Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
me, watching the english hyabusa youtube video: TURN OFF THE loving MUSIC I WANT TO HEAR THE ENGINE FOR gently caress SAKE TURN IT OFF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

I was looking up DRZs and this poison surfaced in my search.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Revvik posted:

This would be scary if it weren't so hilarious.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Revvik posted:

By destroying two poo poo bikes to make one poo poo bike they've actually improved the world slightly.

e: Oh wait for some reason I thought there was some SV in there too, there goes my finely-crafted bait. It does show just how poo poo the Vitpilen is that it looks like a weird top half just dropped randomly onto a completely unrelated bike though; I had no idea it looked quite so bad in the flesh.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 11, 2021

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Revvik posted:

What an insanely stupid waste of time. 0 redeeming qualities left on this bike?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I wish I had a really uncomfortable bike that also handled poorly

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Revvik posted:

That swingarm is going to twist under forces...unless it's somehow more torsionally rigid than a simple boxed swingarm. I doubt it.

E: wait a minute....is that the stock swingarm with an "extension"????

Gorson fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 11, 2021

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yes, it's an extension. The cheap and dumb way to do an extended swingarm, putting torsion forces in a place never designed for it. Why is it always the low displacement motorcycles that get the extendo treatment?! Just because they are what idiots can afford?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

By destroying two poo poo bikes to make one poo poo bike they've actually improved the world slightly.

e: Oh wait for some reason I thought there was some SV in there too, there goes my finely-crafted bait. It does show just how poo poo the Vitpilen is that it looks like a weird top half just dropped randomly onto a completely unrelated bike though; I had no idea it looked quite so bad in the flesh.

:wrong: the vitpilen, for it's faults, is a beautiful motorcycle. And the SV is a Good Biek.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I think (a stock) vitpilen is one of the most beautiful bikes, too bad it's a ktm pile.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm the drain tube they didn't trim so it's just dragging on the ground.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Coydog posted:

I'm the drain tube they didn't trim so it's just dragging on the ground.

It's probably the speedo sensor :stare:

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

That’s violence.

Me, I love wearing Live Fast Forever gloves on my KLR, the slowest vehicle I have ever owned and I’ll happily tell anyone who’ll listen.

(these feel safe for, idk, gardening maybe? Weed Fast Forever. Wait, poo poo, no that could go wrong)

Revvik fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 11, 2021

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Revvik posted:

(Weed Fast Forever. Wait, poo poo, no that could go wrong)

A weed fast is more commonly known as a tolerance break, and typically a couple of weeks to a month is plenty. Forever's excessive

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
But why!? it's a scarver, it will never be cool.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Those are hilariously branded as a 'funster' here.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It took me a while to realize that wasn't a triumph.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
That's a BMW F650 CS or something.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I know but my brain insisted it was a Triumph TIGER

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Same here. I had to force myself to see the bmw logo

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Wow what a waste of vinyl. And also everything else the BMW is made out of.
There’s one of those for sale near me and it is immaculate, which is probably really easy to do on a bike no one wants to ever ride.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I hated the look of the new monster in photos but this has changed my mind on everything. What a beautiful bike. Cohesive design throughout, and I really love the headlight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaWaYwLWcss

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I actually stumbled upon the US press launch apparently, and they do look better in person. The previous gen is better looking, but it's not so hideous in the flesh.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I saw one at the test ride event, and they look good. But i wouldn't call it a monster tbh, because it lacks the creamy smooth, linear and relaxed L-twin (replaced by the aggressive, high revving VR2 that feels and sounds very different unless they can do true magic with the mapping) and because the thing that i connect most to the Monster - the trellis frame - are both gone.
Doesn't mean it's not a bad bike or a step backwards, but i feel like it should just have a different name.

Edit: wait, there's probably a big difference in engine feel between the monster 797 that i rode, and the 821 that the 950 is supposed to replace. The 797 has 73hp versus 109 for the 821...
Are the 'low' power monsters gone?

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 15, 2021

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

LimaBiker posted:

No they still make them http://www.ssrmotorsports.com/store/street/razkull.php

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

LimaBiker posted:

I saw one at the test ride event, and they look good. But i wouldn't call it a monster tbh, because it lacks the creamy smooth, linear and relaxed L-twin (replaced by the aggressive, high revving VR2 that feels and sounds very different unless they can do true magic with the mapping) and because the thing that i connect most to the Monster - the trellis frame - are both gone.
Doesn't mean it's not a bad bike or a step backwards, but i feel like it should just have a different name.

Edit: wait, there's probably a big difference in engine feel between the monster 797 that i rode, and the 821 that the 950 is supposed to replace. The 797 has 73hp versus 109 for the 821...

They're called a scrambler now!

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Aaah alright! Makes sense :)

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I'd love to a classic air cooled Monster. Just for cruising around on. Coffee shop bike.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Mom can we get a ducati?
We have a ducati at home
ducati at home:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

quote:

Rated Output 8.3 hp @ 7,500 rpm

Good on them for actually quoting horsepower on the website. More manufacturers should stop being cowards and do that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Got the dadbike out for some dadding today

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

moto gang down at work today

I will own a wing, one day

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

dema posted:

I'd love to a classic air cooled Monster. Just for cruising around on. Coffee shop bike.

They're really not great bikes from a strict riding viewpoint, especially in their supposed natural environment of posing around town. The clutch is heavy as gently caress and gets more and more binary the hotter it gets, and it gets hot really loving quickly (those dumb perforated clutch covers on dry-clutch Ducatis aren't a cosmetic choice), they wear their weight in a weird way which with the odd tank shape makes slow-speed control a bit of a slog (especially with the really limited steering lock), and they're generally just a lot harder work than you'd think just by looking at them.

Obviously lots of people claim that the water-cooled Monsters (and for that matter the Scramblers, which ride like you *imagined* an OG 900 Monster would ride) are missing the point of the originals, and these people are of course idiots.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Most air cooled monsters have a wet clutch that works fine. The dry clutch is only on the 1000 and water cooled bikes afaik, even the 1100 evo has a wet clutch, as does the hyper 1100.

Their terrible steering lock and relatively cramped riding position is the biggest drawback. I have a mate that commutes daily on a m800, the usual failing starter relay and crap battery cables are the only issues he's had to contend with, they're really an excellent bike.

Imo the actual correct bike is the sport classic/gt1000. Air cooled motor, relaxed riding position, looks the tits, but has almost total parts compatibility with the monster and ST.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
My biggest complaint about the monster was the narrow lock to lock on the handlebars. In the week I had it I almost dumped it every time I was in a parking lot, locking the bars way before expected. Very pretty bike, though.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

But Not Tonight posted:

moto gang down at work today

I will own a wing, one day

I hate seeing things like this, why can't bikers use space efficiently and share parking spaces. Before I had a garage I would share a single parking space with two other bikes no problem. You can always fit at least two bikes in one space without blocking each other, three if they are not as bulky as a goldwing.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Out of frame, behind the camera: half a dozen motorcycle specific parking bays, completely covered in cars.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It doesn't look like parking is a problem there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They're really not great bikes from a strict riding viewpoint, especially in their supposed natural environment of posing around town.

Sounds Italian AF.