Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Most of my experience with alibaba has lead me to believe that the party should have made apublic example out of Ma and that the whole thing is a scam because that entire site is worse than wothless and can't have any value, at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

kntfkr posted:

Most of my experience with alibaba has lead me to believe that the party should have made apublic example out of Ma and that the whole thing is a scam because that entire site is worse than wothless and can't have any value, at all.

the entire class of ali-grade goods (also filling up Amazon with "brands" like HURGHULGHADY) is the worst, but sometimes there are things you can only get on aliexpress at affordable prices for whatever reason, like a lot of specialized electronics tools where the only choice is the aliexpress one for $20-$300 (depending on what it is) or the well made one for thousands of dollars

e: like this is a legit good EPROM programmer, but aliexpress is so full of bad ones you have to know exactly what you're looking for: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/330...earchweb201603_

d0s fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 15, 2021

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Would it even be possible to win a lawsuit against a factory in China? I'd assume the legal environment would make that difficult. Or was the vendor based in the US?

The vendor I dealt with was US based with a "production facility" in China. I had initially contacted them because I thought their entire manufacturing operation was in the US as they were a DoD contractor and for some customers we needed to have a TAA supplier. When they told me the parts would be made in China I changed lanes because of the "more Chinese production" mandate we had been given.

The funniest thing about that whole time period was either when I gave them a scalable drawing and told them to give me the L=24 or whatever version of the part and they produced an EXACT 1:1 replica of the drawing instead or when they sent me a bunch of mock-up parts made out of nylon. Everything we made was metal, usually A36, so I had no idea what they were trying to prove with those pieces.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Actual thursday meeting "Ok, but is there anyway you can sell less?"

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Barudak posted:

Always don't be closing

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Barudak posted:

Maybe if I got a raise.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
I mean, normal companies expect people to sell more with less time, then reduce their pay.
Maybe in this bizarro world that OP has entered, a raise is possible?

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

nexus6 posted:

Does anyone know what Zscaler is and if it's gonna report that I spend time on dead gay comedy forums during work hours?

We resell this at my company, it’s a cloud based proxy that can be used for content filtering, blocking dodgy links or IPs, and while they’re probably not using it to spy on you, the option is there for them to get reports on what you do on the internet.

It can be used to provide an always-on VPN, but most of our clients just use the SSL VPN provided with their Sophos firewalls and just use Zscaler for security and monitoring.

Unless they’ve blocked this particular dead gay comedy forum you should be fine, the way the admin dashboard is laid out by default makes it more useful for identifying bandwidth hogs.

Bargearse fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 15, 2021

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

gently caress whoever posted opus #1, that has brought back horrible memories of sitting on the phone, inflating monitored call time in sales to hit a quota, or I wouldnt get my bonus that I'd already earnt by hitting a sales target

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The new thing in our meetings is people trying to dial in repeatedly but it goes directly to their voicemail which they can’t stop since they can’t figure out how to answer their soft phones.

7/10 not nearly as great as the Cisco music jamming the call

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Love to get in to the office at five to five and find that someone has booked me for fieldwork for tomorrow morning, rubbing out my late start to do so. Guess what, tomorrow I will be getting my flu jab anyway.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 10:39 on May 19, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I have tragically sold too much. Many stern faces. People entered our system under false pretenses just to buy more from me. I may be required to do nothing for three months until the numbers go down.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Barudak posted:

I have tragically sold too much. Many stern faces. People entered our system under false pretenses just to buy more from me. I may be required to do nothing for three months until the numbers go down.

Pump up the numbers instead

I mean, you’re comped for number go up right?

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

I resigned from my job a couple of weeks ago because of lack of advancement opportunities, poor salary, etc. Less than two weeks after that...the company announces that my department had been sold to a competitor. Half of the employees would stay, others would start working for the competitor. The people who are staying are livid, the ones who are going seem to be mostly pleased about it. No idea which group I would have been in, but I'm pretty happy with my decison.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Spent this morning calculating how long I could live if I just quit my job. When the gently caress is UBI coming

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Spent this morning calculating how long I could live if I just quit my job. When the gently caress is UBI coming

One of my buddies, who makes way more than me as an engineer or something, spent a few months making a giant LED clock that counts down to his retirement. We’re both 30.

Sometimes I think about my choice to pursue a career in a low paying field, but I’ve never once conceived the need to have a 5 foot glowing red countdown to retirement.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I acknowledge Agile works for some companies, but it has been a confused mess of buzzwords repeated by my MegaCorp's middle management as I nod and keep doing my job as I always have. My position was affirmed as an email signature from one of our Agile Coaches included "inspirational quotes" from our own internal managers. We have 11 Agile Coaches...

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 19, 2021

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Your mate might be the most miserable person on the planet.

That's cool and all, but imagine seeing a number greater than then your adult life staring back at you

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Outrail posted:

Your mate might be the most miserable person on the planet.

That's cool and all, but imagine seeing a number greater than then your adult life staring back at you

But enough about student debt

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

New hire has been here for a few days and already asked the burning question of "why do we waste half an hour on meetings every morning if we just say the same things every day". We'd all like to know, ma'am.

Also finally got a lead on our hell software... complete with now knowing it's ported FORTRAN software. C o o l.

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

SkyeAuroline posted:

New hire has been here for a few days and already asked the burning question of "why do we waste half an hour on meetings every morning if we just say the same things every day". We'd all like to know, ma'am.

Also finally got a lead on our hell software... complete with now knowing it's ported FORTRAN software. C o o l.

I'm always a little sad when someone fresh comes in and asks questions like that. They actually think the feedback will be listened to and that they can make change. They learn soon enough.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

SkyeAuroline posted:

https://twitter.com/cgosimon/status/909656678110343168

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I'm always terrified to ask if he gets the meeting setups he uses from scrum or whatever in case it gets him to look them up and implement even more management BS.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

SkyeAuroline posted:

I'm always terrified to ask if he gets the meeting setups he uses from scrum or whatever in case it gets him to look them up and implement even more management BS.

IMO the chief failing of Agile is that it's good ideas presented with language that can easily be implemented to the letter by sociopaths and control-freaks without actually engaging with the spirit.

Most of the rest of the failings is managers weaponizing metrics or not understanding Goodhart's law

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I acknowledge Agile works for some companies,

???

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

MrQueasy posted:

IMO the chief failing of Agile is that it's good ideas presented with language that can easily be implemented to the letter by sociopaths and control-freaks without actually engaging with the spirit.

Most of the rest of the failings is managers weaponizing metrics or not understanding Goodhart's law
This basically describes all modern business.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

It's certainly possible, but it usually happens much more organically at smaller companies who have unconsciously realized the importance of "people over processes" because they're too small for processes.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Volmarias posted:

It's certainly possible, but it usually happens much more organically at smaller companies who have unconsciously realized the importance of "people over processes" because they're too small for processes.

My team's Agile Coach looked at our workflow, turned a process that took 3 steps into 30 steps (you know, for the accountability), clogged our to-list with Stories and Epics that are impossible to resolve, then wandered off and I haven't heard from them in months.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Volmarias posted:

ah ok that is probably true. it definitely works better when its a small team with high autonomy over how they work.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I just had my managers on my team meeting for the first time in a while, and now they're all mad that my team performs so well and I don't hold their hands.

Tough titties, just loving let the employees work. I'll keep going to your stupid meetings and adding to the backlog though.

Idgaf what the official leadership operating model is.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

thathonkey posted:

ah ok that is probably true. it definitely works better when its a small team with high autonomy over how they work.

Want the kicker, at least for us? We've got one person per position, no redundancy. It's as small team as it gets.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
"Hey how is {project} going? Deadline is tomorrow remember."

"We are almost there, just want need to run a few more tests. Could be a late one for me, I'll keep you in the loop."

He said, after finishing it two days ago and is currently weeding the garden, and has fully verified {project} is going to work and just needs to push a single button to go live.

The garden is nice. It has dirt and plants and I can make useful things grow. There are birds and fresh air.

I somehow managed to gently caress up the basil but at least I don't have to hear your stupid voice.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Hyrax Attack! posted:

My team's Agile Coach looked at our workflow, turned a process that took 3 steps into 30 steps (you know, for the accountability), clogged our to-list with Stories and Epics that are impossible to resolve, then wandered off and I haven't heard from them in months.

Just remember to value people over processes, and use the parts of agile that work, as mandated by agile, and tell this guy to :fuckoff:

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I'm in my classroom. All of our students are back. I used to have them sit four to a table. Nine tables in the classroom. A little crowded, but manageable. Now they must sit two to a table, so I have eighteen tables. I cannot walk around the classroom, because there simply is no space when the kids are sitting at the tables.

Also, the final unit of the year (As always) is Positive Prevention Plus, our Comprehensive Sexual Health Education Program. It's not too terrible, but someone modified all the lessons for remote learning, and we are back in the classroom. Add to this the fact that all of the assignments are now on Google Forms, but our students will be turning in their chromebooks tomorrow, and you get a recipe for some trouble for the last two weeks of school...

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Had a situation yesterday that was oh so fun.

New hire is onsite, wants to pick up a Thing. Onsite Help Desk isn't allowing walk ups at this time, only by appointment. I had setup Thing and is it ready for pickup.

I ask Onsite team, "Hey can one of you grab Thing and have it ready for pickup?"

Jerk: "Did they have an appointment?"
Me: "Not yet, I'm verifying if someone is available."
Jerk: "Management said appointments must be made. Blah blah blah." Basically reciting back to me obvious poo poo I know in a holier than thou attitude.
Me: "I'm trying to setup an appointment, it's literally a hand off of Thing, that's all you need to do."
Jerk: "Onsite doesn't have the time today."

This is 1:30pm in the afternoon, not 4:30pm or something like that.

I talked to management and told them that I'm done dealing with this Onsite team until they are corrected. I have a lot of items that require physical action and they are hindering me.

End result: Jerk got reprimanded and Thing got to the user.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

The Butcher posted:

"We are almost there, just want need to run a few more tests. Could be a late one for me, I'll keep you in the loop."

He said, after finishing it two days ago and is currently weeding the garden, and has fully verified {project} is going to work and just needs to push a single button to go live.

The garden is nice. It has dirt and plants and I can make useful things grow. There are birds and fresh air.

I somehow managed to gently caress up the basil but at least I don't have to hear your stupid voice.

it's like a beautiful dream

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

The Butcher posted:

Sounds like you need an extension

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I acknowledge Agile works for some companies, but it has been a confused mess of buzzwords repeated by my MegaCorp's middle management as I nod and keep doing my job as I always have. My position was affirmed as an email signature from one of our Agile Coaches included "inspirational quotes" from our own internal managers. We have 11 Agile Coaches...

I'm currently mid hour three of a four hour Agile introduction meeting, with a second one tomorrow. Problem being software is a third of what our organization does and they haven't been able to break away from software related things and explain how a group that runs like a microcosm of the entire company with a skeleton crew. I'm fairly sure we're going to be told that every one of our programs will become a story and our entire department is going to be one huge scrum team. Nothing will change.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I think my work place follows Agile, I don't know tbh, I just put things together. But the engineers are talking about sprints and have an hour long meeting every week. It's a small place, so it might actually work for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Agile works 100% of the time, 10% of the time. That's how you know it's good.