Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

anime was right posted:

i think the pandemic basically gave everyone with sudden infinite free time the excuse to finally read it

It's that and the fact that a long running popular Shounen that has been slept on by a ton of western YouTubers is content-creation gold for many channels. The series is like, what, 500+ episodes now, probably well past that.

That is easy money over a long time period for reactors jumping on the bandwagon who are otherwise starved for content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Parrotine posted:

It's that and the fact that a long running popular Shounen that has been slept on by a ton of western YouTubers is content-creation gold for many channels. The series is like, what, 500+ episodes now, probably well past that.

That is easy money over a long time period for reactors jumping on the bandwagon who are otherwise starved for content.

1013 chapters, 974 episodes.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
should've went seasonal after the timeskip

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Somehow missed that Luffy was thrown from the island itself, thought on first read Kaido dumped his body into the main plaza to show everyone he's dead.

So who's saving Luffy? The SH Armada catching him in the sea would be neat, but we already have a lot of characters in the arc. Maybe more likely it's Momo to the rescue. He's the only one who'd even know Luffy's falling to his death.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

anime was right posted:

massive jump starting in april 2020 lol

I tried having One Piece on a few times while I was wfh. Started at the arc before Dressrosa with the gas and the giant kids. Couldn't get through it. The anime drags.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Sub Harrison posted:

Somehow missed that Luffy was thrown from the island itself, thought on first read Kaido dumped his body into the main plaza to show everyone he's dead.

So who's saving Luffy? The SH Armada catching him in the sea would be neat, but we already have a lot of characters in the arc. Maybe more likely it's Momo to the rescue. He's the only one who'd even know Luffy's falling to his death.

hes gonna land on wano (dozens of minutes have passed since law swapped zoro down at this point so plenty of time has passed since big mom fell) or momos gonna save him while yamato has a conversation with kaido.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Definitely feels like Momo's time to shine, given how he can sense Luffy. Also he's going to be the next shogun of Wano, at some point he has to do something that demonstrates him growing into the role instead of running and/or hiding.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wonder if Ninja lady can age up Momo into a young man and that's part of what allows him to help luffy next chapter...

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think the other important thing is that the Shonen Jump app means that it's now actually possible to (legally) read One Piece without spending eight hundred dollars or whatever it would cost to buy 95 loving volumes of manga.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Definitely feels like Momo's time to shine, given how he can sense Luffy. Also he's going to be the next shogun of Wano, at some point he has to do something that demonstrates him growing into the role instead of running and/or hiding.

momos like the only character i actively dislike in wano so i really hope he doesnt get like whole entire chapters dedicated to this poo poo

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

rip

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sub Harrison posted:

It's gonna be Katakuri using his future sight.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

YggiDee posted:

I think the other important thing is that the Shonen Jump app means that it's now actually possible to (legally) read One Piece without spending eight hundred dollars or whatever it would cost to buy 95 loving volumes of manga.

There’s the omnibuses which are pretty decent for the price/quality so it’s only about $500! :v:

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i like what momo has become a lot tbh

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this is Momo's moment to do something brave!

(Unspoilering my speculation to add to the current discussion)

jassa posted:

See the reason I think it could be Momo is because we know he's been actively monitoring Luffy's condition from afar, we know he can fly, and it would be thematically fitting considering he's always being protected and rescued by others. It'd also set him up to be present for the final showdown (presumably involving Yamato and Luffy) and ready to slow/stop the island's descent.

Edit: It'd also be a good opportunity for him to figure out the extent of his powers - progressing from "I can make myself hover" to "I can fly in the open sky and save my friend" to "I might be able to do something about this falling island".

Then again, I was way off with my prediction about this chapter, so for all I know it'll be CP0 or Toko jumping in to save Luffy.

The little guy can't fight yet, but his powers are still very well suited for rescue and support. And he needs to be actively involved in this arc's climax/resolution in some capacity.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Someone mentioned the tengu earlier, that's possible too. He hasn't really had a role yet and I assume the island is over Wano by now.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I wonder what Kaido is gonna do now? He's right that the Strawhats are gonna believe in Luffy until the end, but it would still be pretty bad if he went downstairs and started wrecking poo poo.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's not like Luffy actually needs saved here anyway. Worst case is that he hits the ground and bounces a few times before he uses Gear 4 to get back into the fight.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

rannum posted:

I am going to assume we'll cut back to her & brook losing then saved by Law or whatever

The constant cut-backs to after the fight is starting to annoy me. I'd really much prefer if Oda just showed us some key scenes from each fight.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

The issue is that the last time someone was knocked off the top of Onigashima there was ocean below them

It's possible it's gotten to land by now, but you'd think Kaido would have noticed that and not just assumed Luffy was about to die from hitting the ground.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
It will be a PHENOMINAL narrative parallel for Luffy to fall from a flying island, hit the ground, survive, and get back up with a renewed sense of determination, considering how Kaidou was introduced.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Tir McDohl posted:

The issue is that the last time someone was knocked off the top of Onigashima there was ocean below them

It's possible it's gotten to land by now, but you'd think Kaido would have noticed that and not just assumed Luffy was about to die from hitting the ground.

i mean something like thirty minutes to over an hour have passed since big mom fell

Wudz
Aug 19, 2005

*LATEST FAD
Finally luffy will awaken to Gum Gum Bounce House and when he hits the ground he'll instead bounce back at mach speeds and punch kaido right in the dang nuts

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh no
Luffy fell from snake way

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Luffy is made out of rubber, he's going to hit the ground and bouncy ball all the way back up to Kaido,

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

AtomikKrab posted:

Luffy is made out of rubber

How did that happen

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fawf posted:

How did that happen

He took a bite of Gum Gum

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
YAYO YAYO

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Haha, Luffy just getting meterored after getting cocky. I love Kaido, he's a beast.

Like, a monarch of them even.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
prediction: Momo has to go and rescue luffy / carry him back up to Onigashima, only by the time they get there it turns out that Robin and Brook have defeated Kaido, leading to a dilemma of whether Luffy has to defeat Robin and Brook to become the King of the Pirates.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

It'll either be him or Yamato. I've seen people speculate that he has the mythical White Tiger zoan to oppose Kaido's Azure Dragon.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

YggiDee posted:

This is exactly what I did last year during the worst of the lockdown. I realized that the entire series was part of my SJ subscription to read it all in a period of around 4 months.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
The last chapter:

"1v1, always bet on Kaido? Pft, Luffy got his conqueror's haki powerup, he's going to power through and upset this."

This chapter:

...Whelp

Then there's Big Mom just shaking off Kid's attack, that series of panels looked great. All the art for Big Mom is fantastic; rapidly cycling through happy, anguished, murderous, bored... she is terrifying.

It's been said so many times, but drat Oda is truly making the Yonko feel absolutely unstoppable monsters. For all the hits landed so far, it still doesn't feel anyone is actually a threat to either of them.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/...mber%3D1587pti8

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
arcsys was supposed to make a 3v3 fighting game like dbfz wtf

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Violen posted:

was pretty bummed about the nami fight rob into nami power-up rob until we cut to luffy being definitely and permanently dead and i was like oh okay, i see oda. i get thing.

Who's rob

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
He means she got robbed of her fight and then robbed of her potential power up

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Guy with a pigeon.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I'm killing time watching some YouTubers going through early One Piece, and for all the smoke and fire that's thrown around with the gears and haki these days, it's easy to forget the straight up gangster moments that happened.

One of my favorite scenes is when Luffy is fighting Krieg who plays dirty by covering himself with an iron spiked quill wrap with his Come At Me Bro poo poo-eating grin on his greasy mug, only for the rubber man to flat slug through it anyways, loving ow dude, you love to see it :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Im always surprised when people say Arlong Park is when the real One Piece starts because that’s always been Baratie for me. I mean, it’s more of a gradual sliding scale than anything cause the first thing that moved me was Usopp trying in vain to save his little village, but the combination of Luffy vs Krieg and the implications of Mihawk’s introduction (like holy poo poo, this guy cut up a fleet of ships on a whim and clowned a guy almost as sting Luffy without breaking a sweat, how strong is everyone else on the Grand Line???) are when OP starts being more than just a cute adventure comic. Well, exclusively that.