Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
The 555 is a long-obsolete convenience part but if you're wondering what it evolved into check out the datasheets for the timerblox series.

Bet you could flash an LED with one of those too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Stack Machine posted:

The 555 is a long-obsolete convenience part but if you're wondering what it evolved into check out the datasheets for the timerblox series.

Bet you could flash an LED with one of those too.

Oh, I used one of those to convert an analog signal into a PWM signal to get it across an isolator once, worked great.

Also I once swapped out a 555 for a 7555 without thinking too hard about it and suddenly found the circuit was running at like a few megahertz instead of the tens of kilohertz it was supposed to :v:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Forseti posted:

Everyone has days where we don't feel ourselves friend, if you want to take a nap or something, well, there's never a bad time for a nap. But if you think you've wronged the thread or something like that, I don't think that's true and I don't think there's any reason for you to feel obligated to duck out. Especially having voiced the context :)

Yeah, thanks much, it's good to hear. I'm sorry to see this thread is so far beyond my skill set and knowledge because I don't want to just be a part of "maker culture" but there are no active relevant threads at SA. The DIY instrument thread is deader than a doornail. I'll probably come begging for help again sometime soon.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
Quick question that I'm having a hard time searching: I have a system that's charging LiFePO4 batteries with 54V @ 25A using spring contacts. If contact is broken unexpectedly, my intuition is that intermittent or poor contact during the transition (i.e. bouncing or nontrivial impedance) is bad news that could cause arcing or otherwise deteriorate the system. Nothing catastrophic, but possibly lifetime shortening.

Am I being overly paranoid? Do I need to find a way to add intelligence or a safety interlock to break the contact more gracefully upstream?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

KnifeWrench posted:

Quick question that I'm having a hard time searching: I have a system that's charging LiFePO4 batteries with 54V @ 25A using spring contacts. If contact is broken unexpectedly, my intuition is that intermittent or poor contact during the transition (i.e. bouncing or nontrivial impedance) is bad news that could cause arcing or otherwise deteriorate the system. Nothing catastrophic, but possibly lifetime shortening.

Am I being overly paranoid? Do I need to find a way to add intelligence or a safety interlock to break the contact more gracefully upstream?

That'll definitely strike a nasty arc if it disconnects suddenly, you've basically got a small-mid-size DC arc welder going there. Battery contacts aren't really rated to break that kind of current afaik, so if you think it's a real possibility that someone would yank the battery out some kinda interlock is probably a good idea, yeah. Maybe just a door with a microswitch?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

petit choux posted:

Yeah, thanks much, it's good to hear. I'm sorry to see this thread is so far beyond my skill set and knowledge because I don't want to just be a part of "maker culture" but there are no active relevant threads at SA. The DIY instrument thread is deader than a doornail. I'll probably come begging for help again sometime soon.

I didn't even know there was a DIY instrument thread. Could you link please, I like instruments.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Shame Boy posted:

That'll definitely strike a nasty arc if it disconnects suddenly, you've basically got a small-mid-size DC arc welder going there. Battery contacts aren't really rated to break that kind of current afaik, so if you think it's a real possibility that someone would yank the battery out some kinda interlock is probably a good idea, yeah. Maybe just a door with a microswitch?

It's not connecting directly to battery terminals, but rather charging plates for a robot dock. But point taken; my instincts aren't miscalibrated and I should continue heeding them -- I'm not wasting time over-engineering.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

KnifeWrench posted:

Yeah for a battery pack like that, standard design practice would be to include a fuse + accumulator isolation relay (AIR) that cuts power through the spring contacts before any motion could potentially break the connection. You don't want to be accidentally breaking and making that sort of contact under those loads. Hopefully there is a pretty strong lever arm clamping the pack to the charger?

e; AIR is just a use case term, not a type of relay. Its just a large relay used to interrupt flow to and from any major power accumulator such as a battery or capacitor.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

petit choux posted:

If you're feeling inadequate that's a good sign that you're learning something. I don't think there's any way around it if you're trying to make something new and cool. You gotta own it. Nobody can stop you from posting. Watch this

Power is directly proportional to current. Pi is exactly 3. :smug:

e. vvv uh ok, yeah. I should add that maybe starting with a power circuit project isn't the best idea. You can't bungle your way through safety precautions. Other than that go hog wild

ee. OH YEAH I FORgot about LASERS. Maybe lasers is a bad idea. Or... maybe lasers is a good idea? :shrug:

Cory Parsnipson fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 18, 2021

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
It's the amperage that kills you, not the voltage

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

KnifeWrench posted:

It's not connecting directly to battery terminals, but rather charging plates for a robot dock. But point taken; my instincts aren't miscalibrated and I should continue heeding them -- I'm not wasting time over-engineering.

I was more thinking about the springs, which are going to turn into whimsical spiral welding rods at the first opportunity, but yeah you're on the right track :v:

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I’m so new I just want to kits and projects to get soldering practice. I understand what the components are and what they do, but the math is beyond me for now. I just like putting poo poo together.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ante posted:

It's the amperage that kills you, not the voltage

i hate this statement!! you cannot have current without voltage!!

go grab the terminals of a 12v car battery, capable of sourcing hundreds of amperes, and see what happens!!

i also hate the malformed and improper term "amperage"!!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Can you also explain how current actually goes the other way?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Current is the flow of electrons and electrons have a negative charge, so they come out of the negative part of the battery.

:geno:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

e: nevermind misread something

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

I posted about this in the physics thread a while ago but I love this bit:

Wikipedia article on Anode posted:

The word was coined in 1834 from the Greek ἄνοδος (anodos), 'ascent', by William Whewell, who had been consulted[3] by Michael Faraday over some new names needed to complete a paper on the recently discovered process of electrolysis. In that paper Faraday explained that when an electrolytic cell is oriented so that electric current traverses the "decomposing body" (electrolyte) in a direction "from East to West, or, which will strengthen this help to the memory, that in which the sun appears to move", the anode is where the current enters the electrolyte, on the East side: "ano upwards, odos a way; the way which the sun rises".[4][5]

The use of 'East' to mean the 'in' direction (actually 'in' → 'East' → 'sunrise' → 'up') may appear contrived. Previously, as related in the first reference cited above, Faraday had used the more straightforward term "eisode" (the doorway where the current enters). His motivation for changing it to something meaning 'the East electrode' (other candidates had been "eastode", "oriode" and "anatolode") was to make it immune to a possible later change in the direction convention for current, whose exact nature was not known at the time. The reference he used to this effect was the Earth's magnetic field direction, which at that time was believed to be invariant. He fundamentally defined his arbitrary orientation for the cell as being that in which the internal current would run parallel to and in the same direction as a hypothetical magnetizing current loop around the local line of latitude which would induce a magnetic dipole field oriented like the Earth's. This made the internal current East to West as previously mentioned, but in the event of a later convention change it would have become West to East, so that the East electrode would not have been the 'way in' any more. Therefore, "eisode" would have become inappropriate, whereas "anode" meaning 'East electrode' would have remained correct with respect to the unchanged direction of the actual phenomenon underlying the current, then unknown but, he thought, unambiguously defined by the magnetic reference. In retrospect the name change was unfortunate, not only because the Greek roots alone do not reveal the anode's function any more, but more importantly because as we now know, the Earth's magnetic field direction on which the "anode" term is based is subject to reversals whereas the current direction convention on which the "eisode" term was based has no reason to change in the future.

Even long before the electron was discovered, Faraday was trying to get out ahead of the possibility that conventional current was different from an actual matter "flow" by defining it in relationship to the earth's magnetic field. Also I like "Eastode" and "Westode" for how far a goddamn walk they are.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

i also hate the malformed and improper term "amperage"!!

I never use "amperage" and don't know anybody who does (e: well, "know" in the very narrow sense of "work closely with") but it's amusing nobody seems to feel that way about the more-or-less universal use of the word "voltage" instead of "potential" outside of elementary physics texts. Like I've never heard anybody talk about a "potential source" or "potential divider".

Stack Machine fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 19, 2021

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Cojawfee posted:

The direction of the current is the movement of the positive charge carriers.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
Electricity always flows in the path of least resistance.

Example: If you have three parallel resistors of different value 100% of the current will flow through the resistor with the lowest value.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Stack Machine posted:

I never use "amperage" and don't know anybody who does (e: well, "know" in the very narrow sense of "work closely with") but it's amusing nobody seems to feel that way about the more-or-less universal use of the word "voltage" instead of "potential" outside of elementary physics texts. Like I've never heard anybody talk about a "potential source" or "potential divider".

Probably because of the other meanings of the word "potential" causing confusion.

And yes, this exact thing happens with "current" as well, leading me to develop a persnickety habit of referring to contemporary components as the "present" supply/sensor/connector/etc. to avoid ambiguity.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Electrical energy flows through conductors

In something like a coax cable at RF, all the energy is carried by fields in the dielectric, not the copper

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

PDP-1 posted:

Electricity always flows in the path of least resistance.

Then why doesn’t electricity answer my 1am “you up?” texts?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Stack Machine posted:

I've heard "potential divider" a bunch, not potential source though.

Also "tension", which confused the hell out of me for a while cuz like, why would I need to know about the mechanical strain on the wire instead of how much electricity is in it???

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

I've heard "potential divider" a bunch, not potential source though.

Also "tension", which confused the hell out of me for a while cuz like, why would I need to know about the mechanical strain on the wire instead of how much electricity is in it???

If you see a potential source you are probably discussing EM field theory or numerical methods.
Tension is something I have only seen in mistranslations from German.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
I've heard it referring to power transmission lines, electric fences, and old car ignition parts.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Pro tip:

If your PCB has an unstable power rail, you can just add a few more condensers here and there

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

ante posted:

Pro tip:

If your PCB has an unstable power rail, you can just add a few more condensers here and there

It's funny how using old timey terms can make you sound like an extra on a SyFy original.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

ante posted:

Pro tip:

wtf is a PCB :confused:

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Forseti posted:

It's what kids these days call a PWB

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Forseti posted:

Polychlorinated biphenyl, a persistent environmental pollutant and carcinogen

e: Wikipedia also says it's one of the Touhou games, I wanna change my answer to that

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

Foxfire_ posted:

Electrical energy flows through conductors

In something like a coax cable at RF, all the energy is carried by fields in the dielectric, not the copper

It’s the same for DC and power frequencies, there’s never (much) energy in conductors. Or magnetic circuits for that matter.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Forseti posted:

Printed Circuit Board.

Everybody seems to forget the title of the thread is “Learning Electronics”.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Marsupial Ape posted:

Printed Circuit Board.

Everybody seems to forget the title of the thread is “Learning Electronics”.

Just making a bad joke because widespread use of PCBs is a good bit more recent than the terminology shift from condenser to capacitor (I think). :)

Although I have this nagging feeling I'm getting wooshed here...

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Marsupial Ape posted:

I’m so new I just want to kits and projects to get soldering practice. I understand what the components are and what they do, but the math is beyond me for now. I just like putting poo poo together.

I have a couple kits. Maybe I can fine one or two I can spare if you like.

The question I came here with is: hey guys I just scavenged a streetlamp. I think it's mercury vapor, something like it. Is there anything of use inside it? Probably a giant cap, right? Maybe a huge transformer? (I'll open 'er up tomorrow)

But also, I'm going to crosspost from the diy instruments thread, seeking any additional advice (which should also answer questions of where it is):

petit choux posted:

I found this cool gadget at the thrift, it's apparently a game:

And it looks pretty simple on the inside.

So the long boards are mostly for the lights, the pad sensors appear to be coming directly into the IC in that thin ribbon on the far right.

So can I make it a 12 button input pad pretty easily?

petit choux fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 20, 2021

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

petit choux posted:

I have a couple kits. Maybe I can fine one or two I can spare if you like.

The question I came here with is: hey guys I just scavenged a streetlamp. I think it's mercury vapor, something like it. Is there anything of use inside it? Probably a giant cap, right? Maybe a huge transformer? (I'll open 'er up tomorrow)

But also, I'm going to crosspost from the diy instruments thread, seeking any additional advice (which should also answer questions of where it is):

I have no idea, only conjecture, but I wouldn't think there'd be much of anything in the bulb assembly if that's the part you've got. I'd expect any expensive bits to be in the lamp post part itself to reduce maintenance costs. Definitely be interested in seeing what's inside if you open it though! If there's a transformer, it's probably disappointingly small and run at high frequencies to reduce material costs I bet (like what's inside of a CFL bulb).

I have an oddball question because I was just reading planar transmission lines, but what happens if you run an electrical circuit at higher than microwave frequencies? Has this just never been done? Infrared starts at 300GHz which is already way high, I'm guessing parasitic inductance/capacitance may make this impossible to date?

Or is, say, an incandescent light bulb already operating at visible light frequencies on some level, proven simply because we are able to see it?

:2bong:

Edit: Actually I guess the "on some level" bit is a bit too open because obviously it is if it's producing light at those frequencies. Guess I'm just curious if it's an electrical thing as opposed to "the atoms are just hot and wiggling around at those frequencies". Or maybe the distinction is pointless and the fundamental physical processes are the same, we just call them differently at such far apart spots on the spectrum

Forseti fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 20, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Forseti posted:

I have no idea, only conjecture, but I wouldn't think there'd be much of anything in the bulb assembly if that's the part you've got. I'd expect any expensive bits to be in the lamp post part itself to reduce maintenance costs. Definitely be interested in seeing what's inside if you open it though! If there's a transformer, it's probably disappointingly small and run at high frequencies to reduce material costs I bet (like what's inside of a CFL bulb).

I have an oddball question because I was just reading planar transmission lines, but what happens if you run an electrical circuit at higher than microwave frequencies? Has this just never been done? Infrared starts at 300GHz which is already way high, I'm guessing parasitic inductance/capacitance may make this impossible to date?

Or is, say, an incandescent light bulb already operating at visible light frequencies on some level, proven simply because we are able to see it?

:2bong:

I love oddball questions like this. And yeah, I have the lamp post part too. It's heavy as hell and I think it's a safe bet that it's a transformer making up most of that weight. But now I've spent half my day with Netgear's "customer support" who are apparently Russians telling me I have to install firewall software that they conveniently can install for me right now and I won't be able to use the router with out it. gently caress!! The official installer app sent me to them, too. Maybe I downloaded a hacked app.

Anyway, I'll probably just leave it in the truck for right now, now that half my day has been blown.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
I guess one issue you'd run into is that 300 GHz is a wavelength of about 1 mm so I guess when you start getting to these frequencies it's hard to keep the width of say a transmission line smaller than the wavelength to avoid reflections and such from happening in all directions or whatever

Edit: Although I guess you could end up with something more like a fiber optic cable if you could design something to take advantage of total internal reflection? Now I'm back to being suspicious that a fiber optic cable is what you'd end up with and we just don't use the same terminology when talking about it

Forseti fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 20, 2021

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I used to know some people who worked with THz devices. It was mostly upscaled optical gear and not downscaled microwave gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I got one of these nice-rear end enclosures:

https://chevalstore.com/product/sacn4-0d2w3-aluminum-enclosure-4u-175x279x432-mm/

Really cool looking and high quality, definitely check out Cheval if anyone needs a nice metal box to put stuff in.

Anyway, the box is built out of separate panels that are each powder coated all over. Their solution for grounding was to include a slip of paper saying that they can't predict what your grounding needs are so they didn't do anything at all and it's up to you to make the best decisions. What do I do to get it all grounded? I can't really solder to it, it's aluminum, so I'm guessing my options are down to just "drill a hole in each of the 6 sides, scrape off some of the paint and use ring terminals and star washers to connect 6 separate wires back to a central ground point" which seems kinda messy and a bit of a pain in the rear end. Anyone have a better idea?