Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Maki and Mai would probably be better off starting their own clan at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yup.
Gotta say tho, Makis design this chapter
:discourse: kickass

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I didn't realize Maki and Mai were supposed to be twins. It's more obvious with short hair Maki.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Maki lived a hard life...

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

Maki lived a hard life...

Let's be honest, it's really unlikely they'll die here, cause setting up a super misogyny clan whose beliefs get proven correct would be pretty hosed.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

Let's be honest, it's really unlikely they'll die here, cause setting up a super misogyny clan whose beliefs get proven correct would be pretty hosed.

I know I have crackpot theories but I don't honestly expect her to die here either. But for a character the existed in limbo for months with regards to getting turned into charcoal by Jogo and only Nanami walked away half alive, I'd written her off for a while. Then she not only lives, but this chapter then gives her a glimmer of hope where even her mother gives her some far too late encouragement and she gets punked by her Dad. That's just cruel to a side character

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
I imagine Maki is just getting punked here because this is going to be a shounen fight, and those tend to have reversals and sudden changes of fortune.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Them being twins is absolutely going to matter juju-bullshit wise

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I know I have crackpot theories but I don't honestly expect her to die here either. But for a character the existed in limbo for months with regards to getting turned into charcoal by Jogo and only Nanami walked away half alive, I'd written her off for a while. Then she not only lives, but this chapter then gives her a glimmer of hope where even her mother gives her some far too late encouragement and she gets punked by her Dad. That's just cruel to a side character

Pretty sure that was the opposite of encouragement from her mom.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Pretty sure that was the opposite of encouragement from her mom.

Her mother being there at all and the parting words "make me glad I gave birth to you" is about as close too "don't die" I think their relationship will allow.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Her mother being there at all and the parting words "make me glad I gave birth to you" is about as close too "don't die" I think their relationship will allow.

Her lines before that were Demanding that she not enter, then expressing anger she did not listen to her. Which gave me the impression it's more "Why can't you just do as I ask and make me glad for once I gave birth to you"

I have no reason to give the Zen'ins any positive benefit of the doubt when a negative can just as easily be understood.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Yes, "for once, make me glad that I gave birth to you" is a cruel line showing her mother views her the same way her father does: worthless.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The more of these people we see the more I find it hard to believe that Gojo hasn’t already just murdered them all for being just the worst.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
You just know Maki and Mai have these exact conversations every time they get home.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Them being twins is absolutely going to matter juju-bullshit wise

I can see it being if one dies then the other gets a stronger Heavenly Restriction on par with Toji's.

Edit: Well considering only Maki's got the restriction and is part of the main cast 0% chance this scenario works out for Mai.

TheHan fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 17, 2021

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Ethiser posted:

The more of these people we see the more I find it hard to believe that Gojo hasn’t already just murdered them all for being just the worst.

Honestly the reason for that probably comes down to some variation of "it would upset the balance of the jujutsu world"

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Jujitsu sorcerer's aren't common and I assume the family does contribute to keeping spirits from murdering everyone or other wise causing issues, as well as gogo figuring murdering a bunch of sorcerer's is probably not a way to setup long term stability compared raising a new generation to replace them.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Gojo has explicitly literally contemplated killing all the "higher-ups," though. He thought better of it, but it's something he's considered doing.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I do enjoy that this is a really good look at why Nanami wanted absolutely nothing to do with these people and only came back at all because the work itself was fulfilling.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Unlike many shounen manga (Bleach, Naruto, AoT, BNHA, in particular that I can think of) this one has done a really good job of making the background politics of the world really compelling and have depth that is consistent and meaningful. Especially the deeper we get into it. It is certainly an area that I think shines here and separates it from its brethren.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I have no reason to give the Zen'ins any positive benefit of the doubt when a negative can just as easily be understood.[/spoiler]
That's fair an all but it's pretty clear the mother is trying to stop her daughter from walking into her own death. Who do you think had to carry Mai down here anyways?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

That's fair an all but it's pretty clear the mother is trying to stop her daughter from walking into her own death. Who do you think had to carry Mai down here anyways?

“Saving” Maki’s life is clearly an unintended benefit, the key point here is “obey the men in our family like a proper woman should”

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I am pretty sure that was the dad. You know cause he plans to kill her too.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Oh Snapple! posted:

I do enjoy that this is a really good look at why Nanami wanted absolutely nothing to do with these people and only came back at all because the work itself was fulfilling.

Well Nanami also thought the work was pretty lovely too, cause of the whole possibly dying and your co workers dying. He just thought it made more sense then pointlessly grubbing money to no one's benefit.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

“Saving” Maki’s life is clearly an unintended benefit, the key point here is “obey the men in our family like a proper woman should”
The key point is that despite all the stuff she said, her last lines can be interpreted as a kind of begrudging support. Otherwise do you really think Maki going in there and dying is something that will make the mother feel proud for giving birth to her?

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am pretty sure that was the dad. You know cause he plans to kill her too.
That was an attempt at humor.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Otherwise do you really think Maki going in there and dying is something that will make the mother feel proud for giving birth to her?

No the making her mother feel proud for giving birth to her would have been listening to her mother and not going in.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

No the making her mother feel proud for giving birth to her would have been listening to her mother and not going in.

I feel like the timing of saying that after Maki has deviantly walked past her indicates that she's saying "well if you're dead set on this at least succeed and make it worth my time" but again, I can see your interpretation.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
https://ww1.readjujutsukaisen.com/chapter/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-149/

Speedscan

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
oh poo poo

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Bye bye Mai

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
Mai no ;-;

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

You could see something like this coming a mile away but it still hurts.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
God drat that was rough, but also holy poo poo maki is so badass. Seems like she's about to go to work on the Zenin clan next chapter and I don't know if I can wait a whole week to see that.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Mai: "Rip and tear, until it is done."
Maki:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T12ygsp9Mvg

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Holy gently caress Maki is about to eviscerate the entire Zeinin clan

kudos TheHan for instantly seeing the shape of the narrative coming

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
I would be down for Maki to take the Toji Fushiguro role.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Huh actually now that I think about it, real bold of him to poo poo-talk Heavenly Restrictions when he knows someone like Toji exists.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Arzaac posted:

Huh actually now that I think about it, real bold of him to poo poo-talk Heavenly Restrictions when he knows someone like Toji exists.
Toji was a freak among freaks in that his heavenly restriction was perfect. Zero cursed energy rather than highly suppressed cursed energy, and apparently being at 0 as opposed to minuscule comes with a disproportionate powerup in addition to the fringe benefits of being nearly undetectable to sorcerers who rely on sensing energy.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Toji's a freak among freaks and yet, here we are, Maki rapidly approaching his level.

For something like this to happen twice over the matter of a couple of decades suggests to me that Heavenly Restriction is much more powerful than sorcerers give it credit for, and they're just elitist pricks. Especially the Zenin clan.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Arzaac posted:

Toji's a freak among freaks and yet, here we are, Maki rapidly approaching his level.

For something like this to happen twice over the matter of a couple of decades suggests to me that Heavenly Restriction is much more powerful than sorcerers give it credit for, and they're just elitist pricks. Especially the Zenin clan.
To be fair, even with a perfect heavenly restriction- you need some sort of cursed tool to fight sorcerers past a certain level, and since cursed energy is required to exorcise curses you need one to fight curses at all. Toji couldn't have nearly killed Gojo without a ridiculously powerful tool like the Inverted Spear of Heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

That's fair. I'm sure for a bunch of sorcerers he was fine just being like, effectively invisible to them and armed with a gun, but he definitely needs to break out the cursed tools for the stronger sorcerers. Though I gotta say, regardless of the circumstances, "Almost killed Satoru Gojo" is a hell of a feat I don't think anyone else has even come close to.

I guess my running theory here is that Heavenly Restrictions probably have the potential to be extremely powerful and are mostly held back by prejudice. Like, probably before Toji anyone with a Restriction was just forced to be a servant, or exiled from the clan, or just straight up killed. The Zenin clan especially doesn't seem to have any patience for anyone with low cursed energy.