Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Cages are fine, but the cages you can buy at 98% of garden centers are worthless.

The best I've seen are made using cattle panels like these. You end up with something more resembling a circular trellis than a cage, with holes more than large enough to let you prune unproductive vines and wire plenty sturdy to tie up ones setting fruit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Wallet posted:

I don't think there's a tree thread specifically but this thread is usually more focused on stuff you can eat so you may have better luck in the Horticulture thread.

Oops, of course. Thanks y’all.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Could be cold. It's still a bit early for squash over here.

This could be it. We just hit 10°c at night so maybe they'll recover a bit. In any case I think another layer of compost rich soil can't hurt

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Sichuan peppercorn is starting to put out buds:

And now the long wait begins. The harvest has been roughly doubling every year, so with a little luck I'll have enough for four bowls of 麻婆豆腐 come Fall.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The asparagus seeds I put in last year(!) are just now starting to sprout. I thought they were dead and gave up on them.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Thumposaurus posted:

The asparagus seeds I put in last year(!) are just now starting to sprout. I thought they were dead and gave up on them.

sweet, they'll be ready to eat in another like 6 years

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/radtoria/status/1121607121735278592

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I bought some pepper and tomato plants from home depot last weekend and they were all dead within two days. Oops. Must have still been getting a little too cold still.

Should I harden off even store bought plants? I found some youtube videos that suggest that bonnie plants are hardened off before shipping, but who knows what damage home depot does.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Not sure if this is gardening or landscaping but we will see. Moved into a new place in Arizona and the builders put some bougainvillea in the yard. Read up about them and it is all they don’t need much water so I leave them be. Three weeks in and they have dropped all the flowers and appear to be drying out.

I have given the root system a good soak yesterday after reading some more and will see if there is any improvement in the next week or so. Does anyone have experience with these and have any advise? I would rather have them grow and fill the wall up as intended than they die and have to replace them with something else that won’t die because I have no idea about how to care for a garden :v: .

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

BigPaddy posted:

Not sure if this is gardening or landscaping but we will see. Moved into a new place in Arizona and the builders put some bougainvillea in the yard. Read up about them and it is all they don’t need much water so I leave them be. Three weeks in and they have dropped all the flowers and appear to be drying out.

I have given the root system a good soak yesterday after reading some more and will see if there is any improvement in the next week or so. Does anyone have experience with these and have any advise? I would rather have them grow and fill the wall up as intended than they die and have to replace them with something else that won’t die because I have no idea about how to care for a garden :v: .

I don't know about that specific plant, but even drought resistant plants need some extra care to get established first. It should bounce back if you keep periodically watering it.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

BigPaddy posted:

Not sure if this is gardening or landscaping but we will see.

More horticulture than either.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
First garden battle of the year is underway: I have whiteflies on my tomatoes. Fortunately they're still small enough that I could brush most of them and their eggs off with my fingers. Thinned the plants a bit too and I'll revisit with some soapy water tomorrow if they come back.

They're really going after my San Marzanos. My first plants to take off always seem to get attacked en masse.

gvibes posted:

I bought some pepper and tomato plants from home depot last weekend and they were all dead within two days. Oops. Must have still been getting a little too cold still.

Should I harden off even store bought plants? I found some youtube videos that suggest that bonnie plants are hardened off before shipping, but who knows what damage home depot does.

If your plot has full sun it might be too much? Two days is awfully quick though for healthy plants though, especially two diff species.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Bit a bit since I posted here. The garden is coming along nicely. I'm going to have a quart of raspberries at least, and grapes are going insane, it's at least 50 bunches starting on my four vines. My tree that everyone made fun of me for probably has 30/40 apples that are starting and I hope make it to fall. One of my blueberry bushes got killed so I have to replace it, and one has ~7 bluebs on it. Carrots are starting fine and my onion box is going great. I'm pretty happy with where everything ended up.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Chad Sexington posted:

If your plot has full sun it might be too much? Two days is awfully quick though for healthy plants though, especially two diff species.
It's not full sun. It got down into the 40s but I don't think below that. I didn't think it would kill them but what do I know.

I have some smaller seedlings I started inside and had been hardening off, and they look healthy, so hopefully those will just grow nice.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Quick question: what's long-term viability like for commercial seeds? I found a bunch of unopened packets in the back of a cabinet dating back to 2012. The impression I have is that 9 years isn't that long a time for seeds to be unused before planting, but if they're not likely to be good after this long, I don't want to waste my time. It's a mix of vegetables, herbs and flowers for full sun, fwiw.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Meaty Ore posted:

Quick question: what's long-term viability like for commercial seeds? I found a bunch of unopened packets in the back of a cabinet dating back to 2012. The impression I have is that 9 years isn't that long a time for seeds to be unused before planting, but if they're not likely to be good after this long, I don't want to waste my time. It's a mix of vegetables, herbs and flowers for full sun, fwiw.

Depends on how they've been stored.

You can try sprouting a couple from each pack in a wet paper towel and see how they do.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Motronic posted:

Depends on how they've been stored.

You can try sprouting a couple from each pack in a wet paper towel and see how they do.

Thanks. The seeds have been in the back of a little-used kitchen cabinet--so basically room temperature (generally ranging from 68-72 F.) with no exposure to the sun. I'm guessing they'll be alright. I'll probably forego the paper towel test; I just got done prepping my garden bed yesterday and want to get stuff in the ground ASAP. If they don't sprout, tough nuggets, but plants are cheap and especially seeds.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Help my plants are sad and sick!

The Toms I put in my special trellis bed are looking hosed up, but not as hosed up as the pea beans

Background, this plot has never been grown on by me, as I moved a shed to open this area up. I improved with some home made compost, but not as much as I would like. It has rained a lot lot lot since I put these in. The plants were going gang busters before I planted them out, admittedly with almost zero hardening. I gave them fish meal last week when symptoms first developed with no improvement.

So is this likely to be bacterial/fungal, nutritional, or bad plant care? Or all three!

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
The longevity of seeds is also highly dependent on the species.
I don't know of a convenient table or anything, but there's some stuff where germination rates drop after a year and other stuff that's a slow decrease for decades.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

CancerCakes posted:

So is this likely to be bacterial/fungal, nutritional, or bad plant care? Or all three!

That looks like sun burned leaves. How’s the new growth? It looks fine in the pictures, so if the new stuff is green and growing okay you can just prune off that burned stuff (and that whole branch on the tomato) and it should do fine. It’s why you’d want to harden off the plants, but they should recover okay.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Looks like sun scald, which would fit if you didn't harden them off. Have you had any sun since they were planted out, or has it been all rain?

Some plants will respond to low temperature shock with purple-tinged leaves. Again, maybe the effect of not hardening off?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Long beans, tomatoes, lettuce, mustard, herbs. Peppers are going out soon.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

CancerCakes posted:

Joining the chorus here: that's 100% sun scald.

I'm lazy as hell when it comes to hardening off and I always end up burning a few leaves on pretty much all my plants, so I'm way too used to seeing this kind of thing. Since you said you just put them in your beds, I'm guessing these are transplants?

The tomatoes will be fine. I've hosed up really bad in the past and ended up with like half of the leaves on a plant looking like that and it slowed down its growth for, I dunno, maybe half a week before it bounced back and started growing like crazy. If you look at the newest leaves, they all look okay, and new growth won't have this problem. The plant might be stunted for a bit while it recovers.

The beans are in bad shape, but anything that still has a few healthy leaves should be able to recover eventually. My recommendation would be to leave the damaged leaves in place for now. I usually have the best luck getting sun scalded plants to recover by leaving the damage alone until there's a decent amount of new growth. Once you've got quite a few healthy leaves, prune off the bad ones. I always read that sun scald has a pretty hit or miss recovery rate, but every plant that I've ever damaged like this has always recovered.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

showbiz_liz posted:

Long beans, tomatoes, lettuce, mustard, herbs. Peppers are going out soon.

That's cool. Do you have like a balcony or something? Or is this on top of a garage?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
gently caress these little fuckers. I hate them more than the ones that are more conspicuous because it's like... you think being green fools me? I've been crushing lots of eggs but may unleash some lady bugs soon. I guess lacewings are the new thing now?

In other news, I am also annoyed at our Brood X cicadas less because they are big and dumb and everywhere and more because they leave their shells on everything. Like... my beet is not a tree, my dude.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 17, 2021

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Chad Sexington posted:

gently caress these little fuckers. I hate them more than the ones that are more conspicuous because it's like... you think being green fools me? I've been crushing lots of eggs but may unleash some lady bugs soon. I guess lacewings are the new thing now?

In other news, I am also annoyed at our Brood X cicadas less because they are big and dumb and everywhere and more because they leave their shells on everything. Like... my beet is not a tree, my dude.

Gardening: "...you think being green fools me?"

I like this because it applies insects, undesirable plants, and desirable plants that aren't doing well but are still green.

Edit: I love that this has become the thread title. :D

poeticoddity fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 18, 2021

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Pumpkins are bouncing back, thank you for your help. Pumpkin season lives on.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Just finished cobbling together this raised bed with some old bricks I’ve dug up over the years and started filling it with some topsoil and compost to get my hops planted over the weekend!

Going to try and train the Cascade to trellis over the arch, and rain the Comet to go along the fenceline there with some t-posts and twine

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
on topic with the thread title:

Thinking about stealth planting some pumpkin sprouts in my local parks bark beds to see how long theyll go before someone tries to mitigate them.

I think it would be funny af if they manage to produce some actual pumpkins

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

Just finished cobbling together this raised bed with some old bricks I’ve dug up over the years and started filling it with some topsoil and compost to get my hops planted over the weekend!

Going to try and train the Cascade to trellis over the arch, and rain the Comet to go along the fenceline there with some t-posts and twine

Hell yeah.

Started training one shoot a couple days ago and I'm really surprised how excited it was to run with it.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Earth posted:

That's cool. Do you have like a balcony or something? Or is this on top of a garage?

I live in a three story building in Brooklyn where the top two stories are apartments and the bottom is a Domino's. The Domino's built an extension at some point, so the bottom floor has like twice the square footage of the apartments and juts out the back of the building. The second floor could just open a window and step out onto the Domino's roof. I'm on the third floor, but there's a fire escape I can access through my bedroom window which takes me down there.

This setup is a dream as far as Brooklyn is concerned - even people with real backyards usually get very little sun because of trees and other buildings, but I get full sun for most of the day. Only problem is I have to haul all my water down the fire escape. Also it always smells like pizza because the vent fan is right there, but that's not necessarily a negative, it's just weird.

I'll take a photo someday from the street back there.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

showbiz_liz posted:

Only problem is I have to haul all my water down the fire escape.

Get a hose that hooks up to your sink, they sell adaptors.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Spikes32 posted:

Get a hose that hooks up to your sink, they sell adaptors.

I've thought about it, it would have to be a drat long hose though. I'll measure the distance someday and see if it's practical.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

showbiz_liz posted:

I've thought about it, it would have to be a drat long hose though. I'll measure the distance someday and see if it's practical.

Even at 100-150’ it would be worth not carrying water out a window and down a fire escape to me. You can grab a couple quick disconnects for hoses and it makes it super easy to manage. Storing it would be the part that sucks. I’ve had to go with 125’ of hose in the past and it can easily be worth the effort of not carrying 15-20 gallons of water to where you need it.

Even just one hose that gets you not carrying it through a window might be worth it.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I have to carry around gallon jugs of water for ornamentals and screw doing that on a fire escape.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Planted two currant bushes and one grapevine. It's supposed to be extremely frost tolerant, so it can grow outside, in Finland.

Here we will grow potatoes, red beets, carrots, broccoli and peas. The big form is a concrete form I reused, not very pretty but at least I got some use out of the wood.

Currant, black & red. Use these for making cordial/squash.

Not gardening, but we got this small bridge and a path, makes for a nice shortcut when getting the mail.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

That's one hell of a rock.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Yeah, that rock whips rear end and I'm envious as heck.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Bi-la kaifa posted:

Pumpkin season lives on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

enjoyed a few probably-underripe snap peas today