Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Soonmot posted:

Has anyone run a play by post over discord? My normal group has been using facebook but every day zucc makes things more and more inconvenient. Enough of them are afraid of the forums old reputation to get accounts here, plus not having an automatic notification of a new post means they need to actively check a thread. So i'm trying discord and looking for tips on how to organize posts and make things readable.
I play on discord (although we all show up at a given time and play like normal) and my suggestion would be to have channels for at least the following:
  • In Character (the actual game RP)
  • Out of Character (game-related chat and rolling)
  • Resources (stuff like maps, character sheet links, notes, NPCs, etc.)
  • General Chatting (stuff unrelated to game, even if you have FB and a group text chat you will need this)
Some people like to have a channel just for rolls, and/or have extra IC channels for when the party splits up or whatever, but you can make things like that as you need them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Soonmot posted:

Has anyone run a play by post over discord? My normal group has been using facebook but every day zucc makes things more and more inconvenient. Enough of them are afraid of the forums old reputation to get accounts here, plus not having an automatic notification of a new post means they need to actively check a thread. So i'm trying discord and looking for tips on how to organize posts and make things readable.

I’ve done it on Skype (and IRC) way back in the day. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work on discord. Posts will probably end up as paragraphs and not many paragraphs, but it does work fine.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
There's a number of discord dice bots and you should use one. Definitely recommend splitting the dice into its own channel and restrict permissions on the bot.

Discord lets you scale complexity as your group needs. Anything from one channel up to an entire city divided up into chat rooms. Even with a small group its neat to have separate channels for different city locations. You can sticky the modifiers or description at the top of the channel for each, you can organize them by neighborhood or controlling faction, and have different things happening around the city if the group is split up.

There's some really big WoD discord servers out there that really give discord a workout. Stuff like this, a small portion of the setup for a prague V5 game:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for all this, pals. Seems like I'm circling back to the 1990s playing vtm in rhydin by night on aol

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Dawgstar posted:

As I can determine they're just that slot's power - Vicissitude is Protean 2's slot - but you also need Dominate 2 to be able to take it.

This is correct.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Yep! And it's one of the things that makes the whole character creation/predator type and EXP system just that little bit more annoying to deal with.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Not gonna lie this all makes V5 sound even more terrible and half-assed.

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

ritorix posted:

There's a number of discord dice bots and you should use one. Definitely recommend splitting the dice into its own channel and restrict permissions on the bot.

Discord lets you scale complexity as your group needs. Anything from one channel up to an entire city divided up into chat rooms. Even with a small group its neat to have separate channels for different city locations. You can sticky the modifiers or description at the top of the channel for each, you can organize them by neighborhood or controlling faction, and have different things happening around the city if the group is split up.

There's some really big WoD discord servers out there that really give discord a workout. Stuff like this, a small portion of the setup for a prague V5 game:

This is very cool

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/VonAether/status/1396088454425976835

Aw. Good times.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

No ring.

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Not gonna lie this all makes V5 sound even more terrible and half-assed.

I ran a few sessions and liked it. I like Hunger as a replacement to blood points. The XP difference from optimizing chargen is a mechanical failure, but it's not such a wide difference that characters felt like they were at different levels. If anything it highlights a different problem; XP per the RAW is too stingy for anything other than very regular very long term play. And that's addressed easily enough with house ruling. I wouldn't dumpster the whole edition over it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
If a new and original splat for world of darkness was made (not a revival, remake, or reinterpretation of a previous one), what kind of thing would you want to see?

I feel like at this point all of the general horror monster archetypes are accounted except for aliens and slashers (I know there are much more than that but those are the 2 that come to mind), but I feel like something interesting could be done with something insect-themed (like the film Mimic where giant bugs evolve that mimic humans and live underground) and it'd probably be hard to do properly but I'd like to see something where you're a representative of a moral. When I'd first heard about Beast before I heard of how awful it was, I thought it would be something like that where you'd be the incarnation of not necessarily a fairy tale but some kind of aesop or moral story and your existence is to continue to guard and protect the world by being given this singular moral you protect and draw power from. Someone had said that there was a type in changeling that did pretty much exactly that but I still think it's an idea that could stand well enough on its own as its own splat.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

There's not a stand alone book for slashers, but the Hunter The Vigil supplement does the job pretty well.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Tsilkani posted:

There's not a stand alone book for slashers, but the Hunter The Vigil supplement does the job pretty well.

Are they similar? I don't know anything about Hunter except "is a person who hunts other supernatural creatures"

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

FirstAidKite posted:

Are they similar? I don't know anything about Hunter except "is a person who hunts other supernatural creatures"
Slashers are people who get supernatural powers for being murderers, based primarily on their MO. Sometimes a Hunter ends up becoming a Slasher, since being a hunter usually involves killing and there's plenty of ways "I hunt (and kill) supernatural creatures that look human" can go sideways.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

If a new and original splat for world of darkness was made (not a revival, remake, or reinterpretation of a previous one), what kind of thing would you want to see?

I feel like at this point all of the general horror monster archetypes are accounted except for aliens and slashers (I know there are much more than that but those are the 2 that come to mind), but I feel like something interesting could be done with something insect-themed (like the film Mimic where giant bugs evolve that mimic humans and live underground) and it'd probably be hard to do properly but I'd like to see something where you're a representative of a moral. When I'd first heard about Beast before I heard of how awful it was, I thought it would be something like that where you'd be the incarnation of not necessarily a fairy tale but some kind of aesop or moral story and your existence is to continue to guard and protect the world by being given this singular moral you protect and draw power from. Someone had said that there was a type in changeling that did pretty much exactly that but I still think it's an idea that could stand well enough on its own as its own splat.

Aliens. We had some UFO lore stuff in the nWoD but not even a blue book about alien horror, let alone a full splat.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Deviant kind of covers any idea I try to come up with that isn't already in another book.

I suppose some kind of bound being like a Djynn? Though Blood bound vampires sort of deal with that, but A whole splat where you are stuck having to deal with some mortal who has you on the leash.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Skeleton the Rattling

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

FirstAidKite posted:

Skeleton the Rattling
an entire splat based solely on this tweet
https://twitter.com/dril/status/361282749086175234

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

FirstAidKite posted:

Skeleton the Rattling

Fuel stat is bones. Actual number of bones. The human body has around 200. Don't spend too many.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The six clans of Skeletons:

Dooty/Musical
Spooky/Scary
Red
Closet
Dapper/Well-Dressed
Harryhausen

Internet

I Am Just a Box posted:

Fuel stat is bones. Actual number of bones. The human body has around 200. Don't spend too many.

Ah, "Skeletism"

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 24, 2021

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Twibbit posted:

I suppose some kind of bound being like a Djynn? Though Blood bound vampires sort of deal with that, but A whole splat where you are stuck having to deal with some mortal who has you on the leash.
This would be neat, but I'm not honestly sure how to differentiate it from Changeling and Demon. Striking bargains with mortals is basically all djinn do.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

FirstAidKite posted:

I've still got my mermaid / Innsmouth / Black Lagoon fansplat thing on the back burner. One of these days. :v:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Are yetis and the like covered by any of the books? I'd assume if any touched on them that it'd be Werewolf but I'm not big on what is and isn't in the Werewolf books.

I guess Cryptids would work too as a potential thing but Cryptids tend to be so varied that you can probably toss any of the well known ones into one of the other splats and they'd fit in fine.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I had an idea that Slasher would maps great to over-the-top action movie heros if you reskin them into Rambos and Machetes. But that's never actually made it to the table.

We never really got a Cryptid splat. Most cryptids don't have a lot of interaction with groups, but Black Eyed Kids could be fun. A lot of others can be explained as misidentification of existing monsters.

We also didn't get Invisible Man, Black Lagoon Creature, or Phantom of the Opera books.

Phantom and Invisible man could combine into a "monster" representing obsessive criminal geniuses, and the creature could be a primal thing. What Beast was pitched as. They can also get Swamp Things.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Wanna play a Moleman game. Play as a race living deep under the sewers. They've faded so far from popular culture that when your characters burst out onto the scene no one even knows the trope you represent anymore and they keep confusing you for vampires or mutated werewolves or something.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

moths posted:

I had an idea that Slasher would maps great to over-the-top action movie heros if you reskin them into Rambos and Machetes. But that's never actually made it to the table.
RPPR did a great one-shot of the Slasher Flick ttrpg where the party was off-brand Die Hard mooks and the slasher was John McClane, so I think the idea has merit.

As for the rest, Invisible Man at the very least can be a Deviant starting character easily enough (self-inflicted, permanent camouflage is doable straight out of chargen). Lots of other cryptids can be built with their rules if you just say the origin for each of them is a Genotypal Deviant (born that way), and the conspiracies hunting them can pretty quickly and easily be something like "what if more sinister X-Files" or just straight up, Cheiron Group from Hunter.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

FlocksOfMice posted:

Wanna play a Moleman game. Play as a race living deep under the sewers. They've faded so far from popular culture that when your characters burst out onto the scene no one even knows the trope you represent anymore and they keep confusing you for vampires or mutated werewolves or something.

Even better if the trope is a really uncomfortable and dated one and the Molemen don't even mean to be.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think one issue these guys have is that Mage and Sorcerer encompass a bunch of ideas with fairly modest adjustments, so that eats up a ton of design space. I remember a fan splat for Scanners that seemed pretty decent.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

moths posted:

We also didn't get Invisible Man, Black Lagoon Creature, or Phantom of the Opera books.

Deviant: The Renegades is 100% the Invisible Man book, as well as the Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde book. Probably fits Phantom of the Opera alright too. Like not just as "Deviant's pretty versatile you can do a lot with this," but "core inspiration this is the niche Deviant is there to fill" territory.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I completely forgot Deviant exists, yeah they pretty much have all the bases covered.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

FirstAidKite posted:

Are yetis and the like covered by any of the books? I'd assume if any touched on them that it'd be Werewolf but I'm not big on what is and isn't in the Werewolf books.

I guess Cryptids would work too as a potential thing but Cryptids tend to be so varied that you can probably toss any of the well known ones into one of the other splats and they'd fit in fine.
Cryptids would be cool, but they cleave a little close to Fae and run the risk of stepping on Changeling's toes, especially since it's canon that passing glimpses of the True Fae inspired Old World mythology (or the True Fae borrowed Old World mythology wholesale because storytelling is their whole thing, it could go either way honestly).

More importantly, I'm not sure what the core gameplay loop would be? Cryptids' whole deal is wanting to be left alone, which means it could either be a road game like Promethean where you're constantly jumping from location to location after being made, or an anti-colonialism metaphor where you're a primal and chaotic spirit of the land fighting back against an ever-encroaching force of categorization and control

Froghammer fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 24, 2021

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Wasn't one of the Black Dog spoof games one where you are a Sasquatch?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Froghammer posted:

More importantly, I'm not sure what the core gameplay loop would be? Cryptids' whole deal is wanting to be left alone

Also consider that modern society has numerous groups who publicly believe in the existence of cryptids so the core loop very well could be trying to protect your turf, yourself, your family/friends/social circle, while dealing with being hunted to the brink of extinction to the point that you've had to get extremely good at not being seen. With just how public everything is, it's a whole different ballpark compared to the vampires hiding in the night, werewolves having their human forms, demons having to switch covers, and prometheans using their azoth to at least cover up a little. Something like a sasquatch, a mothman, or a hidebehind wouldn't necessarily have those same societal protections just because of how much society legitimately believes in their existence and actively searches for them.

I Am Just a Box posted:

Deviant: The Renegades is 100% the Invisible Man book, as well as the Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde book. Probably fits Phantom of the Opera alright too. Like not just as "Deviant's pretty versatile you can do a lot with this," but "core inspiration this is the niche Deviant is there to fill" territory.

And, of course, Phantom of the Paradise.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 24, 2021

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

What about Alien game about crash landing on Earth?

The goal is to return home without being capture by the government.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Play as the alien lizardmen impersonating people of power. Balance the need to be a public figure with an exciting life, controlling the world, and ACTUALLY controlling the world as a lizardman. Bonus points, you don't automatically know what other political figures are lizard people, and end up having to read conspiracy websites and trawl them for clues if Senator X really DID blink sideways or if that was just a photoshop.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Ither posted:

What about Alien game about crash landing on Earth?

The goal is to return home without being capture by the government.

Oh you mean Demon. Yeah, it’s cool

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

I Am Just a Box posted:

The little kid inside me saw the Chimeric clade and wants to play a Mutate from Gargoyles.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

My personal favorite thing to do with Deviant characters is, because of how their power levels are outlined so crisply, start from the basic lowest-possible-dots level then thinking about what their end-state, "should probably get snagged by an SCP-type organization, honestly, for the safety of the world at large" power suite looks like, and just vibing at how that would come together along the way. Like the guy who starts out hard to see, and ends with a contagious permanent invisibility/silence/uncontrollable phasing touch that self-propagates and would end in a world where everyone can't see or hear each other and isn't necessarily occupying the same plane at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What about splat about controlling a hive mind creature like in the movies The Thing, or The Blob, or Slither?