Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
I am absolutely devastated, What a huge huge shame. The world is poorer for being a world without Miura.

RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/localhyurzen/status/1395249433076449286

every final fantasy xiv server is nothing but people doing this, lol.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Goddamn. :smith:

I stopped keeping up with Berserk just as they got off the boat and always assumed that I'd just be able to catch up one day. Not like this, though.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

:smith:

Heartbreaking.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Awful news. This is the devil's own day.

Tingfinder
Oct 21, 2013
Really sad about this, honestly one of the greatest artists of our time. RIP

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

fuckin hell

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Rest in peace, Miura. It's such a shame your great work will be left unfinished. I'll always cherish it.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Man I understand not wanting someone else to draw it but gently caress some of that noise, I want to see a summary of how this poo poo was supposed to end lmao

I put too much time into this poo poo you wonderful dead bastard, just give me the bullet points

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

but like jesus christ i know we all joked about him dying before finishing it but i expected it to take like another 20 years :negative:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Devastating. RIP Miura.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The goat, no one can match his level of craft, the amount of love and detail he put in every panel.

RIP Miura, you won't be forgotten.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
In a way this is a relief, because I've always felt I was doing his work a (to my credit, mild) disservice with my scanlations; I mostly kept going because the others who tried tended to do a catastrophically bad job of it. I've been mulling over whether to retire for the past five years if not more, and now the decision has been made for me.

gently caress me if this isn't hard to deal with though. Crying at my desk is not how I expected to spend my day

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Good soup! posted:

Man I understand not wanting someone else to draw it but gently caress some of that noise, I want to see a summary of how this poo poo was supposed to end lmao

I put too much time into this poo poo you wonderful dead bastard, just give me the bullet points

I'd like to hear an outline of how things were going to go too, but if we never get it, that's okay.
I'm sure his assistants are amazing, but no one could hold a candle to Miura.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
This just really loving sucks. 54 years old, too soon.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
One of the artists I've previously worked with on commissions.
https://twitter.com/yrfreakyneighbr/status/1395249458594476032

RIP Miura-sensei. :sadwave:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Gamers in FF XIV are holding a vigil by equipping the Berserk-inspired Dark Knight class.

https://twitter.com/ZTumet/status/1395309894027333634?s=19

Man, what a thing to wake up to. Like, I knew there was a chance that something like this would happen, but I never expected it to be this soon...

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
This sucks. RIP you crazy shading diamond.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

This sucks, man.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
A day later and I'm still torn up about this. Beserk was one of the only anime/manga I'd call a legitimately great piece of fantasy lit, and of course the art was peerless on top of it.

I don't think I've felt as bad about as semi-celebrity's death since Ian Banks'. :smith:

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Man, I haven't been this bummed about the death of an anime/manga creator since Satoshi Kon.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Aww man. I knew something was up when I saw this thread had over a hundred new posts, but I was really hoping it'd be some dumbass drama and not this. :smith: God drat this stupid unfair universe.

RIP Miura, you absolute legend. Berserk was the first manga I ever read and I will always treasure and cherish it as also being the best. With the Eclipse chapters, it was also the manga that I can honestly say put the fear of death in me. Even beyond the masterful art and the writing that really resonated with me, it felt like personally important journey to me. I doubt I'll ever be able to say that about another work of fiction.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
poo poo. It’s funny, the thought “wonder what happens to Berserk now” hasn’t even crossed my mind. It’s just blown me away that this comic that’s been getting drawn since I was born won’t be done, not cause I don’t get to see the end, but because Miura spent as much time as I’ve been born working on it, and probably growing alongside it himself when you look at the transition from the edgy early stuff to Guts’ speech at the end of the hundred man slaughter to Caska. And probably thought he’d be able to take Guts to the end of his quest to find himself.

gently caress man. Take care of yourselves y’all.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
It's always sad when a beloved creator passes away, but for me there's something about the raw human emotion at the core of Berserk's main themes that makes this one sting extra bad.

Love. Hate. Perseverance in the wake of unimaginable trauma and grief. Refusing to go gently into the night.

I'm not extremely familiar with the behind-the-scenes situation, but it seems like Miura spent many years struggling to find a healthy work-life balance, and only relatively recently started figuring out how to get to a better place with studio assistants and not burning out too hard. Then the poor guy's heart literally tears itself apart and he dies in the final stretch before finishing his life's work.

This is really awful, I don't know what else to say.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
It was one hell of a toboggan ride

I woke up to someone actually irl texting me the news. I’m still pretty numb.

I cope with bad, awkward humor, the following I will spoiler out for those here who do not:

Perhaps the real treasure was the demons we sliced in half on the way

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/makotoyukimura/status/1395339656305123328?s=20

The Planetes/Vinland Saga author.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
loving hell. It's always a punch to the gut when an artist or writer you liked dies, but Miura and Berserk have been with me for over 20 years. To hear that he's dead...

It just sucks. Farewell you crazy madman. I hope you're somewhere punching penis monsters in the face.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/kazamaraita/status/1395307779842220032

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Lost MF DOOM earlier this year (technically late last year but...) and now Miura and it hurts even more. With a musician there might be work left unreleased but the work out there is complete. With Miura, and any storyteller gone before their story has ended, the world is left with this explicit open-ended absence.

I would love to have seen Berserk finish, we all would have, but I understand the uncertainty of wanting to see notes or manuscripts as way of finishing this immense saga. On the one hand I'd love that little bit of closure but on the other... it wouldn't be Berserk.

An absolute giant of visual narrative who deserves to remembered for long after we're also gone. Went out and grabbed the first of the omnibus volumes just to make sure I had at least one.

Junopter
Aug 28, 2020
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

sigh. Godspeed, sir.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I had always said, and I did sincerely believe and never meant it as a joke, that there was no way he would complete Berserk before he died.
I hate being right.
And I never expected it to be something so sudden, or so young (also I thought he was older than he was. I had him pegged as early 60s). I had figured he'd just die of old age or cancer.

This loving sucks. The man was a legend and a talent that has been seldom rivaled and frankly, at least within the world of manga, never surpassed. He wrote a dark fantasy story about wild stuff that was still profoundly and deeply human. I'm devastated. I haven't thought about Berserk in a while, and honestly kind of lost interest in it when I resigned myself to the belief he'd never finish, but this still hurts way way way more than I expected.

I hope his family and friends are dealing well, and I hope his passing was swift and painless. I mourn the passing of an incredible artist and storyteller, but also think it's important we remember that Miura was more than just that, he was a human being.
This loving sucks.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If you were looking to buy the deluxe editions, the first couple of volumes are out of stock nearly everywhere likely due to the news, and Vol 1 in particular is like the third best selling book across all of Amazon right now.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Harlock posted:

If you were looking to buy the deluxe editions, the first couple of volumes are out of stock nearly everywhere likely due to the news, and Vol 1 in particular is like the third best selling book across all of Amazon right now.

It's possible with the recent success of Invincible that Amazon will see that and decide to greenlight a proper adaptation of Berserk. It could never have a conclusive finish, but it'd be nice to get a good adaptation of what is there and not just selected arcs.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

If it was successful though they wouldn't stop and we'd get an anime only ending of Berserk. While I'm sure a writers room could come up with something, I'd never be able to think of it as anything more than fan fiction.

But I think all the rape would put it out of Amazon's clutches. Americans are fine with sitting down to watch horrific violence with their family, but sexual stuff causes discomfort.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
gently caress. gently caress!!!

:smith:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
One of my favorite records from the past decade, Jomsviking by Amon Amarth, felt at times more like an "audio adaptation" of sorts for one Berserk's arcs than a concept album about a norse warrior having to go on the run to join the aforementioned legendary order of Viking Mercs. If you like your metal tasty and badass and want something to help you through these moments, there is hardly a record I could recommend more at this moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WsQEsfZNco

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I didn’t expect to be this sad. Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The manga industry is horrid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

This one hurts.