Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This pushes us to DEFCON 2 right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Laughing my head off at how the Canaries' hyper-competence simply can't keep up with the powerful dumbass energy of the Dungeon crew.

RatHat posted:

The canary's reaction to the winged lion makes me think something is different about it than other demons. Maybe it's a higher ranked one or something?

I think they're mostly caught off guard in the first panel. After that we have Mithrun, who is in full "oh, you motherfucker" mode, and Patadol, who is on her very first deployment (according to her profile in the Adventurer's Bible) and presumably hasn't actually seen a demon before. Sithis's Bible material also implies she was introduced to Mithrun after Utaya, but I can't remember if it's been specified for the other members anywhere (it's not in the Bible).

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
gently caress like, I saw this coming but the court mage trick did got me
marcille...

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

have a hard time explaining the emotions i felt seeing this panel... marcile... :sob:

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 14, 2021

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oh, oh dear. :ohdear:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

RatHat posted:

The canary's reaction to the winged lion makes me think something is different about it than other demons. Maybe it's a higher ranked one or something?

Their job is to suppress dungeons before the demon really manifests, or if the demon has manifested, to clean up the disaster left behind. The demon manifesting directly in front of them, deep in the middle of an active dungeon, and asking a person they're trying to bring into custody "hey, what would you like me to do right now? :)" is about as close to an absolute worst case scenario as they can probably imagine.

The reason that the Canaries are composed of criminal elves is that nobody will miss them when/if they die because the understanding is if they run into an active demon they're probably dead.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the cover of this chapter is so good
marcille is awkard and sheepish, hiding one ear. for most of the series she was our example of an elf (not knowing she was a half elf), though on that wall she looks out of place. and this chapter then just goes on to highlight how out of place she is

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

This chapter was the D&D session where it's diplomacy and deception rolls all the way down

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
God this manga is so loving good. It's actually the top of my list of all time reads. It's so consistently good and interesting.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Interesting detail on the chapter cover is how every full-blooded elf have pointy ear-tips while Marcille's are more rounded. To other elves, that must've been an instant visual indicates that someone's a half-blood. It wasn't so obvious in early chapters when Marcille is the only elf we know, but this chapter has been drawing attention to the differences in ear-tips between her and the Canaries.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Id imagine most of them havent met a half elf.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

BEHOLD MY STAND

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

As absolutely catastrophic as this development is, I can't help but think like...well, good. This is like, the only path the party had to avoid rotting in an elvish prison until the day they die.

It's...still an absolutely horrible situation, but they have a chance now I feel

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

BEHOLD MY STAND

Someone else did the needful

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Arzaac posted:

As absolutely catastrophic as this development is, I can't help but think like...well, good. This is like, the only path the party had to avoid rotting in an elvish prison until the day they die.

It's...still an absolutely horrible situation, but they have a chance now I feel

Yeahhhhhh

Also I just kinda want to pat myself on the back for a bit because i predicted this development 4 years ago

looking at the falin thing i said there too i still wonder about that as well.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Snooze Cruise posted:

the cover of this chapter is so good
marcille is awkard and sheepish, hiding one ear. for most of the series she was our example of an elf (not knowing she was a half elf), though on that wall she looks out of place. and this chapter then just goes on to highlight how out of place she is

And of course Pattadol's portrait would look like a passport photo. I love that straight-laced, put-upon, lower-middle-management elf.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
My favourite part was sticking a straight up Ranma gag in the middle of the chapter to break things up. It just needed someone doing the little surprised devil horns hand gesture.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I wonder how close we are to the end of the series, with this happening.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Siegkrow posted:

BEHOLD MY STAND

man how is laios gonna eat his way out of this pickle?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Siegkrow posted:

BEHOLD MY STAND

「GIRLS JUST WANNA HAVE LUNCH」

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Marcille has come so far

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

Or the canonical Weird Al song Jojo reference

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

kidcoelacanth posted:

This chapter was the D&D session where it's diplomacy and deception rolls all the way down

And the 14 the party rolled at the start wasn’t enough but you just kept letting them spin the bullshit

profileusername
Mar 2, 2019

Some great facial expressions in these Canary chapters.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeeep, so Marcille did summon a demon and became the lord of the dungeon as expected, although the path there was a bit more circuitous. Well poo poo.

Also pour one for poor Kabru, just standing there, suffering, for like third chapter in a row. :allears:

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
oh hey, look at that

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Wallrod posted:

oh hey, look at that

Do you mean the tomes in her pants or her jumping in Laios' face?

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
yes

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Hahahahah, I just noticed on the cover ... a certain someone's long, flowing locks.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Oh gosh Marcille looks so cute in the Brady Bunch style cover page. :kimchi:

EDIT: And it's such a huge contrast to the end of the chapter holy poo poo :tviv:

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
did this page from the Adventurer's Bible a few days ago, right as the chapter dropped, which was a not so good time for teehee funnies :v: here it is now

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
chilchuck is right about laios.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
All of them got Marcille's hair wrong

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I would have too. I never noticed just how complicated Marcille's hair is.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Don't mind me, just going to post these two excellent panels from the latest chapter:

:smug: Marcille

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

I will always love both that Joseph felt the need to gently caress with people and pretend to be a vampire after coming back from the dead, and that his grandson deduced he was still himself by questioning Joseph's knowledge of Weird Al.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Chilchuck knows too well that Senshi is hot, and that's why he must never meet his daughters.

And that page is right to call out Laios on not paying attention to his friends.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I dunno, I think he was the most accurate on faces. Maybe second to Chilchuck on Marcille's face, they've got pretty different expressions though which makes it harder to compare.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
His Marcille was the "final" fake too, the one that was hard for everyone to figure out, compared to Senshi's being eliminated right away and Chilchuk's getting caught fairly quick too. And of course he figured them all out in the end, even before he scared the shapeshifter into dropping the illusions.

Senshi's the one who had none of the fakes made from his memories make it into the final three. That's admittedly understandable given him joining the group relatively recently, though at the same time his Chilchuck was the one with nonsense lockpicks. (Marcille's Senshi was the one with the simplified cooking utensils, meanwhile.) Also, Marcille spotted Chilchuck's Senshi right away, but neither Chilchuck nor Laios could tell the difference despite him being the most obviously different Senshi of the fakes.

Unexpected as it may be, Laios and Marcille actually had the best "performances" when it comes to the shapeshifters, at least as I see it, while Senshi and Chilchuck, despite being far more "grounded", did much worse. Chilchuck in particular did surprisingly badly, given his usual perceptiveness and time with the party; despite how long he's been with the group, both his Marcille and his Laios were eliminated pretty early, and his Senshi would have been unconvincing to anyone except Laios too. Though his Marcille did pretty well until she had to open up her book, so I suppose if you set that aside his might have been the most accurate of the three.

Edit: Admittedly, part of my perspective here is just that I'd expect Chilchuck to do better and Marcille and Laios to do worse; setting expectations based on knowing the characters aside, they did comparably, though Laios still did pretty well overall. His Senshi was probably the most accurate overall, despite the missing hole in the helmet, and similarly his Chilchuck was close except for the incorrect neckband. He got his party members' accessories wrong, which stood out when put next to the others, but on the people themselves I think he was perhaps the closest overall and the most accurate on everyone else, except again maybe Chilchuck's Marcille (spellbook aside).

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Khasim
Dec 20, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

chilchuck is right about laios.
also senshi