Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
was konishiki a good sumo wrestler? i thought i heard that he could have been yokozuna but sumo assosiation was just even more racist back then and refused to promote him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
if grabbing the hair did absolutely nothing to affect the outcome of the match it ceases to be a foul and transforms into an insignificant event in a violent fight. the ruling makes no sense from a competitive perspective, and while i'm sure there's a few hundred goons who would pay to watch rules being rigidly enforced at all times it's not the sport normal people pay to watch.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Khizan posted:

I think the big thing is that another few years of Asashoryu may have lowered his career numbers some. This also applies to Haramafuji, who has beaten Hakuho more times than any other rikishi.

hakuho had both of their numbers pretty explicitly by the time they retired. it would definitely have affected his numbers but nowhere near enough to affect his legacy. in fact it would probably have only strengthened his legacy to make the other yokozuna look like he was on another level to them.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

The recent Tochinoshin / Abi hansuoku was ridiculous, and if I recall correctly he executed the dirtiest henka ever in the next tournament to get his 8th win. I may be embellishing the exact circumstances but I do recall that that henka made me acknowledge that sometimes a henka is right, and just.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

You remember correctly. Tochinoshin pulled an incredibly blatant henka on Kakuryu, securing his rank, and also deciding the yusho for Asanoyama, when instead we would have headed into a contested weekend. He essentially ruined the last two days of the basho with a henka, and I laughed out loud when I saw it. It's one of the best henkas of all time.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

KungFu Grip posted:

was konishiki a good sumo wrestler? i thought i heard that he could have been yokozuna but sumo assosiation was just even more racist back then and refused to promote him

I'd heard they were worried about Yokozuna dignity cos he was such a (for want of a better word) fat dude. But looking at his record, he had a good run to his ozeki promotion, a bunch of indifferent years, then another good run after Chiyonofuji and Asahifuji retired, but before Akebono and Takanohana stepped up. His two yushos in this period were none consecutive, so looking back, it doesn't seem like it would have been worth a promotion, but the promotion criteria were different then.

If anyone hasn't seen it, someone on sumoforum crunched the numbers to figure out relative performance of wrestlers from different eras - if you search through my posting history, you'll find the link. Basically, wrestlers are getting better and competition stronger. And Hak definitely the GOAT and Hamfu and Kaks much stronger than their records indicate.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

the other thing about asanoyama's indiscretion that might count against him is that they were right in the middle of trying to frame foreign rikishi as violent animals who lead crowds in chants of 'banzai' and other such unacceptable practices. now, they'll still absolutely follow that line of idiocy, but they'll look stupider doing it which they're going to have to take out on asanoyama.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Kenning posted:

You remember correctly. Tochinoshin pulled an incredibly blatant henka on Kakuryu, securing his rank, and also deciding the yusho for Asanoyama, when instead we would have headed into a contested weekend. He essentially ruined the last two days of the basho with a henka, and I laughed out loud when I saw it. It's one of the best henkas of all time.

Oh man. This is the first I've heard about that, so I had to go back to watch it and my god is that a magnificent henka.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Either way he's weak, even Ryuden is tougher to convince to pull out.
Something something his alleged mistress. :haw:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Kenning posted:

Hot drat, shots fired. I like his classic build and migi-yotsu style, but I understand finding him less than scintillating. He's certainly no Terunofuji.

he is/was easily my favorite of the current crop of ozeki until terunofuji's promotion. struck me as the one guy who had a chance to really ramp it up to yokozuna level

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Khizan posted:

Oh man. This is the first I've heard about that, so I had to go back to watch it and my god is that a magnificent henka.

For anyone else (like me!) who hadn't seen it before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20sEuxaiLT4

Glorious. :discourse:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

whats for dinner posted:

hahaha the way he baited him into aggression by staring him down at the faceoff and refusing to put a fist down first was masterful. beautiful henka.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
top knot pulling has lead to people saying why the top knot pulling is disallowed as it would cause too much wild hair and instead its lead me to conclude sumo would be a billion times better without top knots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNvei5se0sQ

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lid posted:

top knot pulling has lead to people saying why the top knot pulling is disallowed as it would cause too much wild hair and instead its lead me to conclude sumo would be a billion times better without top knots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNvei5se0sQ

looks like 2 aging metalheads at a concert who decide to show the young people how to be excited to hear fast music properly

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

looks like 2 aging metalheads at a concert who decide to show the young people how to be excited to hear fast music properly

Wanna hear the yobidashi announce rikishi in a death metal scream now

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
T O K U S H O R Y U

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

man i'm happy to see tokushoryu pick up his kk. he won the first basho i ever watched and it was one of the most magical sporting narratives i've witnessed. will be happy to see him back in the top division.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

also probably reading too much into this but after kaisei thrust tamawashi off the dohyo i noticed kaisei deliberately waiting at the edge to offer his hand back up and i remembered that line from the racism missive about foreigners doing dirty little things like slapping and giving an extra shove off the dohyo to their opponents.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
c'mon Ichinojo...

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
gently caress asanoyama simply because he's the judges' favorite child. The judges deserve having their little messiah dumpstered into irrelevance for that terunofuji decision. I like to think it's divine karma. I see I am not the only one who has noticed the hypocrisy of the sumo association's attitudes towards foreigners.

Terunofuji is back on track at least, and against a typically difficult opponent too. He made it look easy today.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

My team was the definition of mediocrity BEFORE Asanoyama torpedoed it.

I was just barely above .500!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

congratulations to takayasu for his dominant performance to ensure his kk. people said he was insane when he called asanoyama on a blocked number and in a weird falsetto claimed that he was a hostess at his favourite hostess club and was very horny and needed a big, successful man to complain about how his sumo isn't up to standard.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

congratulations to takayasu for his dominant performance to ensure his kk. people said he was insane when he called asanoyama on a blocked number and in a weird falsetto claimed that he was a hostess at his favourite hostess club and was very horny and needed a big, successful man to complain about how his sumo isn't up to standard.

:laffo:

Tochinoshin pulling out the henka just as we were all talking about the one he pulled on Kakuryu was pretty funny

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Marching Powder posted:

lol

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Marching Powder posted:

also probably reading too much into this but after kaisei thrust tamawashi off the dohyo i noticed kaisei deliberately waiting at the edge to offer his hand back up and i remembered that line from the racism missive about foreigners doing dirty little things like slapping and giving an extra shove off the dohyo to their opponents.

Kaisei is probably the nicest rikishi out there and consistently waits to help up his opponent and avoid injuring them.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

whats for dinner posted:

NHK needs to bring the sky cam back. Is there any story behind it going away?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

They're dropping the hammer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S40daOf4qlk

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

What is that, 4 tournaments?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
:wow:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i consider this a slap on the wrist all considered but expected roughly this to be the result.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Kadoban Ozeki in July, Sekiwake in September, probably about M10 in November, and then somewhere in Juryo for January of next year.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Vargatron posted:

What is that, 4 tournaments?

It’ll take 3 after this to drop to division 2 if they don’t artificially place him somewhere on the banzuke after his suspension.

July: kadoban ozeki
September: Sekiwake
November: Low M. Abi didn’t get dropped directly to Juryo with a 3-4-8 at M5e as part of his punishment so 0-0-15 from Sekiwake should be similar if not a little higher
January: somewhere in Juryo. If they want to restart him in Juryo this should be where he comes back. Another missed tournament would drop him into Makushita

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

genuinely surprised they'd let him wave a tournament's worth of punishment as a kadoban ozeki instead of just stripping him of the position and just letting him freefall.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

What actually is the hairpull rule? From this thread I feel I've read both that it requires the hairpull to impact the result and that it doesn't matter if it impacts the result.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

genuinely surprised they'd let him wave a tournament's worth of punishment as a kadoban ozeki instead of just stripping him of the position and just letting him freefall.

It’s Sumo, I’m assuming there are Rules that they can’t mess around with without changing the whole system.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Sub Rosa posted:

What actually is the hairpull rule? From this thread I feel I've read both that it requires the hairpull to impact the result and that it doesn't matter if it impacts the result.
I've always understood it to be that if your hand is in your opponent's topknot and your fingers are bent in any way, that's a hairpull and a disqualification... if they choose to call you on it.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I think Tokushoryu is the cutest rikishi.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Marching Powder posted:

Vargatron posted:

Kaisei is probably the nicest rikishi out there and consistently waits to help up his opponent and avoid injuring them.

Yeah, Kaisei is renowned as a huge teddy bear sweetheart. If you pay attention he's always really careful to try and catch guys so they don't fall off the dohyo when he wins by yori-kiri, and he always waits to make sure they're okay after a fall before taking his place for the win. He's 34, so we don't have too many years with him in makuuchi left, and it'll be sad when he retires. Great wrestler, solid dude.

Marching Powder posted:

loving lol hahahah.

This is about what I was expecting. Bruce at Tachiai blog said he expected an intai announcement, but that seemed too much to me.

Alright, we're pulling into the final weekend, and there are some big shakeups in the arasoi, in part because of Asanoyama, and in part because we're finally starting to see the kachi- and make-koshi come in in a serious way.

Day 12 standings

code:
Arasoi	Score	Name

1)	43	sivad
2)	42	MalarkeyToboggan
3)	42	Marching Powder
4)	41	Fluffdaddy
5)	41	Helianthus Annuus
6)	41	Vargatron
7)	37.5	Banana Canada
8)	37.5	Pakled
9)	37	bessantj
10)	36.5	Beeswax
11)	36	GoatSeeGuy
12)	36	ratmosphere
13)	35.5	Thauros
13)	34.5	Maigius
15)	34	Lid
16)	33.5	Crusty Nutsack
17)	33.5	Sub Rosa
18)	33	Cage Kicker
19)	33	Chinook
20)	33	scripterror
21)	32.5	Charles Gnarwin
22)	32.5	Skjorte
23)	31.5	Kenning
24)	31.5	pseudodragon
25)	31.5	Tiny Bug Child
26)	31	bartolimu
27)	31	captainblastum
28)	31	whats for dinner
29)	30.5	Ice Phisherman
30)	30.5	Liquid Communism
31)	30.5	Neodoomium
32)	30	Everyones Favorite Poster
33)	30	Khizan
34)	29.5	Robviously
35)	28.5	Shiroc
36)	28	MyChemicalImbalance
37)	27.5	Brut
38)	27.5	Tochiazuma
39)	27	Teddybear
40)	24.5	QuasiQuack
41)	22	anakha
42)	20	Jobbo_Fett

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

ok i was right that it would be an abi style punishment, didn't think they'd force a retirement on him. shodai's looking safer which is good given circumstances. could see takayasu getting back to ozeki before asanoyama can climb back up given his recent performances