Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Yeah I'm mostly trying to find something that is harder to take off than 'unclip'. I am only trying to dissuade opportunistic theft of valueless items. Locking zippers would be more than enough, but most waterproof luggage seems to use rolltops with clips. I have no idea how to lock those clips in any convenient fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Tight helmet update: I don't think it's broken in, but I managed a 2 hour ride with less pain by periodically puffing out my cheeks so I could close my jaw fully without biting my cheeks. Slimmer pads are on their way from Revzilla though.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
One of the ways my anxiety expresses is clenching my jaw so much that I end up with TMJ if I’m not careful.

So my new helmet pinching my cheeks a little actually helps with that and gives me some time where I’m not mentally checking on my what my face is doing.

Riding is supposed to be therapeutic, but this seems a bit literal.

I can feel it giving, so I don’t think my helmet needs smaller pads, but I know they’re out there if I do.

What I did need was a tiny sliver more space around my ears for my glasses, so I took an x-acto knife and widen the divot. I used a small knife I have for model building and took really, really small bits out and tested it in between. I think I’ve got it right now, but I still might get a cheap pair of glasses just for riding that have as small a profile as possible.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I've now done my first longer rides + listened to some music with the sena HD/50s upgrade speakers, both in mesh mode and Bluetooth mode.
They're a good upgrade. Better sound quality, higher volume.
And I need to find my dad a used sena 30k because fuuuck going back to more than 2 riders on Bluetooth mode both the the added radio noise and the pair/drop out bullshit.
He's on a 20s and me and my brother uses 30k units.
Mesh is the future.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 17, 2021

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Agreed...

Until someone upgrades their firmware, or forgets to upgrade their firmware. Or has a cardo.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
For those interested, I figured out how to trick non-mesh Sena into connecting more than 4 riders. Apparently the function had always existed, but the drop in quality does not really worth it

Haha, the new title is fantastic!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I really, really hope someone wanders in asking whether they've ruined their helmet by not doing that.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Went to a local shop that happened to have Revit Vertex GT pants in a size I wanted to try and ooh boy, they didn't work in funny ways. So I think something more touring oriented from revit would do better. Ordered the ignition 3 pants last night, hope they get here by the weekend.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Not sure why your looked at the knee pucks and decided to even consider that for touring

Speaking of touring pants, what's well ventilated and can be unzipped for casual wear? I'm hoping there are pants and convert into shorts. My current alpinestars will open, but not separate into parts, which is just awkward all around

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Using the logic that 4 wheels bad, 2 wheels good and thus by extension 1 wheel must be great I've bought an electric unicycle.

:thunk:

So I went and bought a dirtbike helmet because even though I have no intention of riding it on roads, I still don't plan on using my face as a shock absorber in the event of a spill.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Nitrox posted:

Not sure why your looked at the knee pucks and decided to even consider that for touring

Speaking of touring pants, what's well ventilated and can be unzipped for casual wear? I'm hoping there are pants and convert into shorts. My current alpinestars will open, but not separate into parts, which is just awkward all around

I mostly wanted maximum protection and some ventilation. The Vertex's were loose in the waist by 1 size (which is ok according to shop staff since you're zipping it to jacket), suuuuper tight in the quads and I couldn't zip the ankles over my calves. The gentleman at the shop also said they were bunching up funny right above the knee. I think a tall size would have helped, but the follow up comment about them not really venting well made it a no no. I know i'm sacrificing some protection going with half leather pants but they should breathe a lot better (plus comes with a weather liner for the "winter").

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Carth Dookie posted:

Using the logic that 4 wheels bad, 2 wheels good and thus by extension 1 wheel must be great I've bought an electric unicycle.

:thunk:

So I went and bought a dirtbike helmet because even though I have no intention of riding it on roads, I still don't plan on using my face as a shock absorber in the event of a spill.

Did you get a onewheel? Those things look fun as heck.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

bengy81 posted:

Did you get a onewheel? Those things look fun as heck.

No I'd rather not break my collarbone (they're not great value from a specs perspective and in my opinion have fatal design flaws).

I got a Kingsong 16x. More about it and my EUC journey and eventual hospitalization here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933074&pagenumber=15#post514848855

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:whitewater:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That thing does 30mph?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That thing does 30mph?

The Kingsong? Yes it can I think.

Some out there will do 50+ (I'm not buying one of them because I don't care about top speed for that sort of thing, I need torque for hills).

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

That sounds more terrifying than anything on a motorcycle.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Russian Bear posted:

That sounds more terrifying than anything on a motorcycle.

Eh.

I've done 30+mph on a road bicycle. It's what you get used to I guess.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That thing does 30mph?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqINyCj3lzk

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

That's whats known as a "cut out"

basically the motor shut down. most likely because he was going too fast and the batteries were too low on charge. The EUCs all have speakers and functions to warn you not to do that. If you disrespect the beeps, you go down. To bring it back to a motorcycle context; imagine leaving the bike in first gear and going wide open throttle until the engine seized or the cylinder head ejected itself. That dude was Squidding.

EUCs from a few years ago had much smaller batteries and less powerful motors, which made it much more likely that you'd accidentally put the motor into a cutout situation during the course of normal use. These days its much harder unless you are deliberately taking the thing outside its design paramaters.

It's also why you wear full face helmets and wrist guards at minimum.

this guy is an experienced EUC rider but if he rode that way on a motorbike he would probably be considered a massive idiot by goon standards (and rightly so). Came off at 70+kph and was fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oopPNGKtbUI

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 20, 2021

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

Eh.

I've done 30+mph on a road bicycle. It's what you get used to I guess.

I guess it's like anything else, just takes getting used to. I feel alright on my bike up to 45mph on speedy descents, 50 starts to feel like there are too many risk factors stacking up.

Edit: by bike in this post i mean bicycle; still getting used to swapping terminology depending on the audience...

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 20, 2021

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Russian Bear posted:

I guess it's like anything else, just takes getting used to. I feel alright on my bike up to 45mph on speedy descents, 50 starts to feel like there are too many risk factors stacking up.

yeah I know what you mean.

Also on a bicycle I'm usually only wearing lycra and a bicycle helmet, whereas at the same speed on a motorcycle I'm wearing leather, armor and a motorcycle helmet.

on an EUC because I'm not pedalling I have the opportunity to wear more protective gear than I would on a bicycle.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

After seeing a few videos I have to go with

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Is there a trick to figuring out if boots fit right that doesn't require having a bike to sit on? I ordered some Icon Jokers, they seem alright, nothing hurts/pinches when walking around though they are a little snug around the top of my foot. I'd like to try a half size up (9.5) but nobody has that in stock and I feel like that might just end up being too roomy in other areas anyway; as it is the calf is kinda floppy (and isn't adjustable). I tried on a few pairs at the Dianese store and they all felt pretty good though it was really obvious that my feet are different sizes in them for some reason. I just want something black, calf-length, waterproof and fairly subdued in appearance.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
As long as you're not riding a sport bike, chances are if the boot is comfortable to walk around in it will be fine on the bike. If your pegs or rearsets are mounted pretty high, you'll need a boot that allows more forward flexion in the ankle.

I also wouldn't recommend Icon gear. They tend to go more for looks than function.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You might want to check if there is wider option in the same size. The size number only regrets to sole length. Some manufacturers just make one type of shoe and you may not be their ideal fit. Just like helmets, if you think about it

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jazzzzz posted:

As long as you're not riding a sport bike, chances are if the boot is comfortable to walk around in it will be fine on the bike. If your pegs or rearsets are mounted pretty high, you'll need a boot that allows more forward flexion in the ankle.

I also wouldn't recommend Icon gear. They tend to go more for looks than function.

You say that but check out their videos? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTvYAcJOx3s

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Jazzzzz posted:

Ryan from F9 recommended the Jokers which is the only reason I was checking them out. On closer examination their build quality isn't as good as on the Dainese boots, that's for sure; I do like their single zipper up the back design though, much easier to get into then the side-zipper plus velcro most of the other ones I tried had. I'm walking distance to Dainese so now that I've tried these on I'll probably go back and compare fits, might check the Cycle Gear store too to see if they have anything my sizes in stock. I swear, trying to find quality gear that fits me well has been more work than actually getting my license.

builds character posted:

You say that but check out their videos?
:yikes:

bizwank fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 21, 2021

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Ended up in the Dainese Fulcrum GT; after a few minutes of walking around in the store they fit in all the right ways, plus the calf has velcro on both sides so it can adjust to fit inside or outside pants. I liked the Alpinestars Web that I tried on, but the fit wasn't as perfect and they were the same prices as the Dainese so I figured I'd go for the set bonus.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Got the Revit Ignition 3 pants in a 50 Tall and they feel really nice. Just got to sit on the bike so far, but everything feels good zipped together. Shoutout to revit for having lanky sizes.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So I finally did some riding in my revit airwave 3 and it feels really cool but also… really flimsy. I don’t know how to describe it. The airflow is magnificent but I’m a little worried about protection to be perfectly frank. I don’t know, I’m sure it’s fine for donking around town, but it really makes me want to replace my torn Dainse Super Speed textile next paycheck for highway riding.

The SS Tex feels like a motorcycle jacket with lots of textile for airflow where the Airwave feels like a windbreaker with armour.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Cross brand comparison is always difficult.

Innovation, actual good and breathable fabrics that protects just aren't what most deliver.
Look into what both manufacturers actually say their mesh stuff is. Research to get an overview of what is buzzwords Vs what's actually tested.
Your airwave 3 might actually be a, in the realm of mesh jackets, a good jacket. It also might be "cordura". Ok, what weave, what tensile strength. The less info a manufacturer has on a jacket usually the more crap it is. If it was good their marketing had added a bragging bullet point.

Google that poo poo.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The only thing that's CE certified on that Dianese jacket are the shoulder sliders. You're also comparing two very different price points imo, a $200 jacket to $370. The Revit Tornado is probably more comparable and actually has a AA rating. Don't see anything on Dianese's website about their safety stuff.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm, yeah, that’s very fair. I did a fair amount of research before buying it last year and I think it was resoundingly “decent”. I guess I just wasn’t prepared for the Airwave to feel as light as it did. Could be mental too.

I’m probably still going to do the SSTex next month.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Martytoof posted:

Hmm, yeah, that’s very fair. I did a fair amount of research before buying it last year and I think it was resoundingly “decent”. I guess I just wasn’t prepared for the Airwave to feel as light as it did. Could be mental too.

ya it's very light which is why I love it for riding down here in the south in the summer lol

their seesmart pads are so so good

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

drat. Now I'm looking at that and the A* Wake Air.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I wouldn't rule out anything based on my impressions TBH. If you were looking at the airwave it's probably still a good jacket for the price, it just feels suspect to me (personally). I'd wait until GP Bikes or something is open for walk-ins again and try things on for feel. Hopefully they are available again next month.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I just bought an arai xd4 and am very excited :D

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man, the transition visor for RF-1200s is out of stock everywhere in Canada. I guess it's keeping me from spending $300 on top of my jacket but still..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Just went to throw on my helmet for a quick grocery run and when I tipped it over I got covered in swamp water :gonk:

I really need to find a place to hang my helmet that isn't upside down, directly beneath the coat rail. Especially when I come back from a 3 hour ride in the rain.