status quo. A third thread to juggle for people will probably result in more spoilers when the anime thread was already being regularly spoiled. That, or the spoiler thread just winds up becoming the main thread.

Kild fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 10, 2021

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
people become babies about seeing spoiler bars. people read speedscans because you get to read earlier. it's not rocket scientists people

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Let's be real the action in this series has always been difficult to parse at best even in the official scans.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

ImpAtom posted:

I mean it is only an issue if you want to discuss the children's media you are consuming. Otherwise they have no power to stop you.

If you do want to discuss it then it doesn't seem unreasonable to ask that you read the version that isn't rush translated so you're not effectively arguing a point that doesn't exist.

I don't think it should be banned or whatever but being weirdly angry at being asked is weird because why would you care enough to spend time arguing on the internet but not long enough to read a chapter which probably takes less time than it took me to make this poat

Idk I feel like the other side of the argument is being overly aggressive but maybe that’s just me

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The thread is mostly functional as is. The changes I would make as super important official rules are:

Stop black boxing Vigilante discussion. We only discuss official releases so we don't need them? Unless I don't understand how they are supposed to work.

A corollary to this is only use black boxes for actual unreleased spoilers, not for speculation or punchlines for bad jokes.

Never reference speedscans past Sunday morning. Posting "I can't believe All Might is AFO's father" is actually discussing the comic. Posting "the speedscan made it sound like AFO is actually All Might's father" is not actually discussing the comic.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It's usually a courtesy to spoiler bar things about an hour or two after a chapter is released, to give people some time to read it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
No one has yet refuted the point of “the conversation about the chapter is halfway to burnt out by the time the official page is out.” And the only counterargument so far is “but it’s my right to drown out discussion of the spin-off so that I can talk about this free media I pirate, if you don’t like it, don’t read the thread on the day the Vigilantes chapter comes out.”

It’s not even like there’s nothing to talk about on those days like the early leaks discussion that happen on Wednesday and Thursday, there’s actual thread content being run over because it’s apparently the end of the goddamn world if you have to stop tacitly encouraging people to support the stupidest kind of piracy.

It wasn’t as bad when we got the chapter trivia at the same time, because there was more to talk about besides “wow the lovely speedscans were lovely again,” but now all we have is the chapter itself, and the people who read the speedscans have already gone through the whole arc of the conversation, and those of us with even a grain of patience better hope there’s enough scraps left to have an engaging discussion.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 10, 2021

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

oh jay posted:

Never reference speedscans past Sunday morning. Posting "I can't believe All Might is AFO's father" is actually discussing the comic. Posting "the speedscan made it sound like AFO is actually All Might's father" is not actually discussing the comic.

there's people that only read the speedscan and someone saying that is helpful to them

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Kild posted:

there's people that only read the speedscan and someone saying that is helpful to them

sucks to be them

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

lunar detritus posted:

sucks to be them

Yeah, when the real thing is available for free, insisting on only using the illegal, lower quality product doesn't make me very sympathetic.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

christmas boots posted:

Idk I feel like the other side of the argument is being overly aggressive but maybe that’s just me

girl dick energy posted:

No one has yet refuted the point of “the conversation about the chapter is halfway to burnt out by the time the official page is out.” And the only counterargument so far is “but it’s my right to drown out discussion of the spin-off so that I can talk about this free media I pirate, if you don’t like it, don’t read the thread on the day the Vigilantes chapter comes out.”

It’s not even like there’s nothing to talk about on those days like the early leaks discussion that happen on Wednesday and Thursday, there’s actual thread content being run over because it’s apparently the end of the goddamn world if you have to stop tacitly encouraging people to support the stupidest kind of piracy.

It wasn’t as bad when we got the chapter trivia at the same time, because there was more to talk about besides “wow the lovely speedscans were lovely again,” but now all we have is the chapter itself, and the people who read the speedscans have already gone through the whole arc of the conversation, and those of us with even a grain of patience better hope there’s enough scraps left to have an engaging discussion.

Farg posted:

people become babies about seeing spoiler bars. people read speedscans because you get to read earlier. it's not rocket scientists people

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Julias posted:

I've asked a couple of times about how the people in this thread feel would be the best way to handle spoilers, and besides spoiler tagging discussion before the official translation, the results have always been heavily mixed, with some people fine just ignoring the spoiler text, and others annoyed at how it ruins the discourse around the chapter due to faulty misconceptions based on shoddy translations. It seems like vigilantes discussion getting mixed in with the regular series is also leading to some issues as well.

Normally I would recommend making a spinoff thread for vigilantes to solve one of these issues, but given how close it seems to be towards the ending, maybe it's not worth splitting off at this late date?

Which I guess takes me to the next point: is it worth creating a MHA leaks/fantranslation thread concurrent to this thread? That way Vigilantes and the official translation for MHA can be discussed in here, and people can have a free for all with the fantranslations in the other thread. They would be able to talk about the chapter without spoiler bars in that thread as soon as the fantranslation is linked, and before that, they can discuss early chapter text leaks with spoiler bars.

The MHA subreddit does something like this and it seems way healthier than the past few pages of this thread so that might be the way to do it.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Julias posted:

Just keep it in one thread.

It’s only an issue for a minority of posters here, each week we see a large of amount of people come into the thread to discuss the speedscan and then we get clarification when the official version comes out.

It’s been a working system for a long time that quite a few people seem to enjoy and dividing threads is just going to lower the amount of discussion overall or cause confusion. That seems like a poor outcome to me and we also really don’t need another thread for MHA when it already has two

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Do whatever needs to be done so that "entitled" never gets slung around to refer to people who have the temerity to read a drat speedscan of all things ever again

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Just make a new spoiler thread. I accept that it will result in driveby spoilers when someone inevitably gets the two threads mixed up. It's better than having to relitigate this every handful of months.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
*mha anime and manga threads cross pollinate constantly because the thread titles are lovely and people can't parse which is which* hm but what if we had 4 threads instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Ryaomon posted:

*mha anime and manga threads cross pollinate constantly because the thread titles are lovely and people can't parse which is which* hm but what if we had 4 threads instead

I seem to remember we still had issues when the anime thread was called something like "MHA :Anime thread, Season 3" and the manga thread was "My Hero Academia Manga thread : NOT THE ANIME THREAD" so I think it's more on people being morons than the thread titles.