Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wow that’s dire. So I guess the best way to experience the series is to just read the manga then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

they also routinely swing the camera around awkwardly and I hope the people running that poo poo feel even more shame right now about loving it all up and are never allowed near any project again

IIRC, the studio battled alllllll the way to the last loving minute on what sort of visual style to go for - primarily CG, animated, both, the level of detail, etc. - so the entire thing had to be rushed

I mean the original teaser they put out actually looked pretty good and appeared to be aping the Studio 4C approach to the movies with 2D faces on 3D models which worked well once they got the hang of it, but then when the actual scene rolled around, yikes

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Wow that’s dire. So I guess the best way to experience the series is to just read the manga then.

I would read up until the golden age arc and then watch the 90's anime.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

the 90s anime is incredibly well-done and a good example of doing a lot on a limited budget imo, but just be aware there are some things cut for the sake of the show's focus (e.g. the Skullknight who is massively important, characters like Silat)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

I would read up until the golden age arc and then watch the 90's anime.

What chapters do the 90’s anime/movies cover and does it leave out/change anything significant from the manga version of said arc?

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
The idea that the adaptations can substitute for the manga is ridiculous. They may be experienced in addition to the original, but read the manga first.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

What chapters do the 90’s anime/movies cover and does it leave out/change anything significant from the manga version of said arc?

I covers up to about chapter 100 but as I said you want to start reading the manga first until it gets to the very obvious time skip. From that point it is very accurate up towards the end where a couple characters get cut but you can always just go back to read it after you have reached the end.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

If you like listening to music while reading manga I can wholeheartedly recommend the Susumu Hirasawa OST to the 1997 anime. I always played that when I read a new Berserk chapter.

:'(

Also I just realized Miura's inspiration for Berserk, Guin Saga, also had an author who died in their 50s and never completed their magnum opus.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 21, 2021

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The 90's anime is more or less a faithful adaptation of the Golden Age arc, with a couple things cut for time. I'd highly recommend just reading through the manga before watching it since otherwise you will be very confused about the ending.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Raxivace posted:

Really only problem with the 90's anime is that the prologue arc is just gutted. The Golden Age arc itself is done really quite well but you lose some important context from the prologue.
I should clarify that with this post I'm talking about the 90's anime as a standalone, self-contained story in its own right. I think stuff like Skull Knight getting cut is fine for the anime as its own story, but not as a substitute for the equivalent manga chapters.

If you're reading the manga, read the whole manga.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Larryb posted:

It opens with Snake encounter from the first Volume (chapters 1-8 or 10 maybe), then kinda jumps right into the Golden Age Arc which is Omnibus 2-5.

So it skips to my memory the entire slug apostle story (which is p important as a scene setter for what happens at the end of the Golden Age arc with how Behelits operate, and you can see Griffiths slide coming a bit clearer) and some other references to apostles from the eclipse during the black swordsman prologue.

It also excises the Skull Knight, who is kinda a big deal. I understand why they did but it leaves the finish to the TV series a little confusing I think because they knew they weren't going to get to do more.

The TV series is a really cool self contained story where ruh roh the bad guys won and our hero is in a bad place.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 21, 2021

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
the only animated Berserk thing I need is that Rickert slap AMV

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Like the best way I could put it is that the 90's anime is the story of a guy that will probably spend the rest of the his life seeking revenge and ruining himself forever in the process. The manga, to me, is the story of a guy that gives up revenge for something far greater.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I haven't caught up on what will be volume 41 yet, but I don't see how the story could have any kind of satisfying conclusion without at a minimum the tree and Griffith both getting the boot and Guts has (I think?) the only tool in mankind's possession that could do the job. A final confrontation between the two would seem like the only proper way to end the story, they can't just be having the entire D&D monster manual go sicko mode over 99% on the planet forever

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

hatty posted:

the only animated Berserk thing I need is that Rickert slap AMV

This also

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Like the best way I could put it is that the 90's anime is the story of a guy that will probably spend the rest of the his life seeking revenge and ruining himself forever in the process. The manga, to me, is the story of a guy that gives up revenge for something far greater.

:hai:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Larryb posted:

What’s wrong with the 2016 version exactly?

This is one of very few occasions where "what isn't" is a valid answer.

It's a sick irony that one of the most beautiful manga of all time has the ugliest adaptation ever.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

This gif will always crack me up. There's the obvious gently caress up of Guts' design and movement, and then you have Farnese and Casca slowly sliding out of frame for no reason.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

LordMune posted:

The idea that the adaptations can substitute for the manga is ridiculous. They may be experienced in addition to the original, but read the manga first.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

lezard_valeth posted:

This gif will always crack me up. There's the obvious gently caress up of Guts' design and movement, and then you have Farnese and Casca slowly sliding out of frame for no reason.

Its good something memorable came from the show.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

“Mlah mlah! Mlah mlah! Mlah!”

*thump thump thump thump thump thump thump thump thump*

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

“Mlah mlah! Mlah mlah! Mlah!”

*thump thump thump thump thump thump thump thump thump*

gutz is just dragging his feet or walking on his tip toes instead of walkin like a badass

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

gutz is just dragging his feet or walking on his tip toes instead of walkin like a badass

I always imagined him riding away on an unbalanced washing machine doing its spin cycle.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

In the blu ray they fixed it so that he's doing a gta strut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXs7HQukDXs&t=61s

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Ccs posted:

In the blu ray they fixed it so that he's doing a gta strut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXs7HQukDXs&t=61s

God drat they had the chance to clean it up for a blu ray and some of that looks....WORSE?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

lezard_valeth posted:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The Notorious ZSB posted:

God drat they had the chance to clean it up for a blu ray and some of that looks....WORSE?

The director and studio are incompetent, to say the least.

Anyway the Studio 4c movies sure look great aside from a bit of dodgy CG. The cuts that work reallllly work.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Was the voice work and music ok at least? And did anyone from the 90’s series return to reprise their role?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

A conversation with a friend.

A: Miura’s no longer with us. You should read Berserk.
B: Good idea. Isn’t there an anime? I’ll watch the anime first. I’m really busy.
A: I’d highly suggest you read it instead. The art is incredible.
B: I’m actually quite busy, so no. Dubbed anime.
A: If you really don’t have time to read it, just hold off until you do. You’re making a bad choice.
B: Dubbed anime.

*sigh*

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't mind the 1997's dub all that much.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I quite like the movies and their dub too, personally.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Larryb posted:

Was the voice work and music ok at least? And did anyone from the 90’s series return to reprise their role?

Voices are ok. There is some good music out there, specially the openings. The sound effects though...it's as if they wanted to make both a visually and auditive offensive adaptation.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nate RFB posted:

I don't mind the 1997's dub all that much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOjxSEolWmM

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Larryb posted:

Voices are all fine. Skull Knight especially sounds suitably cool, Guts sounds great, etc. etc. But the sword noises....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxk1syuf5lo

It really sucks because the volumes they adapted in 2016 and 2017 are some of my favorite from the whole series. I suffered through both seasons, seeing the occasional shot that didn't look like a total mess, and trying to get the most out of it from the voice work and what what left of the manga's aesthetic.... but no, it's just a terrible adaption. The result of a studio and director both totally unfamiliar with the technology and processes and even basic tenets of cinematography, in over their heads and drowning.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 21, 2021

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
I got into Berserk because of the anime - it ends on such a singularly apocalyptic note and the only hint you have that Guts even survives is the stuff from the in-media-res first episode. It made me want to read the manga.

I generally think it's more satisfying to watch video versions before reading things because you get a big taste of everything that printed versions can then unpack and expand. Going the opposite way almost always leads to a jarring sense of "I didn't think they'd sound like that" or "hey they cut my favourite part out" etc etc. And then when you return to the video later it still has that nostalgia of your first contact with the material.

A minority opinion: I don't hate the 2016 series as much as most people. I grew up playing a lot of PS1/2 games and really digging the stories even though they were technically kinda primitive by today's standards so I can sort of watch around the shabby animation without real issues. I find the 90s anime to be just as second-rate actually, in terms of visuals. Tons of episodes are filled with the camera just panning across an illustration while Hirasawa's soundtrack saves it from feeling as cheap as it looks. I still like both though.

Also the new anime gave us this over the top final boss poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBdnti4_UUg

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

1997 is a great example of doing a lot with a little. Animation is rough or even nonexistent but the draftsmanship is consistently top notch and the composition of every shot completely works. Combine that with the stellar voice acting and music and you've got a great show.

The epitome of this is the promo trailer. Almost no animation, just character faces with a voice over and an absolutely amazing stinger noise at the end that really drives home the foreboding. Its an absolute masterclass of tone:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7TuqwOOgyoo

Ccs fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 21, 2021

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Schnoz is iconic.

That he is;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdEYii0dGxk

Popo posted:

Since we're sharing other people fanboying over Miura's incredible sense of design I'll throw in this;

https://bogleech.com/halloween/hall14-trollcaves.html

He goes page by page of the Qilpoth chapter talking about every little beastie there is, talking about the real world animals that possibly inspired them or just marvelling at the strange ideas. Each description is just a few sentences but it really shows the density of unique creatures Miura creates for just one or two panels.

Yeah that's a good one

Kart Barfunkel posted:

A conversation with a friend.

A: Miura’s no longer with us. You should read Berserk.
B: Good idea. Isn’t there an anime? I’ll watch the anime first. I’m really busy.
A: I’d highly suggest you read it instead. The art is incredible.
B: I’m actually quite busy, so no. Dubbed anime.
A: If you really don’t have time to read it, just hold off until you do. You’re making a bad choice.
B: Dubbed anime.

*sigh*

Tell him he's being a moron

These are gold however

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So the 2016 anime is a disaster in most respects then, good to know. Out of curiosity though, how much of the manga does it actually cover and is anything cut or changed like was the case in the 90’s series?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

97 dub has the best outtakes.

Ccs posted:

The director and studio are incompetent, to say the least.

Anyway the Studio 4c movies sure look great aside from a bit of dodgy CG. The cuts that work reallllly work.

I agree the Golden Age Arc movies were def better, esp by the third one with the Eclipse it was really sorted out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Larryb posted:

So the 2016 anime is a disaster in most respects then, good to know. Out of curiosity though, how much of the manga does it actually cover and is anything cut or changed like was the case in the 90’s series?

I think the third episode changed some stuff, they go to this abandoned mansion and they expanded a bit of plot there for some reason, it doesn't really have any bearing on anything.