Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

E: wrong thread.

This is the worst snipe of my life.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
^^^^^^ Got you covered. ^^^^^^

x

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

this poo poo is only hitting me hard now when im about to sleep

goddamn

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Zarin posted:

I've been avoiding this thread because I am WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY behind.

I saw the news a couple days ago :(

It sounds like he died from neglecting his health? If someone has a link or something, I guess I'm interested in it because yeah, working too much, not sleeping enough, and stress-drinking through some of that are probably all things I should cut back on, at least a little bit :ohdear:

if anyone is catching up, i'm serious that stopping at volume 355 at this panel is a decent ending. i didn't read too far past, so maybe someone who's completely caught up can say if there's a better stopping point.

crepeface posted:

idk why you guys are so sad, the manga ended already with this panel:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/calebandrew/status/1395434622448594945

Incredibly fitting that the guy who wrote a story about how the struggle to find hope and happiness even after experiencing the worst pain imaginable responded to his industry exploiting him by doing what little he could to break the cycle: hiring his own staff full time and paying them a wage they could actually build a life off of. What a loving guy.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Sydin posted:

Incredibly fitting that the guy who wrote a story about how the struggle to find hope and happiness even after experiencing the worst pain imaginable responded to his industry exploiting him by doing what little he could to break the cycle: hiring his own staff full time and paying them a wage they could actually build a life off of. What a loving guy.

gently caress, that rules.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Actually too good for this world.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It had its flaws, but drat man, that guy really understood

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
And we are left in perpetual hiatus. After everything he did for us, Miura became Griffith after all.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Sydin posted:

That’s a really stand up thing for him to have done. I hope his assistants can continue to make it in the industry, perhaps by continuing that other manga they started while in Miura’s employ. I think Berserk should probably be put to rest but I wouldn’t mind more of that mythical stuff in his style that they seem to have a strong control of.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have no idea how I’d finish an unfinished work. I don’t think I could finish an unfinished work. I don’t think anybody can. It wouldn’t be the original work anymore.

If we do see any more content, what’s more likely to happen is that any new content will be based on, but distinct from, Berserk itself. Every author is different, with different thoughts and feelings and insights and things to say. That necessarily means any additions will be analyses, critiques, deconstructions, and reconstructions of the original works. It’ll basically be fanfiction.

We might see people offer their own versions of how the story wraps up, if there’s anything else even left. We might see people skip ahead in time and leave the rest as blanks to be filled in by the reader. Most likely, we’ll just see what we’re seeing right now and people will love on and make their own works while drawing inspiration from the series.

But Berserk is over, and there’s no denying it. What comes next will be like the branches of a great tree.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Monkey paw curls, Murata continues the manga and just redraws over and over and over the Griffith spreads.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Berserk ended with Guts succeeding in his mission to restore Casca's sanity and reach a place of relative safety and peace. Casca still has her own horrible traumas to work through, but just as Guts pushed through all his pain and suffering to once again find the ability to love and rely on others, Casca can too. In his last conversation with SK, Guts learned just how self-destructive the mindless pursuit of revenge can be, and finally cemented that his pursuit of Griffith wasn't worth it: something that the manga had been building to for a long time. The final culmination of Guts telling Zodd to piss off because he cared more about his comrades than "a pissing contest between monsters."

It's not a perfect ending. It certainly wasn't the planned ending. But somehow, someway, even in the face of tragedy circumstances contrived that Berserk's "ending" was, at least, ultimately satisfying of its own overarching themes.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The biggest strength in Berserk was that despite all the horrible stuff it depicted that some people might take issue with, it was thematically consistent, and that will make it endure. That also makes it easier for us to not see an ending because we don't need the ending to know what the message was.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!
I like the idea of Guts and Casca finding peace, on Elf Island or elsewhere, and Skull Knight being the one to finally take down Griffith and restore the world, since he already destroyed himself and he cannot be redeemed.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I have been a half sobbing wreck all day and I'm frustrated because I have almost no outlet. GF doesn't understand, she's only read a few pages, so I'm having to reach out to the corners of the weeb internet to feel better.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Pollyanna posted:

I have no idea how I’d finish an unfinished work. I don’t think I could finish an unfinished work. I don’t think anybody can. It wouldn’t be the original work anymore.

If we do see any more content, what’s more likely to happen is that any new content will be based on, but distinct from, Berserk itself. Every author is different, with different thoughts and feelings and insights and things to say. That necessarily means any additions will be analyses, critiques, deconstructions, and reconstructions of the original works. It’ll basically be fanfiction.

We might see people offer their own versions of how the story wraps up, if there’s anything else even left. We might see people skip ahead in time and leave the rest as blanks to be filled in by the reader. Most likely, we’ll just see what we’re seeing right now and people will love on and make their own works while drawing inspiration from the series.

But Berserk is over, and there’s no denying it. What comes next will be like the branches of a great tree.
There's an interesting question too of what exactly to do with the one chapter that Miura himself cut from the story. Like if you were going to create some kind of fanfiction in the future, do you consider that chapter as a part of the true "Berserk" or not? What even is "Berserk", really?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

poo poo, that discussion could go on forever.

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I have been a half sobbing wreck all day and I'm frustrated because I have almost no outlet. GF doesn't understand, she's only read a few pages, so I'm having to reach out to the corners of the weeb internet to feel better.

Man, same boat :( Nobody I know gets it. Where else have you found folks talking about it?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

jesus, i just heard. i loved his artwork so much, and thought that he'd spend the next 30 years churning out one beautiful chapter a year until he died of old age. this sucks man

my sister died from aortic dissection too. her dumbass doctor dismissed it as heartburn and she died 3 days later at only 18 years old. this poo poo takes people way too soon :smith:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

HOT BREAD! posted:

Man, same boat :( Nobody I know gets it. Where else have you found folks talking about it?

Mostly the dark dirty ADTRW offshoot that shall not be named.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Guts, to me, is an extremely important character. He's strong, he's cool, and especially early on he can be a bit edgy. But he's also so vulnerable, and caring. He cares too much, in fact. That's part of why he's so vulnerable, but it's also why he's able to eventually find a new family for himself and for Casca that eventually leads them to a healthier, happier life. Guts is probably my favorite male character ever created.

There's no doubt in my mind that Guts and Casca were eventually able to truly be together again. Those two weren't fated to be together...they defied fate to remain together.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly assuming he left thorough enough notes about his plans I'd have no issues with his assistants finishing up Berserk

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Reading the first chapter.

I already like Puck.

E: He said the thing! He said the name of the manga!

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 21, 2021

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Waffleman_ posted:

I already like Puck.

Honestly one could fill an entire library of emotes off of just Puck faces

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Jin Wicked posted:

I like the idea of Guts and Casca finding peace, on Elf Island or elsewhere, and Skull Knight being the one to finally take down Griffith and restore the world, since he already destroyed himself and he cannot be redeemed.

I don't see Skully being the one to end Griffith. He tried before and that it turned out was simply all part of the plan. I do see him and Zodd finally dying at the end of each other's blades. Two old warriors who lived far longer than they should have no people around them that theu could truly call friends, their humanity traded away long ago for power a far greater cost than they could have turly imagined at the time. It just fits too well for them to die any other way.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

I already like Puck.

Pretty sure that title drop was a Dark Horse addition, but enjoy.

I started rereading it yesterday and the difference between early berserk and recent berserk is so stark. I don't think I realized until yesterday that Berserk entered publication when Miura was just 23 years old, and it was a concept he was developing since he was a teenager. Early berserk felt edgy in the way you'd expect from someone in early adulthood, but you can still see many of the more emotional underlying themes he was going for. The edginess never leaves, but it's given a lot more depth and nuance as the story develops, which I think also reflects Miura's development as a writer. It's also fascinating to see his art style evolve and improve over time.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Ccs posted:

That’s a really stand up thing for him to have done. I hope his assistants can continue to make it in the industry, perhaps by continuing that other manga they started while in Miura’s employ. I think Berserk should probably be put to rest but I wouldn’t mind more of that mythical stuff in his style that they seem to have a strong control of.

The next two paragraphs in the article:

https://www.otaquest.com/kentaro-miura-interview-duranki-berserk/

quote:

But this also means that Studio Gaga assistants don’t have much time for any manga beyond Miura’s, which is often branded quite clearly with Miura’s own name with no mention of the assistants to be found; something which didn’t seem quite fair to Miura, who was once an aspiring creator himself, after all.

Launching Duranki as a new series clearly branded with the Studio Gaga name alongside his own (see below) provides, therefore, a way for Miura’s assistants to get properly credited for their work, and develop themselves as artists and creatives due to the fact that the majority of the work will fall to them.

Dude not only made sure they had their needs met, he actively worked to make sure they would get the chance to be independent.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't follow contemporary manga much, but you don't often hear much about "manga studios", do you? The image of the industry I've always is that everyone works in isolation, on a contractual basis, with publishing editors their only real contact. Creating a proper studio where you can bring everyone together and pay them fair, full-time wages seems like a big paradigm shift, if that's what Studio Gaga was. I hope that idea lives on.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Several other mangaka have studios of a sort as well, like Toriyama's Bird Studio and Araki's Lucky Land Communication.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Hopefully his studio people will still be set up well going forward. And hopefully they were having regular conversations about the story and characters that they could provide details about where he was thinking of taking the story.

I wonder how many chapters might still be in the can, one or two? 363 was January, probably completed in December, so he probably was working on 2-3 in various states of completion? 365 1/4 chapters done would have a certain poetic charm to it.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Doloen posted:

Rest in peace. One of the best works I've ever had the pleasure of reading. The Tower of Salvation arc will stick with me always. Not for the epic fight scenes, or for plot revelations, but for the that moment, when Guts is faced with the choice of losing himself to rage and revenge, to give in to his worst instincts, or to try and save the one person he truly cares about, the last link to both his old life and the first link in building a new life out of the ruin that fate itself had made of things. I'm probably not doing it justice but I loved that moment.

The Tower of Conviction arc is absolutely my favorite arc in the whole series. The culmination of everything when the tower crumbles and collapses into the shape of a hand and Guts stands there looking out at the fires in the camp below burning in the shape of the brand... The whole moment gives me chills whenever I reach it in the story.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sydin posted:

Berserk ended with Guts succeeding in his mission to restore Casca's sanity and reach a place of relative safety and peace. Casca still has her own horrible traumas to work through, but just as Guts pushed through all his pain and suffering to once again find the ability to love and rely on others, Casca can too. In his last conversation with SK, Guts learned just how self-destructive the mindless pursuit of revenge can be, and finally cemented that his pursuit of Griffith wasn't worth it: something that the manga had been building to for a long time. The final culmination of Guts telling Zodd to piss off because he cared more about his comrades than "a pissing contest between monsters."

It's not a perfect ending. It certainly wasn't the planned ending. But somehow, someway, even in the face of tragedy circumstances contrived that Berserk's "ending" was, at least, ultimately satisfying of its own overarching themes.

I agree that if Berserk needed to end, here is the best place it could have ended at basically any point in its story to date. Casca is regaining herself, she would have gotten to the point where she could approach Guts and talk to him. Guts was able to rest and was in safety, his followers are also safe, they're not on the loving boat....

But this is just not how it should have ended, the way Miura died is not fair (and I know this happens every day to people who aren't famous, but it's not loving fair then either). I feel selfish because it feels like life stole more Berserk from me, more Miura masterpieces, but the actual tragedy is that the Miura family lost Kentaro way too young, and he gave too much of his life to make his legacy. And I love his legacy, it'll be eternal and extends far beyond the work itself, but the way it had to end feels so wrong.

The fact that he was just a genuinely good person, making sure others were okay, not embroiled in defending the skeezy pedo poo poo in manga recently, hurts more.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I feel you. None of his works would interest my partner, and I only have one friend who likes Berserk so it's hard to truly get across that this japanese comic with lots of tits, gore and swords is actually a deeply emotional story about trauma, grief and persevereing because life and love is worth fighting for until the very end.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The one arc that I think best sums up Berserk to me, that can be taken entirely on its own merits, features some of the worst and most depraved stuff to offer in the manga and some of the most bitterly hopeful and optimistic, is The Lost Children arc.

Its rough and ugly and inelegant and it deserves to be.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I'm now left wondering how much story telling was left, if that one interview with him deciding to wrap up the world building and push the final arc wasn't too far off of the mark of his actual machinations.

Gotta retrain Caska against the years of atrophy (I guess if she's interested in being a soldier again), show more of Falconia being a huge farce, get your epic revenge stories back to a rolling boil, figure out who the weakest link in Griffith's army is that will backstab the kingdom because they feel ignored/sleighted, etc. Not saying this wouldn't have been 10 years worth of content.

Oh, and have a few chapters of double-splashes so Griffith can zip around the battlefield and kill more fantasy monsters that are zero threat to him, but makes the citizenry oooh and ahhh in his presence.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/MRko_aki___/status/1395581370328489985

"yeah, I'll do my best"

:pray:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Andrigaar posted:

I'm now left wondering how much story telling was left, if that one interview with him deciding to wrap up the world building and push the final arc wasn't too far off of the mark of his actual machinations.

Gotta retrain Caska against the years of atrophy (I guess if she's interested in being a soldier again), show more of Falconia being a huge farce, get your epic revenge stories back to a rolling boil, figure out who the weakest link in Griffith's army is that will backstab the kingdom because they feel ignored/sleighted, etc. Not saying this wouldn't have been 10 years worth of content.

Oh, and have a few chapters of double-splashes so Griffith can zip around the battlefield and kill more fantasy monsters that are zero threat to him, but makes the citizenry oooh and ahhh in his presence.

There was probably another 20+ years of content left on Miura's previous schedule, honestly, and an actual ending was probably never on the cards even if Miura were to have passed of old age due to the inevitable loss of dexterity, etc.
He wouldn't have cut corners.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
he said relatively recently that the story was just entering its back-half so there was still clearly a ton of stuff left

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

lih posted:

He said relatively recently that the story was just entering its back-half so there was still clearly a ton of stuff left

Sadly having like the idea pinned down/framework for where it's gonna go didn't have to mean actually close to it, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Rickert kills Griffith and the chain at rises from that hellish Abyss is the section made up of the souls of the Band of the Hawk. He reached the pinnacle upon the mountain of their corpses and now their spirits drag him down, down, down...