Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Sydin posted:

The self-driving car should not be driving fast enough on a surface street such that it cannot stop before creaming pedestrians - animal or otherwise - at the next legal crossing. Also it should be built to a high enough safety standard that a head on crash into a barrier at surface street speeds doesn't kill its front passengers.

This was 100% my take lol. But no we get death race 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
hey with self driving cars you can now safely operate your phone while driving so whos to say :shrug:

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

Sydin posted:

Some highlights from the guy who lived behind me at my last place:

-Caught his garage on fire twice trying to half-rear end a grow-op, the second time he decided not to replace his garage door and just propped a piece of plywood up over the entrance.

-Refused to let PG&E into his backyard to trim the trees around a powerline that went over his property, eventually they had to roll up with cops to force him to let them do the trimming job.

-In retaliation for this, he decided he was no longer going to pay his power bill. When they cut him off, he bought a gigantic diesel generator and ran it 24/7 to power his whole house. He'd go get the fuel for it by skatebording a couple blocks over to the gas station to fill up a canister.

-Collected shitloads of CD's for no other reason than to sit on his front porch and chuck them onto the sidewalk/street as hard as he could.

-Didn't own a car but was sick of people parking in front of his house, so he pushed his full couch out onto the curb to block the parking spot. Multiple times city people showed up to haul it away as junk and he got into protracted screaming fights with them over it.

-Would get drunk and just chuck the bottles everywhere, one time he hurled a 1.5L bottle of mystery vodka right at my front door and covered the entire porch in shattered glass.

-Owned multiple parrots that he'd start screaming at every morning around 5AM - they would naturally scream back - and would keep it up for at least an hour, sometimes two!

-Hopped the fence into my backyard to use my BBQ grill to (rather unsuccessfully) burn some kind of torn up document. Had the decency to at least use his own charcoal and leave half a bag behind on my back porch.

-Was also perfectly friendly with me and my roommate whenever we bumped into each other, and even recommended a couple awesome bars in the area I'd have never looked twice at otherwise.

Outside of the crazy gun toting folks I think I've just been completely desensitized to crazy neighbors after living next to that guy almost seven years.

This guy sounds dope as gently caress

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Sydin posted:

The self-driving car should not be driving fast enough on a surface street such that it cannot stop before creaming pedestrians - animal or otherwise - at the next legal crossing. Also it should be built to a high enough safety standard that a head on crash into a barrier at surface street speeds doesn't kill its front passengers.

That's true but I think that the general question being asked is one of a philosophical nature. Given the choice, does the car spare a pedestrian's life, crashing the car into an oncoming vehicle or does it favor the life of the passenger killing the pedestrian. I got into a huge pointless blow-out argument with somebody about this topic years ago but my solution to it was that the passenger(s) select the accident avoidance algorithm as they enter the car leaving the moral quandary out of the designers hands.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I would love to see the statistics of what people would actually choose, and if they change their minds over time

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I would choose drive on the sidewalk mode with the front bumper spikes deployed

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
So these are cars and vehicular manslaughter but without even the incidental guilt of an 'accident' because the human is no longer considered 'driving'

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sjs00 posted:

So these are cars and vehicular manslaughter but without even the incidental guilt of an 'accident' because the human is no longer considered 'driving'
They become sort of infrastructural by that point. There is a potentially guilty/liable corporate person or potentially negligent individual who is at fault who may have no current relation to the current occupants or owners of the vehicle. Or it may have been an unavoidable force majeure incident. I call out infrastructural because it's a bit like a bridge collapsing. There isn't a person living in the bridge that is guilty of a bridge collapse so as a society we find ways of holding something accountable so that the next bridge is built a little better.

I'd say insurance would sort out how you approach failure states where you pay extra for an approach that benefits yourself but might have more collateral damage but after thinking out the above, that's legally scary because you open yourself up to liability as the negligent person above for choosing the greedy setting.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Stay safe, Illuminati ghost.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Undecided if that was a dream, a creative writing exercise, or a dude out of his mind on shrooms since one of the standouts descriptions is sickly pasty white face.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
That Illuminati pin thing is cool

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I'm getting echoes of Nurse was a MAN with a HOOK for some reason

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead
lol AFH is that you?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yeah, and that would require some level of centralized control.

I do think that is probably inevitable, but a lot farther off than I would have guessed 10 years ago.

Smart roads would be the "right" way to do it, but the roads are already built so :shrug:

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Weird Car in Neighborhood - WATCH OUT!

Any body else seen a really weird car driving around the last few days? I woke up early this morning to walk my dog and I seen it driving about 10-35 mph (hard to tell exactly) around Crestview and Billings. Big black car, kind of like a hearse but not, and I could hear weird sounds coming from it.

About an hour later I was on my back porch smoking my pipe when I heard the same weird noises again, this time the car FLEW BY my house, going extremely fast and I could see it was very big, bigger than any car I seen before. It wasn't a truck, though, I didn't see a bed in the back.

Seems to be going from house to house very quickly (fast!) and making a lot of banging and clanging noises. About 5 or 6 am.

UPDATED: It was the garbage truck. Never seen it before!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Ultra Carp
Cleaning service.

I'm looking for a good reasonable cleaning service. I've caught my current cleaner leaving after one hour of unfinished work twice now. She used to put in an hour and 45 minutes. She still charges me $75.00 though?

It's a one-bedroom, one-bath basement apartment, and the cleaner only has to vacuum the bedroom. I think I might be getting taken advantage of because she is an attractive woman, and I'm a single man? Or maybe this is the going rate, and that's why no one will work for $15 an hour?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Stay safe, Illuminati ghost.

Nice. I wish someone would break into my apartment too and leave kickass jewelry and money for me

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Sjs00 posted:

hey with self driving cars you can now safely operate your phone while driving so whos to say :shrug:

CHP currently tracking down some rear end in a top hat who was repeatedly photographed sitting in the back seat of a Tesla solo all weekend.

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/man-cruises-through-bay-area-from-back-seat-of-tesla-using-autopilot/

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

GABA ghoul posted:

Nice. I wish someone would break into my apartment too and leave kickass jewelry and money for me

For your corpse, maybe. Be careful what you wish for.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

A Fancy Hat posted:

Weird Car in Neighborhood - WATCH OUT!

Any body else seen a really weird car driving around the last few days? I woke up early this morning to walk my dog and I seen it driving about 10-35 mph (hard to tell exactly) around Crestview and Billings. Big black car, kind of like a hearse but not, and I could hear weird sounds coming from it.

About an hour later I was on my back porch smoking my pipe when I heard the same weird noises again, this time the car FLEW BY my house, going extremely fast and I could see it was very big, bigger than any car I seen before. It wasn't a truck, though, I didn't see a bed in the back.

Seems to be going from house to house very quickly (fast!) and making a lot of banging and clanging noises. About 5 or 6 am.

UPDATED: It was the garbage truck. Never seen it before!

I wish you could ignore mods. I know some people think this parody stuff is funny and that's fine, I'd rather just skip it for the real stuff.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I should probably post some content too, I kind of enjoy the publically shaming racists while using their real name aspect to Nextdoor honestly. At least on mine they get pushed back at hard. More from the saga of anti racism signs being stolen:

quote:

I don’t think they didn’t like the message.... it’s a lazy go-to to assume everyone is a racist. Rather than waste time stealing a sign about racism having “no home here” I have to imagine a true racist would more likely be out tormenting poc or something. Please, enough with the race baiting.

quote:

If there is a pattern in a neighborhood of a particular kind of sign being taken, I think it's fair to have a hunch that someone doesn't like the message on the signs. It's not race baiting to come to that logical conclusion from a pattern of evidence, especially when one doesn't allege any race for the perpetrator.
Edit: I also wanted to add that acts of vandalism can be motivated by racism- as evidenced by the recent painting of swastikas on a mosque in Moorhead. Many racists are quite cowardly, and don't regularly physically assault people of color. Some only express their bigotry when they believe no one will see or identity them

quote:

If anyone wants a new sign to replace some of these, I have many “wishing our Muslim neighbors a blessed Ramadan” yard signs available for free or a donation to the Minnesota Council of Churches Interfaith Coordinator. Just message me!

quote:

I am not sure humanity based phrases are political. “Racism is not welcome here” is a non-binary statement but a UNIVERSAL statement for all people everywhere. But I think I know where you stand if that is your interpretation of that sign. Ps- I have flowers, the us flag and BLM and inclusion signs - all in the same yard. It seems to work...

quote:

I know of someone who, having had several signs stolen, smeared the back edges of his next lawn sign with dog feces. I think that stopped the thefts. 😉

quote:

Junior High. I saw a political sign
And the owners placed an attachment- yours could read “ EVERYTIME THIS SIGN IS STOLEN $50 IS DONATED TO BLM.” So take that.

quote:

When your political beliefs can be summed up as “pro-hate...” LMAO! What kind of terrible person has a problem with a sign like that? Sorry these jerks feel the need to do this.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 11:01 on May 11, 2021

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

$55? They're dreaming.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Hahaha is this in NC?

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

lol

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

you can always flag that post for "inappropriate commercial posting" if you feel like pissing them off.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
someone posted this 10 minutes ago

Gas. The shortage has started. This gas station only had premium to offer.
Be mindful if you don’t need to drive around you might want to consider staying home.
I am sorry I meant to say Taco Bell is never short on gas!

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
A disbeliever in the oils.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Lmao sorry I just let my bird out to poop, as you do, and the little bugger wouldn’t come back in

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
lol

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

I feel this person's pain... there's a bunch of mockingbird nests around my house, and the babies communicate with their parents every 30s or so with a single PEEP in the same register as my smoke alarms. The sound pierces your soul, but you forget about it until the next spring.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
lol at hearing a bird making noise outside and immediately assuming someone is to blame instead of it just being.... a bird, outside, where birds belong

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I demand to speak to the bird manager

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Ghost Leviathan posted:

you can speak to my Bird Lawyer but that's it

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Play posted:

you can speak to my Bird Lawyer but that's it

Ladies and gentlemen, distinguished collies

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

“The customer is always right,” mentality/pandering has destroyed society to point that a bunch of yahoos showed up at the Capitol on 1/6 demanding to speak to a manager because they were dissatisfied with the results of an election. :lol:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Please lowball this sack of poo poo and offer him $0.99 for one or $2.50 for the whole set and post results here tia

Wait is that you?

kntfkr fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 13, 2021

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I can hear birds yappin, and dogs gnashin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

That smart money is on buying all of the Stabil from every store around and then selling it to all the gas hoarders for 1000% markup.